PDA

View Full Version : The Legacy Thread

ScottGaines
06-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Is anyone besides me hoping legacy is going to be supported way better by the new crew than the bare bones attention steve gave it. I love the separate ban list for it and I think it's going to make it a healthy fun format and also give all us old players something to do with those old cards.

Benefits of supporting legacy in my eyes:
If you don't want to play legacy, you can trade your old cards to newer players who don't have them if they want to get into legacy. Imagine this helping you build your standard deck! How can you not like this.

Creativity: think of all the craziness you can do in legacy and the situations you have to think of, every symbol has a chance to win and no one symbol dominates over all. Yes evil is not the king as order just matches up with it so good.

You get to play with all your old fav characters. From all kinds of games/franchises as well. Talk about memory lane.

SO if anyone wants to talk about anything legacy post it up in here, as this will be the format i'll play the most including extended as well probably.

Da_ghetto_gamer
06-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Legacy just isnt fun for newer players who dont have the knowledge or cards to compete but i feel like if its supported in the future then more people will put effort into playing it and itll make for a better meta

I love legacy and being able to play my old favorite cards again but my playgroup isnt a very strong group when it comes to legacy so i dont get to play very often

Tagrineth
06-22-2010, 03:31 PM
I like that it's gonna see more support. I just hope it actually keeps getting the attention it needs - even with the "overall craziness" that the format will support, there will still be problem cards. Kunai is a great start, but the shenanigans hardly stop there - a couple characters will probably need some attention, notably Tira3 (completely removing the opponent's ability to partially block and her own need to completely block) and Ukyo2 (13 cards in one turn at effectively no cost is dumb, Kunai leaving means Water Ukyo isn't quite as good but Evil Ukyo still gets FLAB + Shinobi + Villainy and other misc cards).

ScottGaines
06-22-2010, 03:35 PM
yeah i posted in another thread tag that i think ukyo needs to go. 13 is absurd.

tira is pretty jank but there are alot more cards to answer characters now, but her ability to push through so much damage is annoying.

Tagrineth
06-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Well Tira turns many wimpy attacks with powerful on-damage effects from being "well it'd be good if they don't block it" into "jesus this card is amazing" (Improvised Weapon Attack says hi). I still think IWA Tira is way OP and seriously NPE (yeah I know that term is dumb but she really drives it home). It's like another I-Spin for her, except worse because of its lower difficulty and synergy in Tira with Chain Throw (the only Throw she'll ever run...).

ScottGaines
06-22-2010, 03:53 PM
yeah i rem the good ole days of that jank. but i think the top decks in legacy atm are +3 ibuki(which is what i'm going to play at gencon if i go), tycho something, alot of order people are bonkers good, evil ukyo can still get there for sure, just has to be more control ish. void dhalsim is still hella good imo. tira for sure is up there, along with sakura mill. adon fire, alex decks are good. etc. legacy is wide open imo.

B-Rad
06-22-2010, 04:01 PM
90 card Order and Law/Blind Stance Alba if gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood. Unless you run into lots of anti discard, then it kinda hurts

ScottGaines
06-22-2010, 04:08 PM
alba is a monster man, mill or control or both. he is super nasty.

NJBrock22
06-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Order & Law and Blind Stance vs X's cards = funny, i remember one of our tournies Brandon(BandT from the old boards) 8 HS Gil vs Ian(Seniko) **K'** Brandon drew god hand of 4 OaL and played them, Ian plays a card on his turn, Brandon reacts with all 4 OaL, Ian discards 4 Pure of Heart, 1 Dodge Step and 2 Chinese Sword Style, funniest moment ever.

Oh btw, good to see ya back Scott "S.G.' Gaines

N.J.

ScottGaines
06-22-2010, 10:30 PM
http://www.dacardworld.com/gaming/universal-fighting-system-ccg?gclid=CI2Z_N2btaICFQxGnQodnF6z5g

go here NAOW, GET TO THE LEGACY CHOPPER, booster cases for 65 bucks, boxes for 11. If you want to play legacy this is a great place to start if you don't have cards.

Hungrynerd
06-23-2010, 03:06 AM
Honestly, I prefer Legacy over Standard or Extended right now. I think it would be great if Legacy received a lot of support. One thing I have noticed by playtesting Legacy, is that the banned list and errata list is too long. I believe there is a large enough card pool to balance the playing field. I'll come up with a list of what I think is safe to remove and we can have a nice friendly discussion :)

Tagrineth
06-23-2010, 12:04 PM
I'll never understand the concept of "large enough card pool to balance..." Larger card pool means a higher probability that one broken combo will overpower. That's one of the reasons the common solution is to keep the card pool limited to a more manageable size.

