PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta PTC June 13 2015

Nfxon
05-09-2015, 07:55 PM
Is happpppeninnnggggggg.
We are looking for an early start time probably 11 latest. Will update once 100%

Ravens Nest
688 Whitlock Ave NW Suite 400, Marietta, Georgia 30064

THE YOUNG MAP (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Raven's+Nest+Games/@33.952661,-84.57278,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x88f515d0e7d5acbf:0x56174 8463139f80f)

Soon as we have sign up page I'll add it unless a Jasco persona does it.

Nfxon
05-09-2015, 07:58 PM
Prize support will inclue a pierce howl shower on Garett!!!

maybe, I might be able to sell some private screenings of this.
START BIDDING.

NJBrock22
05-10-2015, 03:30 AM
could have sworn this was slated for July originally... *makes plans to attend*

N.J.

victimsofadown
05-10-2015, 06:30 AM
So there are 2 PTCs in June? I can dig it

theboogerman
05-10-2015, 09:47 AM
I'm just waiting for confirmation on my time off.

Nfxon
05-10-2015, 10:45 AM
The June PTCs are opposite ends of the country really.
Shouldn't be much scheduling conflicts :p

dutpotd
05-10-2015, 12:12 PM
Prize support will inclue a pierce howl shower on Garett!!!

maybe, I might be able to sell some private screenings of this.
START BIDDING.

I will be there. And now I really want to achieve prize support! (by shower, you do mean ripped to shreds and confetti howl right? That's my typical showering procedure after a hard workout).

There is no June scheduling conflict, personally I will be at two PTCs that month :)

Brodiewan
05-10-2015, 04:31 PM
Bleh. I have to miss. Next year possibly. Good luck to all!

Shaneth
05-11-2015, 04:24 PM
I must be there to defend the title ^_^

dutpotd
05-11-2015, 04:43 PM
I must be there to defend the title ^_^

I've got my best deck ready for ATL, my troll deck is ready for New Orleans and the deck with a character card that I want banned is ready for Scotts Valley (because every time I win that my character is promptly banned thereafter).

Shaneth
05-11-2015, 08:00 PM
The Atlanta PTC is up on the Events page:
http://jascogames.com/events/

You can preregister here:
http://jascogames.com/product/atlanta-ptc/

Hungrynerd
05-31-2015, 01:26 PM
Good afternoon! I am going to try and make it; however, I'm a little unsure about what is currently legal is Standard. I've searched around the forums and put some pieces together but I'm not sure which promos are legal.

What I know...

Red horizon sets rotated out
all 6 star promos rotated out
KOF13 forward is legal

Are the all the champ cards legal?
Are the the gencon KOF13 characters legal. (Mai, Kyo, iori)

Thanks in advance! This will help greatly in trying to gather the cards I'd like to play

dutpotd
05-31-2015, 01:35 PM
If the champ card doesn't have a 6 star on it... then it is legal. For example, When the Moon has rotated, so has Kirk Polka, Jon Herr, UFS House etc.

However the cards that have the other watermark (circle thingy) are all still legal.

Same answer to your next question; however, Mai* is a 6 point (promo shiny) and set card so she is still legal. The one of her that rotated is the one that only exists with a 6 point shuriken, i.e. 4 difficulty Mai***. Similarily, Kyo* and Kyo** are still legal but the Kyo*** that is only printed with a 6 point shuriken (the one that gives damage or speed = to cards in opponent's hand) has rotated. I'm going to guess you are asking about Iori***, again he only has a 6 point shuriken version and has rotated.

TLDR if it has a 6 point shuriken (and hasn't been reprinted with something else) it has rotated.

Hungrynerd
05-31-2015, 01:38 PM
Thank you!

ATLDrew
06-12-2015, 11:48 AM
Bump on the other thread. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK IT OUT FOR IMPORTANT SCHEDULING DETAILS! http://forums.jascogames.com/forums/showthread.php?11153-Atlanta-PTC-Hype-Room-Deck-Request-Thread!&p=133841#post133841

Shaneth
06-12-2015, 05:31 PM
Just dropping in to say that pre registration will close in about 3 hours.

