PDA

View Full Version : UFS Returns to Game Kastle

Volfogg
08-07-2014, 06:20 AM
After thinking about doing this for a while, I'm bringing UFS events back to Game Kastle in Santa Clara. I'm starting with a Casual Play day this Sunday, August 10th at 3 PM. If everything goes well, I'll be setting up another Casual Day for next Sunday, August 17th for those who couldn't go to GenCon. After the second Casual Day, I plan on having weekly tournaments, or ideally, the Red Horizon Campaign, provided I can get Game Kastle to order whatever is needed for it.

So, come on down to Game Kastle on Sunday and get some fun games in. Bring whatever you feel like playing. Even if it's Legacy. Hell, bring your decks for some GenCon prep to work out the kinks.

You can even bring a friend that's curious about the game, I have a pair of simple decks I built for the purpose of teaching games (to be replaced when the new Demo Decks are ready).

Basically, I just want to give everyone that can't regularly make it to Epic or any of our other Bay Area stores a place to play regularly that may be closer to home, while still giving them the chance to go to Epic on Saturdays (that's why I'm doing this on Sundays :v).

If you have any questions, comments or advice, feel free to shoot me an email at MightyBP@gmail.com

Hope to see you there.

(This Thread will Self-Destruct on August 21st :v)

matthewlow
08-11-2014, 03:06 AM
Would have considered had I known. Maybe if this happens again in the future. Can't imagine a good turnout during GenCon.

boredtodeath0321
08-12-2014, 01:35 PM
I plan on attending after gen con/my vacation

Volfogg
08-13-2014, 04:44 AM
Don't worry, even if the Red Horizon Campaign doesn't pan out (even though I'd like to have it happen), I'll at least keep making Casual Play events so there's at least some representation there. And if the turnout grows enough, Tournaments.

Speaking of, Sunday felt like a wash since nobody showed up, but I'll be hosting another Casual Day this coming Sunday for those who couldn't/can't make it to GenCon. Show up if you can.

I'll likely be set up in the "Garage" due to the Pokemon League taking up the entire front Game Room and I also underestimated the turnout for Weiss Schwarz (takes up most of the front room after Pokemon). But yeah, I'll be submitting the event to Game Kastle tomorrow. Once I know if the Red Horizon Campaign will happen or not/things actually start rolling, then I'll start listing the events here as well.

RockStar
08-13-2014, 02:57 PM
Hey, man. I'd definitely be interested in showing up after I get back from Holiday. Me and the wifey are going to be out of country these next 2 weeks, so look for me sometime early September.

Glad that someone is still repping UFS at GK! It's where I first learned how to play the game waaaaay back in the day! :)

victimsofadown
08-21-2014, 03:33 PM
If tournaments become real will they include legacy cards? I'm just getting back into the game and the only way I could was to buy in with some reallllly old boxes at a cheap price. I live a little more than an hour away, and I typically work on Sundays until 3pm (which is 2 hours away), but I might be able to request a day off if you are able to. I guess what I'm saying is... keep this thread updated :)

Volfogg
08-28-2014, 04:37 AM
Well, on the product front, Darkstalkers and (more) Megaman Tins should be on their way. I don't know about booster packs though. I'm going to try and get in touch with Game Kastle's Jason ASAP to get a thing or two sorted out so I can determine what I post for future events. And once the ball's finally rolling, I'll send the request for some Prize Support. Hopefully I can also get them to order a bit more XIII and RoT Packs if possible for anyone still needing it and prospective new players. Even if it's just a bit of each.

For tournaments, I'm more than likely going to keep it to Standard since I feel that opening the Legacy floodgates could overwhelm/turn away any possible new players due to how Legacy decks can be. I'd say Extended/Pre-Rotation Standard would be the furthest I would go back.

Once I get things worked out, I'll post any new info. But for now, I'm still going to be there every Sunday afternoon. The past couple weeks, I've ended up staying until at least 9 PM despite the event being "scheduled" for 3/3:30 to 7/7:30. Mostly to hopefully get more people to check the game out and show them how it works with a teaching/demo game.

victimsofadown
08-28-2014, 01:37 PM
I don't have any standard cards and my work schedule simply won't allow me to attend (in general) before 5pm. If you end up getting people into the game and get prize support off the ground please update the thread. This may give me the push I need to purchase standard cards and I can attend once a month or so.

Volfogg
10-10-2014, 07:51 PM
Alright, it's been some time coming, but weekly tournaments are finally starting. The first event will be NEXT SUNDAY: October 19th at 4 PM. Please try to show up early so we can start the games at 4. No entry fee, and there will be KoF Promo Packs for prizes. For now, it will just be weekly Standard events, but once everything is sorted out for Extended, I'll likely be doing a monthly Extended Tournament in the rotation as well, and hopefully any future Release Events when applicable.

