PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a J. Talbain deck

Iceman66
10-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Im just getting into UFS and I want to make a J. Talbian deck but I since im new to the game I dont know the card pool, deck ratios, so I need alot of help. But I do know that I want to build the deck around either DS01 or DS2P J. Talbain.

Here is my current J. Talbain deck:

J. Talbain Promo

Foundations:
Senjutsu x3
Mercenary x3
Schoolgirl Innocence x2
Lone Wolf x4
Loner x4
Feline Grace x4
100 years of humiliation x2
Speak the truth x1
Fight or Flight x2
Dark Hunter of the Night x4
Nobility and Pride x2
The Beast Within x2

Assets:
Phases of the Moon x1
Primitive Instinct x1

Actions:
Feral Cunning x2
Full Moon x2

Attacks:
Dark Force: Mirage Body x1
Chijo Beat Rush x3
Moment Slice x3
Climb Razor x3
Flashing Buckler x3
Henkoyuki x2
Million Flicker x3
Tetsu Zanko x1
Dragon Cannon x1

Heres a deck that I just traded for online that Im waiting to come in the mail. Since Im basically just starting out this is my available card pool.

Foundations
4x Lone Wolf
2x Empires Ruin
3x Challenged
4x Fight or Flight
4x The Beast Within
2x The Red Lotus of The Sun
3x Roam the World
3x Cursed Blood
4x Darkhunter of the Night
3x Not the Strogest
2x Light on one's Feet
4x Rebellion

Actions
4x Tag Along
1x Tiger Style
2x Full Moon

Attacks
4x Climb Razor
4x Milion Flicker
4x Club Cruncher
4x Flashing Buckler
2x Chijo Beast Rush
2x Ahaooh Gaboora

Lewk
10-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Well, you should probably start by running a playset of this guy: http://www.twoheadeddragon.com/ufs/DS02/scans/81.jpg
And go ahead and run the DS01 and DS02 Taliban(s). That's all I've gotta say. I'm still a newbie, so someone should come around soon and give you far better advice...

Judas225
10-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Well the DS02 Talbain is banned but the DS01 is legal.

I'm assuming you are a new player Iceman?
What sets do you have access to and where are you located?
Do you have any cards of your own yet or are you just barely starting to buy?

Iceman66
10-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Lewk-Thanks youve been alot of help.

Iceman66
10-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Yeah Im just getting into the game. Nobody in my area sells UFS boxes/packs/ect so I have to trade/buy online. Havent gotten anything yet, except for a promo Cervantes card.

Shinguyi
10-11-2010, 05:14 PM
There are three J. Talbain characters out right now, one which is banned. You should try and search for the other ones; one from Darkstalkers first Booster Box, and another one is a Promo.

Lewk
10-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Your welcome, and I recommend asking some of your nearest shops to sell UFS. You can convince them by talking about lots of players and such. Also, I recomend using coolstuffinc for singles and buying booster boxes off ebay. Also, try and get your friends into it as well. It's not fun on your own. xD

Lewk
10-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Here's an idea. Since you plan on using DS01 Taliban, he's all about gaining vitality. Why not run these cards whilst your at it? You could build some kind of stall deck, and gradually build up to something big. What that something is, is up to you. :)
http://www.twoheadeddragon.com/ufs/DS01/scans/DS050.jpghttp://www.twoheadeddragon.com/ufs/DS01/scans/DS047.jpg

Zues9105
10-11-2010, 05:28 PM
well actually you should decide what format you are wanting to play legacy or extended then you will have an easier time to decide since only the promo is extended legal

Iceman66
10-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Right now Im just gonna be playing with a small group of friends. We just play with whatever cards we have. But I dont have a deck yet, so I just need a good decklist so I know what to buy/trade for.

Judas225
10-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Your choices go back to what Zues said. If you want to plan to be competitive in the near future you should focus on standard decks since that's the biggest competitive focus for most groups. If you go with Extended or Legacy I don't think there's a lot of demand for it except at bigger tourneys, but it doesn't really matter if you're just looking to get a bunch of guys together for fun.

