PDA

View Full Version : My take on Madoka Characters (Probably Spoilers)

dracomageat
12-30-2016, 07:06 PM
So I finally watched the show recently and I was a little bit inspired. I'm not too happy with the title character but I feel the rest came out well.

•Homura•
6/6 +0M
Character
[Order][Water][Void]
Hand: 5
Vit: 21
R: After you ready this character, return the game to its state at the start of your last combat phase, with the exception of any cards removed from the game. Your opponent draws 2 cards and may choose to add them to their momentum or staging area.

So this one's a very basic translation of Homura's powers, with the web of fate they create represented by the additional resources available to your opponent. It's time limited to reduce potential memory issues and doesn't touch the RFG zone because that's Homura's resource. She is intended to delve further into Iori's "use removed cards without moving them" motif as an analogue to her in-show hammerspace.
Her low stats both help keep this ridiculous ability in check and are analogous to how weak and inexperienced she iss when we first see flashbacks to her backstory.

••Homura•• (May onwards)
6/6 +0M
Character
[Evil][Order][Void]
Vit: 23
When paying the cost of a powerful ability, you may use cards from your hand instead of your momentum. If you do, remove those cards from the game.

While the single dot version represents Homura as she was in the series, this one is her as we see her in the aftercredits, her new powers allowing her to end battles in an instant at the cost of her humanity. Here we see that loss of humanity as a permanent reduction in her available cardpool each time the ability is used.
This convieniently allows her two forms to combo.

•Sayaka•
6/6 +0M
Character
[Death][Life][Order]
Hand: 6
Vit: 19
E: Both players gain 1 vitality.
R, Commit 1 foundation: After you lose vitality due to a cost or effect, your opponent loses 2 vitality. This may not reduce your opponent's vitality below 1.

It's no secret that Sayaka-Chan is about healling and believes very strongly in helping others first but we also soon see her dark side appear in the form of an obsessive need for justice and even self-harm. This translates to UFS as two seperate abilities.
The first keeps both players alive, as Sayaka would wish, while also feeding her vitality-costed support.
The latter punishes direct damage tactics and triggers off that same support, while being somewhat anti-synergistic with the first's desire to keep foes healthy.
Somewhere in a battle, Sayaka will snap and witch from one to the other.

•Mami•
6/6 +0M
Character
[All][Air][Life]
Vit: 26
R, commit 1 foundation: After you check a ranged card, add that card to your hand.
E, discard a ranged card: This attack gets +2 damage.

Mami is a straight up gun user, able to magically spawn weapons and ammo out of thin air. There's not much more to say about the design process here other than that she likes to go all out in a grand 21 gun finale when able.
Her support would focus on her "smiles and teamwork" approach to combat situations, with attacks that potentially buff eachother.

•Kyoko•
6/6 +0M
Character
[Chaos][Death][Good]
Vit: 28
F/R/E, Commit: You may use the ability of any foundation as though it were yours.

Kyoko-San, on the other hand, was a little more tricky but what you see above is what I ended up with. While it may not be reflected so much in her magical girl abilities, Kyoko's heart's desire was the ability to convince others. Couple this with her hatred of waste and we have someone who can't leave another person's foundations ready.
Her attacks would stun and her support foundations on board control.

•Madoka•
6/6 +0M
Character
[Good][Life][Order]
Hand: 7
Vit: 21
R, Pay 3 life, Commit 1 foundation: After your opponent uses an ability, negate its effects. That ability cannot be used again this turn.

Madoka's one most defining trait is her willingness to sacrifice her own hapiness in order to prevent whatever evil others might unleash upon the world. I'm not sure I've captured that too well, though.

•Bebe•
6/6 +0M
Character
[Chaos][Death][Life]
Vit: 29
E, Commit a foundation: If this attack deals 4 or more damage, you gain 2 vitality.
R, Commit: After you gain vitality, if you have gained 6 or more vitality this turn, your opponent loses 3 vitality.

