PDA

View Full Version : Dut’s Double undefeated swiss champ report – US Nats 2015

dutpotd
02-10-2015, 12:55 PM
pt 1 of x.

First of all, the important part is I had just as much fun as always seeing everyone. Markus calls it his UFS family, I have no problem just calling many of you my family.

Speaking of Markus, he couldn’t come this year and so it was the first year in a while that I didn’t get to team with him. That was rough, but easily smoothed out by the fact his suggested and welcome replacement Nick Ragan is also an amazing person, player, and friend.

I have all game details in mind so if you need to hear any more about a particular matchup ask, otherwise I will only detail my notable games (imo).

Team - Sorry Markus (Marvus?), myself (Garett B) playing All Birch, Nick R playing Life Fireman, last, and definitely not least, Helio R playing Earth Huitzil.

I had not lost in 21+ competitive matches when playing as Birch and wanted to bring my very best to teams for obvious reasons. All Birch in particular is very much my style of play, the All symbol has ways to interact with most significant mechanics in the card pool and it has access to a lot of my favorite cards. As you will see I extended that record to 28 before finally losing to Piercing Howl, I mean Huitzil, in team finals, in a way not much different from my last loss to a Void deck in a finals… my draws were not friendly.

Round 1 vs. Hey-zeus (relatively new player) playing Morrigan off Life

Was a very interesting experience, he didn’t seem to be taking advantage of his review step and got significantly outbuilt in both games. He did throw some lethal attacks at me, we are talking 10+ speed and damage finishing showers, but my blocking prowess was not tested in this matchup per se.

It’s always fun playing against new players, obviously it’d be even better if I had the chance to do so on a regular basis and before major tournaments where I am stuck playing something unfriendly to newer playstyles.

2-0 win, team record 1-0.

Round 2 vs. Clint aka Church playing Duo off All

I had the pleasure of playing Church in Indy when he was playing All Duo at worlds. I beat him then with Jack Lambourne, and I expected the same deck. This one was improved by Stinging Upper, namely another great block with solid attack stats. Game one took a long while, there were a couple turns where I got roughly nothing done other than stall his build or force him to block with attacks. After a cycle I drew into a relatively strong hand of attacks and was able to finish him.

We only had about 20 mins for game 2 and Clint being behind one means he wanted to come at me fast and quick. The interesting thing about that is that I have reversals in my deck and was able to punish him for poking. As expected that led to him overcommitting to try to get the win, my backswing was fairly easy to accomplish as a result.

I don't lose to CUPCAKES.

2-0 win, team record 2-0

Round 3 vs. Ryan Field playing Bombman off Death

I’m not really sure why the opposing group paired me with Ryan Field, I think it is because he beat me recently at worlds (see matchup issue)? *People need to learn it is almost always (exception being players better than me: Keenan Meadows, Phil Birch, Andrew Olexa, Jeremy Ray, Dave Wagoner, Ben Shoemaker, etc. only) a matchup issue or luck sack moment when I lose, neither of which has the slightest thing to do with ‘did so and so beat so and so once before?’. For this reason Angels or Huitzil would both be great things to play into me, surely Bombman was not a good matchup against me, namely All Phil Birch is built to win in the long game once the discard pile offers me enough attacks – getting to the long game with chosen block recursion and disruption, and his was a deck that seemingly needed to arrive at a certain staging area later in the game before it could do anything AND it needed to trick the opponent into letting it do that anything… It was like feeding Ryan to the wolves.

In any case, I had been playing a very similar deck (Death Garett) practicing leading up to nats so I knew all of his weaknesses. I never could figure out his kill condition… Bomb man’s kill condition against All Phil Birch is actually turn 2 only after going first. So I poked a lot early, locked down what I thought he wanted ready, and picked up the correct blocks. Quite quickly I drew a Zing and had another in the discard pile, and that was game.

In game two he lasted a little longer but this time I beat him with multiples shortly after getting some Living with Determination and finding more than one shoryu dan.

