PDA

View Full Version : Attention Potential Scouts/TO's!

JohnHag
06-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Hello everyone,

I had a question to all you player's out there who are interested in becoming a Scout and/or TO. What are some things that you would like to see from us? We are in the process of trying to come up with a proper reward system for our Scouts and TO's, and we would certainly like to hear from you all about ideas or suggestions that you all might have.

The future of this game cannot continue by simply stocking stores with product, as we have seen in the past. We understand how crucial it is for not only us, but for the player base to get involved in marketing the game. We want to implement a program that adequately rewards Scouts and TO's for their hard work. Before we do that, we want to hear from you all on what you would like to see, and any suggestions you all might on the whole process.

ShadowDragon
06-23-2010, 01:15 PM
For me I guess I'm just happy with promo packs like STG and FFG had been doing, but as long as they're current promos that I can actually use or don't have yet. I'm a promo collector too, part of why I'm happy with promos.

The appreciation foils that STG gave out (foil playsets of Roam the World) were nice too. Even though they were introduced to the prize pool for everyone shortly afterwards (I understand that it will probably be a while before foils are back though and that league foils are probably a long ways off). Though something tells me it may not make the players happy if their scouts get promos a month or so ahead of them~

Perhaps a copy or two of prerelease promos in prerelease months so that they'll still get a copy even though they can't partake in their own prerelease tourny prizes? Or even a copy or two of the set's boxtoppers?

I'll have to come up with more ideas~

Link
06-23-2010, 01:28 PM
I gotta agree with ShadowDragon, if theres anything else that you guys want to toss in promo-wise thatd be great but as of now im good with what we get as long as its not old stuff

Tagrineth
06-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Like I said in the other thread, Scouts should get more copies of the prize support exclusive promos, since Scouts are uniquely forced to trade for more copies of the cards, rather than having the chance to earn them like their players can.

Jypsy
06-23-2010, 01:39 PM
I was perfectly happy with the way things were: scouts get a scout pack with 1 of each promo card that the players get. Granted it made some cards hard to get playsets of, but in the end it was fair.
the only times I got irritated was when the scouts would get a pack containing 3 of the same character or card and missing others.

Judas225
06-23-2010, 01:46 PM
I agree with more copies. 1 of each can make it hard to trade for a playable amount, especially for the really good cards that nobody wants to get rid of.

Jypsy
06-23-2010, 03:04 PM
How about we get 1 promo per verifiable player we get?

This way the scouts that actually get playgroups going will get rewarded appropriately, and those that don't do anything to help the game will get nothing.

ShadowDragon
06-23-2010, 03:09 PM
I don't think I can agree with that... a scout can hand out character promos to non-players and run demos all day long, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll gain any new players. They could be penalized for not having any players even if they're doing what they can to try and get more =/

TripsEX
06-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Yeah, my Sunday events at my store don't pull as much as my Tuesday night at my house event. I don't think you want to count my house as a venue considering we're drinking most of the time.

I have always been a fan of product over promos really. You don't need every promo that comes out (Peaceful Path? I've never used it.), but having a complete playset of something never hurt.

ATLDrew
06-23-2010, 06:14 PM
Outside of promos, random game stuff like binders, playmats, and life counters would be cool. Other than that, barring random silly distributions of promos, the old rewards were pretty good. Obviously except towards the end when FFG was just trying to clear shelf space by sending stuff that wasn't legal.

Getting rewards as a scout is cool and all, but i think that the players should have a little bit more incentive to play in tourneys. I know a lot of other ccgs that give away alternate arts, binders, playmats, counters, deck boxes, etc.. I know a lot of that isn't possible right away but as the game grows it will be something to consider. One of the biggest gripes for OP has been "what's in it for me as a player." Well, if Jasco sweetens the deal but throwing in some cool vanity stuff, then I'm sure more people will be willing to leave other TCGs and jump over to UFS.

Habeck
06-23-2010, 10:23 PM
I love our areas old scout Jeff Harpold, but I'm not sure if he is coming back. We have players who love the game and a good city for card games, so I would be willing to step in if he makes the choice to not to continue. I want good circulation of good promos and bad circulation of bad promos, it seems fair right. The life counters where super slick those should make a come back. I got Trips back on the product over promos view and also on the playset idea. I'm not a buisness major yet so I only know my own views.