Bebe is a character throughout the series but isn't really introduced until Rebellion, the sequel movie. She is the 6th magical girl, completely obsessed with food (especially cheese).
As with many of the characters, we see here both sides of that obsession.

•Kyubey•
6/6 +0M
Character
[Infinity]
Hand: 7
Vit: 19
R, Discard a card: After your opponent plays an ability printed on their character card, they discard 2 momentum and you may add a card from your hand to your momentum.

Kyubey may not be the sole orchestrator of everything but he sure isn't far off. He has the Infinity symbol because he is the source of all power in the show's universe and his ability reflects his own gain from the abilities he grants.
He would probably be a box topper, coming without support but, should he have any, I envision it being benificial to both players, with a clear weighting in his favour.

TheMarauding
01-02-2017, 09:21 AM
You've clearly put a lot of effort into these so I'll do my best to explain the various issues these characters have. I can see what you're going for for the most part and I'll try and point you in the direction of things that can help if the game has had similar abilities before.

•Homura•
That R has memory issues, extensive memory issues. Both players have to return the game state to the way it was last turn. It specifically needs to interact with a number of private zones including the hand and the top of deck which makes it a nightmare to keep track of, and even the simple stuff like foundations being ready or not compounds the problem late game. With the best will in the world, you're going to get mistakes which the ability simply can't afford. It's a cool effect but it would only work in an online environment where a machine can do it all without a human interfering. Without that, it's too easy to make a mistake and change everything unintentionally. There's a reason physical card games don't have effects like this.

••Homura••
I'd like it if Hellgate hadn't just come out. First turn, wing a five, hope you've got a good block and a 5 on top or your 7 hander is dead. Also, the fact she can't drop momentum as well as cards from hand is concerning. Is that intentional?

•Sayaka•
I'm curious as to what life lost due to a 'non-damaging effect' is. Beyond that, she's a little flimsy but nothing significant to comment on here.

•Mami•
The R is incredibly powerful, being able to lift potentially every attack in the deck with no real cost. The closest character to it is Guts Man and he pays for it by being a 5 hander. All three symbols have access to fat ranged attacks and the E is underwhelming. I'd have to see it in action but that's some pretty powerful recursion.

•Kyoko•
For copycat effects, you're best off lifting the wording off of the cards Felicia got when she was first printed. Seems to be what you're going for. Beyond that, it's cool.

•Madoka•
Pay 3 life to stop an ability for a turn in symbols that by and large don't get negate abilities. It's a cool ability, if perhaps a little undercosted but it's completely wrong for the symbols.

•Bebe•
This I like. Nothing much to say about it, it's good.

•Kyubey•
Infinity on a character is just asking for trouble, something Jasco learnt the hard way when they made Jiffany. 7/23 is still the best stats in standard and I can see him being played extensively were he real. I'd have to see it in action to see how it goes but I can see potential issues with it.

dracomageat
01-02-2017, 08:38 PM
•Homura•
I did wonder. I kept it as simple and elegant as possible for the effect but the effect itself was always going to be something of a strain. I was hoping, on a card where the ability is visible ahead of time, it would be less demanding than on something like an action and that that might save it but you're probably right.

••Homura••
Hellgate is insane on its own. This character was expected to be pushing limits with its power level but never feeding something that intense. The OR vs AND/OR thing was not intentional and probably only serves to make momentum gain irrelevant. I'll likely tweak it later then.

•Sayaka•
I'm a little out of the loop regarding newer cards, I thought Heavy Metal's was more of a mainstream design choice than it is, clearly, and decided to treat the wording like Magic for that reason. It may have to change to allow any non-attack source.

•Mami•
She can only fetch cards as they are checked so never actually reccurs anything and doesn't necessarily have access to what she wants when she wants it but it is a lot of grab ability still. Perhaps the cost can change?