Shaneth
06-13-2015, 07:25 PM
Top 8

5-1-0 Shane Duckworth (Skull Man)
4-0-2 Garett Brett (Terry.)
4-1-1 Dave Wagoner (Gemini Man)
4-1-1 Matt Maffei (Athena)
4-2-0 Kevin Broberg (Saiki.)
4-2-0 Ben Lambright (Snake Man)
3-0-3 Devon Bernier (Andy)
3-1-2 Matt Turner (Jack Lambourne)

PvtChurch
06-13-2015, 07:35 PM
Aw man, Canadian fight in top 8 :(

toysoldyours
06-13-2015, 08:24 PM
Super bogard bros. calgary tag team

Magnusotls
06-13-2015, 09:40 PM
so JJ was legal, but no one topped with her?

Cetonis
06-13-2015, 10:48 PM
Bo decided JJ was not legal.

theboogerman
06-13-2015, 10:49 PM
Interesting looking top 8.

victimsofadown
06-14-2015, 04:59 AM
Bo decided JJ was not legal.

Interesting. I like that dude.

Onslaught
06-14-2015, 09:09 AM
Really wanna see that Saiki

Magnusotls
06-14-2015, 09:28 AM
I would be surprised if it did not involve Skull Fortress.

Shaneth
06-14-2015, 11:06 AM
Top 4

Jack Lambourne vs Gemini Man
Athena vs Andy

Shaneth
06-14-2015, 11:06 AM
Gemini Man 2-0 Jack Lambourne

Athena and Andy are still on game 1

Shaneth
06-14-2015, 11:36 AM
Andy took game 1

toysoldyours
06-14-2015, 11:44 AM
God. I knew Devon was gonna eat faces with that stupid Andy. The birth of MoM's dirty elbow.

Shaneth
06-14-2015, 12:24 PM
Andy and Athena are on game 3

Shaneth
06-14-2015, 01:52 PM
Finals
Andy vs Gemini Man

Andy is currently up 1 game

Shaneth
06-14-2015, 03:06 PM
Gemini Man wins game 2.

Andy wins game 3.

Devon Bernier is your 2015 Atlanta PTC Champion!!!!

tannerface26
06-14-2015, 06:57 PM
The unblockable peoples elbow is too strong.

vaporgecko
06-14-2015, 09:26 PM
Dude, Master of Magnetism is ridiculous. That card alone will limit the abilities of other cards in the future.

JavelinChimera
06-14-2015, 10:10 PM
MoM been one of my favorites since release, that's some sweet action I imagine won't be around for long.

The_Grim
06-15-2015, 02:50 AM
Since Cossack Catcher was specifically designed so that if it was made unblockable you couldn't pump the damage....this seems like something that should be addressed, though I don't know if the solution is to address MoM or the Elbow

tannerface26
06-15-2015, 07:04 AM
Since Cossack Catcher was specifically designed so that if it was made unblockable you couldn't pump the damage....this seems like something that should be addressed, though I don't know if the solution is to address MoM or the Elbow

That's funny cause I don't really think it needs to be addressed but I am not there so I would have to rely on Jray's opinion.

The_Grim
06-15-2015, 07:20 AM
Personally I don't think it needs to be addressed....but personally I didn't think Cossack Catcher needed to be limited like it is either....but if you are going to do one seems like you should want to do the other

ATLDrew
06-15-2015, 08:10 AM
The issue is, once again, more mourning than either elbow or mom. The all umblockabe decks arent as much a problem if they cant just go to late game and slap 20+ damage on an elbow/crash slam

Shaneth
06-15-2015, 09:39 AM
The problem is Mourning the Lost because 30 damage unblockables are never okay.

Andy is the only character who has a decent unblockable. That technique is special only to him. If Mourning is hit, that deck takes a considerable power loss and must find its damage through other means. If you want to make a Crash Slam unblockable, then you must dual symbol since it doesn't share any symbols with Master of Magnetism.

Master of Magnetism was never intended to create unblockables. However, it is not banworthy yet.

Deck Dont Matter
06-15-2015, 09:42 AM

Andy is the only character who has a decent unblockable. That technique is special only to him. If Mourning is hit, that deck takes a considerable power loss and must find its damage through other means. If you want to make a Crash Slam unblockable, then you must dual symbol since it doesn't share any symbols with Master of Magnetism.

Master of Magnetism was never intended to create unblockables. However, it is not banworthy yet.

Thank you Shane for at least agreeing it isn't the fact that unblockable attacks are the issue but the damage pump/card advantage of mourning the lost is the problem.

