PDA

View Full Version : UFS UK Nationals Singles report 2016

Nemesis
11-28-2016, 12:40 PM
A few weeks prior to UK nationals I was going through a phase of playing various decks to see which I felt the most comfortable with from Death Khadath to All Turbo Man to Void Lilith all of the decks did well but I still was not feeling that comfortable with them as they would either check poorly or draw hands which would be difficult to work with. So a few people in my play group suggested that I go back to an old faithful which has served me well in the past. And that character was Vincent Grey I played him for the 1st UK PTC in Sheffield and it went into the top 4 so I knew how the character worked and what was his good and bad match ups were.

As a character I think is really good in this format as he can disrupt the fast aggro decks with R ability and his E ability helps to make big attacks bigger which the faster decks have trouble dealing with. I am really sad to see the character go as I really enjoyed playing as him but I am hoping that I will have as much success with the new Vincent Grey.

http://ufsultra.com/deck.php?deck=iScnyMlIHNHibujAiFQXErhGSEtkSF

Here is the deck list that I decided to play for the say there are some cards that not normally played and there are also some cards missing that other Vincent Grey decks have played but with the US and the UK meta being somewhat similar there was no guarantee that the decks that would be here would the same as there US counterparts.

Round 1 vs Grant - Nehtali

Game 1

- Vincent does have a lot of trouble against Nehtali has his R is pretty much redundant as she can play Dragonflare's for free as an when she wants to. I won the dice roll and got a 4 foundation start which was ok but on Grant's 1st turn he played a Flash Lightning then used Nehtali's E to search for a Dragonflare which he got he then builds a Pennant Guard and 2 foundations then plays the Dragonflare knocking me to 18 in his 1st turn. I then attempt to go for an aggro turn which was not enough as he drew Chasm Buster , Cataclysm Beam and another Dragonflare which was enough for the game.

Game 2

- I sided in Homemade Explosives to try and destroy the Pennant Guards as soon as they came in, I managed a 5 foundation turn 1 then Grant played 4 then I drew into 2x Death Valley face Plants 1x Magnet Slam 1x Jealousy and Fake 1x Golden Ticket and a Peace Interupted so I went for an aggro turn annoyingly I kind of over extended as I was easily picked apart by Chasm Buster and Robot Masters and a Dragonflare knocking me down 7. Then on the following turn I drew 6 foundations which was not helpful in the slightest I then get 2x Chasm Buster into a Dragonflare for the game and the match.

Round 2 - Nathan Doddsworth - Dave Wagoner

Game 1

- I have played against Dave Wagoner decks before as other characters and they did occasionally go toe to toe with it but I knew Vincent could hit hard enough to favour me in the match up. I managed to get a good board presence buy getting answers to his stun and his speed boosts and my turn 4 I manage to play Death Valley Face Plant for 10 dmg then into a Magnet Slam for 8 into a Spinning Necro Driver for the game.

Game 2

- Now normally whenever I have played against a Dave Wagoner deck and I have gone 2nd then I would more than likely be KO'd on turn 2 or 3 but I knew that he could not do it as Vincent is in my opinion a good counter to Dave Wagoner. I did get a slow start but after a bit of unlucky checking from Nathan I was able to draw into 2x Death Valley Face Plants and a Head Crush for the game.

Round 3 - Samantha - Tomahawk Man

I have played against Samantha's Tomahawk Man deck a lot and more often than not I manage to come up short as Tomahawk Man is a good counter to Vincent.

Game 1

- Annoyingly its difficult to play around to Tomahawk Man's effects so I went to play as many foundations as I could in 3 turns then decide to attack on the 4th turn but that was hard to do what with Tomahawk Man's R with Silver Tomahawk and Tenshi Gaichi abuse and Skull Barrier for the defence I was not able to built much board presence a nd I lost to Feather Shot multiple 2.

Game 2

- I decided to play more cautious this game as I knew that if I got enough answers to Tomahawk Man's stun then I could throw more damage back in the back swing which is how it worked out for me as I got some good reversal damage then used Death Valley Face Plants and Spinning Necro Drivers to hit for big damage too which was enough for the game.

Game 3

- I knew that Sam would go for the early aggro with Silver Tomahawk and Jirashin but luckily I had a low block and a reversal in my hand which hit for 7 damage which helped as I had a Spinning Necro Driver in my hand and I was able to get a Clark' Sun Glasses out really early which really hindered Tomahawk Man's stun which then gave me a window for make a counter attack which gave me the match.

Really fun games though.