•Kyoko•
I'm not sure how to go about changing the wording as the intent is that commit, destroy, remove and flip costs all be payed using the foundation itself.

•Madoka•
Fair enough. The symbols were chosen for thematic reasons as I don't fully understand what does what but I can see your point. This is the character I was least happy with.

•Kyubey•
Infinity on a character is fine so long as that character doesn't outshine others, surely? Kyubey's ability is 100% reactive, meaning that it cannot be relied upon for a deck's strategy too heavily but, if his stats are too good, I can see there being an issue. I would rather change them than the symbol if possible but, if not, so be it.

Thanks for the feedback :).

Tagrineth
01-02-2017, 09:06 PM
•Sayaka•
I'm a little out of the loop regarding newer cards, I thought Heavy Metal's was more of a mainstream design choice than it is, clearly, and decided to treat the wording like Magic for that reason. It may have to change to allow any non-attack source.

You didn't exactly use Heavy Metal's wording though. Like... WHAT is a "non-damaging effect"...? You don't have to be that stilted with your wording. Just say "after you lose vitality due to a cost or effect". See also: Kyokugenryu Grandmaster.

•Kyubey•
Infinity on a character is fine so long as that character doesn't outshine others, surely? Kyubey's ability is 100% reactive, meaning that it cannot be relied upon for a deck's strategy too heavily but, if his stats are too good, I can see there being an issue. I would rather change them than the symbol if possible but, if not, so be it.

Jiffany Jamber literally doesn't even have an effect.

dracomageat
01-03-2017, 06:14 AM
You didn't exactly use Heavy Metal's wording though. Like... WHAT is a "non-damaging effect"...? You don't have to be that stilted with your wording. Just say "after you lose vitality due to a cost or effect". See also: Kyokugenryu Grandmaster.

A non-damaging effect is an effect that doesn't deal damage but it's now looking like vit loss triggers don't trigger on vit loss from damage anyway. Which is weird but ok.

Jiffany Jamber literally doesn't even have an effect.

And Kyubey doesn't have a higher handsize than everyone else.

Magnusotls
01-03-2017, 09:32 AM
Do you think any of those characters could beat Madara Uchiha?

Tagrineth
01-03-2017, 12:21 PM
And Kyubey doesn't have a higher handsize than everyone else.

No, he just has 2 more health than any legal 7 hand size, and the two 7/21s that are currently out have highly situational effects.

dracomageat
01-03-2017, 01:58 PM
Do you think any of those characters could beat Madara Uchiha?

While I don't know him well enough to give a conclusive answer, I think it's safe to assume that the majority of them couldn't.

Kyoko's extending spear abilities put her on par with some Naruto characters but certainly not the upper echelons.
Mami fights kind of like that one puppet master guy, only with a crazy number of guns replacing the poison. She's more flashy than good, though, truth be told.
Sayaka does a good job of completely oblitterating foes but she does so by blatantly disregarding her own well being. Something that only works if she has the stronger regeneration powers.
Bebe's sole combat skill is the ability to eat people whole without them expecting it. This doesn't work on anyone with narutoverse level reaction times.
And Kyubey can do litterally nothing on his own.
That leaves just Madoka and Homura, who are both more than a little OP. Maybe even return from the dead levels thereof.

No, he just has 2 more health than any legal 7 hand size, and the two 7/21s that are currently out have highly situational effects.

Fine, 19 it'll have to be.

Magnusotls
01-03-2017, 02:33 PM
While I don't know him well enough to give a conclusive answer, I think it's safe to assume that the majority of them couldn't.