Don't worry though, I am working on getting the new Monthly Support Kits as well. I just need to send out the emails to find out exactly what needs to be done.

victimsofadown
10-10-2014, 10:33 PM
That's awesome! Thank you very much! I highly highly doubt I'll be able to attend any time in the near future given that I work every Sunday, get off at ~3:30, and work 90 minutes away, but I'll be happy to make the trek if I mysteriously have a Sunday off :) More tournaments is awesome news

RockStar
10-15-2014, 07:45 PM
Rock on, Peter! Thanks for keeping the UFS Fix alive at GK! I'll try and make it as often as I can, especially starting January, since I'll be teaching a full-schedule on Saturdays and will no longer be able to make events at Epic in Scotts Valley. :(

But, YAY for UFS @ GK on Sundays! :)

Magnusotls
10-16-2014, 07:13 PM
Dillon and I will be there we are having UFS withdrawals

RockStar
10-17-2014, 12:27 AM
Dillon and I will be there we are having UFS withdrawals

*Like*

Volfogg
10-17-2014, 05:48 AM
This is great to hear (aside from you not being able to make it to Epic anymore come 2015). I've already done as much as I can on my own towards getting the Monthly OP promos, so now it's in the hands of the Santa Clara GK staff to get the info to Jasco. So, basically, you can rest easy knowing that I'm trying my best to make sure everything happens RIGHT.

There are some things I'd like to say/ask first though.

First is that since the first Tournament will be THIS SUNDAY, is there anything you guys think I should have prepared ahead of time that would be of great use during the events from here on out?

Secondly, this week will be a lot easier at GK for us due to no Pokemon League in the morning and no Weiss Schwarz due to Regionals for it. But from next week onwards, unless they stop playing on Sundays at GK, we will be running alongside the weekly Weiss Schwarz league. So be prepared to share the space and everything.

Lastly, there are currently 4 Darkstalkers tins left in stock at GK Santa Clara. It's either 3 Lillith and 1 Morrigan, or the other way around. Any thoughts on requests for restocks? I'm thinking some of the Megaman Tins for any prospective new players and maybe another small stock of the Darkstalkers Tins as well. And also some KoF XIII and RoT if possible so there's also some booster packs to buy. Does this sound good, or does it sound like too much due to mostly being an existing playerbase?

Like I said, I am trying to have everything work right, so I'm trying to give it my all. I'll see you all Sunday.

(I'm actually going to fix up my old Twitter account and unused Facebook account after I get a working computer again so I have an additional point of contact for everyone. May make it easier to keep in touch with everyone and spread info and such.)

Magnusotls
10-17-2014, 04:18 PM
what is the price on those tins?

My own store sells them for 30 each but I think thats too high.

Volfogg
10-18-2014, 02:08 AM
It is $30, as much as I wish they'd actually go with (what seems to be) the normal $25 price. I believe it was said that they price the UFS Tins at a premium is that "there aren't enough people buying UFS" or something. It's also been a while since I was told that, so I can't really remember the specifics or if I'm just remembering differently.

But in any case, all that's left now is 4 DS Tins and a Vincent Grey Starter....which I think was normal MSRP. So maybe the fact that the tins don't have a listed MSRP/RRP on them led to the $30 pricing.

RockStar
10-18-2014, 07:20 PM
Sadly, I will be unable to attend tomorrow's inaugural re-boot of officially sanctioned UFS events at GK due to this weekend being my lovely wife's birthday, and I'm taking her somewhere special tomorrow.

Needless to say, I have next Sunday on my calendar at 4pm marked for UFS at GK! Looking forward to it, meng! :)

Magnusotls
10-19-2014, 01:06 PM
we can't go today so maybe next week

RockStar
11-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Hey! Just wondering if there is a scheduled event tomorrow at 4? Planning on being there, if so! :)

Volfogg
11-08-2014, 10:04 PM
Yeah. Even if enough people don't show up specifically for a tournament, I'll still be there through the afternoon. This has been the case the past few weeks. I've usually only left once GK really died down for the night.

Also, just waiting on the new promos to hopefully show up. Things should be set up for them, so it's mostly just waiting and hoping they come in. Hopefully others have just been waiting for the new Promos to show up before coming. Unless it's also that Sunday just isn't the best day for 'em either. I just hope people will start coming more regularly when the new Promos arrive.

