PDA

View Full Version : New player Void deck

Magnusotls
12-01-2010, 04:24 AM
thread titles says it all. Although I have read that void isn't necessarily any good in type 2, I am going to try and play it competitively because I like the element the best :> The three characters which I haven't decided on are Algol, Rashotep or Nina. I like the control elements that the latter two build around, but algol seems like the easiest for a beginner to play. Someone give me the big skinny as to if I am shooting myself in the foot for playing one of these characters.

JinKazama
12-01-2010, 08:33 AM
I'd say you are I personally believe the Nina can be built competitively, and that void is the best symbol to do that off of but I takes a really good player to pilot her right. Algol just isn't competitive, and Rashotep could work but Iv'e always seen him as more of as sandbagging option.

SMazzurco
12-01-2010, 08:47 AM
As a player who has built countless algols, ya, he sucks.

NJBrock22
12-01-2010, 08:57 AM
he may suck... but hey why not TRY, just as a learner's tool, also if you're willing to play old dogs new tricks format and just use any void character, that opens options a lot, even just sticking with Extended's characters, but really you could idunno play KING off Void if ya wanna give someone their first ever deck.

N.J.

SMazzurco
12-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Algol is fun but IMO a lot of interactions for a new player...assuming he can last past like T2/3

For old dogs new tricks i did Starter Sakura (off All however) but she was lots of fun and could be a lot of fun off void

NJBrock22
12-01-2010, 09:34 AM
nah Starter Haohmaru > Starter Sakura off Void

N.J.

SMazzurco
12-01-2010, 09:43 AM
nah Starter Haohmaru > Starter Sakura off Void

N.J.

Honestly haven't looked at him much (got into this game pretty late), and have always been more a SF fan than a SS fan...ever since i was in high school and the judge belittled me in SS2

Trip Se7ens
12-01-2010, 10:20 AM
I think void is one of the hardest symbols to play, and with that, not as rewarding at this given time. But of you were to go with one of those three, I would suggest, probably, Nina. Maybe side into king?

SMazzurco
12-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Lizardman can be pretty sexy in void...

but maybe not the "simplest"...then again, either is Nina

RockStar
12-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Lizardman can be pretty sexy in void...

but maybe not the "simplest"...then again, either is Nina

This. Was going to suggest Lizardman. I think he's actually quite straightforward to build and play. Give him a try.

Magnusotls
12-01-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm very happy that there is actually a community to reply to this. I am going to go ahead with the Rashotep for now as it is alot less costly than the nina build I have in mind. I don't mind the difficulty curve, Ive played other card games for a long time.

Trip Se7ens
12-01-2010, 11:51 AM
If you're going with Rashotep, may I recommend a death throw build instead? :)

SMazzurco
12-01-2010, 12:16 PM
I'm very happy that there is actually a community to reply to this. I am going to go ahead with the Rashotep for now as it is alot less costly than the nina build I have in mind. I don't mind the difficulty curve, Ive played other card games for a long time.

Also Rasho is very good at "disrupting" the opponent. A very mind game mess with your opponents head type of character (then again so is Nina).

Whereabouts are you from? Is there a local playgroup near you?

Trip Se7ens
12-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Sal is going to e-stalk you! WATCH OUT!!!

dutpotd
12-01-2010, 01:10 PM
I think you should build Rashotep and then try either Kisheri or Cassandra to determine the differences between 6 and 7hs void.

- dut

SMazzurco
12-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Sal is going to e-stalk you! WATCH OUT!!!

E-stock? :):):):), i'll be out front with a camcorder

EscarcegaGuy
12-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Why the hate on Rashotep? I personally like him. In your build definitely put his asset in there. If you already have a deck in mind, then build it, if not I can help you out with it. I like him and would be more than happy to help you out.

Magnusotls
12-02-2010, 01:27 AM
In Sacramento CA. There is a playgroup at my store, atleast one of them is a regular on here.

RockStar
12-02-2010, 01:32 AM
In Sacramento CA. There is a playgroup at my store, atleast one of them is a regular on here.

Would that be Sean Toysa aka Tadar Salad?

