PDA

View Full Version : The Printed Blank Text Box Character #2

Shinguyi
04-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Thinking to Kaden* and seeing a lot of blank text box foundations made me think that it would be cool if a character could take advantage of playing Blank text box foundations. Promo material a la Sasha*, I came up with a possible character with the following abilities and am curious to what people think:

Character
Name: (Unknown Name)
Symbols: Air Earth Good
Hand Size: 6
Vitality: 24
Ability 1: You may play foundations with a blank text box as mid attacks with speed and damage values equal to that card's difficulty. Foundations played as attacks this way are considered both an attack and a foundation for card effects, and have their own Enhance Step, Block Step and Damage Step. Foundations played as attacks are added to your staging area committed when cleared from your Card Pool.

Ability 2: First F: Add 1 card with a printed blank text box from your discard pile to your hand.

Playable? Too strong? Fun? Too sucky?

Cetonis
04-07-2014, 11:21 AM
16 lines of text >.<

Shinguyi
04-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Haha, that is true. Didn't think about that one.

wafflecopter
04-07-2014, 01:01 PM
It's kinda weird that you get to just +1 handsize for free if you have a blank foundation in your bin. Also, what zone are the foundation-attacks?

From a balance perspective, I'm horrified if this character could play Righteousness and at least 15 blank foundations, especially if cards like Regretful Existence exist to help the 1- and 2-diff slaps matter. You could easily end up with an incredibly consistent 50+ 5cc deck

Shinguyi
04-07-2014, 01:25 PM
It's kinda weird that you get to just +1 handsize for free if you have a blank foundation in your bin. Also, what zone are the foundation-attacks?

From a balance perspective, I'm horrified if this character could play Righteousness and at least 15 blank foundations, especially if cards like Regretful Existence exist to help the 1- and 2-diff slaps matter. You could easily end up with an incredibly consistent 50+ 5cc deck

Forgot the zone and Once per turn clause, haha. Changed that. Removed the damage and speed bonus part.

Righteousness is rotating out so I thought of it in Standard after the rotation. Regretful Existence would also be rotating out. I do see what you mean though.

Currently the blank text box foundations that will be legal after rotation are: Naivete (1/5 Good) would turn into a 1M1, Lab Assistant (2/6 Good) would turn into a 2M2, Lone Wanderer (3/6 Air Earth) would turn into a 3M3 and Gentle Soul (1/5 Air Earth) would turn into a 1M1. You would still need to play by resource chain as the foundations are face up.

dracomageat
05-02-2014, 09:28 AM
So you get an attack for every blank foundation at the sole cost of it not being ready during your opponent's turn? And any such foundations you check instantly go to your hand?
This may not be too abusable in the current meta but that doesn't stop it being broken in general.

Reduce it to "F, Commit 1 foundation: You may play a foundation with a printed blank textbox as though it were a mid attack with speed and damage values equal to its difficulty. It may not be added to your momentum." and the first ability might be ok.

The second ability doesn't seem too bad on its own when compared to the likes of ::Sakura:: but it does allow infinite recursion of the foundations if you use my change to the first ability. I would consider changing it to something that specifically cares about blank attacks. Maybe shoving 1 into your momentum each turn to counterbalance the lack of momentum gain off the first ability.

Shinguyi
05-02-2014, 12:14 PM
The blank foundation needs to be in hand to be able to perform it as an attack. The blank foundations you check don't go to hand. Adding them to staging area is to prevent them from going to momentum.

The basic idea is to let you be able to play printed blank text box foundations as printed blank text box attacks by mid, with speed and damage values equal to their difficulty. Then, once per turn, you can add one printed blank text box card from your discard pile to your hand, so it could be an attack or a foundation with printed blank text box.

dracomageat
05-07-2014, 04:38 PM
Yes but you end up getting both the attack and the foundation out of the one play and, off of the second ability, you will be able to do so atleast once a turn in a deck built to abuse it. There is very little downside to this tactic, either.

I understand that this character is very limited in the current environment but in a more ideal one (IE. with its own support cards) it can and will play 6 attacks turn 2 and 7 every turn thereafter, with no chance of failure. Isn't that just a tad too much?

vaporgecko
05-07-2014, 05:25 PM
My riff on your original idea:

Name: (Unknown Name)
Symbols: Air Earth Good
Vitality: 24
F: Play a printed blank foundation from your hand as a mid-zone attack with speed and damage equal to it's difficulty with it's own Enhance Step, Block Step and Damage Step. If this attack deals damage, add it to your staging area committed during your End Phase as a Foundation. If it does not deal damage, discard it during your End Phase.

