PDA

View Full Version : Favorite video game series?

TenshiWingMagatama
01-01-2016, 09:58 PM
Just curious about something. What are you guys' favorite video game series?

Onslaught
01-02-2016, 10:00 AM
Aside from fighting games (which I've never been stellar at but enjoy nonetheless), I'm a huge fan of the Silent Hill series. Granted the last couple games have been pretty mediocre, but when the series was firing on all cyclinders (2 and 3 basically), the series was great. The atmoshphere and horror were top notch. Fallout is a personal favorite too, just fr sheer expansiveness. I love that feeling of exploration and not being sure what is around the next corner.

TenshiWingMagatama
01-02-2016, 09:46 PM
I like RPGs and action games, myself. Only experience I've had with Silent Hill is with a demo of 4 and I never really got into Fallout. My tastes tend to lean more towards the niche stuff.

Onslaught
01-03-2016, 01:59 PM
I like RPGs and action games, myself. Only experience I've had with Silent Hill is with a demo of 4 and I never really got into Fallout. My tastes tend to lean more towards the niche stuff.

You may like Fallout if you're into RPG's. I mean it basically is an RPG in that it has most of the elements of one (expansive story, a "leveling up" system, open world, side quests, finding newer and better gear, etc...etc). But if you have only played JRPG's or the like, then yes it has a much different feel to it.

BTW Silent Hill 4 was terrible and not even really an SE game. In fact it was conceived as a totally separate title and essentially remade into a Silent Hill game by shoehorning some of the thematic elements of the series into it. It's not a good choice to judge the series by. If you can play 2 or 3 in HD do so.

TenshiWingMagatama
01-03-2016, 07:26 PM
You may like Fallout if you're into RPG's. I mean it basically is an RPG in that it has most of the elements of one (expansive story, a "leveling up" system, open world, side quests, finding newer and better gear, etc...etc). But if you have only played JRPG's or the like, then yes it has a much different feel to it.

BTW Silent Hill 4 was terrible and not even really an SE game. In fact it was conceived as a totally separate title and essentially remade into a Silent Hill game by shoehorning some of the thematic elements of the series into it. It's not a good choice to judge the series by. If you can play 2 or 3 in HD do so.

It definitely appears to be vastly different compared to what I play. Always leaned more towards JRPGs since childhood exposure to Final Fantasy VII and VIII and Legend of Dragoon.

I didn't know that much about SH4. But it sounds pretty believable. Honestly, I don't really engage a whole lot in survival-horror in general so I don't know much about what's good in that genre.

Drewkasa
01-06-2016, 09:28 PM
There are quite a few series I like very much, but so I don't droll on too long I'll list only 5.
1. Suikoden
2. Shin Megami Tensei (includes Persona, traditional numbered titles and the like).
3. Mother
4. Yakuza
5. Phoenix Wright

Honorable mentions to Fire Emblem, Tales, Metal Gear Solid and Tactics ogre/Ogre Battle

TenshiWingMagatama
01-07-2016, 10:07 AM
Nice! A fellow SMT fan!

dutpotd
01-21-2016, 11:14 AM
There are quite a few series I like very much, but so I don't droll on too long I'll list only 5.
1. Suikoden
2. Shin Megami Tensei (includes Persona, traditional numbered titles and the like).
3. Mother
4. Yakuza
5. Phoenix Wright

Honorable mentions to Fire Emblem, Tales, Metal Gear Solid and Tactics ogre/Ogre Battle

Mine is similar but not as entrenched in the Japanese day-to-day.

1. Phoenix Wright
1a. Most any Capcom fighter - CVS2 > MVC1 > rest of em.
2. SMT - Perona > Devil Survivor > rest of em.
2a. Sora no kiseki
3. Zero Escape
4. Mother
5. Most any quality schmup

ICWhatUDidThar
01-21-2016, 12:00 PM
In no particular order:
1. Fire Emblem series
2. Final fantasy V/Bravely Default
3. Splatoon
4. Capcom fighters (I wish I was decent at any of them)
5. Main Pokemon series

Onslaught
01-21-2016, 03:41 PM
Mine is similar but not as entrenched in the Japanese day-to-day.

1. Phoenix Wright
1a. Most any Capcom fighter - CVS2 > MVC1 > rest of em.
2. SMT - Perona > Devil Survivor > rest of em.
2a. Sora no kiseki
3. Zero Escape
4. Mother
5. Most any quality schmup

Capcom versus SNK 2 is pretty much my favorite fighting game of all time.

Star Lord
01-21-2016, 03:49 PM
I'm gonna go totally mainstream here and say either Elder Scrolls or Zelda

TenshiWingMagatama
01-21-2016, 10:23 PM
Capcom versus SNK 2 is pretty much my favorite fighting game of all time.

CVS2 is awesome. Definitely one of Capcom's best works.