Shaneth
06-15-2015, 10:23 AM
Well, it's just the facts xD
I don't pretend to understand UFS very well.

If Andy takes a few turns to set up an unblockable for 7 to 10 damage, then it's fine. Other decks can and will kill their opponents in that amount of time. If Andy takes 6 turns to set up an unblockable for 30, then that's a problem. He can only achieve such high damage on his unblockable with Mourning the Lost.

The_Grim
06-15-2015, 10:31 AM
I wonder if mourning had not existed if Cossack Catcher would have also remained pump able. Lol maybe I'm just bitter Andy gets one but the good Doctor doesn't

Cetonis
06-15-2015, 10:32 AM
Given the question "which is more inherently unfair/dangerous" between pseudo-throws (Crash Slam, Zan-Ei) and forcing on-zone blocks (MoM, Lunar Catapult) I tend to believe it's the former - which is why Crash Slam has such a steep cost to damage inefficiency. Zan-Ei was instead "balanced" via character-only, which we can debate the meaning of (it doesn't change how good it is in that best case).

The zone reset on MoM was in some part to counter Law of the Land, and some part to prevent unblockables in cases like Lunar Catapult (if you change it to low and then MoM, the zone reset is the only thing that stops the unblockable from happening). Zan-Ei simply wasn't on anyone's radar to the extent that Lunar of course was, and the interaction was flat missed.

Whether the interaction is too good or not absent Mourning (the obvious #1 perpetrator here) is a debate worth having, but personally I'd lean toward Zen-Ei over MoM if something had to go. Zan-Ei is inherently dangerous to begin with (all pseudo-throws are), while in more typical cases MoM "just" gives you a somewhat unexciting foundations committed -> net damage gained ratio that is only good (but quite good) for late game wall breaks.

NJBrock22
06-15-2015, 11:08 AM
i went into the ATL PTC very skeptical about MtL and how broken it was... then i watched THIS match(Andy vs Terry) in top 8... and got to see how degenerate some decks can be with it, and one of those is the Andy + MtL + People's Elbow + MoM combo... i agree now that sadly it is Mourning that is the issue here, unless you VERY QUICKLY get out an answer to it and can kill them quickly the card pretty much can win games, there's only a few ways to play around it(and considering i'm the ONLY person all day[to my knowledge] that never got actually hit by it or had a plan B[revoke & hatered of autumn] to either cancel or seal the cards i can tell it was still powerful to look at and threatening) and most people don't get those out early or often enough to DEAL with what Mourning does... hell iirc all 3 of it's symbols have a way to force the attack thru and a potential way to protect Mourning from some of it's answers, so is the debate gonna continue on whether MtL should stay or go now? sadly i think it's gonna stay...

also in hindsight we SHOULD have been recording the top 8, just so everyone can see Garett's RAGE at his match and about a few cards in the meta right now, it was priceless

*edit*
also on a side note... i think we got ALL the Northerners hooked on Cook Out, i think Shane made THREE Trips to get more food after eating a full meal while we were sitting there talking about the game...

N.J.

The_Grim
06-15-2015, 12:17 PM
I don't think water can do it on symbol...in standard anyway it has heaven's punishment and guys like Sevastian i know death hads"no panties" is there an unblockable scenerio on symbol for water?

vaporgecko
06-15-2015, 06:37 PM

This is absolutely correct.

dutpotd
06-15-2015, 11:46 PM
As the inventor of Mission: Crash our MoMs into Atlanta, and someone who brought MoM to design's attention over a month ago now, I can firmly say most of your understandings align with my own.

Namely, Mourning should have been banned a full year ago now when it was brought to design's attention as a problem card for deck building among other things and all players should receive an apology for it not having been banned. I have played 31 straight undefeated swiss matches with Mourning the Lost 'ever since' the card should have been banned, across UK Nationals, US Nationals, and now two PTCs. My only losses with Mourning decks have been post-swiss to 3 decks that also abused Mourning AND 1 deck that was Huitzil and had an even bigger 'needs an apology to the playerbase card' in Piercing Howl. I'm not meaning to brag, I just need to draw attention to two points 1) it is a consistency+ card, as it assists with build more than anything (draws you out of bad hands), and 2) it doesn't 'let inexperienced players beat experienced players', quite the opposite actually.

When will the decision makers apologize to us for suffering non-fixes to the competitive game? When will Mourning finally be banned?

