PDA

View Full Version : multiplayer rules

michel3105
10-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Some weeks ago, a thread about multiplayer UFS rules came up.

Although it's very difficult to turn a 1 vs 1 game like UFS in a perfect multiplayer game, I think that an attempt could be done about a 2 vs 2 variant (home)rules...

Any thoughts or suggestions?...

Shinguyi
10-04-2010, 04:31 PM
There were actually 2vs 2 rules before, although I don't remember exactly how it went. From what I remember, it was something like this for 2vs2:

-Staging Area is shared.
-Card pool is not shared.
-Character Only cards work as long as a character being played on your Staging Area is the character on the Character Only card.
-Only the active character can attack, block and activate abilities.
-When a character reaches 0 vitality, character switches with the Stand-By character. If there is no Stand-By character, you lose the game.
-When starting the game, starting character begins commited and stand-by characters start commited (both players). Stand-by characters' hand size is 3 instead of their printed Hand Size.
-Characters gain these 2 abilities:
R commit: After a character receives 4 or more damage, switch the Starting character character in your Staging Area with the Stand-By character in your Staging Area. Stand-By characters can play this ability.
F Commit: Switch this character with the Stand-By character.

Those were among the rules I remember. I don't think they were official back at the Fantasy Flight Games forum, but me and my play group tested it out and it was very nicely done; really had to make tough decisions on when to Tag Out and when to Tag In.

Teagus
10-04-2010, 06:27 PM
i have copies of what i had gotten off the old SG forums years ago, ive modified the free for all rules a bit due to some questions that came up during play but we dont do tag team much here so i havnt messed with it.
i dont know who originally created these :confused: so cant really give out proper credit but here they are.

UFS 2 on 2 tag-team Rules

Setup: 2 teams of 2 players sit opposite of each other.
Each player controls one normal UFS Fighter with a minimum of 60 cards.

Object: To Knock Out both of the opponents fighters

Rules:
The normal sequence of play is used with the following exceptions:
1. Teams roll to see who goes first.
2. The team that goes first chooses an active player, the team that goes second then chooses their active player.
3. Active players are the only players that may play attacks and actions cards. They are also only player that takes damage when the other team attacks. Active players may not play foundations or assets.
4. Inactive players may only play foundations, actions, and assets. They may not deal damage to the active players in any way.
5. Tagging In – (Active players) may tag in their inactive partner by committing their character card or by placing 1 momentum into their card pool with the following abilities. Difficulty 3, the inactive player becomes the active player.
6. Tagging In – (Inactive players) may tag in their partner with the following reaction: R: during the block phase, commit your character card or discard one momentum; Inactive player becomes the active player. The new active player may play a block to counter the current attack.
7. The inactive player gains vitality at the beginning of their turn. 2 vitality if they are under Ĺ of their starting vitality and 1 vitality otherwise.
8. Player may only block for each other during a tag in. They may not share any resources between themselves. They each have separate card pools as well.

Turn Sequence:
1. The active player takes a form (action) No Foundations or Assets.
2. The inactive player takes a form (action) No Attacks or damage.
3. The active player takes a form (action) No Foundations or Assets.
4. The inactive player takes a form (action) No Attacks or damage.
5. Etc

When a player on the team fails they may not take any more forms but their partner may continue to play forms until they pass or fail. You may tag in a partner that has passed or failed a form and they still become the active player but may play no more cards.
Note a when a player tags in their partner, their partner becomes the active player and immediately takes a form as the active player, the other person becomes the inactive player and may also taken forms with the restrictions of being the inactive player.

UFS Battle Royal Rules

This format is designed as a multiplayer version of UFS.

Setup:
1. Players roll for seat location and sit in a circle or connected tables so that they have a player on both there right and left.
2. Player with the highest roll goes first.
a. The first player starts with their character card committed.
b. The second player starts as normal.
c. The 3rd -5th players start with one committed foundation*
d. 6th- 8th players start with 2 committed foundations*
(* These players discard cards off the top of their deck until they find a foundation and put it into play committed, then reshuffle)

Object: To be the last standing fighter!