TheLiontamer
01-23-2016, 01:58 AM
CVS2 is the one I've spent the most time trying to get good at. It was the first time I sat down and said "How do you actually play this fighting game stuff?" And my friend and his EVO group trained me. So it has special place.

Next would be Pokemon, FF:Tactics, and Star Was Rogue Squadon 1 and 2.

Shaneth
01-23-2016, 08:14 PM
My favorite video game of all time is Persona 4 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Megami_Tensei:_Persona_4).

During the outbreak of swine flu in the United States, I am pretty sure I contracted the H1N1 virus. I was reduced to a vegetable, robbed of all my energy and bedridden for two weeks. I didn't have the best medical attention. Besides sleeping, all I could do was lay down and play video games wearing sunglasses with the lights off.

The video game I played during this hardship was Persona 4. In summary, it is sort of like a simulator-RPG. You control the protagonist, and you follow a calendar where you can spend time with friends to raise social links, work at a job, enter the dungeon and level up, basically whatever you want. The game offered a lot of freedom, and the story/character development was top notch. When I had finished Persona 4 and got the True Ending, I immediately started crying because the journey I enjoyed so much had just concluded.

Persona 4 had impacted me like no other video game. I wished so hard that I could one day live in a world where I had many friends who lived in the same place. We could all meet up, have fun, solve mysteries together, and push each other to become better individuals.

That wish came true when I moved to Las Vegas.

I feel that both UFS and Persona 4 granted my dying wish, and gave me a new life where I can actually be the hero of my story and make a difference in the world.

---

Other favorite video games, I'll pick two for each system I owned.

NES:
Final Fantasy
Dragon Warrior II

SNES:
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World

Gameboy:
Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Trading Card Game

Gameboy Advance:
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Final Fantasy VI Advance

N64:
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber

Gamecube:
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Tales of Symphonia

Wii:
Smash Bros: Project M
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

DS:
Pokemon Platinum
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

3DS:
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Shin Megami Tensei IV

Playstation: (too many to list as this was the golden age of RPG gaming)
Chrono Cross
Valkyrie Profile

Playstation 2: (also too many to list)
Final Fantasy X
Kingdom Hearts

Playstation 3:
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (best hit detection, every gun was broken)

PSP:
Brave Story: New Traveler
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7

Xbox 360:
Infinite Undiscovery
Borderlands 2

Star Lord
01-24-2016, 01:01 AM
I freaking love Golden Sun

Neptonianpoker4
01-24-2016, 01:36 AM
Kingdom Hearts forever my love

TenshiWingMagatama
01-24-2016, 12:40 PM
My favorite video game of all time is Persona 4 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Megami_Tensei:_Persona_4).

During the outbreak of swine flu in the United States, I am pretty sure I contracted the H1N1 virus. I was reduced to a vegetable, robbed of all my energy and bedridden for two weeks. I didn't have the best medical attention. Besides sleeping, all I could do was lay down and play video games wearing sunglasses with the lights off.

The video game I played during this hardship was Persona 4. In summary, it is sort of like a simulator-RPG. You control the protagonist, and you follow a calendar where you can spend time with friends to raise social links, work at a job, enter the dungeon and level up, basically whatever you want. The game offered a lot of freedom, and the story/character development was top notch. When I had finished Persona 4 and got the True Ending, I immediately started crying because the journey I enjoyed so much had just concluded.

Persona 4 had impacted me like no other video game. I wished so hard that I could one day live in a world where I had many friends who lived in the same place. We could all meet up, have fun, solve mysteries together, and push each other to become better individuals.

That wish came true when I moved to Las Vegas.

I feel that both UFS and Persona 4 granted my dying wish, and gave me a new life where I can actually be the hero of my story and make a difference in the world.

---

Other favorite video games, I'll pick two for each system I owned.

NES:
Final Fantasy
Dragon Warrior II

SNES:
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World

Gameboy:
Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Trading Card Game

Gameboy Advance:
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Final Fantasy VI Advance

N64:
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber

Gamecube:
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Tales of Symphonia

Wii:
Smash Bros: Project M
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

DS:
Pokemon Platinum
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

3DS:
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Shin Megami Tensei IV

Playstation: (too many to list as this was the golden age of RPG gaming)
Chrono Cross
Valkyrie Profile

Playstation 2: (also too many to list)
Final Fantasy X
Kingdom Hearts

Playstation 3:
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (best hit detection, every gun was broken)

PSP:
Brave Story: New Traveler
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7

Xbox 360:
Infinite Undiscovery
Borderlands 2

Persona 4 is indeed an amazing game. Perhaps the best RPG ever made. Never really knew a whole lot about the swine flu outbreak, by the way. It's great that you were able to recover.

Greys0nJay
04-06-2017, 08:58 AM
I love NFS series, my fav is Most Wanted