2-0 win, team record 3-0

Round 4 vs. Mike Hardiman playing Birch off Evil

I believe we picked the first pairing again, followed by me getting thrown into the Birch-off, but it must have been a bad pick because my two teammates lost. I told Hardiman to stop handicapping himself by playing with bad Evil symbol decks and after some posturing killed him with relative ease game 1. Game 2 was barely started when the round loss occurred, second one of my team lost so even though I won game 1 it meant nothing. I should note that I really liked some of the more subtle picks Hardiman had for his Evil Birch, namely some of Morrigan’s stuff and top of deck manipulation a nifty way to arrive and Evil card advantage.

1-0 win, team loses before time record 3-1

Round 5 vs. Chris playing Vincent Grey off Order

Two chump decks in a row, Evil then Order. What does a guy have to do to get a challenging fight around here – at least that was what I was thinking. Game 1 everything went according to plan, game 2 I drew a hand that only contained high blocks and the only attack I could pick up with Birch was Zing, therefore he hit me three times on his turn 2, and he passed all his checks and got some nice damage with Grey. I never really recovered and he was able to finish it with a second long attack string turn 4 or 5. In game 3 I played a little more carefully and that pretty much means I win when playing against a deck with as few options as Grey. Sorry Chris, you thought you had a chance, and you did hand me my first loss of the weekend, but you were a deadman from the word go.

2-1 win, team record 4-1 and swiss champs

Quarter finals vs. Sean Canaday playing Kaden off Evil

This was a really interesting pairing* and I used it to conduct a small psychological experiment. In game 1 I overextended and failed a Zing check late string. He drew into more than enough to finish me, what with the free powerfuls and stuff.

Game 2 I decided it’d be better just to outbuild him, and force him to make a move first. I knew if I did this it would just be a matter of time until I hit critical mass. It happened and from there I won through whatever breaker and revoke he had saved up.

Game 3 I knew I’d just hit the repeat key, it was a bit more trying because even though I got lucky and outbuilt Sean (he drew into a lot of revoke turn 2) I couldn’t draw into attacks to push the advantage in any way shape or form. Ultimately, I had to stack my own deck bottom with fool me twice and draw into the needed 4th and 5th attack with Power Struggles. The rest is history.

2-1 win, on to semi finals

Semi finals vs. Mark aka Slam playing Jack Lambourne off Earth

Weirdest thing, I paired myself into Mark because I knew it’d be an auto-win (what with Koppo, Haoh, Power Struggles, Fool Me, etc.) and they proceeded to tell me they wanted the same pairing*. I knew if either of my other players won we’d be set. Helio pulled through in marvelous fashion beating Phil and the rest is history.

Well, our match was still pretty good… Game 1 I had Templar for days for some reason so it was relatively painless. Game 2 he got some big damage in and I never found enough of my counter-tech, resulting in a loss for me. Game 3 I kept drawing into Power Struggles and Koppos, stifling any option he had to do damage. That said, he did get triple Breakfast so I had to deal an abnormal amount of damage to beat him, but I solved that puzzle relatively quickly.

2-1 win, on to finals

Finals vs. Giggles playing Huitzil off Void

Well we won the die roll, and we had previously beat them 3-0 in swiss. I was a little overconfident and thought our Huitzil would eat the Angels for free and that I could take either their Huitzil or Bombman for free = I paired Huitzil vs. Angels. Umm… Helio checked two cards for the price of one in game 1 and got a game loss via Judge damage. Oh Oh, I thought. Sean might be able to steal one and take it… Then I heard Bomb Man actually doing something to Fire Man, from my game I thought Bomb Man just did nothing and would explode when lit on Fire (wasn’t super sure though). Meanwhile, while I wasn’t getting judge damage I was facing against a Giggle on fire, which isn’t like a fart on fire but I’m not one to judge. What started with boxcars quickly led to a rough game 1 where even though I stabilized I couldn’t get through the Void wall. I saw it slipping away and pushed it all the way down hill when that pressure saw me try for a kill turn when I didn’t have it through double revoke + my own bad checks.