Magnusotls
12-02-2010, 02:22 AM
This is the unfinished frame I have going right now. I will order the cards when I think it is done. Give me specific criticism :I

2 bracers of horus and set
2 dead for 1000 years
4 ka technique
4 master of magic
4 strength of ages
4 undisputed ruler
4 mexican sensation
3 professional bodyguard
4 man behind the mask
4 beyond humanity
4 chasing the power

4 Eltanin nath
4One handed crocodile grasp
4 Alphard maliki
4 Flooded nile thow

Magnusotls
12-02-2010, 02:22 AM
Would that be Sean Toysa aka Tadar Salad?

ya :/

RockStar
12-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Cool dude, that one! Hurry up and build a Sac-Town player base, would ya? When the PTC rolls around to Epic Adventure Games in June, we would love to be able to host at least 5+ players from your area! :)

Tader_Salad
12-06-2010, 03:21 AM
My suggestion would be instead of Master of Magic to turn your attacks into blank foundations use Body of Souls to keep getting them back. For the most part throws always do damage and go to momentum, so you can bring them back every turn with Body of Souls.

dutpotd
12-06-2010, 10:58 AM
This is the unfinished frame I have going right now. I will order the cards when I think it is done. Give me specific criticism :I

2 bracers of horus and set
2 dead for 1000 years
4 ka technique
4 master of magic
4 strength of ages
4 undisputed ruler
4 mexican sensation
3 professional bodyguard
4 man behind the mask
4 beyond humanity
4 chasing the power

4 Eltanin nath
4One handed crocodile grasp
4 Alphard maliki
4 Flooded nile thow

You should try to get Paid to Protect in here if possible. There are a few other defensive cards that I'd look for in a Void deck like Rashotep, Valued but not Trusted, War Between Sisters, Controller of Souls, etc.

In general you lack card draw, which is counterintuitive to using cards like professional bodygaurd and mexican sensation. With regards to the latter going to 3 of it would be my suggestion because of just that, not enough cards to use more than a few times offensively and it doesn't commit so you can use the same one on more than one attack. There are a few ways to draw cards with Void, some in Algol's support, and some in the Quest for Souls set - definately take a look at them and figure out what fits well with your theme here.

You don't need to try these suggestions out immediately though. Part of building a good deck is to try out what you like and what you think will go well in a deck and then to go from there. I see some synergy in this deck that I like and I;m sure it will perform ok for a first draft.

- dut

Magnusotls
12-13-2010, 03:07 AM
My first control >= 3 deck idea, plays alot safer on turn 1 :/

Nina Williams
Rashotep

4 Close throw
4 Dark geo da ray
4 Spinning demon
4 Flooded nile throw

4 undisputed ruler
4 ancient fighting style
4 mishima zaibatsu leader
4 man behind the mask
3 dead for 100 years
3 jealously guarded secret
3 body of souls
3 fatherly love
2 controller of souls
4 genius alchemist
4 ka technique
4 chasing the power

And this is the Rashotep build as I will build it, before I probably realize I should be playing King.

Rashotep
4 one-handed crocodile grasp
4 alphard maliki
4 king’s reverse ddt
4 flinging half nelson

3 bracers of horus and set
4 man behind the mask
4 beyond humanity
4 chasing the power
4 ancient fighting style
3 trained by the best
2 dead for 1000 years
4 Mexican sensation
4 body of souls
3 fatherly love
4 genius alchemist
4 undisputed ruler

vaporgecko
12-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Rashotep:

Disregard!
You may consider Father's Tragedy in place of Fatherly Love. That way you can go all in on your turn, and draw up to replenish if your opponent plays an attack. Over all I think that'll help you out more then randomly fishing for cards.

Lose Beyond Humanity for a set of Ka Technique or Valued But Not Trusted. Beyond Humanity is nice when it happens but you could go games without it actually helping you out. Ka Technique can be used offensively or defensively (on a half block/throw) and Valued But Not Trusted is just plan good. Remember, you can name ANY card with VBNT, including the current attack, your anything in your opponent's staging area or momentum (all copies of them even!), and even cards in their hand if you happen to know they have an Enhance action they want to play.

Otherwise, you seem to be running well.

*EDITED - Because Sal read the damn card.*

SMazzurco
12-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Father's Tragedy is only playable during your attack btw.