Jypsy
06-23-2010, 11:10 PM
I don't think I can agree with that... a scout can hand out character promos to non-players and run demos all day long, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll gain any new players. They could be penalized for not having any players even if they're doing what they can to try and get more =/

I don't think scouts should be rewarded with cards for doing demos. I know a lot of players who will gladly demo almost any game in hopes of getting new people to play.

In the end the idea is the scout gets more people to play in events, which sells more product, which allows more promos to be sent out. If we aren't getting people to play, and aren't getting events going, what do we need promos for?

Whichever works really.
ATLDrew has the right idea though, lots of games regularly offer playmats and binders on a weekly basis and that alone gets people to pay and play.

TripsEX
06-24-2010, 03:48 AM
You ever see what the Pokemon Professor thing does? They have an all black side loader deck box with a simple Pokeball on it. The only way to get that thing is through the ProfProg. I want a rad UFS deck box for Scouts only. D;

Sato Arashi
06-24-2010, 10:23 PM
I haven't been a Scout/TO before but I'm a bit lacking for players down here in Southern California. If it comes to the point that we are able to get something down here, I was thinking being interested in being one. I'd just like to know what are the requirements and the duties of being one. PM me as I would be appreciated once you have the answers for those, thank you.

Kenzo
06-29-2010, 12:07 PM
well, i'm chilean scout in the old system, and the prize card are cool for us, we have 20 players in the end of world fighting twice times per week, and we are happy with the game still alive.

JohnHag
06-29-2010, 01:19 PM
Hey everyone,

We talked it over what we want to be able to do for our Scouts and TO's. We had the same concern that many of you did when it came to actual card support, and that it was unfair to only have a certain portion of the player base with access to certain cards. Regardless of who you are, we want all of our product to be available to you all.

What we are going to do is start making custom card sleeves, deck boxes, binders, and play mats. It will show our appreciation to our Scouts and TO's without putting any player in a position where they do not have access to certain cards. We have been working hard on some ideas for what we want them to look like and we are fairly pleased with what we have seen. Again, this is not something that we can implement right away, but we are working to get these made as soon as we can.

In the meantime, we understand that many of you all, and your player base, do not have access to many of the promotional cards that were released. We are going to be sending our Scouts and TO's select promotional cards to help with a bit of the distribution problem that we have. We certainly want to make this an attractive option, and the cards that are being distributed should reflect that. If you are a Scout and/or TO, or are wanting to be, please contact us through email so we can further explain the process more. scouts@jacsogames.com

Also, be on the lookout for more information regarding Scouts and TO's. We are currently a bit grounded here at the office, so we are not able to spread the good UFS word as we would like to at the moment. We know the kind of influence that our Scouts and TO's can have and we want to see you all involved, as we know it is crucial to the success of the game. For those who have been Scouts/TO's, and for the current ones, we thank you for your dedication and hard work. The UFS community is an amazing thing to be a part of, and the hard work that you all show is a big reason why.

Thank you all again, and we hope to have more information to you as soon as we can.

Target X
06-30-2010, 09:01 AM
Vanity items are a pretty damn good idea. Makes the player feel good about himself without giving him an edge like promos do.

Alternate art cards would also be very sweet.

Teagus
06-30-2010, 10:31 AM
I like the character promo's cause it helps fill out my character binder, thats the fastest way ive gotten people interested just by showing them who you can be :P really looking forward to sleeves and deck boxes though that would rock.

RockStar
06-30-2010, 11:04 AM
The Scout for Epic Adventure Games is currently on vacay in Spain until Mid-July. I'll be sure to get him to sign up as the official Scout for Santa Cruz, CA, and to start registering events on these Forums w/JascoGames.

He's really on top of it when he's around!!

Freeman
06-30-2010, 03:25 PM
My perspective of the situation has been quite different from yours: I'm an old system scout from Spain, and we had huge problems getting the prices in time and many time I had nothing to give to my players. I'll try to gather them again to do some kind of a brainstorm (two MtG words on a sentence XD) but from my point of view, this is what it was laking on the OP:

For player:
-Good looking cards.
-Killing attacks. Let's be honest, kids gotta love the game to grow the comunity. On a more advances decks such attack would be neutralized, but on a starter level, it may mean victory. And kids like to win.
-Extra non-card stuff: Like Target X just pointed, that kind of things also push players to feel a player and not a casual.

