PDA

View Full Version : Lily, a further look into RH

NJBrock22
01-17-2011, 06:22 AM
And ladies and gentlemen we're back for part 3 of this review of the Red Horizon's first set, today we'll look into Lily who from what I can tell is a Cowgirl and a Bounty Hunter who is able to charge energy into her Pistol and Sawed Off Shotgun combo called "Sugar & Spice", as of right now little else is known about her. First time i saw a picture of her i said this is the character i want to play, i really didn't care what she did but i wanted to play her the day she was spoiled i must say she is an amazing character and synergizes VERY well with a character from earlier in this current block of the game, let us take a more detailed look at her and we'll see what i mean.

Lily(Character)
[Death, Order, Water]
Hand: 6
Vitality: 26
First F: Destroy 1 foundation: Your opponent must add 1 foundation from their staging area to their card pool.
E: Commit 1 foundation: Your attack gets +X Damage. X equals the number of foundations in your opponent's card pool.

She has a 6 hand size with 26 vitality, [Death], [Order] & [Water] as resources which is a rather interesting spread when it comes to what she does, [Order] is primarily a general control ability with lots of card draw or other zone retrieval; [Death] has been well known for being a lot of board and hand control with some beefy yet very restrictive attacks; and [Water] has been well known for keeping the card pool clean OR clogging it up and having some multiples in it. The abilities is where she really starts to look like a re-print of an earlier character, that being Lu Chen2, but when you look at her she has her own little uniqueness, the Form for the cost of destroying one of your own foundations your opponent takes one of their foundations and places it into their card pool. Now this may seem to be a weaker version of what Lu Chen does and to an extent it is but also consider that she has [Death] which gives you a lot of nice "if you destroyed a foundation" tricks to use to combine with this, as well as she has Lu Chen's cards to tap into with [Water] to punish her opponent for having foundations in their card pool. The Enhance is the OTHER reason this ability is good, for the cost of commiting a foundation you give your attack a damage bonus equal to the number of foundations in your opponent's card pool, now if you time it right this can mean not only are your attacks hard to block as they have a lot of foundations in their card pool but you ALSO get to give your attack fairly good damage boost, not a bad ability if i do say so, good to see a character that synergizes on the opponent blocking too often with foundations, looking at you Lizardman4 & 3.

Bar Fight(Action)
[Death, Order, Water]
R: Destroy 1 foundation: After your attack deals 5 or more damage, add 1 card from your opponent's staging area to their card pool.
R: After your attack deals damage, your opponent must add 1 foundation from their discard pile to their card pool.
Diff: 4 Control: 4

Showdown(Action)
[Death, Evil, Order]
Block: +3H
R: After you block with this card, commit 2 foundations in your opponent's staging area.
R: Commit 2 foundations: After your opponent plays an ability of an action card, discard it and cancel it's effects.
Diff: 3 Control: 4

Her Actions are very interesting to say the least, her first one Bar Brawl, for the cost of destroying a foundation AND an attack dealing at least 5 damage you get to chose any card(not including characters) in your opponent's staging area and add it to their card pool, this works just like Lu Chen would do and rather than commiting down or flipping a card in your opponent's staging area they LOSE this card at the end of the turn. Brawl's other ability is a similar one however it's from their discard pile and still clogs their card pool up, the Ashura Senku from the Dark Path set did almost the same thing back about 10 sets ago. Showdown, well is an amazing defensive card as it allows you to tap down 2 foundations in your opponents staging are after you block with this card, which this is a +3 High block so it may be a little hard to do. The other ability allows you to by commiting 2 foundations negate the effects and playing of any action card; this card will probably remind a lot of people of Kung Fu Training from back in the Domination set(or set 9 as most call it) this has 3 differences, one it stays in your card pool and clogs the pool up, two it is a 4 check instead of that lovely 5 check KFT had and thus also has a 3 difficulty compared to the 2 diff of KFT, and three it only shares ONE symbol with the original KFT which is [Evil] , which WHY it has [Evil] is beyond me, as I'm pretty sure we do not need to give 6 symbols almost universal action negation like back in the day ever again.

