PDA

View Full Version : Patriot Games

SMazzurco
11-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Ok, maybe this is just a textual oversight, but maybe i found something here.

Patriot Games text (verbatim)
After this card is added to your staging area, first you, then your opponent name 1 non-character card. No copies of the named cards may be readied.

ok, other cards sometimes have text "as long as this card is in your staging area". If patriot games leaves your staging area, does it's effect still stick around?

If so, lol. I think this is a textual oversight, and maybe somewhere in the AGR it will make this clear, otherwise maybe it needs an errata or maybe i am just being too picky.

I have found so many shennanigans building dariya it is rediculous...lol

JinKazama
11-19-2010, 01:36 PM
I dont think any abilities float past the turn they were removed from the staging area. see Jin.

Shinguyi
11-19-2010, 02:23 PM
I think this is an actual oversight in the text. Jin specifically says for the rest of this turn but this one doesn't say while its face up on Staging Area (like Lynette's Shop). Closest thing that can go against it is this:

2.10 Continuous Abilities
Abilities that are not preceded by a bold face term and colon are continuous abilities. Continuous abilities
are always active.
2.10.1 Continuous abilities are found in a card’s text box.
2.10.2 In the case of the application of multiple continuous abilities, the player whose turn it
currently is applies theirs in any order they choose, and then their opponent applies theirs
in any order they choose.
2.10.3 Continuous abilities may reference a specific game event. The ability will only begin
resolving once that event takes place. (For example, if a continuous ability states “After
your opponent plays an attack, draw 1 card.” The player will only draw 1 card due to this
continuous ability after the event of their opponent playing an attack takes place.)

Has to do with the specific event to happen for the ability to occur, which happens when it is added to the Staging Area. Only thing to support the constant effect is this:

2.13.1 After the generation of an effect, it exists independently of its source. Destruction or
removal of the source after that time won’t affect the ability.

Most likely an errata will take place. Thinking about that one makes me think back to ::Cervantes:: and all the shenanigans he may be able to do with that Asset (such as ::Cervantes:: with US Air Base).

SMazzurco
11-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Stun opponent out.
Use multiple tower of souls.
Point and laugh at your opponent.

Shinguyi
11-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Not just that, after throwing one down into the Staging area, play a second one and boom the one already in the staging area. You just messed up two foudnations. And then go all out with Tower of Souls.

We need more official ruling on this thing. ^^;

dutpotd
11-19-2010, 05:32 PM
We need more official ruling on this thing. ^^;

Its the only standard card I don't have access to, it is the only standard card that is a split... Hmmm, the ruling is that it is banned? Kidding! I actually think Sal is right about the ruling on this, not that it is going to be abused, because of the fact your opponent is also naming a card - and - most standard decks don't rely on a single or set of non-character staging area cards to win matches.

- dut

madeofwin
11-20-2010, 02:38 AM
patriot games was originally designed to deal with serious problem stuff like chesters backing and olcadan's mentoring, shame they got banned before we finally received our copies of it :( as stated above it only locks down cards while its in the staging area as this game has no real concept of card memory so once it leaves play the game forgets which cards were targeted by it, for example in legacy you couldn't play patriot games out of victor and keep re-animating it to lock out your opponents entire board, that would just be utterly insane and potentially game breaking and no-one wants that.

dutpotd, if you want some patriot games let me know and i'll check your trades :)