PDA

View Full Version : PTC Poughkeepsie - July 26th-27th - plus Empire Circuit final!

Cetonis
06-10-2014, 11:40 PM
Poughkeepsie is having its first PTC event on July 26th and 27th at Alterniverse! This will be the last major before Worlds, and while Darkstalkers won't be legal for the PTC itself, it should still be a fine opportunity to get a feel for some decks and have an overall good time.

Details

Alterniverse
2510 Rt. 44
Salt Point, NY 12578

Format: Standard

Entry Fee: $20 pre-registration (once it's up), $25 at the door

Prizes: The winner will receive a plane voucher to get to US Nats or Gencon, as well as a first round bye to use at one of those events. There will also be pack prizes for the top 8.

And of course, as the sixth and final event of the '13-14 Empire Circuit, circuit points will be up for grabs as well~

Time:

Registration opens at 10AM on Saturday. The event begins at 11.

Please prepare your decklists (print here! (http://organizedplay.jascogames.com/Downloads/UFS%20Signup-Decklist.pdf)) ahead of time, and bring your decks sorted so that a pre-event deck check can be done.

We will play through swiss, as well as the first round of top cuts, on Saturday. There will be a break for lunch after round 3 of swiss. Overall we should be done around 7-9PM, so a dinner outing afterwards is likely.

On Sunday, the PTC Semifinals will begin at 10AM, followed by the Finals for the plane ticket and ever-valuable first round bye!

Upon its completion, the final draft for the '13-'14 Empire Circuit top six will commence, with the two top seeds receiving byes. The winner will receive an additional plane voucher - that's two tickets punched in one day!

In the meantime, we will of course have some side event(s) going for those not involved in the top 4 or EC festivities. RochesterCCG is going to endeavor to have some Darkstalkers tins on hand so that we can do some release weekend sealed, or if people want to we can also do some manner of Darkstalkers-legal standard event. (either with proxies, or real cards should people have them in time)

--------

Travel

The airport situation is a little tricky but options-laden:

- The closest airport is in Newburgh, but it's a smaller one and will often take an extra connection = more money.

- You can fly into LaGuardia or JFK, as there is a train running from Grand Central to Poughkeepsie every 20-60 minutes or so. Just be sure to add 1.5-2 hours and $20-30 each way to your travel plans.

- If you come in Thursday evening, I can pick some people up from the Hartford airport and stow them at my place. I'll be driving into Poughkeepsie Friday morning, likely with a stop at Rein's (one of my local good-food places) for breakfast first.

Though of course, my car can only fit so many other people, so after the first 3 or maaaybe 4 someone will need to have a rental.

For housing options near the venue, I don't have much of any say in securing crash space. I'll be staying with some parent or another probably, but not my houses, not me having to clean, etc. Not sure if anyone from the Poughkeepsie group might have space to offer, but failing that there are numerous hotels and such in Hyde Park and surrounding areas.

--------

Around town

If you are around on Friday, we'll likely be doing some measure of touring around. Hyde Park is the home of the Franklin D. Roosevelt estate for those interested in history stuffs, and the area is also home to a pedestrian bridge over the Hudson River that makes for a nice 20-40 minute break.

Various parks and sites and such abound, and of course if we get bored we can always occupy some place and break out the board games. (or Darkstalkers cards!)

The local mall just had an electric cart racing track move in. I'm not exactly sure of the details/pricing/etc. but if people are interested we may be able to do something Friday night. I'm going to try to drop by and check the place out this coming weekend.

There isn't a ton in terms of good-eats places (lots of chains and decent-eats places), though there is a good-teas place near the second shop they play at in Poughkeepsie. That will be visited.

There's also a little shop in Hyde Park with wine-infused ice cream. I don't drink so I don't really know what that means, but apparently it's fairly rare. Place has decent food as well.

--------

Empire Circuit standings

These should probably go up here as well. For those unfamiliar, points can be earned as follows:

5 - Singles event win
4 - Singles 2nd place, Teams win
3 - Singles top 4, Teams 2nd place
2 - Singles top 8, Teams top 4, PTC TO Duty
1 - Participation

In addition, each player's lowest score is dropped.