I'm not sure. The same thing will happen with Jiffany if it isn't banned upon it being brought to attention that it needs to be, aka already.

Now, MoM, is a watch card, it can create unblockables and even when it doesn't it is a form of discard that can't be teched against. Does it need to be banned 'right now'? Your answer to that depends on whether you understand the card pool enough to realize people should have been playing hate for it and simply haven't been.

I can tell you that us players that test the format constantly consider MoM a power card that you need to prepare for, nothing more at this point in time. Is it horrible if it gets banned? Of course not, bannings ARE GOOD FOR THE GAME if they are made correctly.

'Caz Simon
06-16-2015, 02:03 AM
I'm gonna write up a proper report later, but honestly I would hope that this is the final nail in the coffin for Mourning. I only have 2 match losses playing it in 3 events, it's super lame and unfun to feel handicapped by not playing it, and the number of bad decks that become passable because of this card is a joke.

I broke my rule of not complaining about this card on the internet, I'm sorry. But it feels like winning with cheat codes on.

Other than that, this was probably the most fun I've had for an event trip. ATL knows how to party.

tannerface26
06-16-2015, 03:25 PM
I don't think unblockable is really that bad for the game, and does exist in actual fighting games. However it needs to be worked for and should not be doing an entire lifebar. Which honestly other than MtL what would that Andy Deck actually use to pump the damage to lethal?
Born in the USA? Cause that is yet another restriction they would have to play and make the combo a little more clunky.

HypeMan!
06-17-2015, 01:07 AM
I don't think unblockable is really that bad for the game, and does exist in actual fighting games. However it needs to be worked for and should not be doing an entire lifebar. Which honestly other than MtL what would that Andy Deck actually use to pump the damage to lethal?
Born in the USA? Cause that is yet another restriction they would have to play and make the combo a little more clunky.

Technically, nothing is "bad" if there is a way to counter it and its properly costed. Neither of those are met with the MtL + MoM + elbow combo though.

vaporgecko
06-17-2015, 01:30 AM
Technically, nothing is "bad" if there is a way to counter it and its properly costed. Neither of those are met with the MtL + MoM + elbow combo though.

However it is fairly well costed if you have to MoM + Elbow + Momentum (for Elbow E) + X copies of Born in the USA/Former Rivals.

Really, it comes down to MtL.

tannerface26
06-17-2015, 07:40 AM
However it is fairly well costed if you have to MoM + Elbow + Momentum (for Elbow E) + X copies of Born in the USA/Former Rivals.

Really, it comes down to MtL.

This is what I mean.

wafflecopter
06-17-2015, 08:43 AM
I'm on the same page as all of you. Crash Slam / MoM feels reasonable on power level - 4 diff and a 3 diff foundation, plus 2 foundations for unblockable 3 damage (then you can pump it). All doesn't have too many proactive answers-to-answers (although it has more than some - Saw Blades and Nailed It)

The printing of Demitri will make life hell for one-dimensional MoM decks, because he can First F and get a MoM off every turn.

dutpotd
06-17-2015, 10:20 AM
I'm on the same page as all of you. Crash Slam / MoM feels reasonable on power level - 4 diff and a 3 diff foundation, plus 2 foundations for unblockable 3 damage (then you can pump it). All doesn't have too many proactive answers-to-answers (although it has more than some - Saw Blades and Nailed It)

Woah, are you saying my Terry was a fair deck sans Mourning the Lost? Tim, get in here, you said I don't play fair :)

In general, this statement 'Really, it comes down to MTL.' as voiced by a few makes it difficult to analyze what is or isn't too much. It is incredibly difficult to isolate the power level of a deck when it is propped up by MTL - I can tell you that I won plenty of games without a single MTL in play, and as Terry (so no Elbow)...

I am glad that my efforts to draw attention to some of these issues has garnered some discussion. From mill to unblockable, what will I do with MTL next?

Cetonis
06-17-2015, 10:31 AM
I can tell you that I won plenty of games without a single MTL in play, and as Terry (so no Elbow)...

Are you saying you could not have possibly won some games without your deck being unfair? If so, then it's you who's saying you don't know how to play fair decks, not me :)

dutpotd
06-17-2015, 10:54 AM
Are you saying you could not have possibly won some games without your deck being unfair? If so, then it's you who's saying you don't know how to play fair decks, not me :)

Well it would be 'both of us'. Silly Tim, you can't 'un-say' it.