You shouldn't be too far away from a couple other groups. Jasco HQ is in Lubbock. So you might want to focus on Standard to get you started.

That's just a few suggestions to keep in mind. It depends more on what you want to do.

Zues9105
10-11-2010, 06:11 PM
there are a few guys on here from austin see if you cant get with them for playing thats where the PTC is going to be held i think

Iceman66
10-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Stupid Question what does PTC stand for? When and where is it?

Zues9105
10-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Its In Austin first of the Year Date not released yet but will be up soon enough im sure Standard format. It stands for Pro Tour Circuit and if you win one of these events you get travel paid and a one round bye at worlds plus other prizes

Iceman66
10-11-2010, 06:37 PM
What sets are legal in standard?

EscarcegaGuy
10-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Quest of Souls, Shadowar, Tekken 6, and Tower of Souls. Plus when Red Horizon comes out in about a month or so that too will be standard.

Hayamachop
10-11-2010, 07:20 PM
ill look thru my old stuff later and look for some stuff :o for you

Iceman66
10-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the help

God_of_Muay_Thai
10-11-2010, 08:53 PM
If you can get the promo talbain he's fun.9 handsize every couple turns is nice

Iceman66
10-12-2010, 12:31 AM
Yeah 9 card hand is really cool but so is constantly gaining life with DS01 Talbain. Ill probably use promo talbain but ill still get DS01 talbain just cuz I like the art lol

Zues9105
10-12-2010, 01:12 AM
More cards in hand statistically wins more games hints never been a six handsizer to win worlds if im not mistaken

NJBrock22
10-12-2010, 05:38 AM
a 6 hander HAS won Nats though, yeah considering it was Vold-omar... but still... though consider this year we had a 6 Hand character that COULD have won worlds had it not ran into well a VERY broken character... oh here is the rundown

2006 - Tira3 7 hand - Khols
2007 - Vega1 7 hand - Olexa
2008 - Ibuki4 7 hand - Hata
2009 - Zi-Mei1 7 hand - Bittner
2010 - Hilde 7 hand - Olexa

thats the world champs... in that the only 6 hander that got CLOSE to winning prior to this year was iirc Shane Duckworth's Yun-Seong1 Air deck, but now in standard i really think ANY 6 hander can win if built right, 7 handers may have that 1 extra card a turn advantage... but remember they do have 18 vitality or less and that CAN hurt ya if your opponent can go off on ya.

Now as pertains to the OP, if you would like i can help ya out with your deck, i do have a deck idea i typed up for someone else only problem is it's Talbain2 and not Talbain1. Need any deck ideas don't hesitate to look me or a few of the others here up.

N.J.

KodiakZero
10-12-2010, 06:15 AM
My friend made a J. Talbain deck....soooooo annoying. All it did was -dmg and +vit...he used this one;

http://twoheadeddragon.com/ufs/DS01/scans/DS046.jpg

He used almost all of his stuff, because it kept giving him Moon Tokens. If you are looking for deck building tips, visit ALTDrews awesome guide; you should have no problem after that.

http://forums.jascogames.com/forums/showthread.php?144-UFS-101-A-New-Player-s-Guide-to-Deckbuilding

As for Dragon Cannon; i love the artwork, and love the action, love the attack, but hate the difficulty -.-

tannerface
10-12-2010, 11:29 AM
This card should help you play Dragon cannon.
http://www.twoheadeddragon.com/ufs/SC04/scans/16.jpg

Shinguyi
10-12-2010, 11:34 AM
If running in legacy, be sure to use Roam the World! Very good card in all decks that can run it.

(Another character that doesn't have the Life resource symbol and insane Vitality gain... meh...)

tannerface
10-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Yea the promo one should have had chaos not this one.

Shinguyi
10-12-2010, 11:42 AM
I suggest using both by the way Iceman66. When beginning the game you get to pick which one to start with, and you can always stack them together to have a bunch of effects.

