PDA

View Full Version : Snakes on a plane to Atlanta (8th place Snake Man on Chaos)

Neptonianpoker4
10-21-2016, 12:28 AM
Going into this event, I was in a very familiar position. Just like worlds I was trying to decided which of my two decks to play for singles: Felicia or Snake Man. For teams, my team agreed that I would play Felicia just because through testing she had an easier time against Napalm Man than Snake Man did. But I decided to bring to Atlanta anyway, just incase the field was crushing Felicia and wanted to change to at 6 hander.
As I feared, Felicia just got wrecked in teams. When losing the die roll, the opposing team would just put their most agro decks against her and just punished me for playing a 7 hander not named Turbo Man. I instantly decided to play Snake Man, hoping the extra 7 health would help through this agro turn 2 meta. I was also 99% sure I wouldn’t have to worry about anyone else playing Snake Man for the diversity battle. I was wrong.

Attacks (17)
4x Magnet Slam
4x 108-Shiki Yamibarai
3x Ura 121-Shiki Ama-No-Murakumo
2x Jiraishin
1x Skull Barrier
1x Hyper Bomb
1x Spine Sweep
1x Search Snake

Foundations (42)
4x Samurai Robotto
4x The Wall of Goro
4x Designed for Combat
4x Balance Fighter
4x Hunters Once More
4x Strength of Tail
3x Reactive Style
2x Powerful Assassin
2x Ever Hopeful
2x Agile
2x Surveyor
2x The Hunt for Spiders and Dragons
1x A World Unprepared
1x Utaku Hater
1x Determination
1x Remembrance
1x A Lesson in Magic

Assets (5)
3x Kyo’s Jacket
2x Sweet Baby Challenge

Action (1)
Out of Your League

Side (8)
2x Equinox
1x Out of Your League
1x Hyper Bomb
1x Spine Sweep
1x The Golden Ticket
1x Fighting as One
1x Skull Barrier

A little bit about the deck. The deck is more built for control and grind than it is for aggressiveness. I opted to hold my Yamibarais and Jiraishins for blocks rather than using them for attacks. I wanted the breakers to stop my opponent turn 2 “poke”. Most games I wouldn’t attack turn 2 unless I pulled a Murakumo that I wanted to put away and there was another attack I wanted from my discard pile (Yamibarai, Jiraishin, Skull Barrier, Murakumo). I used Skull Barrier almost every turn to stop kill turns, as most people would decide not to block it ever. Being able to loop it with Snake Man’s response ability made me very comfortable going into my opponents turn.
My foundations were key in getting the upper hand early. I used Ever Hopeful whenever I saw a high or no block foundation on their staging area, since it would be completely useless in their hand. Koppukens and Scorns were also not safe with the combination of Ever Hopeful and The Hunt for Spiders and Dragons. Powerful Assassin and Balanced Fighter were used for speed hate and hand advantage. Picking up Agile or Hunt to block was always a gift. Remembrance for reversals, Otaku Hater for Stun, and Determination and The Wall of Goro for damage reduction. Hunters Once More, Strength of Tail, and Reactive Style helped for momentum control and Kyo’s Jacket response for targeted committal.
My side I used every match. The second Skull Barrier, MVP of the deck, would go in every game. The Out of Your League and Fighting as One were for Revoke decks. Hyper Bomb and Spine Sweep would be switched in back and forth for tech; against assets, Spine Sweep would replace my main board Hyper Bomb and against higher health, better built characters I did the opposite. The Golden Ticket was to fight against Hannya Decks, though I never ended up seeing any of those.