The last couple weeks had pretty much no turnout and I've just been trying to show the game to people that are curious/seem interested. I'm willing to move things around if it means more people are able to show up because I'm doing this so everyone has more chances to play with others after all.

victimsofadown
11-09-2014, 03:59 AM
It's a time issue for me. I don't know the store hours, but the earliest I could attend on a Sun (assuming normal work schedule) would be nearly 5PM. Due to distance it's unlikely I would come more than twice a month due to the drive time. This will change after December (no school).

Volfogg
11-09-2014, 05:29 AM
GK closes at 10 PM every night. Even Sundays. That is, unless there's a special reason for them to close earlier. But in general, they're open until 10.

RockStar
11-09-2014, 09:53 AM
I will plan on being there at 4, Peter. I'm testing several deck ideas for the Riverside PTC, as well as foe US Nationals.

Also, I know that dart132 works until 6:30, but is coming by after work to also get in some games. So @victimsofadown, please do feel free to swing by GK at 5, or whenever you may get there. The more the merrier!

victimsofadown
11-09-2014, 12:36 PM
I can't come today (still in Monterey), I was responding to the general question of "is there a better time?"

Volfogg
11-10-2014, 01:58 AM
Well, good news! The new Promos (Focus Charge & Equinox and Celestial Being & KERSPLAT!!) are in! So starting next Sunday, the new Promos will be given out as instructed. Everyone will also get a KoF Promo Pack just for showing up and participating! Spread the word since I hope more people will be able to come and play regularly.

I'm going to try and get more of the Demo Decks sent either to me, or to the store itself for new players and anyone that may need 'em. I'm also willing to start the events later if people want. The thing is, I don't know if people would be comfortable with a tournament that goes from 6 to 9 or 10 depending on turnout. I'm personally fine with starting whenever, but not before 3 because of GK's Pokemon League taking up the entire front game room, so that means starting between 4 and 6 PM. Trying to keep this to Sunday as well since I don't want to overlap with Epic.

I'd like as much input on this as I can get on this. After all, this for the whole NorCal community, so I'd love to see as many players show up as possible each week. Hope to hear your input guys, and I hope to see as many of you as possible next Sunday.

P.S. Our KERSPLAT!!s are 100% Typo-Free!

RockStar
11-10-2014, 10:31 AM
I would prefer a 5 - 8 pm time-slot, if only because my wife and I typically go shopping in the evening and meal-prep for the upcoming week. But, if we get enough people and are able to host official tourneys, that will make me happy enough!

victimsofadown
11-10-2014, 09:18 PM
I went ahead and double checked. The store is approximately 80 minutes from my work, so 5 is doable for me. Won't be able to do every week until school is out though, but perhaps I can drop in here and there. Also I can probably get my friend to come with.

Volfogg
03-03-2015, 02:52 AM
Well, I know I've kinda been silent, but I'm still at GK on Sundays. It's not like I've forgotten or anything.

But, more importantly, the Rise of the Masters Pre-Release Kit has been ordered.

I'll be reporting back with a date for the event once the kit comes in at GK. But keep your calendars clear on Sundays at 5 PM to be ready for the Pre-Release event.

victimsofadown
03-04-2015, 10:31 AM
I'll need to know as far in advance as possible to clear my work schedule. Have the new guys been showing up? I'm teaching my friend in an effort to be able to actually play a 4-man mini-tournament sometime!

Volfogg
03-30-2015, 09:07 PM
Alright guys. It turns out that Jasco's planned weekend for the Pre-Release events ends up being a perfect storm of annoyances for me. Don't worry though, there WILL be an event. With that said, mark these two days on your Calendar: 5 PM on April 19th and May 3rd.

Why these two days? Well, I always planned to have the Pre-Release at 5 on Sunday to keep the normal schedule, but there are other issues that are beyond my control.

That same weekend, Game Kastle will be hosting a Nationals Event for Flames of War on Friday and Saturday (17th and 18th). It is unknown if they'll also be using Sunday. So even if I submit the Pre-Release as an event for that day, It may be declined due to the Flames of War event. There IS still a chance it can happen on the 19th, but I can't guarantee anything. I'm hoping that I can run it on the 19th though, for a very good reason.

The next weekend is also the reason I can't just run it as a Release Event if the 19th doesn't work. That weekend, Friday through Sunday, they will be hosting Unpub Protospiel San Jose. It's a big event where people can try various unreleased and prototype tabletop games. Now, due to this, absolutely nothing else can be run that weekend.

That leaves May 3rd as the first possible Sunday I can run the (now Post) Release Event if I can't run it on the 19th. It will be the same day as the Pre-Release for the new Pokemon set, so I don't know if we'll be in the main room or in "The Dungeon". But everything aside, it will happen. I will make sure of that.

