PDA

View Full Version : Gen Con 2015 Thanks and Shout outs

PaulBittner
08-03-2015, 01:03 PM
First of all a huge congratulations to Garett Brett who was dominant this weekend and didn't lose a single match in singles. In an environment of speed and quick damage, Garett once again differentiated himself by zigging when most everyone else was zagging. In my mind, Garett's unorthodox deck building style and ability to think outside the box, combined with his preparation, skill, and attention to detail has made him the best player in recent years.

Thank you - Garett, Mark, Devon, and the others from your play group for all your help preparing, training, and of course lending me the cards this last week. If it weren't for you I wouldn't have been playing UFS this year and having so much fun spending time with the UFS community once again.

As for my tournament experience at Gen Con I was proud of how I did overall for not having touched or played UFS since I won in 2012. Anyone who played me or saw me play undoubtedly noticed a lot of the mistakes and errors I made throughout the tournament, but I felt like I continued to improve the more games I played. To me, UFS is a game that you really need to practice a lot and have a good understanding of the meta and card interactions in order to succeed in a competitive tournament level.

Thank you to all those whom I played and interacted with. I read and re-read cards throughout the tournament and each person I came in contact with was extremely patient and kind as I did so. It reinforced what I've known for so long, that the best thing about UFS is still the community.

To all of my opponents during the week I really enjoyed all of our match ups. I got to have a lot of fun playing people I never had before as well as many old familiar faces. Special shout outs and acknowledgements to those I played during the week including, Garett, Devon, Mike Lowe, Tanner Lang, Daniel Hughes, Matt Turner, Kevin Broberg, Kirk Polka, Matthew Hughes, Christine OíBrien, Jess Rodriguez, Kerrie Bunnell, and the others I know Iím missing.

Special thanks to Ben who gave me a beer to drink (and later Moonshine) after I lost to skull man.

Thanks to Stefan Jones and Tanner Lang for lending me cards to play during the tournament.

Thanks to Danny Fung for the annual delivery of Canadian Ketchup.

Mike Hardiman It was good to meet you for the first time. Thanks for traveling to America to play.

I had a great time hanging out with the entire Atlanta group, Michigan guys, and Canadians outside of the tournament. Thanks for helping us finish most of our liquor and talking about real life stuff.

Iím sure thereís a lot more that Iím missing. It was a fantastic time with lots fo great memories. I look forward seeing everyone again next year.

Paul

Nfxon
08-04-2015, 09:50 AM
UFS needs more Pauly B.
Thats all I'm gonna say! Always good seeing you man.

dutpotd
08-04-2015, 01:17 PM
Thank you for the shout out Paul, I think you know you can always count on me to help you get something together for worlds or any other event if you start making UFS a bigger part of your life ever again.

Thank you for letting me relive some of my most memorable UFS feelings ever with a semi finals rematch vs. you this year (the original match being in 2009). It wasn't the same of course, but it was the same in the sense I had the luxury of playing against one of, if not, the best UFS players ever to play the game.

Was a joy to team with you, and a joy hanging with you, I'm sure we will be in touch but take care and give my best to Eric, Matt, and Jon whenever you see them in the coming year - I am always wishing it was Gencon and that I am spending time with you guys.

'Caz Simon
08-04-2015, 09:29 PM
Paul, our match was the most memorable set I played all weekend. After all the stories I hear, I feel like I got to finally see the player that everyone speaks so highly of, and it was an absolute pleasure to play and hang out. Surreal even, like meeting a celebrity in our small community circle.

I'm looking forward to seeing you again next year in some capacity, whether you're playing or just at the bar.

tannerface26
08-04-2015, 11:17 PM
It was good to see you guys again and sorry about my phone waking you up at 6am, you can blame your loss to Garett on it if it helps lol.
Also my last name is actually Jamros now after my grandfather.

ATLPiglet
08-05-2015, 12:29 PM
Cigars with Paul Bittner is the best! UFS House is still OP! Much Love Paul!