Round 1 (Joe Horth: Good Ryu)
Instantly rewarded for not playing Felicia. I play Joe during teams the day before and he just obliterated me. I’m pretty sure after the game ended he thought I was just another Vegas scrub being carried by Chris Pratt, the Vegas playgroup’s Jesus. The match went three games. Game one I caught him off guard with the Skull Barrier Loop. Then when he only need one more attack to kill me, I would breaker him so he couldn’t pass the even with the stack. Left me at 1 so I could Murakumo him on my turn. He got game two. Game 3, I had a Murakumo along with a Magnet Slam and Hyperbomb with four foundations and Snake Man up. Joe had few foundations up so I really wanted to play Hyperbomb to stun him out. However, I wasn’t in desperation and knew if I checked an attack to play it, it would probably cut my turn short. After debating with myself, I opted into play Magnet Slam instead. Checked a two. The attack went through, but now I needed to not check a four to play Murakumo so Snake Man will be up. Checked a five and ended the game.
(1-0-0)

Round 2 (Matt Childress: All Ryu)
At this point, I figured I was just going to play against all 6 of the Ryu’s in the tournament. But I knew if I just played to the same blueprint I drew out in the first round, this match shouldn’t be a problem. I got the jump early on defense, as I breaker/skull barriered him into my turn. Got lucky enough to see one of my Murakumo’s early and he wasn’t prepared to block a multiple 4 that early. Game two went his way. He got all of his pieces (Entensels, Pick on Someone.., Flying Yamata Spear) and was able to wreck me very quick. Game three came to the wire. I was able to get around what seemed like his kill turn early with my skull barriers. Going into my turn I pulled enough orange to put up a kill turn of my own. At 4 left, he had 3 foundations, one being champion of mauy thai, and his Ryu up with three cards in hand and one in the cardpool. My last attack was a Magnet Slam and I had an Ever Hopeful down. This was where I had to make a decision. I could either A), give him the Champ, assuming he already had a low block in his hand so he would have to check a 5 to block my attack after I stunned him. Or B) give him a no block, hoping he didn’t have low block in his hand but if he did, he could reduce the speed to 1 for a block he couldn’t miss. Since he had 3 cards in his hand, I figured he probably had a block for it already, so I gave him the champ and blocked with it and passed the check. To make matters worse, he didn’t have a low block in his hand. Time was called and he couldn’t pull anything during his turn. As much as I hated myself for that, I still think it was the right decision. After the match I heard there was another Snake Man player in the tournament, Abi Jones, and she was 2-0.
(1-0-1)

Round 3 (Mason Schmidt: Life Mai)
This match up was probably the one I had least trouble with. It was on life so obviously I was going to see Revokes, HRKs, and possible Scorned Beauty, but that didn’t really become an issue. Game one, was a bit of a grind for me. He pulled the double asset dream in Grandmother’s Hairpin and Team Woman Fighters, so he had targeted committal and more speed boost. And even though Mason wasn’t really hitting me for much, he would always gain back any damage he lost. So I figured just hit him for small damage attacks to build momentum and hold my high blocks for HRKs/Kersplats until I could calculate a lethal Murakumo. Game 2, Mason was a lot more aggressive. I sided in my second Spine Sweep to deal with his assets but he swung in with HRK and Kersplat early and putting me into desperation quickly. He had me on the ropes, but I was able to see my kill condition and swung in when it was lethal.
(2-0-1)

Round 4 (Timothy Friedlieb: Void Metal Man)
Unfortunately, I was bound to face another Vegas player in Singles. Tim was doing very well for himself. At 3-0, he was the top seeded Vegas player currently. Knowing that Abi was 3-0, I need this win. Game 1 came too easy. Tim barely saw any attacks or and never found Revokes. I blocked anything he sent out, usually a Top Spin for hand advantage, so he couldn’t loop his attacks. He used 8000 Degrees to minimize the damage of my attacks, but they were still going to momentum so I built it up pretty quick. Once I counted 3 Revokes in his discard pile, I swung in for the win. For Game 2, I sided in all of my Revoke hate and saw them early. I played Fighting as One turn 1, and formed it up later and hid an Out of Your league in my momentum turn two. This game, Tim actually saw attacks and transforms so he put damage on me. But again, he wasn’t really blocking any of my attacks so I stacked my momentum. Most turns, he would hold 3 or 4 cards in his hand so I had to assume he had the double Revoke. On my kill turn, I poked to get Out of Your League to my hand and played Murakumo. As I predicted, he Revoked my multiple enhance, I countered with Fighting As One, he Revoked again, and I cancelled with Out of Your League. Since both of my cards cancelled Revoke, they wouldn’t get removed from the game and instead would just sit in his card pool. At that point, Tim wasn’t blocking anything.
(3-0-1)