I'll also let you guys know which day it'll happen on as soon as I know.

victimsofadown
04-01-2015, 10:56 PM
I intend to move to Sacramento within a few weeks, so the 19th would be perfect and future dates would be questionable. New work schedule + the drive would become 2 1/2 hours, which just doesn't seem reasonable. I will of course try my best, but I just wanted to put that out there

Volfogg
04-02-2015, 02:13 PM
Okay, good news everyone, the event I submitted for the 19th has been accepted. So, the Rise of the Masters Pre-Release at Game Kastle WILL be on Sunday April 19th at 5 PM. Look forward to it.

victimsofadown
04-02-2015, 03:38 PM
Yay! I'll see you there! How much is entry?

RockStar
04-02-2015, 11:38 PM
I will try to be there.

Volfogg
04-04-2015, 01:17 AM
Entry would be the cost of either 5 or 6 packs, can't remember exactly how many packs each player gets in a Draft at the moment. So just have $30 set aside to make sure you're covered.

RockStar
04-04-2015, 01:56 AM
Draft is 6 packs, not 5.

RockStar
04-15-2015, 11:15 PM
Wanting to confirm the time and cost for Sunday's pre-release. Please reply, Peter! I convinced a new player to show up and spend $, so....yeah... ;)

Volfogg
04-16-2015, 08:08 AM
This Sunday, starting shortly after 5 PM (so I can make sure the draft pools are properly sized). Entry is just the purchase of the 6 Packs to draft with. So, a little more than $26 after tax.

victimsofadown
04-16-2015, 06:28 PM
Will we be following standard chaining or the "as long as it matches your character chaining?

Will the rares be pooled or will we pull them from each pack like any other card?

Will characters be chosen before we draft or after? If you drew a character can you still pick a character? What if 2 people want the same character?

(I've seen different events with different rules, just wondering what ours will be)

Volfogg
04-17-2015, 06:14 PM
I hate having to say this, but due to things I have absolutely no control over, the Pre-Release at GK is cancelled.

It will be rescheduled as a post-release event for May 3rd at 5 PM. Please understand.

I'll let you guys know if anything else happens between now and then.

victimsofadown
04-17-2015, 08:03 PM
Extremely unfortunate. I will likely not be able to attend (and thus not be able to take my two friends). Was really looking forward to this, but I understand things happen. I'll let you know if something changes, but I expect us to be unavailable :(

RockStar
04-17-2015, 08:33 PM
I hate having to say this, but due to things I have absolutely no control over, the Pre-Release at GK is cancelled.

It will be rescheduled as a post-release event for May 3rd at 5 PM. Please understand.

I'll let you guys know if anything else happens between now and then.

Total bummer. Will have to get back to you on my availability.

victimsofadown
04-18-2015, 03:15 AM
Is there any way we can host it off site? Get the materials and pay our fee and just physically play somewhere else? (A park, a library, etc). I really don't want to miss it and my friends are disappointed too.

Not sure if that's an option, but maybe? We still give all the. Money to GKat the start, then just another space?

RockStar
04-18-2015, 09:34 AM
I think you're assuming that the problem is with GK. It might actually be a personal crisis for Peter, and that's why the reschedule is necessary. I don't know that for sure, mind you. I'm just saying that we don't know why the reschedule is necessary.

victimsofadown
04-18-2015, 05:22 PM
You're right, I assumed it was a GK thing due to that other nationals event. Unfortunate either way. I'll try to make the next event, but I will likely be 2 1/2 hours away so :/

Volfogg
04-18-2015, 08:33 PM
Well, full disclosure time. To start, it is not due to a personal crisis, so there's no need to worry about me personally. But in any case, here's the deal. As much as I can actually explain. Keep in mind that I don't know everything, especially since I don't actually work at Game Kastle.

The reason for the cancellation/rescheduling is simple, but is also something I didn't expect due to what I was told previously: The Kit never arrived.

About a week and a half ago, I was getting very concerned about the status of the Pre-Release Kit's arrival. So, I started checking in fairly regularly to see if it showed up. Every time I checked, I was told nothing has come in from either Jasco or the Distributor. Fast forward to two days ago: Thursday, April 16th. I go in and ask again and talk with GK's Jason, the person who deals with Event Scheduling and such. We talk, and I explain everything. We then look in the system and the kit is in there, but apparently still at the distributor...so he sends an email to the owner asking about the specific item and he tells me that he'll let me know when he hears something back. I'm also told that they do not receive shipments on Saturdays from their distributor, so Friday is the last chance for it to show up.

