PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Resource Restriction

Shinguyi
09-23-2010, 05:53 PM
Got this idea a few days ago and not sure what you guys may think about it.

Knowing how there have been mechanics in the game which breaks the rules such as Alex making illegal blocks, I started thinking: "why not make more shenanigans like those?". So I thought of a neat effect which could be applied to a random Promo character or Asset or something and it would go like this:

Static: When playing a card into your card pool, your card does not have to share a resource symbol with a card preceding it in your card pool (the card must still share a symbol with your character).

Thought that if it would go on a character, although it promotes playing illegally, maybe add an effect which at the same time promotes legality and maybe add Life Gain to a random character. Do note that this effect would only apply to a character card and not an asset, as if its an asset then every character by the symbols could use it and abuse it.

R: When you play a card, if it shares at least 2 resource symbols with the card immediately preceding it in your card pool and your character, gain 1 vitality.

What do you guys think of this? Just thought of sharing it but not sure what people would think of it.

Pezinator
09-24-2010, 09:41 AM
I'm just making this post to show that this post is useless in the topic:

I can't handle making decks with multi symbols so a character that makes it possible to not pay attention to the symbol would be nice, but then again the problem would be people could make uber combos. I can't think of an example, but if this were to be made then there could be problems with control decks. Turn 1/2 board lockdown basically.

RockStar
09-24-2010, 09:55 AM
My first inclination is to simply cry "BROKE", and peace out. But, i try very hard not to be a Troll. So...

Things will get very dicey and very OP very very quickly for anyone NOT playing this character. Resource restriction isn't a game mechanic that you would want to break. Ever. Thoughts of 3.J.Talbain are dancing in my head of how bad things get when you break a foundational mechanic. This character would be easily as bad, even though they would be restricted to only 3 symbols, assuming you don't give this character the infinity-symbol.

Certain combos that are normally impossible become possible. A fun exercise for you, the o.g. Poster, would be to look through our Standard cards and see just how degenerate of combos you could come up with. This will give you a better idea of what kind of beast you are proposing to create and unleash on us.

I actually like your 2nd ability. It could work and not be a degenerate way of gaining life, but that will also depend upon what other Life-Gain pieces start appearing in future sets (if any).

Shinguyi
09-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Could be made less "broken" if the character had less vitality than usual, low hand size (how 6 handers used to be, having around 20 life) and less resource symbols? Like Elena used to be, only having two resource symbols.

Also keep in mind that those would be the only abilities of the character. You'd basically be playing with the cards you have more than the character you have.

It could break control decks, but it could always be banned from Legacy. I had in mind of sticking with Standard and not other formats. Also, the resource symbols could be decided on symbols which don't have control pieces and are more aggressive in nature.