PDA

View Full Version : Very basic rules queries: Action Cards, Forms on Foundations and Responses

strawdonkey
11-16-2010, 05:17 AM
Hi all,

Had a couple of games of UFS with demo decks (Foundation and Attack cards only) last night and just have a couple of queries regarding cards in my starter deck (Street Fighter Domination: Sakura) that we weren't able to cover, and I can't find a satisfactory explanation in the rules for.

1. Whirlwind

F Commit, discard 1 momentum, discard 1 card: Discard 3 card from your card pool

Firstly, this Foundation has a Form I can play. Can I play it on the turn it was played while it is still in my card pool?

When it is in my staging area, when I use the ability as a Form, what happens to this card? Is it moved to my card pool, and if not, are subsequent Forms I play subject to the difficulty modifier as if I had played a Form from my hand?

2. Brazilian Heritage

Split Card, Action side reads E Reveal the top card of your deck. Draw the revealed card.

If I want to use this Enhance ability, do I play this card during the Enhance Step, from my hand stating that I want to use the Action side, and make a Control Check (difficulty 2)? Is the difficulty of this card affected by the number of cards in my card pool? Does this card then go in to my card pool once the control check is passed or is it discarded?

3. Siberian Training

R: After your opponent plays an attack, reduce that attack's damage to 0. Only Playable if your opponent has more ready foundations than you do.

Assuming I can fulfil the ready foundations criteria, can I respond to any Attack my opponent makes by playing this from my hand and making a control check (difficulty 1)? Is the difficulty of this affected by the number of cards in my card pool? Does this card go in to my card pool once I successfully pass the control check, or is it discarded?

Apologies for the dumb questions, this is pretty different to any other TCG I've ever played so have picked the basics up quickly but the rest of it is throwing me a little :)

SMazzurco
11-16-2010, 07:26 AM
Hi all,

1. Whirlwind

F Commit, discard 1 momentum, discard 1 card: Discard 3 card from your card pool

Firstly, this Foundation has a Form I can play. Can I play it on the turn it was played while it is still in my card pool? No. Abilities printed on foundations are only playable from the staging area, unless text on the card specifically states otherwise.

When it is in my staging area, when I use the ability as a Form, what happens to this card? In this case it is commited (similar to "tapped" in magic) because that is specified on the card as part of the cost. It remains in your staging area. Abilities played on cards in your staging area are uneffected by progressive difficulty. Progressive Difficulty ONLY effects cards played as forms from your hand. Is it moved to my card pool, and if not, are subsequent Forms I play subject to the difficulty modifier as if I had played a Form from my hand?Also it does not effect progressive difficulty. Progressive difficulty is only increased when you put a card into your cardpool

2. Brazilian Heritage

Split Card, Action side reads E Reveal the top card of your deck. Draw the revealed card.

If I want to use this Enhance ability, do I play this card during the Enhance Step, from my hand stating that I want to use the Action side, and make a Control Check (difficulty 2)? Is the difficulty of this card affected by the number of cards in my card pool? Does this card then go in to my card pool once the control check is passed or is it discarded?
You play it like an action card, which means from your hand. If it has already been played as a foundation then you cannot play it as an action. But yes you would make a CC against the difficulty of the action side, and it would go to your cardpool. Think of splits as 2 card types in your hand, but once you play them you choose which side you are using and ignore the other side until the card leaves play.

3. Siberian Training

R: After your opponent plays an attack, reduce that attack's damage to 0. Only Playable if your opponent has more ready foundations than you do.

Assuming I can fulfil the ready foundations criteria, can I respond to any Attack my opponent makes by playing this from my hand and making a control check (difficulty 1)? Is the difficulty of this affected by the number of cards in my card pool? Does this card go in to my card pool once I successfully pass the control check, or is it discarded?Make a control check against 1 + progressive difficulty. So yes it is effected by the number of cards in your cardpool. And yes it does go to your cardpool. Foundations played as forms, attacks played as forms, actions played, and anything played as a block all remain in your cardpool until the end phase (there are even more card types such as assets and characters that also remain in your cardpool till end of turn. The only time an action/card played from hand does NOT go to the cardpool is when the cost of the card states otherwise. See proficient sniper or tag along which both state to remove them from the game

Apologies for the dumb questions, this is pretty different to any other TCG I've ever played so have picked the basics up quickly but the rest of it is throwing me a little :)

strawdonkey
11-16-2010, 07:33 AM
Excellent - thank you, that clears everything up nicely.

One final question:

Let's say I played Brazilian Heritage and Siberian Training on my opponent's turn during his combat phase. He ends his combat phase, and we start working our cards backwards to resolve blocks, etc.

Are the action cards simply discarded from the card pool with no effect at this point?

SMazzurco
11-16-2010, 07:56 AM
Excellent - thank you, that clears everything up nicely.

One final question:

Let's say I played Brazilian Heritage and Siberian Training on my opponent's turn during his combat phase. He ends his combat phase, and we start working our cards backwards to resolve blocks, etc.

Are the action cards simply discarded from the card pool with no effect at this point?

You resolve blocks AS they happen. When he "ends" his combat phase he just clears his cardpool.
But yeah, during the end phase actions are just discarded (again unless card text states otherwise)

strawdonkey
11-16-2010, 07:58 AM
My bad - thanks for all your help, much appreciated!