PDA

View Full Version : Negate + Whereabouts Unkown

Sato Arashi
10-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Legacy question. After I play Whereabouts Unknown, they attack the following turn and attempts to play it. I negate it with something like Pieces of Eight. Can I still use Whereabouts Unknown or does the opponent's attempt to use it count toward the "Once per Enhance Step"?

Shinguyi
10-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Counts as once per enhance step because the "Once per enhance step" is on a sentence after the effect so its a restriction. If it said in the beginning of the effect like "Once per enhance step, ------" then you could.

Just to clarify, here is what the AGR says:
2.9.0.9 Some cards have the words “Only playable” written in the last line of text in their effect.
This line of text is to be regarded as an additional restriction and not part of the card
effect.
2.9.0.9.1 If an ability with an “Only playable” restriction is negated or cancelled, it has
still been played/activated, and may not be attempted again.

Although the AGR says "Only once," the case with Whereabouts Unknown should be treated the same way since its at the end of the ability, and someone attempted to play the ability.

Sato Arashi
10-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Alright, thanks for the clarification. I know that if I had two Whereabouts, if one is used, the other can't be used on the same step, since it specifically says "Either player may play this ability once per Enhance Step". I guess if it was playable like the first option, it'd turn out to be broken lol.

Shinguyi
10-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Oh, if you have two Whereabouts Unknown you can, hehe. An ability on a card is considered different from another even if its worded exactly the same way or is from a card with the same name.

If you have two Whereabouts Unknown, one is played and gets canceled, you can still use the other one. Only instance you can't is if a card that cancels an ability says you can't play abilities on cards with the same name which cards like Pieces of Eight don't do; it only negates just that ability of one card.

Sato Arashi
10-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Huh, thought it was the way I thought it was. Of course that's due to the fact that I haven't really played it at all until now. So in the end, I have advantage with it as long I have a negate out there.

Shinguyi
10-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Yep, that's basically it.