Game 2 was a typical Garett in the finals game, I made a bad mulligan choice after seeing two of my four sideboard cards, Nailed it and Pharoah Salv. I kept them plus a couple blue cards and played a turn 1 that was nailed it and Breakfast. BOOM he plays out 5 cards and I review a blue and draw more blue and a green, the latter being Z rush. All I had in hand to play turn 2, with one foundation and Nailed it out was P Salv, Moon, Templar, Throw it Down, Z Rush, and Mauy Thai. I play Z Rush and draw a second Templar, play the Muay Thai and pass. 2 assets, 2 foundations, after two turns – I think Giggles died and went to heaven. Even though he did the wrong thing and attacked into me (obviously when ahead you get further ahead…), letting me block with Templar and P Salvation I couldn’t come back down 10ish vitality and staging area’d 4 (inc. 2 assets) to 8 (1 asset).

I lost, and Helio didn’t even have to finish his game 3 (see if he could make up for the game 1 judge damage loss). Sigh, it was a good run for Hot Tony’s team until I ran into the blues. I was determined to not let my blues get me in singles, after all Garett lets you get rid of your blues and replace them with grey skies any day of the week (except for when in Winnipeg and in the finals)! I was right of course, but I forgot to account for the fact I needed at least a blue, so I went from a full on blue exit to a no blue exit. Read on to find out exactly how, trust me, you want to!

0-2 loss, teams second place finish

dutpotd
02-10-2015, 12:59 PM
pt 2 of 2

Singles – I was determined to play myself since I hadn’t had the opportunity to do so for about a year since one of my friends and playgroup players was religiously playing and enjoying it. Devon, after losing to me at UK Nats semi finals, relinquished his hold on my character moving on to what I beat him with… aka Phil Birch.

I’ve played Garett competitively before, the first time off Death and to a final table appearance at Michigan PTC, then off Air and to a final table appearance at Can Nats, and one other time in teams to a top 8 appearance. I felt the Death version was best for the environment because Huitzil and Birch both rely on fewer foundations, early and often aggression (oft relying on checks) and Death, in particular its destruction abilities, is best at starving the opponent for resources and making them think they have enough when they don’t. Not surprisingly, I was correct in my assessment, and it was a pretty easy day of beating the field. The day of top cuts that continued for two games and then I was hit by a truck, literally my innocent looking 70s opponent turned his deck into a truck and threw it at me, I failed my dodge, and to add insult to injury the truck bounced ’5 or 6’ times and I was finally sent packing.

Round 1 vs. Bo Tucker playing Huitzil off Void

Piercing Howl beats me game 2. In game 3 I am furious and the dog shows its face to beat me again but it brought its friend the two check and exited stage left. I literally fist pump and cheer, even though I had two blocks saved I wasn’t exactly sure I’d pass them because well, I am a bad block checker in round 1.

2-1 win, record 1-0-0

Round 2 vs. Scott Sundman playing Andy off Earth

The first thing Scott told me when he saw me in Steak and Shake Thursday night was that he was coming for me. That’s fine, when we gauntlet it I come out on top. His deck has absolutely no chance of beating me, he can’t even try to check like a god to beat me because he plays all bad cards, throws. Sorry Scott, lrn2deckbuild for the meta, i.e. try to figure out what I will play?

2-0 win, record 2-0-0

Round 3 vs. Andrew Olexa playing Sasquatch off Good

For some reason Olexa and I have been meeting in swiss a lot, its good for me because I am asked to raise my game to play against my better and I am very good at rising to challenges and dropping down to weak competition, that is what I do best – make games interesting so I have a chance to win them all.

That said I see speed reduce early in game 1 and game 2, Intoxicating Seduction is my friend and I outbuild and win. Actually, game 2 I don’t outbuild I just take a bunch in the chops since I had momentum already and Divine Trib, drew into the second D Trib and killed him turn 2 on backswing.

2-0 win, record 3-0-0

Round 4 vs. Ryan Field playing Bomb Man off Death

Free stuff is always nice. I honestly thought Ryan was just playing Bomb man as a troll deck for teams, one he wouldn’t dare to play in singles. I was wrong, I guess he wanted to troll everyone, not just his matchups that favored him. In any case, Death Garett is better than All Phil when against Bomb Man, reasoning I can choose to outbuild with Death Garett. I choose that, and poked, my Hyper Bombs hit – his don’t. Ryan is an amazing player, and an amazing deckbuilder, but none of that matters when requiring a long game against a deck that plays the long game better.

