PDA

View Full Version : My fourth place showdown at Potown tournament report

FiveCard
07-28-2014, 08:45 PM
My Potown tournament report, I played Kim went 3-1-1 getting 3rd seed after swiss.

Round 1 I played against astroth being played by Matt
Game 1 I basically built up 10 foundations by turn 3 and threw my kicks at him and eventually broke thru his few blocks he had.

Game 2 same thing really, I believe I played out around 8 foundations and a team Kim and easily had the setup by turn 3 for game .

1-0-0
Round 2 i played k' being played by Kevin

Game 1 i checked pretty bad and it was over fairly fast with him winning game 1

Game 2 I killed him by turn 3-4

Game 3 was probably my best game played all weekend even tho I lost it I would of won it if he didn't revoke my +2 damage E, I couldn't play out another kick because I was committed out and unable to pass a 6 check with my 4 6checks in discard pile I was glad I got that close to beating him he gave me a hell of a match.

1-1-0

Round 3 I play against my teammate Shane he's playing k' so by the end of round 3 I played 6 games against k' all in a row go figure lol.

Game 1 we both are building evenly eventually he won game 1
Game 2 I killed him after building up my foundations for a few turns
Game 3 I killed him turn 2 after building 5 foundations turn 1

2-1-0

Round 4 I played against nick who was playing Paul bitner

Game 1 we built foundations with me unable to draw at least 2 attacks until turn 5 -6 it was to late and he eventually won.

Game 2 I killed him turn 2 after building foundations turn 1

Game 3 killed him after withstanding his powerful attacks turn 2-3 I was able to build foundations and get around his templars. This is a fairly easy match up for Kim due to Paul bitners vitality being so low.

3-1-0

Round 5 I was paired up against rich who was playing mai , I intentionally drew with him after we knew we both would be in top cuts

Top 8 I played against rich playing mai

Game 1 built foundations for a while then finally after building for 5-6 turns I have 2 kicks to loop for the kill , this was a close game he almost got game 1 by playing a reversal but I was able to hold on and stay alive with out of control giant and continue the loop for game 1

Game 2 I kill him turn 3 after building my foundation base

Top 4 I played against matt hughes who is playing jack lamborne

Game 1 I open nuts drawing holiday cheer , contacting & team Kim , after building for 2 turns I loop my kicks for game

Game 2 its back and fourth for a while then I had to cycle and removed 8 of my 11 attacks in my deck and after another hour of back and fourth turns I decided its now or never he was able to reduce my damage with breakfast , wall of gordo , and paid to protect . Along with nailed it he could ready breakfast a extra time because I had to keep using Kim's effects to at least have a chance of winning so he basically has 8 of them to use a turn I couldn't push out enough damage with 7 of my 8 main attacks removed I only have 3 dragon tails and a hangetsusazn so I couldn't kill him I was 2 damage away from killing him.

Game 3 I built 5 foundations turn 1 and drew 2 kicks in my next hand so I decided its now or never since he has nailed it out if I don't it will eventually be like game 2 so I go for the kill and check a 3 on my first kick then check a 2 on my next one and basically lost the game there.

Even tho I lost in top 4 I learned some thec's to add to my deck for teams and worlds I'd rather learn them there then when cardboard is on the line.

All in all the weekend was a blast , gokart racing was awesome and the event ran very smoothly and top 8 was over Saturday night with time to spare. See everyone at gencon can't wait!!!

dutpotd
07-29-2014, 11:11 AM
Nice quick and dirty report, congrats on top 4.

Next time you won't ID in the final round, assuming you man up and win it - then you would have faced V grey in top 4 and then you would have (arguably) had a better chance at top 2-ing.

Starfleetjedi
07-29-2014, 11:27 AM
Congrats again, glad I got to play against you, was very fun to play against something I hadn't seen played before. See ya at Gencon for round 2 hopefully.

FiveCard
07-29-2014, 01:03 PM
Nice quick and dirty report, congrats on top 4.

Next time you won't ID in the final round, assuming you man up and win it - then you would have faced V grey in top 4 and then you would have (arguably) had a better chance at top 2-ing.

For now on no more IDing for me then lol

FiveCard
07-29-2014, 01:19 PM
I think I had a equal chance to beat any of the other 3 decks ... anyone in top 4 could of won the event imo.

dutpotd
07-29-2014, 01:28 PM
I think I had a equal chance to beat any of the other 3 decks ... anyone in top 4 could of won the event imo.

Sure, but its a game of edges, and if you don't have the courage to go after every last one (including finishing as high up pre-top cuts as possible) you deserve to lose. You played well enough to win, the thing about UFS is that there are factors outside of the actual gameplay that often impact the results, the sooner you respect that fact the sooner you will win when you deserve to. Trust me, I'm speaking from experience.