Standings going into the PTC, serving as the sixth and final leg of the '13-'14 Empire Circuit:

Total Points - Name - (Long Island - Oneida - Wappingers - New Jersey - Rochester) - Min/Max possible points

15 - Ryan Field - (5-3-2-3-4) - 17/20
15 - Kevin Broberg - (3-4-2-3-5) - 17/20

13 - Sean O'Brien - (2-2-4-5-2) - 15/18
12 - Jared Bohizic - (2-5-3-2-1) - 13/17
11 - Tim Keefe - (1-3-3-2-3) - 13/13
9 - Jack Hale - (4-2-1-2-1) - 10/14

8 - Jeffrey Kahn - (0-2-4-0-2) - 8/13
8 - Matt Hughes - (0-2-4-0-2) - 8/13

6 - Shane Duckworth - (0-0-0-4-2) - 6/11
6 - Rich Goetschius - (0-1-3-1-1) - 6/11
6 - Christine O'Brien - (2-1-2-1-1) - 7/11

--------

It is a little close to Worlds, but hopefully people can make it out. The last event in the area got 24 people just for an EC, and that was before PA got rolling again. So we should be able to have a pretty sizable event if we can get some travel warriors to come :)

S_OBrien
06-11-2014, 06:39 AM
I am so happy we got this as a PTC

wafflecopter
06-11-2014, 07:36 AM
I am so happy we got this as a PTC

Me too buddy! I'm going for the triple-crown of NY plane tickets :D

Twin44
06-11-2014, 07:48 AM
Me too buddy! I'm going for the triple-crown of NY plane tickets :D

I will do everything in my power to prevent this.

Starfleetjedi
06-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Oh boy, there's a potential chance giggles and I could top 4 over Jack, and have to duke it out for the last spot in the draft. Hopefully my place to stay is secure so I can go to this without eating into Gencon money.

boredtodeath0321
06-11-2014, 12:51 PM
I so want to make this but prices for tickets are out of my range since I am planing to go to gen con as well. So I will see everyone again at that time.

dutpotd
06-11-2014, 01:03 PM
Barring death or disaster I will make a point of visiting you folks out East for this event.

S_OBrien
06-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Barring death or disaster I will make a point of visiting you folks out East for this event.

Syre, you'll come out for their event and not mine. Jerk. :)

dutpotd
06-11-2014, 02:16 PM

I wanted to come to yours but it was the end of April, I was still chained to something in my office...

boredtodeath0321
06-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Chains? Im sure it was because of your th......

Twin44
06-11-2014, 03:29 PM

We're just that sexy here in Poughkeepsie.

But this is shaping up to be an epic event! I'm hoping this hits astronomical numbers and soars into 30+ participants! Why? Because madness!!!!!

I've also got a question on the Empire Circuit standings. In the event of Ties for points, what is the first tie-breaker? I'm assuming it goes to to people that were at more/every event, then to most 1st places, 2nd places, then so on?

Cetonis
06-11-2014, 05:27 PM
Yes, total points before the dropped score is first, followed by most wins / 2nds / etc.

Starfleetjedi
06-11-2014, 05:32 PM
thats the issue though I think, Giggles and I have the same record and didn't participate in the same events, plus we were both on the same team for teams in Poughkeepsie.

Cetonis
06-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Hmm... well, the only way for this to come up is if the two of you take 3rd and 4th at the PTC, and Jack misses top cuts, and nobody at 6 points wins the event. It can happen, but I vote cross if we come to it. We can figure out something.

S_OBrien
06-11-2014, 07:25 PM
I thought we did tie breakers based on the dropped score

Starfleetjedi
06-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Which we both have zero :D

Twin44
06-12-2014, 10:39 AM
Guess it's a good thing that I asked. I must of gotten confused along the way if it's not my number of showing, but the first tie breaker favors someone that has shown up to every event. I think either way, five spots are locked in place, and the rest of the contenders are in for sixth. Too much math and craziness involved for detail. So trust me.

What is the top 6 draft with anyway?

Cetonis
06-12-2014, 10:41 AM
NeoMax.

Hint: Draft Air, Void, Fire or Death.

Twin44
06-12-2014, 11:05 AM
Boring!!!!!

Cetonis
06-12-2014, 11:09 AM
You'd rather draft Ruler of Maxima?

Twin44
06-12-2014, 11:13 AM
DS Tin Sealed/Draft!

Just kidding, but no ideas for a block draft or something?

Cetonis
06-12-2014, 11:26 AM
A DS Tin Sealed/Draft would be fun, but I suspect people would call it spectacularly unfair to have me participating in such a thing :/

KoF Block draft is tough to make work I think. At minimum you need to ban Maxima and maybe the other tanks, and then drafting a given symbol seems like it'd be pretty tough after that.