Unbanning cards like CSS, Turbo, Enlightenment, or Double-Dealing would be a horrific idea, as a note.

I could see some of the Extended bans not applying to Legacy (which I think they don't) but otherwise pretty much every card banned from Legacy should stay banned from Legacy.

Link
06-23-2010, 01:39 PM
With Kunai gone is there ANY Momentum gain for Life?? I don't remember any. Stupid bannings, always hitting Life where it hurts most (Battle Prowess, Kunai, and the most important CSS lol).

ScottGaines
06-23-2010, 02:00 PM
i agree with tag most of the cards banned are gone for a reason. css might be okay coming back as there are tons of answers but just it coming back would change deck building a ton as you would have to pack 8 or more answers to it and that card is too good in a deck like void akuma where he can just run pote, power up, ywne, seclusion and the other void power cards and just kill with one or 2 css in the deck. trust me i built that deck for legacy back in the day, it's disgusting.

ScottGaines
06-23-2010, 02:01 PM
With Kunai gone is there ANY Momentum gain for Life?? I don't remember any. Stupid bannings, always hitting Life where it hurts most (Battle Prowess, Kunai, and the most important CSS lol).

not that i know of that's good. i mean there is that old zasalamel foundation where you commit x foundations to get x momentum. but you will just get raped with absurd prolly or it will get negated. life is not to strong in legacy with kunai gone. only deck that could really hang was life naks.

ScottGaines
06-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Honestly, I prefer Legacy over Standard or Extended right now. I think it would be great if Legacy received a lot of support. One thing I have noticed by playtesting Legacy, is that the banned list and errata list is too long. I believe there is a large enough card pool to balance the playing field. I'll come up with a list of what I think is safe to remove and we can have a nice friendly discussion :)

Legacy is amazing, but alot of the cards banned are banned with good reason. Olcadans is not that bad in legacy, some decks would need it to compete against other symbols, but the problem is, is that the other decks would have it too, so it only makes power symbols that much better, that's the problem with infinity symbol cards, they make the better decks better as well as the crappy ones better, but when the rich get richer the poor are still living in shacks.

Tagrineth
06-23-2010, 02:27 PM

in Legacy, Life doesn't really need momentum for much. Most of the good Life power cards don't require momentum at all! And if you really need some momentum, in Legacy you're loaded with excellent Throws (Close Throw, Witch Hunt, and Widow Maker were in just about every Life deck back in the day) so you can build momentum the old fashioned way too. lol

Hatman
06-23-2010, 03:17 PM

Gather Your Soul, and I'm pretty sure there's other things.

Also, I can attest to Double-Dealing leading to retardedness with Tycho.

ScottGaines
06-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Yeah gather the/your soul something like that was that zas card.

Double dealing being legal, tycho will win legacy worlds every year lol.

Link
06-24-2010, 12:27 AM
Yeah Gather the soul. The reason for the momentum isnt JUST the kill, sure the kill is partially deceptive look, but its for other things... like the very important in legacy superior balance. But yeah def throws are the plan, trust me i ran life back in the day just never deceptive before kunai

Tagrineth
06-24-2010, 12:43 AM
Life only needed Deceptive Look during part of the 3-point format because the game hit a breaking point of being TOO aggressive, a little prior to the total shutdown format of 4-point.

Baranor
06-24-2010, 06:23 PM
I totally agree about Legacy being awesome. Decks are just so flexible and you can create some amazing combos. It's interesting to look at how the amazing cards interact. You can create some pretty stellar kill conditions and stall conditions. Legacy is where the variety is at. I'm excited to get back to worlds and try it out, but it will be 2011 for me due to wedding requirements. Sad Panda.

ScottGaines
06-24-2010, 06:35 PM
dang that sucks baranor :(.

How many of you are going to gencon this year for legacy?
If anyone wants to talk legacy hit me up on aim @ ScottGainesUFS

KodiakZero
06-25-2010, 02:29 AM
I'm a player that recently got into the game (1 month ago lulz). I know like almost all of the four-point stuff. Learning all the cards is difficult and hard to remember, but i like the awesome 8HS Nakoruru lulz (recently discovered, yay me!).

ScottGaines
06-25-2010, 03:20 AM
what symbold do you want to build her off of for legacy kodiakzero? i have most of the deck for trade for either symbol for her. let me know what you want to build, i have a trade thread if you want to take a look at my wants. I have tons of legacy stuff. She is a monster of a character.