PDA

View Full Version : Contemplation+ Ancient Insight+ SPD = Win?

B-Rad
09-07-2010, 11:22 PM
So yeah in digging through my legacy stuff I noticed something crazy!

http://www.twoheadeddragon.com/ufs/DS01/scans/DS017.jpg
http://www.twoheadeddragon.com/ufs/SC02/scans/SC02_106.jpg
http://www.twoheadeddragon.com/ufs/SF01/scans/SF01_105.jpg

Now the key word in all three of these cards is discard. You grind with Contemplation, which says you discard the card if it's not an attack. Now does that trigger Ancient Insight, which as you can read above says that after my opponent discards card, they punk another one? And further does each use of Ancient Insight/Contemplation trigged SPD if it's in my momentum?

Also moderately related, if I use Abeila's Friendship to make them discard momentum, does that trigged SPD and Ancient Insight?

Cheers,

Brad

Sato Arashi
09-07-2010, 11:28 PM
I would say it does work. Discard is a bit ambiguous since it's most common from the hand to discard pile but due to the text, it says otherwise. SPK is self-explanitory since it states After your opponent places 1 or more cards into their discard pile.

Hayamachop
09-07-2010, 11:30 PM
You cannot react with Ancient Insight on contemplation. Discard if not explicitly stated means from your hand. But the contemplation +SPD works like a charm. Especially when you have 2 or 3 :]

And yes making them put anything into their discard do to your card effects [i.e destroying foundations, discarding from hand, discarding top of their deck, discarding momentum] are all great ways to do it

I actually did this in a double dragon tourney and won..

Tagrineth
09-07-2010, 11:33 PM
No, it doesn't work. The word "discard" on its own refers to discard from hand, unless the effect specifies otherwise. Ancient Insight, since it just refers to "discard", is only referring to discard from hand. In other words, while yes, your Contemplation will make them discard from their deck and trigger Spinning Pile Driver, you cannot respond to it with Ancient Insight.

And yes, Abelia's will trigger SPD. SPD just says places cards in their discard pile, doesn't care what the cause of it is.

rAn
09-07-2010, 11:33 PM
The rule with discard is unless it is otherwise stated, discard is always from the hand. Since Ancient Insight doesn't specify about discarding it will only interact with discarding cards from the hand. But SPD + Contemplation works fine.

EDIT: Whelp, Tag beat me to it! :P

B-Rad
09-07-2010, 11:36 PM
Damn all you and your correct by the book rulings!!! Lol ok thanks guys I thought I mighta snapped the game a little.

aslum
09-08-2010, 03:19 AM
On the other hand ANcient Insight does work with other discarding cards (Charisma FREX) and SPD.

Hayamachop
09-08-2010, 11:31 AM
i can dig up a mini deck list fer ya if you want :p

B-Rad
09-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Heh thanks Haya I'd love to compare Gief decks. I've been playing SPD Gief since I started playing UFS in set 2. I've had my deck popping around my head for awhile, just all a matter of getting off my behind to construct it.

Shinguyi
09-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Either way, Contemplation with Spinning Pile Driver is nasty... very nice thing you showed us.

So how exactly do other wordings work with discarding when its form a different zone since Contemplation doesn't count for discarding even though it says on the card?

Hayamachop
09-09-2010, 01:29 PM
SPD doesn't say discard it says "After opponent adds a card to their discard pile from your card effect."

Shinguyi
09-09-2010, 02:25 PM
I don't mean Spinning Pile Driver, I'm referring to the act of discarding general. We all know its from hand unless other wise stated, but what are cases of this "otherwise stated" to activate Ancient Insight? If Contemplation isn't discard even though it says on the card then what other card is if its not from hand?

Hayamachop
09-09-2010, 02:46 PM
OH sorry, I think since in the response it isnt stated, it must also be from the hand. So basically there are no instances besides discard from hand that this could be applied.

Sorry if im misreading your post again my brain feels so foggy today :P

Tagrineth
09-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Hayama is correct. Ancient Insight will only trigger off discard from hand, since it doesn't specify anything, and as such it will only trigger an additional discard from hand.