PDA

View Full Version : Bris' Deck Building Blog (Fire) Steve Fox

brislove
11-10-2010, 02:02 PM
First installment, Brisís deckbuilding blog.
FireFOX! (steve fox, fire)
For a while I thought this deck to beÖ..not viable, mainly because everyone was packing tons of anti-stun. However with chaos on the rise, and chaosí lack of anti-stun, I think this deck could provide some surprisingly decent results.

Thoughts on Steve Fox: his 2nd E gives a great damage reduction ability, assuming you are willing to keep on attacking, I feel this combos excellently with Paulís Gi, used only for its (All) E, also in conjunction with Hildeís weapon to draw additional cards on the attempted kill turn. It Is very possible that Paul is Strictly better for stun fire, but I think steve Fox has something to offer, for sure.
Ok so I have decided on a couple key cards, and I think itís pretty clear we are going to be punching people out. So I tend to start with the attack line-up, I generally feel that in an aggressive deck with 6HS 18 is the correct number of attacks, this can be altered through testing, but I feel itís a good starting point.

We have fire punches, this is pretty clear Turn Thruster, Tandoya, Hammer of the gods, blazing fist, phoenix smasher are certainly the ďgoodĒ ones. A good argument can be made for sweeping tail strike, because of its low difficulty, but I donít feel like that fits the plan in this deck. I think Phoenix Smasher is going to be useful less often than blazing fist, initially which is why Iím choosing to only run 2 of them, and 4 of everything else. Iím certainly waffling on this, 4 smasher 2 blazing could easily be better, but that is what testing is for.

Foundations; I want to be attacking on turns 2, 3, 4, and so on until they are dead, 2-3 attacks a turn is the ideal just in order to continue using Steveís 2nd E and building afterwards, relying on card draw and Steve to keep me from dying. Low difficulty high value foundations are excellent here, as are things that help pass multiple attacks. Communing/for the money.

I want to take advantage of the ALL symbol for card draw, making Battle Tested excellent for both offense and defense. I also want cheap foundations that help me win, because winning is the goal :-p
Hereís the rough draft list I am at with these concepts in mind.

FIREFOX
1x Steve Fox

Attacks: 18
4x Tandoya
4x Turn thruster
4x Hammer of the Gods
4x Blazing Fist
2x Phoenix Smasher

Actions: 3
3x Clash of the Ages (totally sick with stun, no lies.)

Assets: 3
1x Paulís Gi (going to 1 might be better)
2x Jimmy Kimmel

Foundations: 35
4x Best Friends
4x for the money
4x Financial Troubles
4x Communing with the Ancients
4x Hope for oneís People
4x Battle tested
4x Strength Within
4x Brooding
3x The Ultimate Team

brislove
11-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Reserved for stage 2

brislove
11-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Reserved for Stage 3

brislove
11-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Reserved for Final thoughts/list

RockStar
11-10-2010, 11:40 PM
Hey Man,

Sorry to bring this up so soon, but i ran a FireFox deck for US Nats Teams and didn't win a single match. You run a very similar deck-list, and while i'm not saying i'm a better player, or that you are the better player, i'm merely pointing out that Steve Fox just doesn't have the juice to get loose, if you take my meaning.

Lest this be called a Troll-Post, i would suggest running Quick Strike instead of Clash. And, i would also look into Wonderworld Comics instead of G Nova, as you get two instances of either drawing a card, which makes it harder for MAC to negate. Or, you have insta-momentum to fuel Blazing Fist. Also, I would replace Tandoya with Gut Drills. It takes a little forethought to plan your defense, chaining symbols and what-not, but Gut Drills are absolutely GOLD!!

Hope this helps.

brislove
11-11-2010, 12:10 AM
yeah, clash didn't make it to 10 games in testing. I always forget about wonderworld because i don't have them >_> lol.

I'm pretty sure it's more of a casual/fun deck than anything, but until we get spoilers and I can do this for Kaden might as well roll it up with Steve haha.

it's a good trial run for me just to practice the formating see what I like/don't like about this format, and something weaker is honestly the only thing i could come up with that isn't already known.

Judas225
11-11-2010, 12:56 AM
Hey Man,

Sorry to bring this up so soon, but i ran a FireFox deck for US Nats Teams and didn't win a single match. You run a very similar deck-list, and while i'm not saying i'm a better player, or that you are the better player, i'm merely pointing out that Steve Fox just doesn't have the juice to get loose, if you take my meaning.