Rules:
The normal sequence of play is used with the following exceptions:
1. Players randomly determine who goes first (see above).
2. Play proceeds clockwise around the table.
3. Players may only attack their targeted player.
4. Players start with the player on their left as their target.
5. Players may switch their target at any time during their turn by committing their character card OR discarding 1 momentum.
6. Players may block any attack directed at them.
7. Players may block any attack directed at their target if their target chooses not to block or fails to block.
8. Enhances may only be used when you and your target are resolving the enhance step of an attack.
9. Responses that say player or players may be used at any time the response is valid, if it say opponent then they may only be used in response to your target.
10. Reversals target the attacker whether you block for yourself or your target.
11. If you knock out your target you gain momentum equal to your targets current momentum plus 1 (take cards from the top of your deck as momentum) your target reverts to the player to your left.

ARMed_PIrate
10-05-2010, 03:55 PM
For completeness, here are my Brawl Rules, which are substantially different from the Battle Royale Rules. Battle Royale doesn't give you free choice of who to attack (your target) unless you pay a cost (momentum or character committal). I haven't tried Battle Royale; it might be a lot of fun. I created my rules because I wanted something that was more equivalent to standard multiplayer magic.

You'll note that the set-up is different from Battle Royale. In Brawl, it's necessary for late-order players to have ready foundations, because they can be attacked from the first turn, and might need extra defense to survive the first round.

These rules read a bit like a law-book, but the intent is intuitive play. You can't block an attack and reverse against a separate player (one who didn't attack you), for instance. In general, once an attack or ability is started it's only modified by and only affects the chosen target and/or the player who played it. During an attack, "both players" means the attacker and the attackee.

The exception is that anything _outside_ of an attack, or un-related to an attack, that would affect "both players" affects all players instead.

----------------------

SETUP
P1 starts with committed character.
P2 starts with ready character.
P3 and P4 start with ready character and 1 ready foundation (Reveal cards off the top of the deck 'til a foundation is revealed. Put it into the staging area. Shuffle the deck.)
P5 and P6 start with ready character and 2 ready foundations. (Reveal cards off the top of the deck 'til 2 foundations are revealed. Put them into the staging area. Shuffle the deck.)
Etc.

OBJECT
Last fighter standing.

GAME RULES
1. As a player plays an attack (before any costs have been paid or any control check has been made), that player must choose and declare a target for that attack.

2. Only the player of the attack and the target of the attack may play E abilities on that attack.

3. Only the target of the attack may play cards as blocks to block that attack.

4. If you play an E ability, or if you play an R ability in response to an attack (being played, reaching a particular step, being blocked, dealing damage, resolving, etc.) and that ability refers to "your opponent", then:
--4a. if you played the attack, "your opponent" refers to the target of the attack.
--4b. if an opponent played the attack, "your opponent" refers to the opponent who played the attack.

5. If an F ability is played, or if an R ability is played NOT in response to an attack (being played, etc., as in rule 4), and that ability refers to "your opponent", then the player of the ability must, when declaring the ability, choose which opponent (target) the ability refers to.

6. If an ability refers to "your opponent" multiple times, it always refers to the same opponent.

7. If you play an E ability, or if you play an R ability in response to an attack (being played, etc., as in rule 4), and that ability refers to "both players" or "you and your opponent", then:
--7a. if you played the attack, the ability affects only you and the target of the attack.
--7b. if an opponent played the attack, the ability affects only you and the player who played the attack.

8. If an F ability is played, or if an R ability is played NOT in response to an attack (being played, etc., as in rule 4), and that ability refers to "both players" or "you and your opponent", then that ability affects ALL players.
--8a. Responses of this kind that respond to a "Form" being played (notably Order & Law) affect all players, even if the form being played is an attack.

9. During your attack (or in response to your attack, as in rule 4), when you generate or play another attack (the kick played from Koshu To's E, copies generated by Multiple, any attack Chicanery'd in, etc.), that new attack MUST be directed at the same target as the original attack.
(It's all stemming off one attack, so it's going in the same direction.)

10. During your attack (or in response to your attack, as in rule 4), when your opponent generates or plays another attack (card named "Reversal," cards played as reversals, etc.), that attack MUST be directed at you.
(They're responding to your attack, and that means they're responding AT YOU.)