Round 5 (Rodney Garland: Air Rikuo)
Finally, a deck without Revokes! To his credit, Rodney is an extremely smart player and great deck build. But since I didn’t have to worry about having Revoke hate, I figured I would have a much easier time with this match up. Though Game 1, my deck dropped a deuce. I never saw any attacks and he pretty much got whatever he wanted. I thought maybe playing my blocks with breakers would slow him down. But since they were all mid blocks, Tengu Dives would just loop from his hand, to his card pool, to his momentum and repeat. He wiped the floor with me. Game 2, we traded our lucks. I saw Murakumo early and hid it in my momentum until I could kill him. I got more attacks, better defensive cards, and was able to hold him off because he pulled no attacks. Down the wire, I had a few attacks in my hand. After checked for Jiraishin, I had one card left in my deck before cycling. After looking through my discard pile, Rodney could tell there was at least 1 Murakumo missing. That meant there was only 2 places it could be: either in my momentum, or the last card in my deck. Since Jiraishin lets me block if I draw, I was going to get the Murakumo if he decided not to take the attack. As I said before Rodney is a smart player. He told me that I could pump the Jiraishin as much as I wanted he wasn’t going to block it. If Murakumo was already in my momentum I’m going to kill him regardless, but he wasn’t going to let me draw it if it wasn’t. So it hit, and I pulled the Murakumo out my momentum for game. With 4 minutes to go we called it a draw.
(3-0-2)

Round 6 (James Stephens: Life Yuri)
I knew that every game from now on had to be a win so I could fight off diversity. But of course I would not only another Revoke deck, but also another HRK deck. Game one was a slaughter. I tried to hard to push attacks through, but he would just gain all of his health back and pull an HRK or Templar to his hand during my turn. He would only ever block with HRK so I could never multiple, and it was only a matter of time before his throws would kill me. Game 2 was a complete 180. He never saw his throws, so he couldn’t gain symbols to sculpted his hand. I sided my Revoke hate in, and just wrecked him with multiples. Game 3 was a grind. I decided just to poke him once per turn so he couldn’t dig with Yuri’s response. He let everything go through so I piled up a sizeable amount of momentum. On what I thought was going to be my kill turn, I made the mistake of playing a second attack before Murakumo and he fished out an HRK. So I had to cut it short, hoping he would give me a second chance to kill him. He tried swinging in with HRK his next turn and I blocked it. Back on my turn, I pulled a Magnet Slam and Jiraishin to go along with my Murakumo. I decided to swing Magnet Slam instead of Jiraishin, thinking James would waste his resources trying to block the last multiples and not except another attack. Plus he couldn’t it with HRK. I counted the number of revokes and played Murakumo. As a predicted, I spent everything on the last few attacks and I was able to send the Jiraishin at him for lethal with no cards in his hand.
(4-0-2)

Round 7 (Keenan Meadows: Life Demitri)
Win and I am in. That is all I was thinking about before the pairing. I played against Keenan the day before in teams so I knew what I was up against. But come on… another Revoke deck? I would be lying if I said I didn’t have butterflies. To make matters worse, Abi, the other Snake Man player, was at the table next to us playing. The last thing I wanted was to watch her win, while I potentially lose. Though thank the UFS gods, she was playing against my teammate, Sam Tate, who has seen many-a-Snake Man playing against me. Anyway game 1 was I cried. I pulled 0 attacks, I didn’t even get a chance to hit him, and I got quickly destroyed by back-to-back Necro Drivers with multiples. Game 2 was a little better, but I was starting to feel the pressure. He was gaining so much health it was hard to put together a kill turn. My second misplay of the tournament almost cost me a top 16 berth. I hid an Out of Your League in my momentum early, but I forgot where I put it. On what need to be my kill turn, had one in my hand already and my Murakumo but I feared he had the double Revoke. When I went to go fish for the second Out of Your League, I missed fired. I knew I would die the next turn so I had to play it and hope that he didn’t have the double Revoke in his hand. He did. I cry every time… He killed me with the double Death Blow the next turn for my first and only loss of swiss.
(4-1-2)

At this point, I could hardly think. I was so disappointed at myself for how I played that last match. I need Sam to beat Abi and I knew he already lost game one to her. Since she asked me not to watch, I nervously sat outside the tournament hall next to Brett Hillman, who was trying to get me to relax. Once he told me that Sam sided into Dave Wagner in their game three, I thought my nightmares were coming true. But minutes later, Brett told me Sam had won and I instantly had to go find him for a hug.

