PDA

View Full Version : Lets Talk Extended!

jason
10-09-2010, 12:36 PM
What decks have you been building?

There is a fairly new card pool for extended and I want to know what characters/symbols/decks you are building these days? We have been testing out new and old characters here and we would love to hear what you all are playing.

With the card pool available, this is a very fun format, so if you haven't tried it, go for it!

-Jason

Amaru
10-09-2010, 12:39 PM
First off I would like to know what is considered Extended in this game, is it like Magic where it is just a longer version of Standard, or more like UFS's version of Legacy.

jason
10-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Extended is ALL 4 point and 5 point watermarked cards. Everything in standard, plus all of the 4 point shuriken cards.

Yoko Charming Fox
10-09-2010, 12:42 PM
This is sorta of off topic, but I've been meaning to ask you how extended is going to work once more sets come out and rotation starts back up?

And right now the only extended decks I have are a good Nakaruru, and a death Blanka, but saddly I had so sacavange some cases and a few cards for extended, so neither of them are put to getter right now. They're just in their own little groups in my box.

Yoko Charming Fox
10-09-2010, 12:43 PM
First off I would like to know what is considered Extended in this game, is it like Magic where it is just a longer version of Standard, or more like UFS's version of Legacy.

Just to let you know, UFS also has its own Legacy format were all sets are legal, so total there is standard, extended, and legacy.

Amaru
10-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Ok, thats good, I like the way the Extended system is set up, intuitive enough.

bloodocean
10-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Hugo is a pain in the ass in extended. So damn hard to kill. Overall, I like extended 9001% better than legacy though. As for decks I usually go with Evil Akuma and death night terror. I've also got chaos/evil curse Ibuki that works halfway decent.

JinKazama
10-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Iv'e got a tri symbol promo morrigan deck
and a Fire promo Blanka that changes into promo Zi mei to become my legacy deck

Judas225
10-09-2010, 04:14 PM
I have a Water R. Mika that utilizes Drifter to reverse with the Wrath of Heaven combo.

One of my group members has a Padma that can do crazy damage.

That said we don't actually play extended much right now. But I like the direction it's going aiming.

Shinguyi
10-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Hsien-Ko for me by abusing Mei-Lin's Ward, Chi Disruptor and Reunited! Going Good though and it works for me! Oh, and using 3 US Air Base because its awesome.

And Leona with her insanely large hand size and Origins Unknown! Earth-Fire all the way thanks to a lot of Extended stuff.

Zues9105
10-09-2010, 11:03 PM
I just played my first games of extended this weekend and i cant help but wonder why more people dont play its way better than standard!!!!!!! i am working on void Akuma and Earth Heihachi

Shinguyi
10-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Extended is good, but it has much more Gray Wars than Standard since the card pool is much bigger. It has a lot of negation as well and no one likes that...

I have to agree with you in that I enjoy it more than Standard and Legacy as well... ^^

Tagrineth
10-10-2010, 05:49 AM
All of the Extended testing I've ever done shows that blocking is far, far too easy in the format and there are simply way too many tools to say LOLNO to your opponent's attempts to damage you.

One of our local players has a Promo Rock Howard build that pretty much none of our other Extended deck attempts have been able to take down in a match, and he doesn't even run Experienced Combatant or BRT...

In a general sense we just find it horribly un-fun and really, after realizing how far you have to go to push attacks, locally we've all just about given up on Extended.

dutpotd
10-10-2010, 12:08 PM
We are playing our first extedned tourney next weekend (the 17th) so I can report back more then. I hear what Tag is saying, but in all honesty, although the blocks are better, there is just as much blocking in standard. The difference is people tend to run more attacks in standard so that even though 1 or 2 attacks are blocked in a turn the 3rd or 4th is dealing damage.

Obviously I had a 8hs Gill built which won the Extended toruney at gencon. I know there are a lot of Felicia builds that are very viable and threatening. I am currently working on Leona and fine-tweaking my Blanka.

It goes without saying that Akuma is a standout strongest character in the extended cardpool. And maybe, gasp, Hilde?

- dut

Shinguyi
10-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Hilde would be a beast with all the Damage Reduction in Extended and Legacy, although Holding Ground gets that done. She can still play Dual Wielding with Wrath of Heaven before opponent draws into Holding Ground.

Bloodrunstrue
10-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Lets talk SPOILERS!

.......oh wait.....

Tagrineth
10-10-2010, 03:50 PM
We are playing our first extedned tourney next weekend (the 17th) so I can report back more then. I hear what Tag is saying, but in all honesty, although the blocks are better, there is just as much blocking in standard. The difference is people tend to run more attacks in standard so that even though 1 or 2 attacks are blocked in a turn the 3rd or 4th is dealing damage.

The problem we've noticed is that even when you do build an Extended deck with 12-16 attacks, you're probably still gonna be blocked over and over unless your attack packs some kind of ridiculous speed pump or discard.

Zues9105
10-10-2010, 05:43 PM
well im playing 23 attacks in heihachi and blocks dont bother me i am trying to build against a meta of 7 hand sizers that are squishy turn one kills dont matter how much negation or blocks they have I have played donovan and against a felicia deck, oh and jedah but thats just so he could play spinta

Shinguyi
10-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Can't you always use Jedah with Singing and Dancing Musical Sister to reuse insane enhances on attacks? It may be situational but it could prove fun.

Definitely not Tournament viable though.

Tagrineth
10-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Can't you always use Jedah with Singing and Dancing Musical Sister to reuse insane enhances on attacks? It may be situational but it could prove fun.

Definitely not Tournament viable though.

He's probably referring to the other Jedah, who actually has a remotely viable effect unlike the terribad promo. Note that the SDMS idea is neat, but Jedah wants his attacks in his staging area, not his momentum... that and dealing exactly printed damage (no more, no less) is frigging impossible in Extended.

Shinguyi
10-10-2010, 06:10 PM
True true (forgot to mention it was the promo), you got a good point.

I thought its funny but I think there is a way he might be able to: attacks need to deal printed damage so lets use Zi Mei's Wheel kick to get that done. That way, Singing and Dancing Musical Sister becomes a foundation that has Stun: 3 for every Zi Mei's Wheel Kick in your staging area. Problem would be to gain that three momentum and Zi Mei's Wheel Kick not get fully blocked... Maybe with Needs a Challenge.
(Seriously going to try it out for fun; coming up with fun ideas out of the blue)

Anyways, I know its not going to work but a man can dream, hehe. I guess extended as it is doesn't really promote fun play but more a mind breaking and thoughtful ways of playing.