2-0 win, record 4-0-0

Round 5 vs. Phil Birch playing Phil Birch off Good

So far, I’ve only lost to Howl. I’m feeling pretty good. So good in fact that I was overjoyed to see the best symbol in the game across from me, Good of course. I’m good at losing to Phil Birch, but only in the finals when my Garett luck finds me. He forgot this and I think he thought for all of the first turn of the game he might have a chance of beating me. Nope. I outbuild, outblock, and destroy. It doesn’t help that I know the Good symbol better than anyone and know exactly what his threats are and lack thereof. I pick him apart but promise him I will pick apart all three Birchs if the fates allow.

2-0 win, record 5-0-0

Round 6 vs. Kevin Broberg playing Phil Birch off All

The fates do allow and I am playing against an All Birch deck and player that already bopped me at Michigan PTC. I know exactly what he will do, but that doesn’t mean I will stop it – in order to do that I would need to run better than even and pass turn 1 block checks, nope – need a 5, check a 4. That was the story all day, even when looking at the top with Majigen I still fail block checks. I have issues. Game 1 I lose because I get softened up and although I stabilize I do so into a demonic turn of great checks, lots of multiple and throws.

I’m not perturbed though, I can afford to lose here, the only reason I need to win is for Birch and Devon, to keep things fair for all fools, the foolish fools that foolishly think foolish decks with foolish throws can win US nats. Well they can’t fool me, not even the once. I mess Kevin up game two and even though he insists on shuffling my deck before going to game three, seriously? Pile shuffling my deck for me before we start? Now I was mad. I stomped him game 3 even after he luckily blocks a reversal lethal nivose. Get out of my house, only I can win cardboard with Birch.

2-1 win, record 6-0-0

Round 7 vs. Jeremy Ray playing Mei Lien off Order

Now I’m not one to intentional draw, but when you are first either way I thought Jeremy and I should go for a cup of tea and settle our destined final table final round matchup like gentleman. We always tie at that point anyways (see worlds 2013), and worlds 2014, the only time we don’t tie in Swiss is when I am playing Bittner (cheating) which has happened twice.

This was the most epic tea drinking match ever but like I suspected it ended in a tie. Flys kept landing in my teacup asking why I wasn’t playing cards and I hurt my hand swatting one away. I actually think it bit me so hard that it stuck and might show up on me for teams next year.

0-0 tie, record 6-0-1

Round of 16 vs. Jayce playing Vincent Grey off Order

New player, yummy. Kidding, he was actually really good. His deck on the other hand… There is only one thing worse than an Evil deck when it comes to playing against me, obv. an Order deck people. Stop playing decks that go long game against me or rely on silly tricks. If players knew what was best for them they wouldn’t touch Evil or Order as symbols.

He’s done a marvelous job of explaining the game we played in his report. What he fails to mention is even if he didn’t make the mistake of letting me have Holiday time I had 20+ different backup plans all of which meant Order, like Evil, looks at me, looks at their hand, and says to themselves. :):):):).

1-0 win, on to quarter finals

Quarter finals vs. William aka one-eye Willy playing Mai off Water

Most strong players know the best way to beat me is to turn the game into a game of checks, even then if things go normally (they don’t cuz I have bad luck) they can/should win just as many coinflips as me. I knew William knew how to play, and had a firm understanding of matchups and UFS, and the fact he went for broke early and often proved he knew how to play his deck well. After a dominating game 1, my deck cooperated with his strategy and failed some block checks, he continued to pass his attack checks in god like fashion, and that means I lose the battle of checks and die. To be more specific:

Won’t talk about game 1, except for the fact he lived on a 6 check block. Literally, the only thing that would have saved him was a 6 check and he Seas Meeted the block. It didn’t matter I was so far ahead I killed him the following turn.

