PDA

View Full Version : training decks

Loon
09-20-2010, 06:37 PM
Since there's a so little UFS talk going on right now that we're all talking magic, and since the fate of the game hinges on getting new people to play, I figured I'd ask how we can go about doing just that.

Specifically, I want to know what you start with (do you have people playing Es on their first attacks, etc?), what decks you use and what mecahnics you maybe shy away from. Are you satisfied with the current demo decks?

Do you have/ carry any decks for this purpose?

Hatman
09-20-2010, 07:18 PM
My deckbox is too small and my decks are nigh incomprehensible, so no.

However, I'll make myself available to explain advanced card interactions that aren't exactly written.

Shinguyi
09-20-2010, 07:43 PM
For starters, the decks are only focused on non-control cards and only uses Attacks and Foundations. That has worked so far over at the store I go to. Then little by little I present them the Assets and the Actions.

When playing against new players, I don't use the effects of foundations and only one ability of the character card and sometimes not block or block partially on purpose. After a few games I start activating more abilities so they get used to what to expect in a game.

So far that has worked wonders and gets peopel motivated. Most of the times I end up losing but that's the purpose.

Birch
09-20-2010, 07:46 PM
I carry a very easy to understand deck with plenty of blocks, thats mitsu. But to start out dont try and over explai. break it down in steps. No one wants to play in a cluster F. Start with basic charecter traits, Handsize vitality resources etc. Then move to control and difficulty/progressive difficulty. Finally just play a quick game to explain blocking, zones, dmg, and speed. After they understand easy concepts moving on to E F and R abilities might be easier, also try a game with just Grey and Orange, they dont need to understand assets and actions right away. Ive listened to people try to explain it all at once to someone else and it just pisses me off "Scared another person away" thats what goes thru my mind. One of our everyday players does that in every game he explains.

JinKazama
09-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Everybody here is right start orange/grey. When I teach people I don't use abilities just drill the concept of control checks, attacking, and blocking(zone /speed/ block mod) as they're the basis of the game, then move on to symbol chaining the other abilities just add to it.

All I can say is starter decks are not what you wanna teach someone with. Our starters should be more themed like yugioh. ( yugioh did something right besides marketing)
Neither is a pre constructed competitive deck, although still better than a starter.
The easiest people to teach are the ones the game was meant for, Players of other card games ( no yugioh does not count ).
Players of other card games have the ability to learn multiple concepts at one time.

SMazzurco
09-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Also making decks that are not standard may help due to characters.
Like a ken vs ryu set of demo decks for example may catch peoples' eye.

RockStar
09-21-2010, 11:16 AM
If you have'em: The Ryu vs Akuma BP is a great way to teach new players.