PDA

View Full Version : Zhao Daiyu Standard

Sato Arashi
12-02-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm basically drafting up an agressive control deck with a character that has been used less. I think she has a good ability theme, just not much out of the other sets to go with her. This is a fusion pretty much of all three symbols, mostly Death. Give me some thoughts/suggestions on how to improve the deck for her to be competative.

Characters: 1
1x Zhao Daiyu

Actions: 7
4x Ritual Magic
3x Proficient Sniper

Attacks: 20
4x Two Deadly Rings Technique
4x Twilight Embrace
4x Ancient Ensnaring Sleeve Technique
4x Dark Bite
4x Leg Slash

Foundations: 33
4x Intimidating Presence
4x Body Transformed
4x All Life is Prey
4x Treacherous Offspring
3x Forbidden Lore
4x The Twilight Witch
4x Chasing After the Power
3x Beacon of Evil

Sideboard: 8
4x Soul Wave•
4x Invoking the Ancients

JinKazama
12-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Leg slash or spinning demon instead of crushing or Backhand

I like this deck. I dunno what No mercy or ritual magic do though.
are forbidden lore and twilight witch more useful than intimidating presence and all life is prey?
maybe you could replace No mercy with valued but not trusted or heir to the storm.
scroll of the abyss would make a good side board option.

Sato Arashi
12-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Rather than taking Crushing or Backhand Slash, I was hoping to boost the attacks to 20 cards having two playsets of low attacks and mid attacks to combo for Twilight Embrace, but I don't know what to take out for the better choice.

Twilight Witch and Forbidden Lore are useful for Zhao Daiyu at the very least. True that Intimidating Presence and All Life is Prey are better cards overall, but the focus of the deck goes for more of the control side as Zhao's R ability will be the most played ability. Without those, the only cards that removes cards off of the opponent is Proficient Sniper, Twilight Embrace twice if sucessful, and Two Deadly Ring twice possibly if sucessful.

Ritual Magic plays a very important stategy with Zhao at which at the cost of 2 vit, until the beginning of my next turn, it removes the top card of the opponent's deck whenever one of my abilities makes them remove a card. Because there's two seperate abilities going off, I can use Zhao's R twice, making them lose 4 vit. Plus it makes your opponent's vit gain be negated and they lose the vit instead, good against Tira. It is a 4 diff 4 CC action with no block.

No Mercy is Cervante's card at which it is a R Commit, whenever your opponent makes a control check, I make one, and the card or ability your opponent plays is equal to my control check made by the ability. A control hack basically, but it does not end the Combat Phase. It is a 3 diff with 5 CC, no blocks.

If the control hack doesn't work, then I'll go ahead and do Value. Heir is also good but like the case with Presence and Prey, I'd rather have No Mercy over it. Scroll would be nice except the Evil ability only affects my control check, not the opponent's.

LuchaHeroAl
12-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Protip: Twilight Embrace combo leads into Destruction in His Wake combo.

Sato Arashi
12-02-2010, 11:06 PM
True, that looks good but I don't know if I can play it during Twilight Embrace for the E, then after the attack resolves, I can play the F on it. Would be nice to have a ruling there.

LuchaHeroAl
12-03-2010, 01:49 AM
You can only do one or the other but you want to aim for the form.

billyarnoss
12-03-2010, 04:21 AM
I think you should drop no mercy, seeing as you have no way of knowing your own checks; perhaps for communing or unknown son? Even if you don't think you can hit the combo in Destruction in his wake, the +3 dam is often useful. I would drop at least 1 ritual magic and try to fit a couple of destruction in if possible. Flooded-nile might work better than either backhand or crushing embrace. Of course this will all change when RH comes out. Sugar and spice + Twilight Witch / forbidden lore could be fun (especially if you dual symbol some quick exits into your deck), and Lily may have more support along those lines.

JinKazama
12-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Protip: Twilight Embrace combo leads into Destruction in His Wake combo.

That combo is extra hard to pull off when the only card draw in death is contemplating. +3 damage is good, but heir to the strom is better and makes all life better. If anything I'd say replace ritual magic with power of the edge.

Twilight Witch and Forbidden Lore are useful for Zhao Daiyu at the very least. True that Intimidating Presence and All Life is Prey are better cards overall, but the focus of the deck goes for more of the control side as Zhao's R ability will be the most played ability. Without those, the only cards that removes cards off of the opponent is Proficient Sniper, Twilight Embrace twice if sucessful, and Two Deadly Ring twice possibly if sucessful.

The reason I suggested I presence and all life is because the deck works better when based around Twilight Embrace instead of being built around Zhao. You'll be able to limit your opponents staging area making it more difficult for them to attack you and also more difficult for them to block your attack, maniacal laughter also helps.

billyarnoss
12-03-2010, 10:15 AM
The reason I suggested I presence and all life is because the deck works better when based around Twilight Embrace instead of being built around Zhao. You'll be able to limit your opponents staging area making it more difficult for them to attack you and also more difficult for them to block your attack, maniacal laughter also helps.

That's a fair point. If you did want to take it down that road you could also throw in any Knight breakers you have... even without playing twilight's combo enhance, a string of deadly rings > twilight > breaker would be nasty.

LuchaHeroAl
12-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Also if you can get the Wonderworld asset it would be worth it to dual or even solo off Evil. Evil might work better for her anyway.

KodiakZero
12-08-2010, 02:06 AM
Destruction in his Wake :D Not as hard to pull off on any of her 3 symbols. Easier of Chaos though because of First Execution Tech.

JinKazama
12-08-2010, 07:37 AM
I meant difficult to draw into, but chaos is her only symbol with more than one drawing card.

tannerface
12-08-2010, 04:37 PM
I agree with the mexican, evil would deffinitly be the best choice if only to play harnessing chaos. Cause that card just goes so well with twilight embrace. You don't even have to play the combo with it, you could just HC into twilight and remove two. You can also use power of the edge if you wanted to. It may even be posible to take all the control from both evil and death.

Sato Arashi
12-09-2010, 12:57 AM
Made a complete make-up on the deck by going all evil, save Proficient Sniper as that is like the irreplacable card for Zhao.