Top 16 (Ain Naghepour: Fire Nehtali)
Getting the 12th seed after swiss, I faced the 5th seed in the top 16 round. This was probably a match that I shouldn’t have wanted. I knew I would have to play around the Dragon Flares that would burn me to death if I had too much momentum, but it wasn’t a super agro deck. I decided I wasn’t ever let myself have more than 2 momentum going into his turn. If I ever needed more I could always Strength of Tail during my turn and/or respond with Kyo’s Jacket. Game 1 and 2 were relatively the same and both really quick games. Game 1, he didn’t end up seeing Dragon Flare but was still able to hit me with huge attacks. But I was able to hit him with a few of my own which made a Search Snake Lethal after a Magnet Slam opened him up. Game 2, I was winning the build battle so Ain decided to Self Destruct. His next turn, he opened with a Chasm Buster and check a 3 so he had to commit out. I was save from a Nehtali form that turn. After building a few, the turn passed to me and I pulled 3 attacks with a Search Snake. I had check running 5s but it killed him.
(5-1-2)

Top 8 (Matt Childress: All Ryu)
This was honestly the top 8 match I wanted. I let Matt get away from me round 2 when I had the match, so I knew I could win. But it wasn’t even close. Game 1, I didn’t ever see any attacks and he pulled everything he needed. Game 2, I failed my second foundation by checked a 2 and preceded check my other 2s later that game; I couldn’t get anything going at all. After he hard checked into a Pick on Someone Your Own Size, I knew it was over.
(5-2-2)

Final Thoughts and Shout Outs
This tournament definitely confirmed what I was afraid of, which was that UFS is moving towards a much faster pace of Meta. All the more reason for me to be proud of myself for playing a control centric deck. Getting into top 8, made me feel like I am getting close to where I want to be and only steps away from that highly sought out character card. I know that is not the case and I need to continue to work on my game. I hope one day I can get there.
Shout outs to the Las Vegas play group for an excellent show. Ryan McClain, Tim Friedlieb, Kyle DeBray, Brandon Jones, and Brett Hillmann topped in teams and Tim, Sam Tate, and I topped in singles (I’m sorry Chris Pratt). Shout Out to Tim for orchestrating our flights and hotel rooms for cheap. Shout Out to Abi Jones for playing Snake Man and doing it extremely well. You had me scared for my life and I look forward to more diversity battles with you. Shout Out to Rodney Garland, Clint Badger, and Alex Marco for winning teams; I can’t wait to “peep that” using your asset or foundation. Shout Out to Phil Birch for winning another singles event. Huge Shout Out to Dave Wagner for putting the Evil symbol on his Character card. And the Hugest Shout Out to my buddy Sam Tate, who saved me from getting diversified, by playing as Dave Wagner and using Revoke.

sh0ryu_repp4
10-21-2016, 04:20 PM
Congrats on Top 8!

TheLiontamer
10-21-2016, 05:47 PM
Once he told me that Sam sided into Dave Wagner in their game three, I thought my nightmares were coming true.

I don't know what the nightmare was, that you thought Dave Wagoner auto loses to snake man, or that siding Dave Wagoner was actually the best play to make <3

Neptonianpoker4
10-21-2016, 06:22 PM
You went from napalm man, to a 7 hander. But hey you proved me wrong.

TheLiontamer
10-21-2016, 11:46 PM
You went from napalm man, to a 7 hander. But hey you proved me wrong.

She was playing around napalm man correctly and the match was pretty 50/50 until she responded with hunt for spiders and I was immediately able to back swing. But yeah I don't think I sided out of napalm man except that match lol. Also no void low blocks for the revoke chain :3

generalreaction2.0
10-23-2016, 08:27 PM
I remember playing you in teams :D Congrats on your top 8.

Star Lord
10-24-2016, 10:24 PM
woohoo I'm Jesus