Sugar and Spice(Asset)[Unique]
[Death, Order, Water]
Block: +2M
F: Commit: Your opponent chooses 1 foundation in their discard pile and adds it to their card pool.
Lily R: Commit, discard 1 attack: Before destroying a foundation to pay for the cost of an ability, commit it instead. This foundation still counts as being destroyed for the purposes of the ability's cost.
Diff: 3 Control: 5

Her weapon gives her 2 fairly good options, first it can by commiting as a form make your opponent take a foundation from their discard pile and place it into their card pool, this is a good ability if you do not want to destroy a foundation for your form and just want any foundation in their card pool to clog it up. The second ability as a response for Lily only by discarding a card and commiting, you get to commit the foundation you would have destroyed as a cost for an ability, and it still counting as being destroyed for the ability, this is an amazing ability that gives you multiple uses out of your First Form over multiple turns as long as you have an attack to discard for it.

Blazing Storm(Ranged)
[Death, Order, Water]
Block: +1H
SZD: 4H6
[Water] E: Your opponent must add 1 foundation from their staging area to their card pool.
E(5+): This attack gets +X damage. X equals the number of ranged attacks in your card pool.
Diff: 5 Control: 2

Bullet Barrage(Ranged)[Reversal]
[Death, Order, Water]
SZD: 4L4
Skip this attack's Enhance Step.
If this attack deals damage, your opponent must add 1 card from their discard pile to their card pool.
Diff: 4 Control: 3

Double Tap(Kick)[Multi: 1]
[Life, Order, Water]
Block: +3M
SZD: 2L5
Only playable if you have played at least 1 other attack this turn.
E: Commit 1 foundation: Add 1 card from your hand to your momentum.
Diff: 5 Control: 3

Hair Trigger(Ranged)
[Death, Order, Water]
Block: +1M
SZD: 2H2
E: If this attack deals damage, your next ranged attack this turn gets +4 damage.
Diff: 2 Control: 3

Mug Shot(Ranged)[Reversal][Combo: Ranged]
[Death, Order, Water]
Block: +1H
SZD: 3M2
Combo E: Both players add the top card of their deck to their momentum.
E: If this attack deals damage, both players lose 2 vitality
Diff: 3 Control: 3

Reload(Weapon)
[Death, Order, Water]
Block: +2H
SZD: 4H2
E: If this attack deals damage, your opponent must add 1 foundation from their discard pile to their card pool.
Diff: 3 Control: 3

Rowdy Bunch(Ranged)[Multi: 2]
[Death, Order, Water]
SZD: 4M5
You may only play this card if you have played at least 1 other attack this turn.
E: This attack gets +1 speed for every card in your opponent's card pool.
Diff: 6 Control: 3

Her first attack Blazing Storm, which should be Blazing Storm** btw, gives water the ability continue to clog their opponent's card pool up as well as if you are playing a mostly ranged attack deck it will give itself a damage bonus equal to the ranged attacks in your card pool, the drawback to the card the nasty 2 check, but outside of that overall solid card. Her Second attack Bullet Barrage, is one of a few No Enhance Step attacks that we will see in Red Horizon, what's this one's gimmick? If it deals any damage your opponent must place 1 card from their discard pile into their card pool, this will allow you to clog your opponent's card pool up early and often, it also starts at an amazing 4 Low 4 which considering its 4 difficulty and has a 3 check, amazing, did i mention it was also a Reversal. Double Tap is an odd one it's only playable if you've played another attack this turn and it can net you a free momentum from your hand as an enhance, the oddity is it has Life as it's resource, something Life may not need at the moment but i digress, and it's enhance also feeds it's multiple ability. Hair Trigger is a fairly welcome "Poke" attack for this set as it gives your next ranged attack +4 damage if it deals damage and is a 2 difficulty attack, a very nice card to throw onto the end of a build turn. Mug Shot I'm kinda torn on, it nets you and your opponent a momentum if you fulfilled it's combo requirement of having a ranged attack preceding it, but it also has an enhance that makes both players lose 2 vitality if it deals damage... this can be good if you're in a last ditch effort to take your opponent out OR maybe if you want to get into desperation ASAP but I've never wanted to do that... so moving on. Reload is another of the many card pool clogging cards from her set, this time it is a 3/3 attack and has 2 damage and forces your opponent to put a foundation from their discard pile to their card pool upon it dealing damage, not much else to say here. Finally we have Rowdy Bunch, which is kinda a semi-finisher for her as it gets a speed boost for every card in her opponent's card pool which considering her cards are clogging the opponent's card pool this will get unblockable in a hurry, it also sports a nice Multiple 2 and 4 mid 5 damage add in a few damage pumps and you should take your opponent down with this, the only draw back is you must have played at least 1 other attack this turn, but that should not be a big problem.