Lest this be called a Troll-Post, i would suggest running Quick Strike instead of Clash. And, i would also look into Wonderworld Comics instead of G Nova, as you get two instances of either drawing a card, which makes it harder for MAC to negate. Or, you have insta-momentum to fuel Blazing Fist. Also, I would replace Tandoya with Gut Drills. It takes a little forethought to plan your defense, chaining symbols and what-not, but Gut Drills are absolutely GOLD!!

Hope this helps.

Honestly it might just come down to play style. When I was looking over the deck I was modeling it based on my Dariya build, which is a definitely defensive deck with some offensive push when you need it. I should have tried for a more detailed strategy on how to play the deck itself but I just didn't have the time and I figured we were both on the same page with everything.

From what you've said and what I've seen I think you were playing the deck a bit differently than I was thinking to build it. My build was meant to be more of a techy back and forth style game with a 'wait and see' mindset. He was never meant to get loose until your kill turn was guaranteed. It was meant to be a more defensive fighting style.

Either way I still appreciate you taking a chance with my crazy plans. Maybe it's something we need to work together on in the future. I'll have to find time to test that build down here and see what happened.

@Bris
Basically what Rockstar said already. I'd also suggest splashing more into All to get a bit more card draw in there. It helps control the pace of the game and lets you get what you want faster.

RockStar
11-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Honestly it might just come down to play style. When I was looking over the deck I was modeling it based on my Dariya build, which is a definitely defensive deck with some offensive push when you need it. I should have tried for a more detailed strategy on how to play the deck itself but I just didn't have the time and I figured we were both on the same page with everything.

From what you've said and what I've seen I think you were playing the deck a bit differently than I was thinking to build it. My build was meant to be more of a techy back and forth style game with a 'wait and see' mindset. He was never meant to get loose until your kill turn was guaranteed. It was meant to be a more defensive fighting style.

Either way I still appreciate you taking a chance with my crazy plans. Maybe it's something we need to work together on in the future. I'll have to find time to test that build down here and see what happened.

@Bris
Basically what Rockstar said already. I'd also suggest splashing more into All to get a bit more card draw in there. It helps control the pace of the game and lets you get what you want faster.

No worries, bro. I had a great time chattin' up UFS Tech with you, and i gained a whole helluva lotta insight as to what to look for when deck-building. My experience this past weekend surely might've been a difference in play-style vs deck-build, but i'm also just not sure that our build had enough toys to consistently win in the current Meta. Games rarely lasted beyond T3, and by then, there was enough board presence, and Torn Hero to counter Stun, that pushing enough Kill damage through was difficult.

Back on the OPs topic: I have to agree with Judas225: P2P is so $$ in this format, and with Steve Fox, because i was reducing damage left and right by 4 - 8 points, easy. And, on those rare occasions, i was also mitigating speed pump.

brislove
11-11-2010, 10:55 AM
yeah, P2P was a pure oversight, I actually think it made it into the intial build, or like 1-2 games in. sometimes during the list writing phase I just miss cards lol. but I'll get that up in part two pretty soon.

Judas225
11-11-2010, 02:20 PM
No worries, bro. I had a great time chattin' up UFS Tech with you, and i gained a whole helluva lotta insight as to what to look for when deck-building. My experience this past weekend surely might've been a difference in play-style vs deck-build, but i'm also just not sure that our build had enough toys to consistently win in the current Meta. Games rarely lasted beyond T3, and by then, there was enough board presence, and Torn Hero to counter Stun, that pushing enough Kill damage through was difficult.

Back on the OPs topic: I have to agree with Judas225: P2P is so $$ in this format, and with Steve Fox, because i was reducing damage left and right by 4 - 8 points, easy. And, on those rare occasions, i was also mitigating speed pump.

Might have glossed over a few draw utilities at the time. Between researching something like 5 different decks, and then having you switch decks nearly every day for a week while I was dealing with school had me pretty much as fried as you near the end.

You have to remember my group regularly plays games that tend to go long, even with our faster characters. Hell just this last weekend I had my cousin playing Lu Chen against my Christie and I had to add a "minimum one form per turn" rule or nothing was going to happen. I had to force mill Lu Chen, the whole game took probably close to an hour.

@Bris

You probably want to consider running several copies of different tools to allow you to draw more. Paul's Gi and G Nova together at 2 or 3 each, or replace one of those with WWC. Also, Communing probably doesn't need to be in there since you're probably not playing more than three attacks most turns, and if you run enough draw you can hit more cheap foundations when you need them. Maybe search into Algol's support for a few things to splash for.

Also, I'm wondering about the kind of people you play against. Then we might be able to see more specific reasons why you went with one choice over another.