Game 2 I sided in the 4th Entangled and it ‘should’ have won me the match. Now, before I explain this game you need to realize something, I have lost in splendid fashion to many splendid players (Polka, Wagoner, my Mark with my decks, Broberg with my decks, etc.), but this one was quite possibly a ‘worse’ truck to the face than any preceding it. In other words, Mr. Bryan set a new record, one I will not forget.

He starts well, passing four foundation cards on build – I drop Cat Force and get rid of one on my turn while building my own four cards and Entangling him. Turn 2 he plays two Mai stackers (on 5 and 6…) and a couple foundations. I get rid of another foundation of his and build 5 more. Having drawn a card I have 2 cards in hand, and 8 cards in my staging area to his three Mais and 4 foundations. He attacks and checks a 3, committing two cards to pass Blazing. I full block the Blazing with Showdown committing his other two foundations. Now here is where things get crazy, with me at full vitality, up 1 game, and him fully committed he says ‘guess I got to check really well here’. Uh. Yeah. He passes Shiranui no Mai by checking a 5 and committing his character. Ouch, we clear card pools and I take 10. He plays Gut Shot by checking a 6. Okay. Then he Moons and checks a 5 choosing Ryuuenbu. He is afraid I can block somehow (haha yeah with that 0 low block I have in hand, not) and pumps speed reducing damage, I take 7, I’m at 10. He readies his character, and passes the Ryuuenbu on a 5, its at 7 damage but because he hard checked it he Mais to make it for +3 +3 and 10 damage for exactly game… Fully committed he checks a 5-6-5-5 to win. Yaknow, with the Mourning the Lost, Moon, and attacks in his deck, this isn’t a chance I’d be taking every day, my maths tell me it is about 1 in 7 odds of happening not including the need to draw and have those exact cards in hand to play.

Game three I’m shaking my head but inside I know it can’t possibly happen like that again, can it? Turn 1 I play out three foundations, fail the fourth and pass turn. He goes for Mai stacker on 4 and checks a 3 committing character to pass. Then he passes four foundations on fives and sixes. Okay, at this point I was freaking out. Maybe it can happen again. My turn two I don’t draw entangled nor did I draw Intoxicating, 7 cards that auto win this matchup for me going first, 7 cards I don’t see after seeing 13 due to my R, I get gobsmacked by one of my four two checks, checking it on my third foundation difficulty 4 – I have to commit cards, I do and Garett down a card. Here is possibly where I make the biggest, only, decision choice wrong of the tournament. I opt to put Majigen down committed so I can play Celestial down ready, for some reason I wanted counter stun – tbh I was afraid he had stupid card X = stun 3 stupid card since it goes so well with Divine and I couldn’t afford to be stunned 3. Turns out he doesn’t even play it, his deck is bad and plays 4 Haoh instead of 2 Haoh and two stupid card. Yay bad deckbuilding. Yay. He does have Moon, 2 of them, also great deckbuilding but whatever, Celestial is good? Well whatever, I still have some cards ready so I can probably block something, right, right? Or failing that he might check poorly since he checked so godlike turn 1 build, right, right? Nope. His turn two he forms and starts with Blazing Storm, I have a card in pool vs. a 7 speed attack. I have a +2 high in hand. I go to full block needing a 5 check, yay for more than even chances, nope a 4 check, I can’t even commit out to pass. I take 9 to the face. I have ready cards but no block and Garett doesn’t discard draw into one, also great. He plays another Blazing Storm on 6, passes… of course, 10 damage. Okay, I am down to 8. Shiranui on a 7 for game? Another strong check and that is coming 7 speed high for 12 after Mai commit into my two card pool. Lovely. Exit stage right. If I had Majigen I could have made him recheck this. What was his top card you ask? Given what he’d seen so far, the betting man in me would say it’s a 4 or worse and he’d have failed the 7 diff check, the me that knows I was destined to get checked to death knows it was probably another Sees Meet.

--

Props to everyone, especially the players that beat me, Giggles and William. I know who you are and I’m coming for you in your sleep! Hehehe mwhahahaha, kidding.

ATLDrew
02-10-2015, 01:40 PM
The sheer volume of excellent, Garrett style snarkiness in this article makes this the best report ever. so many shots are fired. Well played sir!