So, I go back the next day around 2:30, after the shipment would normally show up. I'm then told that while they got a shipment from their distributor, the kit was not in it. Needless to say, I'm a bit frustrated, aggravated, and outright disappointed. Jason and I continue to talk and try to look into the problem, and apparently, the Kit that was in the system the day before is now completely gone. Like it was never there in the first place.

You see, Game Kastle pretty much does all of their ordering through one primary distributor: Golden Distribution. Game Kastle and Golden Distribution are actually closely tied to each other. I was told that the kit WAS ordered and can confirm that it did arrive to the distributor thanks to Aj confirming via a phone call on Thursday that it was signed for back at the start of April. From there, I assumed that the kit SHOUD have been sent over to the store, but the sudden disappearance of the kit led Jason and I to believe that it may have outright been sold from under us. In addition to the fact that the owner never replied to any of the messages sent from Jason on Thursday.

Essentially, GK's owner told me the kit was ordered, but apparently only at the Distributor level. I do not know what exactly was the case here. Did he actually mean for me to order the item in the store itself and pay the money out of my own pocket to run the event? I do not know, and I doubt I will know exactly, but as it stands, there is no kit for an event tomorrow.

The event will be/is rescheduled for May 3rd in the chance that things were just mishandled and the kit shows up when the rest of the MM02 Product arrives (which would be both expected and unexpected, to me at least). But to be perfectly honest, there is also the chance of the kit being just plain gone with nothing I can do. In that case, I would not be able to run an event for it, period.

There are ony two things I can think of to get around this issue in the future:

1) Hound the store's owner to make 100% absolutely sure that any future Pre-Release Kits that get ordered are actually sent to the store itself after arriving at the distributor, and that I am not the one that's supposed to pay for it, but the store itself. Since it is product to run a Sealed event and additional early product for the store itself to sell. This could potentially backfire by making the owner unwilling to stock UFS anymore after constant hounding about a specific item(s) and minimal weekly turnout.

2) Order the kit directly from Jasco myself, paying the full cost of the kit out of my own pocket. The only problem with this one is that all the money will be coming right out of my pocket and will only return after entry fee collection. While it would just go right into the pool for the next set's Pre-Release Kit, dropping upwards of $400+ at once is...well, yeah.

To make a long story short: I was told the kit was ordered by GK's owner. It was, but it never got to Game Kastle, only the distributor. I do know know if anything was expected of myself (order/pay for kit in store) or the GK Employees (even Jason is unsure), or if the ball was dropped somewhere else. I (more than likely) can not have them order directly from Jasco due to the relationship between GK and Golden, their distributor. Going forward, I either constantly make sure GK's owner orders the kit FOR THE STORE, or I order the kit with my own money and collect the entry fees myself. That doesn't mean I've given up though.

I'll still be over at Game Kastle tomorrow evening, but there won't be anything for a Pre-Release event. Just the same old stock in the store of a Mega Man tin, a Protoman Tin, either a Morrigan or Lilith Tin, and one box of RH01. As well as the usual stuff I have on me for demos and such. The entire time, I was running on the assumption that since the kit was ordered, it would show up on time. But apparently, that was not enough. I'm now just hoping it just wasn't going to be sent out until the rest of the MM02 stuff would (for some reason). Believe me, I am trying to get things to work, but when you don't know what the hell caused something to happen/not happen, it's really tough. My apologies to everyone who was hoping to get some of the new set tomorrow. I honestly wish it was as "simple" as a family emergency or something I'm forcibly dragged to regardless of prior plans (it could happen).

victimsofadown
04-18-2015, 10:11 PM
That's awful. I don't know about Iari, but I would've been willing to split the cost and then split the product for the kit. I know you had handled the situation so I'm definitely blaming poor communication on the owner. That kit had special promos that we will not be able to get now, and that cool playmat. Now those are gone forever, and I'm genuinely mad about it. Also, to be honest, the sealed event had me really excited.

Volfogg
04-19-2015, 07:09 PM
Alright, I just found out that no one actually dropped the ball. The problem is that it's just stuck in the mail. So the kit should be showing up at some point, so there will be an event. That said, it's looking like May 3rd doesn't seem to work for everyone 100%. So, instead of just rescheduling it for May 3rd, I'd rather just delay it a bit more if it means everyone has a better chance of making it. So, essentially, if the 3rd doesn't work, let me know if either May 10th or 17th works better.