F: Add 1 Foundation with a printed blank text box from your discard pile to your hand. Only Playable once per turn.

The deck would pretty much let you run with loads of extra attacks to provide you with consistency. To compensate for that, you should not be able to freely gain those Attacks as fancy Foundations. You also have to specify that the second ability doesn't fetch back other cards like Kaiden's attacks or Universal Fighter.

My own Blank Text Box character:
[Air, Earth, Order]
Vitality: 28
Control Checks both players make to play cards with printed blank text boxes get +1.

First F Destroy 1 Foundation: For the rest of this turn, whenever your commit any number of blank foundation to pass a control check to play an attack, that attack gets +2 speed and +2 damage.

I intentionally allowed this character to benefit from Kaiden blanks and face-down foundations. It might be too good. The hard part about balancing something like this is that blank cards are generally pretty awesome at the start of the game, and then become very week toward the end of the game. To help compensate for that this guy is pretty decent with regular attacks and flippy foundations later in the game, but also pretty cool with blanks at the start.

Shinguyi
05-07-2014, 06:32 PM
The idea was to be able to net attacks and foundations, as long as they had blank textboxes. To counter the card advantage it could create though, was considering lowering the hand size.

Wanted to try and design something that could take full advantage of running printed blank stuff a la Kaden, considering running a lot of them won't be completely beneficial since its vanilla attacks everywhere. Seeing a lot of recursion on a lot of characters currently out, wanted to try and give it a recursion of sorts that could pick up attacks as well as foundations depending on the situation, but able to pick up just anything.

Maybe lowering the Hand Size to 5 and increase the vitality makes it more balanced? I mean, you do get to pick any blank card back although foundations as attacks don't work very well considering the highest one you could play is 3 difficulty, making it a 3M3 with no abilities.

dracomageat
05-08-2014, 08:09 AM
Yes, it's an abilityless 3M3 for 3 but its control is a 6, it has a good block and it's a free foundation to boost future checks. That is one heck of a strong card!

Except it's not. Lone Wanderer is a perfectly average foundation, maybe even a little on the weak side. If this character were to be printed along with support, every accompanying foundation would be on a similar level.

For this character, playing a foundation as an attack will always be better than playing one as a foundation and, with cards like Lone Wanderer, will tend to be better than running attack cards aswell. That is game breaking.

Shinguyi
05-08-2014, 09:28 AM
Well the character itself won't have support designed for it, considering it has a Promo mindset a la Sasha, Ulrik, Sevastian, etc. Only support it will ever have are the Kaden blank attacks and blank support, the Mega Man blank foundations, the Proto Man blank foundations and support, Carefree and Astaroth's Body Splash or whichever other blank card comes out by those symbols in sets.

But I see what you mean.

Cetonis
05-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Air, Earth, Order]
Vitality: 28
Control Checks both players make to play cards with printed blank text boxes get +1.

First F Destroy 1 Foundation: For the rest of this turn, whenever your commit any number of blank foundation to pass a control check to play an attack, that attack gets +2 speed and +2 damage.

This is the only one that would actually fit in a text box -.-'

Is it intentional that the first ability makes the second one harder to use?

Also, just for clarity, I'd rather say "foundations with no abilities", so that we don't play with the question of face downs' printed vs not printed boxes... really everything surrounding non-printed blank text boxes is a bit weird right now. If I Memories something, does that count? If a face down foundation gains abilities somehow, does it still have a non-printed blank text box? Do added abilities go into the non-printed text box?

Moral: Non-printed blank text box effects suck rules-wise >.<

vaporgecko
05-09-2014, 08:43 AM
This is the only one that would actually fit in a text box -.-'

I certainly hope so! I design cards for a living after all.

Is it intentional that the first ability makes the second one harder to use?

Note that the second ability does not care if the Attack you are playing is blank. So if you want to ensure you commit foundations you can just run attacks that have abilities and not benefit from the CC boosting.

Also, just for clarity, I'd rather say "foundations with no abilities", so that we don't play with the question of face downs' printed vs not printed boxes... really everything surrounding non-printed blank text boxes is a bit weird right now. If I Memories something, does that count? If a face down foundation gains abilities somehow, does it still have a non-printed blank text box? Do added abilities go into the non-printed text box?

Moral: Non-printed blank text box effects suck rules-wise >.<

I can see going with the "foundations with no abilities" route. It is intended to provide the bonus if you commit Carefree, a face down foundation, or a foundation that has been "blanked" (i.e. Ka Technique or No Memories).