11. When a trigger comes up, all players take turns playing Responses to that trigger, starting with the player whose turn it is, and moving in a clockwise direction. When all players have passed in succession on playing a response, no more responses to that trigger may be played.

12. In all other ways, rules are the same as standard UFS rules.

Teagus
10-06-2010, 12:11 PM
I suppose ill share my bar fight rules too :P

UFS Bar Fight Draft Rules

Setup:
1. Players roll for seat location and sit in a circle or connected tables so that they have a player on both their right, left and in front of them. Ideally this would be a 6 player match
2. Player with the highest roll goes first.
a. All players start with one foundation in play and their character ready.
b. Players discard cards off the top of their deck until they find a foundation and put it into play committed.

Object: To be the Last drunk standing!

Draft Rules: Players will receive draft packs, a universal fighter character and the 4 bar fight forms:
1. Players open packs and pick one card then pass to the left, next pack goes right and so on.
2. Symbols will be ignored for deck construction and card pool play.
3. Decks will be constructed with the universal fighter as your character. You may not start the game with any other character even if you pull one from a pack. (youíre so drunk you canít remember anything at the moment so your character card is blank)
4. Players may add up to 4 character cards from their personal collection to the deck.
5. Players will build a 60 card deck with the cards pulled from the draft.
6. The deck must be exactly 60 cards with no more than 4 of any one card.

Rules: The normal sequence of play is used with the following exceptions:
1. Play proceeds clockwise around the table.
2. Players may only targeted player they are facing and players to their left and right.
3. Players may attack any of their 3 targets at any time during their turn.
4. Players may block any attack directed at them or one of their targets if their target chooses not to block or fails to block.
5. Enhances may played on any enhance step of an attack targeting you or one of your 3 targets.
6. Responses may be used anytime the activation requirements are met.
7. Reversals target the attacker whether you block for yourself or your target.
8. You may play any character in your deck to add that players abilities to your universal fighter.
9. If you knock out your target you gain momentum equal to your targets current momentum plus 1 (take cards from the top of your deck as momentum) your target reverts to the player to your left.

Bar Fight Permanent effects: these effects are always in play to simulate how drunk all you alcoholics really are.

1. All Enhancements that boost speed or damage require a hard (+X) check, X = the enhancement amount. bonuses are cut in half on a failed check.
2. Starting on players second turn, unless your outside at the end of your combat phase, if you did not play an attack card destroy one foundation.

Bar fight Forms: Starting at round 2 players may play forms to gain bar fight bonuses. (I provide action cards that ive made to my play group so we donít need to add cards from our discard to card pool when playing one). These 4 action cards are considered in your hand at all times and count against your hand size for all effects except draw step.
1. Grab a broken bottle ~ by playing a 4 difficulty Form and adding a card from their discard pile face down in their card pool to gain a +1 damage bonus on attacks while itís in the card pool.
2. Have a seat ~ by playing a 6 difficulty Form and adding a card from their discard pile face down in their card pool to gain a +2 damage bonus on attacks while itís in the card pool.
3. Cheers ~ once per tern by playing a 6 difficulty Form and adding a card from their discard pile face down in their card pool they gain 5 vitality and add the top card from their discard pile to momentum.
4. Low Blow ~ by playing an 8 difficulty Form and adding a card from their discard pile face down in their card pool, Target opponent skips their next ready phase.

Thrown out the window:
1. If an unblocked throw deals 5 or more damage the player is considered to be Throw out the window. They cannot be attacked till they re-enter the bar.
2. A player outside the bar skips their ready phase but can play foundations, assets and characters.
3. Players outside the bar may choose to rest as a First F and gain 5 vitality then end their turn.
4. To re enter the bar a player must make a First F (+5) check and add a card from top of discard to card pool. Upon re-entering the bar they take their ready phase then continue with their combat phase as normal. This Form does not leave the card pool as normal, it may only be removed if you defeat a player or gain vitality greater than the damage that threw you out the window.
5. Players who remain outside for 3 turns straight are KOíd Half the normal kill momentum go to the player that did the throw attack.
6. In the event that only one player is left inside the bar the match ends and they are declared winner.