Its been so long since I've played a fair deck, due to the need/direction (even from you at times 'just play a Mourning deck Garett' - or from Keenan 'play the problem') that I'm not sure if I can win without the unfair advantage...

Seriously though, I've never said I was good at playing this game; however, I have confessed to being an okay deck builder.

tannerface26
06-17-2015, 11:03 AM
Well it would be 'both of us'. Silly Tim, you can't 'un-say' it.

Its been so long since I've played a fair deck, due to the need/direction (even from you at times 'just play a Mourning deck Garett' - or from Keenan 'play the problem') that I'm not sure if I can win without the unfair advantage...

Seriously though, I've never said I was good at playing this game; however, I have confessed to being an okay deck builder.

Hmm confessed isn't really the word I would use. More like bellowed your ability to build decks. Which is obviously why you do so well since your such a crappy player./sarcasm

dutpotd
06-17-2015, 11:14 AM
Hmm confessed isn't really the word I would use. More like bellowed your ability to build decks. Which is obviously why you do so well since your such a crappy player./sarcasm

Got me there :) But no one said a confession had to be a quiet whisper.

On that note, you should bellow your deckbuilding ability as well - post your Skull Man for the world to see, then win an event with it. That is what I did with Chin and others, winning isn't enough when you are a deckbuilder first, you have to show them your moves and then 'show' them your moves to really be happy.

wafflecopter
06-17-2015, 11:19 AM
As you say, it's difficult to judge how different it would look without Mourning in it. Wag said he felt favored with Evil Gemini Man against Devon in the finals but he punted it and couldn't find Revoke, so there's another data point (I'm not sure if I agree or disagree, but having 4 Give Up Yet to blunt Andy's R feels really nice)

When you win without using Mourning or unblockables, how do those games look? I imagine you land "unforced" unblocked attacks (perhaps as Reversals, or perhaps backed up by Magnets) as a 6hs, and obviously there are a million ways for that to fail -- I imagine it's usually a bad estimate of how hard you can hit // how far they can (over)extend, or you outplay them (perhaps with blatantly illegal reversal shenanigans <3)

dutpotd
06-17-2015, 11:24 AM
How does Terry off Earth win? We've seen that out of a great player for a number of PTCs, that is how those games look - put cards in their card pool, discard them for damage and play more attacks than they have blocks. Of course, that was just the backup kill condition for my deck, I don't ever play with just one way to win.

I actually agree Wag was on an even footing, any deck with Revokes can combat it. However, 16 attacks, Devon had many ways to win, he didn't rely on an unblockable...

The Void deck with Revokes and 4 Hatred of Autumn is SIGNIFCANTLY favored, Athena can tit for tat that all day long (I've got to stop lending out decks).

Sketch
06-17-2015, 11:54 AM
I absolutely punted my game against Devon game 1. My own fault, I make no excuses for that.

Game 2 went as I expected it would - hold Revokes, aggressively keep him off momentum, sculpt a killshot hand late in my deck to avoid getting reversal Mourning-ed to death, push through more than he could handle.

Game 3 he got a fast start, I got a slow one, and couldn't find revoke. 3 of 4 buried in the last 10 cards of my deck, and he double elbowed me over two turns, the last one with Mourning backup, not a thing I could do about it.

As much as Garett loves crapping on the Evil symbol, it is positioned really well right now IF your character can generate damage. Stun, Revoke, throw hate, a few get out of jail free cards in Meow Meow Kitty Face Keenan and Powerful Assassin, blah blah blah. Sweet Nothings post-board craps all over the unblockable Elbow plan too, so that's something. I would've run them, but there were 5 Geminis total so I teched my board for the mirror - which, of course, I never played against. C'est la vie.

dutpotd
06-17-2015, 11:58 AM
As much as Garett loves crapping on the Evil symbol, it is positioned really well right now IF your character can generate damage. Stun, Revoke, throw hate, a few get out of jail free cards in Meow Meow Kitty Face Keenan and Powerful Assassin, blah blah blah. Sweet Nothings post-board craps all over the unblockable Elbow plan too, so that's something.

I only crap on it because Evil is not Good, by definition it is bad.

Sketch
06-17-2015, 01:31 PM
I can't fault that logic.