Cetonis
02-10-2015, 01:43 PM
For interesting's sake, I'm wondering how you would (in serious) explain your dismissive stance towards Order and Evil.

i.e. are they worse because they don't have Mourning? Lack of reversals? Just overall fewer "envelope-pushing" cards?

Jayce
02-10-2015, 03:55 PM
"Round of 16 vs. Jayce playing Vincent Grey off Order

New player, yummy. Kidding, he was actually really good. His deck on the other hand… There is only one thing worse than an Evil deck when it comes to playing against me, obv. an Order deck people. Stop playing decks that go long game against me or rely on silly tricks. If players knew what was best for them they wouldn’t touch Evil or Order as symbols.

He’s done a marvelous job of explaining the game we played in his report. What he fails to mention is even if he didn’t make the mistake of letting me have Holiday time I had 20+ different backup plans all of which meant Order, like Evil, looks at me, looks at their hand, and says to themselves."

Yeah you're probably right, thanks for giving me a peace of mind! I thought that was the biggest misplay of that whole weekend so I was really beating myself up for it.

Thanks for acknowledging me as someone good though! Im really happy actually.

So I guess Clark would not be played as order? :D

dutpotd
02-10-2015, 04:01 PM
So I guess Clark would not be played as order? :D

Clark's best symbol is 'currently' Order simply because it has draw. Clark isn't like other Order decks as he has a character specific attack, so I am fine with saying Order sucks and Clark is competitive in the same breath.

'Caz Simon
02-10-2015, 08:03 PM
So many shots fired in this post that you'd think it was the Americans in here looking for oil.

PvtChurch
02-10-2015, 09:02 PM
I am going to try this "trash talk" thing for once

I greatly enjoyed our game, and it was a blast hanging out with you guys through this weekend! Never a dull moment!

:):):):), I'm bad at this

dutpotd
02-10-2015, 09:56 PM
:):):):), I'm bad at this

A for effort, I see smileys that means you are getting somewhere!

Was amazing having you hang with us as well, you were so close to topping and help me get to my 25% top cuts is Canada goal, so close.

Nfxon
02-11-2015, 09:02 AM
You Canadians are 3,000 kilometers too far away for a Vegas championship! /wheeliebin

dutpotd
02-11-2015, 10:00 AM
You Canadians are 3,000 kilometers too far away for a Vegas championship! /wheeliebin

This may be true but I have won THREE cards from said Vegas championship before, and finished 2nd four other times (teams included of course).

The amount I visit you guys though means I'm not really 100% Canadian though so, yeah :)

wafflecopter
02-11-2015, 11:15 AM
I'm not even done reading but I can't let you get away with

after he luckily blocks a reversal lethal nivose.Because you didn't speed pump it around the Power Wave I tutored for 30 seconds ago! whatanidiot.wav

dutpotd
02-11-2015, 11:18 AM
I'm not even done reading but I can't let you get away with

Because you didn't speed pump it around the Power Wave I tutored for 30 seconds ago! whatanidiot.wav

This is true :) Because I mathed and arrived at you having to hard check the block, had I given it speed I'd have lost my guaranteed survival (throw block for no damage) so I stuck with the guaranteed win in the case you had a trick I didn't see on board. I always assure my own survival first.

But yeah, I made a mistake, in hindsight if I was thinking clearly I would have just killed you.

wafflecopter
02-11-2015, 11:35 AM
Also, am I following the last game right? He goes Blazing, Blazing, Shiranui and you're dead? If you Pull him to Majigen, and he replays Shiranui, it'll be his fourth attack aka no progressive.

@Tim I think he doesn't like Evil/Order because they play relatively lightweight offense that can't kill early and doesn't scale up into the late game enough to trump a larger staging area, or defensive toys like Deadly Precision or Crime Fighter. They also rely on throws to a greater or lesser extent, which look awful against multiple maindeck Power Struggles

dutpotd
02-11-2015, 11:40 AM
Also, am I following the last game right? He goes Blazing, Blazing, Shiranui and you're dead? If you Pull him to Majigen, and he replays Shiranui, it'll be his fourth attack aka no progressive.