After all, I'd prefer to wait and have more people participate than just run it and have a good chunk of players miss out. I'll still be checking in with GK regularly to see when it shows up, but once it does, everything should be fine. I honestly feel quite relieved now.

victimsofadown
04-20-2015, 02:19 AM
Agreed. My issue is one of moving. If you give me a time I can try, but make guarantees. Again, it's a 2+ hour drive... if I can go I will, but it's gonna be tough and I might be working nights... :/

Volfogg
04-23-2015, 11:59 AM
Well, it would still be at 5 PM on a Sunday, either May 3rd, 10th, or 17th. Whichever day works best for most players. I don't want to just schedule it for a day where a good chunk of players end up being unable to make it after all.

victimsofadown
04-24-2015, 01:52 AM
I'm starting nights next week and my commute has taken all of my time. I will update this thread as soon as I determine a move date, then I will know the weekend I'm unavailable. I'm no longer working on weekends, so it's just an issue of when I move (trying to move ASAP).

RockStar
04-24-2015, 11:14 AM
The 3rd or 17th works best for me.

Bassile Ksane
04-24-2015, 01:34 PM
I will try to make it whenever it is

matthewlow
04-24-2015, 07:32 PM
5 PM is kind of late if we're building too, but it works for me.

Is it going to be starter and 3 boosters?

I'd like to come as well. May 10 is Mother's Day, but as of now May 3 and 17 both work.

victimsofadown
04-25-2015, 09:30 PM
As it turns out May 3 is likely the best day for me. Let's do this :):):):).

victimsofadown
04-29-2015, 01:14 AM
Hey guys! I spoke with Peter today and it appears that May 3 will be the date!

Also worth noting- resource chaining will not be enforced (so long as 1 matches character) and the R/UR will be pooled at the end and redistributed as prizes kinda (1st, 2nd, 3rd... Last, last, 2nd to last, etc) so that's cool. More incentive to do well! He also asked us to show up a bit early for set up.

I'm sure he'll confirm, but that's the info he gave me :)

Volfogg
04-30-2015, 06:42 AM
It's true. Everything's all set up. GK's Rise of the Masters "Game Day" will be this Sunday, May 3rd. I'd like to start he draft pools shortly after 5 PM, so please try to show up early. You can pay for your packs when you get there and everything, just let whoever's at the register know you're there for the UFS Draft and keep your receipt since I'll be handing out the packs when the draft begins.

Before the first pack is opened, each player in a pool will be given two Character Cards at random. You can use either of them, or another Character you decide to draft from the packs. Resource chaining will not be in effect, you just need the card to share a symbol with your Character. And remember that there is no maximum card limit, so draft as many copies of one card as you want.

Deck building is the standard Draft style. 40 Card Deck Minimum, counting your Character. The remaining drafted cards are your Sideboard. Make sure you grabbed enough Attacks, and don't forget to at least grab a couple low difficulty Foundations.

After the actual Tournament, all the Rares and Ultra Rares will be pooled together and drafted in a Snake Draft according to your placement. First Place -> Last Place, Last Place -> First Place, repeat. So, don't just Rare Draft. You don't instantly get to keep the R/URs you pick.

I'll see you guys on Sunday.

victimsofadown
04-30-2015, 11:58 AM
Dumb question- we don't have to make up our mind about the character (including the two face down) until after we finish the draft, correct?

Volfogg
04-30-2015, 07:51 PM
Of course not. The two characters you're given are just that. Two different characters, both of which are options. You could also draft a different character during the draft and use it instead of one of the two given at the start of the draft itself. Provided you have enough cards with matching symbols or how early in the draft you are (first two packs and such).

RockStar
04-30-2015, 10:49 PM
I'm hyped. Probably bringing 2 new players to this event. ;)

victimsofadown
05-01-2015, 03:24 AM
I'm bringing one, the other is a pro at not return in my texts so I'm gonna assume he's a no

matthewlow
05-02-2015, 06:27 PM
So what do we get for entering? Two characters and six packs? Any promos?

victimsofadown
05-02-2015, 06:36 PM
The characters are only for the event. I know you get Sniper Joe for the prerelease, I don't know if there are others.

Also keep in mind that the R/UR are being distributed at the end like support

RockStar
05-04-2015, 11:48 AM
Just wanted to post a BIG TIME THANK YOU! to Peter for running a great event! I know how hard you've been hustling to attract new players at GK. And, last night I saw some of the fruits of your effort pay off: 10 players showed up, bought product, and had a killer time playing OOFS!

I was certainly one of those happy players, and I'm looking forward to playing in the next event in 2 weeks! It will be awesome if GK - the store where I first learned how to play UFS waaaay back in the day - became another mecca for UFS players and events!

Cheers,
RockStar

Volfogg
05-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Well, now that there's a street date for Warriors of the Night, I figured I'd throw this out there now, well before the Pre-Release for that set.

