PDA

View Full Version : Card Fighters Idea

Shinguyi
09-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Not really reviving a thread but making and asking for suggestions of an idea similar to this one from an "All Attacks Format" and a format in the "SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters DS".

The Thread from the "All Attacks Format (WIP)" is this one in case anyone is curious: http://forums.jascogames.com/forums/showthread.php?794-All-Attacks-Format-(WIP)

What of a Format where players can only use cards from the franchise their character is from? This is more for Legacy though and most likely it would have its own Bans. It would go something like this:

"King of Fighters" characters can only use "King of Fighters" cards.
"Street Fighter" characters can only use "Street Fighter" cards.
"Soul Calibur" characters can only use "Soul Calibur" cards. Don't know if mixing it with "Soul Calibur IV" is a good idea.
"Samurai Showdown" characters can only use "Samurai Showdown" cards.
"Darkstalkers" characters can only use "Darkstalkers" cards.

Exceptions would be the promos with no Franchise; those can be used in any deck. We have seen "Old Dog Learns New Tricks" but I wonder how this one would fair, if it would be fun or creative as well. What do you guys think? Would it be viable? Is it possible to make actual tournaments this way? Would it be fun? Would it be creative?

Ninja's rule
09-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Soul Calibur and Street Fighter would have obvious advantages because of the greater number of sets released for those two licences, while KOF and SS were split in the sets they were released in. Darkstalkers was only available in two sets, so they would be at a rather large disadvantage in terms of available cards to use.

My guess is that in an actual tournament, you would have the majority of players using cards from the SF and SC sets, and to a lesser extent KOF and SS. I think only a select few (brave) would use anybody from Darkstalkers.

Shinguyi
09-09-2010, 06:29 PM
That's true, but at the same time it creates an advantage in a sense; for example, Soul Calibur players and Street Fighter players don't have access to Feline Spike, Ira Spinta or Darkness Blade.

I do agree on that Street Fighter and Soul Calibur has a lot of sets to choose form though... and that is kind of bad for the other sets; same goes for Samurai Showdown. Even so, I am sure all sets have a gem in them that will work extremely well against others. Maybe in those sets we can see some cards back such as "Addess Syndicate" or "Lord of the Makai" since they are from franchise with low support (most likely get erratas as well like Unique or something to make them more balanced). And see more cards as well like Ruler of Southtown and more.

michel3105
09-10-2010, 03:06 AM
Shinguyi, I would have gone even more extreme than you, forcing decks to be built off a single SET, not just a license. So, if you chose Street Fighter, you would have to decide if you want to employ, say, Deadly Ground cards or Extreme Rivals cards, but not both.

This way Ninja's issue is also resolved.

Finally, this is exactly how White Wolf's Vampire CCG works. In it, you never have Standard, Legacy, rotation... Every SET is tournament legal and will always be, but cannot be mixed with other sets.

Shinguyi
09-10-2010, 08:10 AM
That's also a good idea. Maybe that way there wouldn't be any bans?

But what of the promos then? And not sure if its just me, but that wouldn't promote a very creative environment... ^^;

Loon
09-10-2010, 01:18 PM
What about tournaments where only certain sets (possibly random and different every time) are legal? Along the lines of "next week's tourney is SF2, SNK1 and Tekken only, the week after is Quest of souls and Extreme rivals."

Shinguyi
09-10-2010, 02:05 PM
That may work, but many new players wouldn't be able to participate... ^^;

What I think is following the logo of the card in the bottom left corner; that's what I mean by franchise, hehe. I guess it wouldn't be very popular?
Since all decks are mixing cards from all sets into one, was wondering how it would be if that was not the case but instead only mixing cards from the same franchise. That way most banned cards won't be broke, such as "Lord of the Makai" which is broken because of characters out of "Darkstalkers" that can abuse it. At the same time, giving those franchise some fighting chance like for example: since KOF don't have a lot of cards for themselves, getting "Addess Syndicate" back for them would work; that's basically their only negation (it could be errata in the future for the Unique keyword or something). Or another example like Hilde; she would b ebroken if she is stuck with using only "Soul Calibur IV" cards. And "Lord of the Makai" can only be used in "Darkstalkers" decks (most likely being errata in Unique keyword as well).