You're probably limited to symbols that appear at least twice in each set, and have quality cards in the 2-of case.

wafflecopter
06-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Hint: Draft Air, Void, Fire or Death.I mean, it's really "Draft Team Psycho Soldier, or draft Team Art of Fighting, and stay open to maybe jumping ship to an off-target character/symbol if things break that way." Like, Terry has garbage symbols, but if no one is heavy Air and you get good Takuma/Mai stuff, almost no one is going to fight you for Terry's cards and you can build an All deck.

I don't know why you like Fire > Order though. If you're playing Kyo, wouldn't you rather have Robert's kicks to go with your REDs, plus an extra character (Takuma) worth of filler, versus Iori's stuff? Actually, is Iori any good in draft? I dismissed him as constructed-only, but I guess if you're making unblockable pokes, that's cool

Cetonis
06-12-2014, 11:44 AM
Its just about what's contested. If you try to go Order anybody, you might as well be playing Air because you gain Mai/Ash in exchange for Kyo. In that regard Fire has two uncontested characters (provided nobody makes a poor decision and tries to draft order or evil) and can fill with Ryo a bit.

wafflecopter
06-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Strategy aside, do we actually have two boxes of NeoMax to draft with?

Cetonis
06-12-2014, 01:03 PM
Sean has a couple set aside that I'm going to buy off of him.

Twin44
06-13-2014, 07:58 AM
I personally don't think it's unfair to have you participate in a DS setup. We did the same thing with MegaMan when you were there and it didn't automatically make you win.

onibas
06-20-2014, 08:11 AM
i hope we get a good amount of people to come out to pk should be fun

Drewkasa
06-20-2014, 11:47 AM
Still working on if we will have some Michigan guys going. With it being as far as ATL, and much closer to Gen Con, it's been a tough sell. We are trying our best, but if any, it might end up being a small amount, like 2-4 people. I am currently planning on attending Melt Bar and Grilled Christmas in July event that Friday in Cleavland, so might as well just drive 6 or 7 more hours if I am that close, eh? :p

SevenUpYours
06-22-2014, 11:40 PM
Okay making a point of saying this, I personally will be there, this is a definite thing, the attendence of Muten and our Lackies is still up in the air due to money constraints and time. I will have a final list of people going by at latest the weekend before the event. (though if any more then just I go I have no idea where the :):):):) we would stay for the night if we decided to hang out the whole weekend not just saturday)

dutpotd
06-26-2014, 09:36 AM
I've booked my accommodation (in Pough) so I'm there.

Unfortunately, it will just be me from Calgary for this one - too costly for others to justify it pre-gencon.

Cetonis
06-26-2014, 10:24 AM
Gotcha. When are you getting in? (Do you need rides or anything?)

dutpotd
06-26-2014, 11:09 AM
Gotcha. When are you getting in? (Do you need rides or anything?)

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it, currently I am thinking I will fly into LaGaurdia/JFK Friday evening (travel all day Friday) and simply rent a car for the weekend, i.e. be completely self sufficient if at all possible.

Cetonis
06-26-2014, 12:11 PM
I'll make a general advisory against driving a car through NYC on a Friday evening; if it's not too much more expensive, flying into Hartford will put you maybe 20 minutes further away but with less threat of traffic and nonsense. Or, using subways/Metro North railroad to get to Poughkeepsie and have a rental car pick you up or some such.

There are a couple other airports that are closer, but they are also smaller and probably more pricey.

dutpotd
06-26-2014, 12:24 PM
I'll make a general advisory against driving a car through NYC on a Friday evening; if it's not too much more expensive, flying into Hartford will put you maybe 20 minutes further away but with less threat of traffic and nonsense. Or, using subways/Metro North railroad to get to Poughkeepsie and have a rental car pick you up or some such.

There are a couple other airports that are closer, but they are also smaller and probably more pricey.

I think I'll take your word for it, assuming the prices are right.

dutpotd
06-26-2014, 01:07 PM
Ok, yeah I booked my flight into and out of Hartford, same price or so as it would have cost to do JFK/LaGaurdia/whatever.

I get in to Hartford Friday at 510pm, and I don't leave until Monday at 535pm - so should be absolutely no rushing around for me.

If plans to do something evolve Friday night I'd be down for it.

SevenUpYours
06-30-2014, 10:12 PM
Okay i need to ask this now. If more than just I come up out of my group is there somewhere we would be able to crash for Saturday night? If it's just me I can crash in my car and not care but If Muten and Dom or any of the others decide to come and we don't head home Saturday night It would be good if there was somewhere we could crash since it makes no sense to spend extra cash on a hotel room an hour and a half from home.