When I was getting the last things set up for the Pre-Release/Game Day for RotM, Jason at GK suggested making the entry a little more than the cost of packs, but using that extra as an additional prize in the form of Gift Cards to be given to 1st and 2nd. So, using the same 10 Player turnout, using a $30 entry, that would make it a difference of $3.92 per player. Now let's take $3.50 from each entry, and we have $35 for Prize Credit. Splitting it to $20 + Playmat for 1st, $10 + Playmat for 2nd, and $5 and Playmat for the Raffle. Or, $20 and $15 1st/2nd.

Now, I'd just limit this to the Pre-Release Events, but actually doing this depends on what you guys think of this. Basically, I'm already going to be trying to get things set up for the WotN Pre-Release now, since we have a date for the release now. Just let me know if you think this is a fine idea, or if you'd prefer to leave it at just the price of the packs.

victimsofadown
05-06-2015, 01:14 AM
I think that's a great idea. OR change the store credit to a box or X # of boosters, etc. whatever works better.

My only complaints about the prerelease are that I wish we could do 4 rounds (I know time won't allow for that) and we definitely need to START at 5pm next time so it doesn't run so late.

Here's a question- would it be possible to run the next prerelease at 3pm to add an extra round?

Volfogg
05-06-2015, 05:29 AM
With the advance notice we have now, an earlier start time for the WotN Pre-Release shouldn't be an issue since:

1) Said advance notice means people can schedule around it/reschedule certain things, and ask for a day off/early day if possible/needed.

2) I can actually schedule the event at GK WELL in advance, as opposed to...around two weeks or so in advance (Pre-Release) and not even a whole week in advance (Game Day). The second time only being due to not wanting to actually schedule the event until the kit actually showed up at Game Kastle.

3) The WotN Pre-Release wouldn't be the same day as a Pokémon Pre-Release (despite being run after it finished up, Pokémon's a higher priority for GK event-wise). Anything else that might be run that day is a complete mystery though. The further advance notice would probably help deal with this.

The main issues with the RotM events were the fact that there wasn't much time between the Pre-Release/Release Dates being finalized and those dates, and how the kit just didn't get to GK on time due to an issue at the distributor. For the most part, I'm pretty sure the latter won't happen anymore after having talked with one of the guys at Golden who actually saw to it that the kit arrived not long after Jason (GK) and I talked with him (he looked into what the issue was, and took care of it. The kit arrived a day or two later, to much relief.)

The former though, that all relies on Jasco, of course. But if these two sets are anything to go by, my guess is that Blood Omen will have a "short notice" announcement of dates, while MM03 and DS03 should have the same, if not better, advance notice as Warriors of the Night if what was said in the past holds true (MM03/DS03 are sent to the printer at the same time as RH03). In that case, only time will tell.

One other thing I could do once the event is actually submitted and accepted is have them set up another Quick Link item listing like I did for the RotM Entry. But instead of doing so shortly before the event, I could see if it could also be used for Pre-Registration purposes. This could potentially offset the initial cost of the store ordering the kit ($30 directly to the store for each Pre-Reg) and provide the extra Gift Card prizes for the Playmat Winners ($3 to $3.50 from each player's entry split among the two or three Credit Prizes on the day of the Draft). Provided it can be done this far in advance and the Pre-Registration is also something that can be done (this far in advance, if it can be done at all).

I'll be getting in touch with everyone I need to and get everything rolling as soon as I possibly can to make sure this event goes much smoother than the kinda slapdash RotM ones. Not to say that it didn't go well, I just would have loved for things to have worked out from the beginning (the kit arriving on time and running the event on the 19th as originally planned).

RockStar
05-06-2015, 04:26 PM
Love the proposed ideas. Looking forward to Standard events starting on the 17th, and then the DS Pre in July!

PS - We all should be pimping out the PTC event at Epic Adventure Games to any and all UFS-interested players. The more is definitely the merrier!

victimsofadown
07-06-2015, 04:20 AM
Just incase anyone trying old the forums, but didn't go to the PTC- the Darkstalkers prerelease is this weekend (7/12) at 3:30.

Volfogg
07-06-2015, 07:32 PM
That is correct, the Release Draft will be this Sunday at 3:30. I want to start the drafting by 4 PM at the latest, so make sure you're there or you'll miss out on the draft. You'll still be able to pick up packs though.

Entry will be $30, which will pay for your 6 packs and the extra prizes. Prizes will go to the top finishers and another lucky player.

The game plan is the same as last time. Separate pools to draft and build, but once deck construction is done, it's standard Swiss against anyone participating. Each player in a pool will be given a random character card to use (or two, depending on turnout), or may use a character they draft from their packs. No resource chaining required, just Resource Matching. So as long as the card shares a resource symbol with your character, you're good.