@Tim I think he doesn't like Evil/Order because they play relatively lightweight offense that can't kill early and doesn't scale up into the late game enough to trump a larger staging area, or defensive toys like Deadly Precision or Crime Fighter. They also rely on throws to a greater or lesser extent, which look awful against multiple maindeck Power Struggles

Yes, you are following it right, good point - he'd have to check less good because of the static. It doesn't matter I underestimated his turn two capability, overestimated by ability to block, and didn't play Majigen ready.

You are right Kevin, I dislike Evil and Order because they are boring - they can't win early, they rely on throws, they are extremely predictable, often they can't even punish, and they are too defensive.

dutpotd
02-11-2015, 11:49 AM
Also, Evil and Order decks often play really bad cards - One way cards I call them - like Team K', the most overrated piece of dung this side of the Sun.

ATLPiglet
02-13-2015, 11:26 AM
Garett, Didn't Montanada declare it's independence from Canada?
Also, a report like this is why I hate Garett Brett, but I have had to listen to him, cause he knows certain things about this game. Throws are bad guys, Garett has showed me twice how bad they are.

dutpotd
02-13-2015, 11:44 AM
Garett, Didn't Montanada declare it's independence from Canada?
Also, a report like this is why I LOVE to hate Garett Brett, but I have had to listen to him, cause he knows certain things about this game. Throws are bad guys, Garett has showed me twice how bad they are.

Come on, I can read between the lines why not just say what you really feel? :)

Montanda hasn't quite seceded yet so don't get ahead of yourself!

Finally, throws are bad. I can't remember the times you are talking about but I do recall you playing a bad throw deck during worlds teams. I'm glad you learned your lesson ^^

ATLPiglet
02-13-2015, 12:47 PM
Garett is so bad at this game, he's so dreamy, I hate him, OMG he messaged me! Maybe he will ask me out...

dutpotd
02-13-2015, 01:16 PM
Garett is so bad at this game, he's so dreamy, I hate him, OMG he messaged me! Maybe he will ask me out...

I've had this effect on the ladies before, actually it's quite a routine thing, but never any girl who lives in Atlanta and never someone on a message board.

Shaneth
02-13-2015, 01:23 PM
Good showing Garett! :) I really enjoyed your Death build that you played in singles!

However, I'm sure that both of us knew that you had no chance of winning once you ID'd with Jeremy Ray, but that was a decision you chose to make! Tyler McCartin was very upset when he saw you ID, after your long spiel to him in Poughkeepsie about how IDers will never win. Ben Shoemaker also ID'd with Phil Birch in round 7, but that was after Ben picked up the game 3 win when they played it out. He came to play UFS, and UFS rewarded him with cardboard.

Regardless, all of this said, I'm quite convinced that winning is not at the top of your agenda, and I am sure you have your good reasons. "Tea Time with J-Ray" doesn't happen often, and is more valuable than being the first player in the Jasco Era to break 20 points in swiss. I am very happy that you were able to acknowledge that those flies in your teacup knew what was going on xD

Just giving you a hard time, of course. Relationships made in UFS are priceless!

Hoping to play you at a PTC sometime! It has been 5.5 years and counting since our last match!

dutpotd
02-13-2015, 01:45 PM
Shaneth,

1) You are right, I didn't come to play UFS, I'm glad you read the beginning of my report and realized I came to visit friends and family.

I certainly didn't ID, whatever that is (sounds horrible though), and never would. JRay might have thought I said that because it sounds a lot like 'lets go for tea' ' let's ID', but I can assure you it was a misunderstanding and that's it.

2) Thank you for reading the report. That Death build is really really bad - just like my character - and I don't recommend anyone try it out.

3) Out of curiosity, do you have the stats on my strength of schedule from that tourney? I'd be interested to know it because since we are talking about records it's got to be close to one of the highest yet. Then again, records are meant to be broken so like your whole spiel on me not wanting to go 7-0, it doesn't really matter.

Just remember, you may think UFS is too damn good (and I assume that's why you quit and joined the Company), but as for myself I'm a believer in it always getting better and from there it follows it will never be good enough. Ultimately, that is why I keep playing and will continue to do so, it has nothing to do with winning or losing, it has to do with getting better.