And I’m not referring to Rinne Tensei Madara Uchiha with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan and Rinnegan doujutsus (with the rikidou paths ability) equipped with his Gunbai and control of the juubi and Gedou Mazou, a complete Susano’o, with Hashirama Senju’s DNA implanted in his chest so he can perform Mokuton kekkei genkai and yin-yang release ninjutsu as well as being extremely skilled in taijutsu and bukijutsu. And I’m not talking about Edo Tensei Uchiha Madara. I’m not talking about Gedou Rinne Tensei Uchiha Madara either. Hell, I’m not even talking about Juubi Jinchuuriki Gedou Rinne Tensei Uchiha Madara with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan and Rinnegan doujutsus (with the rikodou abilities and being capable of both Amateratsu and Tsukuyomi genjutsu), equipped with his Gunbai, a perfect Susano’o, control of the juubi and Gedou Mazou, with Hashirama Senju’s DNA implanted in him so he has mokuton kekkei genkai and can perform yin yang release ninjutsu while being an expert in kenjutsu and taijutsu. I’m also not talking about Kono Yo no Kyūseishu Futarime no Rikudō Juubi Jinchuuriki Gedou Rinne Tensei Uchiha Madara with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan (which is capable of Enton Amaterasu, Izanagi, Izanami and the Tsyukuyomi Genjutsu), his two original Rinnegan (which grant him Chikushōdō, Shuradō, Tendō, Ningendō, Jigokudō, Gakidō, Gedō, Banshō Ten’in, Chibaku Tensei, Shinra Tensei, Tengai Shinsei and Banbutsu Sōzō) and a third Tomoe Rinnegan on his forehead, capable of using Katon, Fūton, Raiton, Doton, Suiton, Mokuton, Ranton, Inton, Yōton and even Onmyōton Jutsu, equipped with his Gunbai(capable of using Uchihagaeshi) and a Shakujō because he is a master in kenjutsu and taijutsu, a perfect Susano’o (that can use Yasaka no Magatama ), control of both the Juubi and the Gedou Mazou, with Hashirama Senju’s DNA and face implanted on his chest, his four Rinbo Hengoku Clones guarding him and nine Gudōdama floating behind him AFTER he absorbed Senjutsu from the First Hokage, entered Rikudō Senjutsu Mode, cast Mugen Tsukuyomi on everybody and used Shin: Jukai Kōtan so he can use their Chakra while they are under Genjutsu. I’m definitely NOT Talking about sagemode sage of the six paths Juubi Jinchuuriki Gedou Rinne Tensei Super Saiyan 4 Uchiha Madara with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan, Rinnegan, Mystic Eyes of Death Perception, and Geass doujutsus, equipped with Shining Trapezohedron while casting Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann as his Susanoo, controlling the Gold Experience Requiem stand, having become the original vampire after Alucard, able to tap into the speedforce, wearing the Kamen Rider Black RX suit and Gedou Mazou, with Hashirama Senju’s DNA implanted in him so he has mokuton kekkei genkai and can perform yin yang release ninjutsu while being an expert in kenjutsu and taijutsu and having eaten Popeye’s spinach. I’m talking about sagemode sage of the six paths Juubi Jinchuuriki Gedou Rinne Tensei Legendary Super Saiyan 4 Uchiha Madara with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan, Rinnegan, Mystic Eyes of Death Perception, and Geass doujutsus, equipped with his Shining Trapezohedron while casting Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann as his Susanoo, controlling the Gold Experience Requiem stand, having become the original vampire after having absorbed Alucard as well as a God Hand, able to tap into the speedforce, wearing the Kamen Rider Black RX suit, with Kryptonian DNA implanted in him and having eaten Popeye’s spinach while possessing quantum powers like Dr. Manhattan and having mastered Hokuto Shinken.

TheMarauding
01-04-2017, 12:14 AM
Still loses to Megas. :p

sh0ryu_repp4
01-04-2017, 09:42 AM
jfc Magnus lol

(p.s. they all lose to Batman anyway. Because he's Batman.)

dracomageat
01-05-2017, 06:25 PM
I can confirm that Homura, at least, would lose to anyone who knows her powers and how to effectively either counter them before they can be used or control the fight on a mental level. Batman most definitely has the skills for that.