Round 4 - Jordan - Sie

I remember Jordan playing this deck at the Doncaster PTC but that was pre-Battle for Power so it now included Tengu Dive, Tornado Hold and Scorch Wheel. I had seen this deck for a few seconds in the previous round and it scared the crap out of me. So when I found out I was playing against it I felt a bit nervous going into the match but it then sunk in that for all of the good checks in the deck there are that many bad ones too which could play into my somewhat advantage with Vincent's R.

Game 1

- This was over fairly quickly as I get wrecked by 2 Scorch Wheel and a Tengu into a No Mai on turn 2.

Game 2

- Right, from knowing how was this deck was I knew I had to get enough speed manipulation out to stop his speed boosts from Sie which helped me hold off No Mai into Tengu Dive into Pharaoh Shot into No Mai. And from surviving that onslaught I managed to pull of a victorious back swing with Death Valley Face Plant into Head Crush picking up a Magnet Slam then after the Head Crush playing a Super Drop Kick then getting an 11 damage Magnet Slam when he had a Templar in his hand.

Game 3

- This is were it got real as Sie was starting and I knew that Jordan was going all out but luckily for me Jordan check some of his 1 checks early which allowed me to potentially take the game early but on my next turn I drew no attacks which was very annoying so I built what I deemed safe as I kept my best blocks in my hand. Then he threw out attacks which were to fast for me to block and buy turn 4 I was on 8 then I manage to chip away at his vitality through some lucky checks on my part and some bad on his. It got a point were if he drew an attack and used Sie's E then it was over for me as I needed to keep my blocks in my hand. So after turn 5 I was on 4 vitality and Sie was on 11. I then drew a hand of 3 attacks which I was able to pass but had to commit too much into getting them through and at this point I thought that I was going to lose in next turn. He plays a Scorch Wheel and checks a 1 re-check then passes it I then tap out to block it he then reveals another Tengu Dive which he checks a 2 causing him to fail the check by 1. On the next turn I was then able to draw enough attacks to take the game and the match.

This match scared the hell out of me but I could take a breath and get ready for the 5th and final round.

Round - 5 - Lee - Lilith

As everyone from the UK knows I played Lilith at UK Nats in 2015 so I knew how she worked through and through.

Game 1

- I knew Lee was experienced with the deck he has been playing it for nearly 6 months so needed to find a way to get the game early but that did not happen when he built 3 Merry on his 1st turn then proceeded to play attacks on his 3rd turn which I could not block any of them.

Game 2

- I sided my 3rd Give me your Best shot and my 2nd Jealousy and Fake which I knew hurts Lilith a lot as she can't recur her attacks which allowed me to control the pace of the game with help from Spinning Necro Driver's and Head Crush.

Game 3

- I started really slow as I only managed 3 foundations turn 1 then was on the defence as Lilith's turn consisted off 2 Etincelles and 2 Merry Turn which did not tickle in the slightest but from this Lilith could only get +2 speed on her attacks from then on which helped me hold her back long enough for me to take the game and the match.

So after all of the swiss rounds I was 4 - 1 which pretty much meant that I had top 8'd.

I knew that whatever happened I would not be angry or upset as Vincent Grey had gotten me to my 2nd UFS UK Nationals top 8.

Top 8

VS - Dave - Eva..

I had heard through out the day about the Eva and how strong the deck is so I knew I was in for a good match.

Game 1

- Eva manages to out build Vincent fairly easily which did not help me but I was able to get some good hits but Eva was drawing cards while I was attacking which then gave Eva more cards to hit me with on the back swing which I could hold of some but no all of it. But then I drew a hand of foundations which was kind of crappy as he was on 5 and I knew I was going to KO'd next turn so I just prepared for the worst which then the blocks didn't help.

Game 2

- I manage to open 5 foundations then Eva checked a 1 on a 3 difficulty foundation which allowed me too make the most of his poor check and then soon after take the game.

Game 3

- This game went on for about 40 minutes which I reminiscent of last year but I did not have a problem with that, but between Me and Dave we had turns were we needed to get attacks to get enough damage through but we could not get enough damage through until Dave from 1 card from my reversal which gave him his last attack which gave him the game and the match.

So after losing in top 8 people said that I should play Vincent Grey for teams but as well as he did I was not really comfortable with playing him for teams as I already had a teams deck which Me and a few guys had built especially for teams.

Pros-

Seeing all the guys from the north
Having some great games over the day
Round 3

Cons

No rematch with Garett
Saturday evening
Round 3

I will hopefully do my teams results soon after today..

dutpotd
11-28-2016, 01:43 PM
Cons

No rematch with Garett
Saturday evening

Aren't these the same cons? Had I been there Saturday evening would have been a blast!~

On a more serious note, great report and I wish I had been there to see some or all of this live :)