Also, they are all 6 Control and +0 Mid Blocks.

JinKazama
10-12-2010, 11:57 AM
and All (mishima family bloodline)

Depending on what turn you stack you can have infinite moon tokens.

tannerface
10-12-2010, 12:01 PM
and All (mishima family bloodline)

Depending on what turn you stack you can have infinite moon tokens.

I remember a while ago that there was a discussion about infinite moon tokens, and how it was not possible. Maybe Tag remembers the ruling. However building off all would give you access to mishima family bloodline and that can be very good.

Shinguyi
10-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Yeah, the thing was that the character cards stacked each had its own moon token, so only abilities on some of them would be activated.

For infinite Moon Tokens you'd have to have stacked 2 of each, and played at different times. So when you remove a Moon Token from, lets say, J. Talbain (1), be sure to have one stacked that when you removed one your other one gets it as well.
(or somethign along those lines)

Iceman66
10-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Thank you everyone for your advice I really appreciate it. Ill post a rough decklist soon.

NJBrock22
10-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Yeah, the thing was that the character cards stacked each had its own moon token, so only abilities on some of them would be activated.

For infinite Moon Tokens you'd have to have stacked 2 of each, and played at different times. So when you remove a Moon Token from, lets say, J. Talbain (1), be sure to have one stacked that when you removed one your other one gets it as well.
(or somethign along those lines)

BUZZZZZZZZZERRRRR wrong!

Talbain's abilities stack BUT the extra at the beginning of turn blah blah dont cause a loop of tokens, it just looks for at the beggining of the turn IF YOU HAVE ANY TOKENS, remove them, if you DONT have tokens(at that point) THEN you add tokens for each DIFFERENT character(in this case 3 at most eventhough Talbain3 is banned) so you'll either have TWO or ZERO not 1 every single turn, the ONLY way to do the 1 EVERY Turn is to use Full Moon. Chris will come in here and back me up on that or i can just dig up the old ruling.

N.J.

Shinguyi
10-12-2010, 09:33 PM
BUZZZZZZZZZERRRRR wrong!

Talbain's abilities stack BUT the extra at the beginning of turn blah blah dont cause a loop of tokens, it just looks for at the beggining of the turn IF YOU HAVE ANY TOKENS, remove them, if you DONT have tokens(at that point) THEN you add tokens for each DIFFERENT character(in this case 3 at most eventhough Talbain3 is banned) so you'll either have TWO or ZERO not 1 every single turn, the ONLY way to do the 1 EVERY Turn is to use Full Moon. Chris will come in here and back me up on that or i can just dig up the old ruling.

N.J.

Could have sworn it was the other way around, as every character card stacked had its own Moon Token and they didn't pile up. Oh well.

Better for J. Talbain.

tannerface
10-12-2010, 09:40 PM
BUZZZZZZZZZERRRRR wrong!

N.J.

This sounds more like the ruling I was talking about.

Iceman66
10-14-2010, 10:44 PM
Just posted a decklist that I just traded for online.

Lewk
10-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Eh, you traded for a deck list...?

Iceman66
10-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Lol no I traded for the deck and a stack of about 40 other cards with the halo symbol. Also, some friends of mine bought 2 boxes of darkstalkers and gave me whatever i needed to make a deck. Unfortunately one of my friends already got to the talbain stuff so I ended up making a demitri deck and a ryu deck on the side. Then later that day my friend needed money so I bought the talbain deck for $10. Ill post the deck i have right now. Im still waiting for the deck I traded for online.

Lewk
10-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Lucky bugger :) enjoy your cards!

Iceman66
10-20-2010, 02:23 PM
It gets better, I also got new sleeves and a deck box with the deck I just posted on the first page all for just $10.

Lewk
10-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Meh, you shouldn't have to pay more tha $7 for sleeves and a deck box tbh...

Iceman66
10-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Yeah but the sleeves and box came with the deck. So I got everything for just $10.

Lewk
10-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Ah, I see...