And at the end of the event, all the Rares/Ultra Rares will be pooled together and drafted in a standard draft, with picks based on your final placement. So, like last time, don't Rare Draft for the purposes of walking out with that Rare/UR.

There should also be the standard stock of WotN as well, so you should be able to pick up whichever Starters you want and any packs/boxes too. There's still a good amount of Rise of the Masters left as well. So if you still need some, feel free to pick some up.

victimsofadown
07-08-2015, 07:44 PM
I really liked the versatility of the two-character option last time, and to be honest I feel like 4/8 of the DS characters are duds while a few others are OP. If we can, I'd definitely prefer the 2 character option.

Volfogg
07-14-2015, 08:47 PM
Oh yeah, I completely forgot to say this at the Draft, but I will NOT be at GK this Sunday because I'll be at California Extreme. Sorry.

victimsofadown
08-03-2015, 06:56 AM
Any updates on the Pyron issue? It's OK if we aren't going to get him, I just need to know so I can attempt to trade and/or buy

Volfogg
08-03-2015, 07:30 AM
I sent an email to Aj, but I haven't heard anything back. Maybe because how close to GenCon it was. I'll send another email in a few days after everyone's recovered from GenCon. Believe me, I'd like everyone to get their Pyron. I'll post once I find something out.

mac127
10-20-2015, 01:38 AM
Hello everyone! I'm Matt and I believe I met some of you 2 weeks ago. Me and my friend stopped by the store and bought some packs. Then I got my first ever play through with Yari(sorry if I spelled that wrong) and Peter. I was a bit overwhelmed by all the information and forgot to ask if it was a weekly meet up and if it is always at 330. Hopefully I can meet up and pick some of your brains for information again. Also thanks again for the training lesson, if you guys are on here.

RockStar
10-20-2015, 09:23 AM
Hello everyone! I'm Matt and I believe I met some of you 2 weeks ago. Me and my friend stopped by the store and bought some packs. Then I got my first ever play through with Yari(sorry if I spelled that wrong) and Peter. I was a bit overwhelmed by all the information and forgot to ask if it was a weekly meet up and if it is always at 330. Hopefully I can meet up and pick some of your brains for information again. Also thanks again for the training lesson, if you guys are on here.

Hi Matt,

Iari (that's a capitalized 'i') here. It was great meeting you as well, and I so hope that you and your friend will join us again this week at Game Kastle for more ufs fun! The actual event starts at 5:30 on Sundays, but most of us show up early to hang out, get in a few casual games and do some trading.

Feel free to PM me your cell number, and I'll give you mine as well. That way, you may join our 'text group', as we like to meet up intermittently throughout the week and test out new deck ideas and eat....lots of eating! :)

Looking forward to meeting up with you again, Matt.

Holler,
Iari

King_Gief
11-08-2015, 03:58 PM
I haven't played UFS in ages lol. I thought it was cancelled, but I just I was wrong. Are you guys still doing casual plays today? I would love to go there if you guys are doing anything with UFS.

Volfogg
11-08-2015, 08:11 PM
Even if I don't say anything is happening, I'm usually here at GK. It's basically that I have events scheduled every Sunday, unless I say otherwise (big event, schedule conflict, emergency, etc.). So, we're pretty much here every Sunday.

King_Gief
11-09-2015, 02:44 AM
Ok so what do you guys basically do for Sundays? Is it just casuals or tournaments?

RockStar
11-09-2015, 10:42 AM
Ok so what do you guys basically do for Sundays? Is it just casuals or tournaments?

Firstly, welcome back!

Secondly, the official weekly events, which are standard constructed singles format, are held each Sunday evening at 5:30 pm at Game Kastle in Santa Clara. There is no cost to enter, and everyone receives a participation prize for playing, with the winner and runner-up of the event receiving an extra promo of their choice.

Would love to see you out there this upcoming Sunday!

King_Gief
11-10-2015, 01:14 PM
Firstly, welcome back!

Secondly, the official weekly events, which are standard constructed singles format, are held each Sunday evening at 5:30 pm at Game Kastle in Santa Clara. There is no cost to enter, and everyone receives a participation prize for playing, with the winner and runner-up of the event receiving an extra promo of their choice.

Would love to see you out there this upcoming Sunday!

ok yeah I'll be there next week. Thanks

RockStar
11-10-2015, 01:57 PM
ok yeah I'll be there next week. Thanks

Excellent! I look forward to (re)meeting you. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions with regards to the current standard format, or deck construction, etc.

Here to help,
RockStar