For Scouts:
-Starter Deck: mini versions of deckss to give around, apart from the OP, but we really need that kind of stuff to atract players.
-Staff Stuff XD: Non-game goods make Scouts feel proud of what they do and feel valued by the company. Actually, shirts could have the name of the scout somewhere, so new players learn his name fast and it is somehow customized for him.
-Alternate art cards: This way, player and Scout could get the same copies of a promo, but Scouts would see their effort rewarded.

Anyway, what I see most important of all is not WHAT we send to the tournaments, but HOW we do it. A good network of communication and delivery is what will make the gameplay constant and strong.

Edit: Some typos over there ^_^U. Fixed.

TripsEX
07-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Yeah, alternate art for characters and stuff, that would be sick. Hell, even non-tournament legal Scout cards would be awesome.

Ruling 2/5 +2M
After an ability is playing, negate that ability and it cannot be played for the rest of the game unless the player who played this card deems it otherwise. Your opponent can commit 2 foundations to negate this ability, but that can also be overruled.

aslum
07-25-2010, 07:35 PM
As much as I'd like to get cool stuff for being a scout, it also would be cool to for newbies to get stuff, and players who bring newbies in to get stuff...
In an ideal world the Organized Play software would track who referred someone to the game. Do it kind of like a pyramid scheme (I know I know, hear me out).
So my regular brings in two new guys. He gets an okay promo (as do they) ... but he's brought in several newbies before, already has a playset so he gives them both his copy as well. Next week on of the newbies comes back. He and the regular who referred him both get a slightly cooler promo. One of the newbies keeps coming back, after his 5th return he and the regular both get another promo. And again at 20.
So that would be some basic incentive to bring some new players into the game and try and convince them to become regulars.
Even more pyramidy: If that newbie brings in 5 more players (who come at least 3 times? 5times?), he and the person who referred him both get a promo.
If you can find a way to include the scout in the proceedings to.
This could be a lot or a little work depending on how the OP software was set up... it wouldn't be too bad as long as the software did most of the calculations...
Also when I say promo, it doesn't have to be cards. Artwork, deckboxes, sleeves, playmats, themed "dividers" (for card collections) would also be incentive too.

Birch
08-03-2010, 11:08 PM
what do scouts do...? cuz im sure i could try to get people to join the game. There are plenty of card shops around me.

KodiakZero
08-04-2010, 06:19 AM
It will be easier once the next set and promos are distributed again. It will give new players something to shoot for. It's easier to get into something when there is incentive to back it up. I've gotten like 4 friends to play with our playgroup so far, and one of them got like 6 more where he lives. It's not many, but our playgroup is about 20 people, which is more than i can say about alot of places :(

Grizzlegrom
08-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Scouts should get a playset of each of the new cards in prize support and I would not be opposed to special Scout Only League foils that are older or even standard cards that are either just foil or special in some way like say for instance a foil copy of For the Money or something that way scouts would get something special as would players just an idea

cottccid
09-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Please, please, PLEASE stop releasing promos that are not available in packs. Magic has done it the right way: Promos are alternate art, or foil, but functionally identical to things you can open in packs. It still lets the players feel special ("pimp my deck") but it doesnt give a power advantage.

I have played UFS for several years (as well as many other CCGs), and the promos ruined it for me. Why would I want to buy packs when my deck is full of Blood Runs True or Chester's Backing? Making promos that are equal in power level to cards in packs is tough, and if you screw up just once, the metagame is ruined. And why wouldnt you want to promote the secondary market, instead of the primary market? If any card can be opened in packs, people will buy more packs.

While I am not a scout, I would like to be. What I would like to see, as a reward, is alternate art cards, exclusive previews (send me a couple of commons from the next set, before it is published) and, if it is economical, some peripherals. I loved the patches. Maybe send out a life counter, or some sleeves with some of the great art that you have. Don't make me more competitive because more of my cards are foil than my opponent's.