Cetonis
07-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Friendly reminder to people to pre-register :) You save $5, and I've heard it leads to added prize support.

As of today, I'd say we're expecting to have... probably in the 20-30 range for attendance. Should be a solid event, and (suddenly) also a great chance to try out your decks for Worlds!

ATLPiglet
07-08-2014, 08:53 PM
Wish I could go to this guys, the EC is a very cool idea you guys run, also, I am rooting for my man Paddy O'Brien! Let's go big daddy! Bring it on home!

S_OBrien
07-08-2014, 08:58 PM
No way I am going to let waffle copter triple crown.

Shaneth
07-09-2014, 02:05 AM
No way I am going to let waffle copter triple crown.

You got me there too. His fate is looking quite grim ;)
the student always overcomes the teacher

Starfleetjedi
07-09-2014, 10:19 AM
I think Kevin's head is on everyone's sights.

wafflecopter
07-09-2014, 10:26 AM
So it's gonna be like this, huh? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwIIDzrVVdc)

Deck Dont Matter
07-09-2014, 11:31 AM
I think your right Kevin, bring your A game it seems.

dutpotd
07-09-2014, 11:35 AM
I just realized 3 PTC winners will be in attendance at this thing. So I'd presume most everyone else will be wanting it a bit more, and/or wanting to make sure none of us win a second one :)

Brodiewan
07-09-2014, 08:23 PM
So it's gonna be like this, huh? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwIIDzrVVdc)

That's awesome!

Cetonis
07-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Looked into that cart racing track and got an event reserved for Friday from 9PM to midnight.

It's $60 a person, but I can offer to cover half - so $30 a head if you want to come. We get three 14-lap races (8 people at a time) around a quarter-mile track in carts that go up to 50 mph. Though I imagine that 50 mph requires not hitting every wall ever :P

Off the track, we'll get an event room to hang out in, a host/hostess which I assume means food, "medals" for the top 3 apparently, and it looks like there's some minimal arcade setup.

Post here or otherwise let me know if interested :)

GTORules
07-18-2014, 11:34 PM
Not sure how late we will be in exactly but it sounds like a blast.

S_OBrien
07-19-2014, 08:07 AM
We probably won't get in umtil.closer to 11 :(

Edit: trying to get in for 9 pm

dutpotd
07-19-2014, 08:31 AM
I'm 100% interested.

dutpotd
07-21-2014, 11:15 AM
Any update on Friday night activity? Namely, the 'where' is what I'd be concerned about since I've got the rental card and need to map some things out :)

Cetonis
07-21-2014, 11:23 AM
The track is in the Poughkeepsie Galleria mall. Don't know its numerical address but I'd hope a good gps would know it. Not sure exactly where we might be prior to 9pm, might depend on who's in town when.

dutpotd
07-21-2014, 11:42 AM
K cool, all of 6 min drive from my hotel thing. Thanks Tim.

GTORules
07-23-2014, 09:24 AM
With the Purple Card winner Astaroth winning as of 11PM last night will he be legal for this?

Cetonis
07-23-2014, 10:47 AM
Yeah he will be. Thus is the nature of the purple card. Fortunately I can't imagine this changes anyone else's deck, (it's not like you can really tech specially for him) there just might be someone who swaps to Astaroth.

GTORules
07-23-2014, 10:56 AM
Yeah he will be. Thus is the nature of the purple card. Fortunately I can't imagine this changes anyone else's deck, (it's not like you can really tech specially for him) there just might be someone who swaps to Astaroth.

I am trying to decide to play him or Vincent lol.

dutpotd
07-24-2014, 09:17 AM
I'm excited for this. You Easterners better beat me up good to give me some additional incentive to practice for Gencon!

Starfleetjedi
07-24-2014, 11:34 AM
Gonna ask this here since Kevin didn't tell me if you responded yesterday Tim. Some of us from Rochester can't go, but Jesse already preregistered. So he doesn't lose out on 20$, can I use his preregister in my name?

Shaneth
07-26-2014, 01:26 AM
I'm gonna throw down at the showdown in potown

Ptc in 7 hr and i can't sleep cuz UFS is too damn good

Shaneth
07-26-2014, 04:37 AM
well, a cat jumped on me and woke me up and I haven't been able to go back asleep.

I guess ill never be able to truly sleep before a UFS event :(