PDA

View Full Version : [Keyword Idea] Charge

aslum
09-05-2010, 12:39 PM
I know some people don't like keywords that much, but myself I'm a fan. I'm excited to see more combo cards come out, and while sorting cards I came up w/ this idea:

Keyword: Charge
Charge is a Continuous effect. Each player may only enhance this attack once. After both players have passed on enhances, and immediately before the block step of this attack the opponent may play a reversal, or an attack that matches 2 or more resources with their starting character as a reversal. If they do so they may not play a reversal to the attack as (unless an effect allows extra reversals). If this reversal deals damage the Charge Attack is considered completely blocked and deals no damage.

Charge attacks would be bigger and faster then other attacks w/ similar difficulty/checks, but would be much easier to disrupt for most decks.

ReploidX
09-05-2010, 02:50 PM
That seems like it could be an interesting mechanic.

aslum
09-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Another possible way to allow the "interrupt" attack would be if it has higher speed then that Charge Attack's printed speed or something. Ideally a charge attack should be risky, and I'm not sure relying on reversals (most decks don't run them IMeX) is enough of a threat.

Shinguyi
09-10-2010, 08:09 PM
The speed idea of making it fail seems to spark some ideas. What if opponent has to discard an attack with speed higher or reveal one from their hand? Revealing well, it may make the Charge Attacks suck but discarding will benefit both: you discarded a card from opponent's hand and your opponent completely blocked the attack kind of like 50-50. Promotes more attacks in deck because then Charge Attacks will be harder to deal with unless you play more attacks in your deck.

Maybe with that, although they are bigger and better, their difficulty is lower but their control is lower as well, making them even more risky (depending on what the attack is based off). Maybe for what characters use as a Charge Special Attack it would be low difficulty (like Guile's Sonic Boom... all you have to do is hold back 2 seconds...) but Charge Special Moves will have higher difficulty but more rewarding effects.

aslum
09-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Actually, to twist your idea a bit, how about they can discard a card of equal or greater difficulty? Or to go back to the original idea, the "reversal" they play only has to be a reversal or higher difficulty then the charge attack.

Charge is a Continuous effect. After both players have passed on enhances, and immediately before the block step of this attack the opponent may play a reversal, or an attack with higher printed difficulty than the printed difficulty of this attack as a reversal. If they do so they may not play a reversal to the attack (unless an effect allows extra reversals). If that reversal deals damage this Charge Attack is considered completely blocked and deals no damage.

Shinguyi
09-10-2010, 08:41 PM
I like where the idea is heading but doesn't it seem a bit complicated? How about instead of a reversal just any attack? As long as its higher difficulty of course. And since a Charge attack won't be successful because it was interrupted how about changing it to discarding that attack from the card pool before the block step? That way although the Charge attack was played, it got canceled because the attack is no longer in play. So it would go something like this:

Charge is a static ability.
Before this attack's Block step, your opponent may play an attack with higher printed difficulty than the printed difficulty of this Charge attack. If they do, resolve that attack before the block step of this Charge attack. This attack has its own Enhance Step, Block Step and Damage Step. If that attack deals damage, discard this Charge attack from your card pool.

Sorry if it deviated too much from your main idea... just felt tempted to write it in a different way. ^^;
And its a bit cool so it gets me pumped up, hehehe.

dracomageat
09-29-2011, 01:14 PM
I still think speed is preferable to difficulty here but other than that I like this latest version and the whole thing seems like a great idea.

Vexion
09-29-2011, 03:30 PM
The whole idea of a "charge" attack depends entirely on what sort of "charge" you mean. Charging a special like Guile's Sonic Boom (hold back for 2 seconds), or charging like a bull rush, know what I mean?

Honestly I think the idea of the mechanic how people are describing it (time charged special) the effect would play out with printed speed vs printed speed, rather than difficulty. Sure, just because I play my ULTRA SMASHER while you're charging your attack, doesn't mean it'll hit you first. My attack has to be faster than yours in order to disrupt it.

aslum
09-29-2011, 08:28 PM
Aye it's meant to be "Hold for 2 seconds" charge, not charge forwards. And I like both Shinguyi's suggestion, and the idea of making it speed based. How about:

Charge is a static ability.
Skip this attack's enhance step. Before this attack's Block step, your opponent may play an attack with higher printed speed than the printed speed of this Charge attack. If they do, resolve that attack before the block step of this Charge attack. This attack has its own Enhance Step, Block Step and Damage Step. If that attack deals damage, discard this Charge attack from your card pool.

As long as we keep it "higher" you can't respond w/ the same attack, though they could theoretically try their own Charge attack on your turn.

Frivolous example:

My Lasers
Attack 5 Difficulty 3 Control.
Keywords: Charge, Ranged
High, 6 speed, 8 damage
Static Ability: When your opponent plays a charge attack, you may (using a permanent marker) cross out the speed of this attack and write in a number 1 higher than the speed of their charge attack and play this card as normal. If you do, this attack is considered to have a printed speed equal to the number you wrote for the rest of the turn, otherwise it is considered to have a printed speed of 6.

dracomageat
09-30-2011, 10:21 AM
That static should be an R, though it hardly matters as the card is clearly not meant to be printable.
The point of it is clear though and I think this is the direction to go in with the charge keyword. I wouldn't suggest breaking it with cards like the lasers though...

Magnusotls
10-26-2011, 10:43 PM
This is like what Throw should have been. Oh, how about Sabertooth makes it so the only way to avoid them is to block, with some other bells and whistles against throws on the side here and there. Because in games you block when your opponent goes to throw you right?