ATLPiglet
02-13-2015, 02:15 PM
Garett, you and I both know that post about never in Atlanta is a lie. And I have a human being to prove it.

Shaneth
02-13-2015, 02:16 PM
it sounds a lot like 'lets go for tea' ' let's ID'

Legit roflcopter'd xD

I am also sensing some heat ;)

Just for you, Garett, and the many others who wish to know the final standings...

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e326/epsshane/004_zps7741ffb3.jpg (http://s42.photobucket.com/user/epsshane/media/004_zps7741ffb3.jpg.html)

dutpotd
02-13-2015, 02:28 PM
Piglet, let's not talk about never like it is an absolute term, an Airport isn't technically in a city after all. In fact, let's not talk about this at all. Thank you for your hate-love, next time you'd better be there so you can be in said report, at the very least I'll teach you more about throws at gencon.

Thanks Shaneth, I can't remember if I've seen higher than 105 in a 7 round event but probably its happened what with byes and all. I was curious because my lowest opponent was Bo Tucker Huitzil which I assumed must have done well, and when your lowest is doing well it usually turns into a good strength of schedule.

I don't know what heat is, I'm Canadian remember? But I think it's coming from my tea - maybe as Jeremy Ray?

Nfxon
02-13-2015, 02:33 PM
That wheeeelie bin 86 sneaking in there :D
Weird that I played four out the top cuts in swiss.
But hey whatever!
And the G&J top table should have had tea watching Birch and myself. Those games were epic.

dutpotd
02-13-2015, 02:35 PM
And the G&J top table should have had tea watching Birch and myself. Those games were epic.

We were watching that, while drinking tea damnit! Perhaps you were too busy Bing Bonging to notice, those games were epic.

ATLPiglet
02-13-2015, 02:40 PM
Garett the Love-Hate will be strong when we finally have a 3rd extended champ for the dream team. We have to decide when to form the super team.

dutpotd
02-13-2015, 02:42 PM
Garett the Love-Hate will be strong when we finally have a 3rd extended champ for the dream team. We have to decide when to form the super team.

You are assuming one of us (you or I) won't win extended for the rest of time. I wouldn't carelessly assume such things :) But you are right, a 2 man dream team is even better.

wafflecopter
02-13-2015, 02:55 PM

Okay now I really have to win at Origins.

PvtChurch
02-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Okay now I really have to win at Origins.

Oh..... Oh it's on now

'Caz Simon
02-13-2015, 04:42 PM
Just for you, Garett, and the many others who wish to know the final standings...

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e326/epsshane/004_zps7741ffb3.jpg (http://s42.photobucket.com/user/epsshane/media/004_zps7741ffb3.jpg.html)

Woah woah woah WOAH TIME OUT

Phil spends 2 days telling me I backdoor diversified him and I was lucky beating his 100 SOS, when he had an 85?!

'Caz Simon
02-13-2015, 04:49 PM
Also, Scott taking 100 on Andy is totally boss. Fearlessly walking into the hardest matchups.

Birch
02-13-2015, 07:44 PM
Cant count bro. Salty math is hard upside down on a blurry 2003 laptop. O_O

you did backdoor dont :):):):)ing hide it

dutpotd
02-13-2015, 09:35 PM
you did backdoor dont :):):):)ing hide it

Don't worry, he knows he backdoored because he was the only of the top cut Birchs who didn't have to face me and I'm worth at least a bonus 3 SoS points so you really have 88+

ATLPiglet
02-14-2015, 08:45 AM
Devon you need to work on your :):):):) talk. The correct answer to Phil is, hell yeah I back doored your ass and it worked, and I top eighted and you didn't.
<3 You Phil just trying to help the kid out

generalreaction2.0
02-14-2015, 09:23 AM
Garett, the next time i see you at the teams table, how about you try dealing with me yourself eh? I'm tired of steam rolling your teammates in 15 minutes :P

Birch
02-14-2015, 08:31 PM
He does need some help piglet. He is a bad :):):):) talker. Canadians too nice