PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Flare + Curse of the ancient mariner?

Birch
08-28-2010, 09:07 PM
The question i have is if I have the static of shadow flare neg my check -1 and then I use the enhace to give my checks +1 how would Curse's combo effect resolve that? Would it get plus 0 because the "Accumulated number is 0" or would it get powerful 2, because the check was minused one and plused one?
It was ruled by our local judge (very reliable source) that it would be 0, and I trust his judgement, but I just wanna make sure.

Another example i can give u if the other isnt clear enough is using the R ability on Acheron and Nirvana to give your check for an ability +3 and having shadow flare in your card pool to minus all checks by one. Would this mean the Combo ability on Curse would give it Powerful: 2?

One again I trust our judge, but i want a second opinion maybe in my favor lol :D

Shinguyi
08-28-2010, 09:17 PM
For the first case I'd say it is a Powerful:2. Both effects are floating effects and by the time you make the control check for the ability, you resolve both floating effects in any order you wish which would make the control check modified twice.

I'm not a Scout, so I may be wrong.

KodiakZero
08-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Id say it gets Powerful: 2, pretty much because of the same statement above. The control check is modified by 2, but i could be wrong because how it all works out. I don't see why they would print a card like that for the same character if it had conflicting abilities, especially because those cards are made for each other lol.

Tagrineth
08-29-2010, 03:39 AM
The modifications are tallied up individually rather than taking the final result. Shadow Flare for example would result in Powerful:2, and if you have Acheron & Nirvana down that would make it Powerful:5, etc.

RockStar
08-29-2010, 08:37 AM
Waitaminute...so you're saying that in a scenario such as this:

Jin Kazama +2 CC --> SF (blocked) --> SF (deals dmg) --> CotAM = Powerful:5 ?? and not Powerful:3 ??

Nubian God
08-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Right you are! Tell your friends!

bloodocean
08-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Wow, that makes shadow flare and CotAM even better than I thought they were. Now if I could get this thing to land more often.

I'm a bit confused on why this works though. Think you could break this down even simpler for me? For reference the combo in questions says: This attack gets powerful X. X is equals the amount the control check to play this ability was modified by card effects.

Shinguyi
08-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Think of it this way, count the number of abilities which modified the check, and that is the powerful rating.

bloodocean
08-29-2010, 11:00 AM
So basically, just count negative as positives then? If I understand this correctly Acheron and Nirvana counts as three separate times the check is modified instead of a cumulative +3.

Shinguyi
08-29-2010, 12:02 PM
For Acheron and Nirvana its only one modification if you use the response, since its one ability. Take this situation for example when using Cervantes:

-Shadow Flare Static effect modified the check to -1.
-Shadow Flare Enhance was successful; control checks have been modified twice so far.
-Played Curse of the Ancient Mariner.
-Used Acheron and Nirvana's Enhance to modify next control check to get +1; control checks have been modified three times so far.
-Used Response on Acheron and Nirvana for Curse of the Ancient Mariner's Enhance; control check for the ability has been modified 4 times by now: One -1 from Shadow Flare, one +1 from Shadow Flare, one +1 from Acheron and Nirvana's Enhance and one +3 from Acheron and Nirvana's Response. Or so I think since Curse of the Ancient Mariner says how many times the control check has been modified (which kind of contradicts Tagrineth)...

Sorry if it isn't and sorry if its a bit wrong... not sure if my take is the correct one or if its Tagrineth's since Curse of the Ancient Mariner says "times it has been modified" and not "how much the control check has been increased". ^^;

Tagrineth
08-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Or so I think since Curse of the Ancient Mariner says how many times the control check has been modified

Incorrect.

Bloodocean's post above cites the correct text - it says "the amount the control check . . . was modified", it does not care about the number of times it was modified. It's looking at the absolute total of all +X and -X modifications combined.

Birch
08-29-2010, 01:43 PM
I need a tie breaker lol. now ive got a reliable source both ways lol.

Shinguyi
08-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Incorrect.

Bloodocean's post above cites the correct text - it says "the amount the control check . . . was modified", it does not care about the number of times it was modified. It's looking at the absolute total of all +X and -X modifications combined.

Alright. Thanks for clarification; must have read it wrong, hehe.

SMazzurco
08-29-2010, 02:24 PM
its the absolute value of all the modifcations

|modification 1| + |modifation 2| + etc...

In "old dog new tricks" i used 1-dot Zhai Dayou to give my CC for the ability -5, Acheron and Nirvana to give +3, popped 2 chasing after the powers for a total of +4, resulting in a net +2 to my check and powerful 12