Competitive Nature(Foundation)
[Death, Order, Water]
R: Commit, lose 2 vitality: After your opponent plays an ability that modifies control checks, cancel its effects. Your next control check this turn gets -2.
[Order] F: Destroy this foundation: Each player may add 1 foundation they could normally play from their hand to their staging area ready.
Diff: 2 Control: 5

Guidance(Foundation)
[Death, Order, Water]
Block: +3L
First E: Commit: Your [Death] and [Order] attack gets +X Damage. X equals the total number of cards in your opponent's card pool.
E: Commit: Your [Water] attack gets +1 Speed and +1 Damage.

Into the Sunset(Foundation)
[Death, Order, Water]
Block: +2M
E: Commit: Your attack gets +1 Speed for every foundation in your opponent's card pool.
Desperation E: Commit: Commit 1 foundation in your opponent's staging area.
Diff: 1 Control: 5

Juggle(Foundation)
[Air, Order, Water]
E: Commit: Add this card to your momentum. Your opponent may add 1 foundation from their staging area to their momentum to cancel this effect.
E: Your attack gets +1 Damage. Only playable if there is a foundation in your opponent's card pool
Diff: 1 Control: 5

Reward(Foundation)
[Death, Order, Water]
E: Commit, Commit 1 foundation: Return this attack to it's printed damage.
Diff: 3 Control: 5

You Are Not Alone(Foundation)
[Life, Order, Water]
R: Commit: After your opponent plays an ability that would remove a card from your staging area, you may add 1 foundation from your hand to your staging area ready.
E: Commit: This [Chaos], [Fire] or [Life] attack gets -3 Speed(min 1).

8 Seconds(Foundation)
[Death, Order, Water]
[Water] F: Commit: Turn all face down cards in your opponent's card pool face up.
[Water] E: Commit, discard 1 momentum: Discard all face down cards from your card pool.

Competitive Nature is a more balanced form of control check hacking without being too over the top and actually has a backlash effect if it doesn't work out to well for ya as you're getting -2 to your next check for each you use as well as paying 2 vitality per use, the other ability is a more balanced form of Budhist's Devotion as it allows each player to drop a foundation they could normally play from their hand to their staging area, not bad. Guidance allows ya two different options depending on the deck type you are running, you can either give your [Death][Order] attack +X damage where X is the number of cards in your opponent's card pool as a First E OR you can give your [Water] attack +1 speed and +1 damage, not a bad card at all. Into the sunset is a very nice card indeed as it gives a speed pump to your attack for each foundation in your opponents card pool OR you can commit it while in desperation to lock down any foundation you want, it may be a slightly weaker version of Hope For One's people but it does have 2 different uses unlike HfoP does. Juggle gives you a few options, it can either give itself to your momentum thus giving you momentum to work with OR your opponent may negate it by adding a foundation from their staging area to their momentum, in which case they have lost a foundation which is the point of a good control deck; OR it can give your attack a free +1 damage if your opponent has a foundation in their card pool, this is a 1/5 with a block, not a bad foundation at all. Reward is a nice card as it for the cost of itself and another foundation can reset the damage of an attack to it's printed value, would have prefered this to be more like Holding Ground and be a Response but i can handle this one. You Are Not Alone gives [Life] and [Water] and now [Order] a way to keep their staging area somewhat intact after your opponent would destroy cards in your staging area, by allowing you to play 1 from your hand to your staging area ready, not bad; it also gives the CURRENT top 3 symbols [Chaos], [Fire] & [Life] a swift kick in the balls by as an enhance reducing their attack by 3 speed(min 1), not bad at all. Finally we have 8 seconds, this card is really only usable by [Water] characters and if your opponent is running multiples or you are using any abilities to add cards face down to their card pool you can use the first ability on this to flip them and start giving even more damage bonuses to your attacks or speed pumps if foundations are revealed; the other ability allows you to discard all face downs from your card pool, which if you can combo this with any other face down card shenanigans you could just continuously clog your opponents card pool and continue to wail on them as long as you want.

Now let us make a deck for her I'm split between [Order] and [Water] i may just dual symbol for this deck and pray for the best... nah I'll go with water for now but I'm convinced any version of her should do outstandingly well let us look at the water build for her.

Lily[Death, Order, Water]

Action(4)
Showdown[Death, Order] x4 3/4 +3H

Assets(3)
Sugar & Spice[Death, Order, Water] x3 3/5 Unique +2M

Attacks(20)
Blazing Storm[Death, Order, Water] x4 5/2 4H6 Ranged +1H
Bullet Barrage[Death, Order, Water] x4 4/3 4L4 Ranged Reversal
Hair Trigger[Death, Order, Water] x4 2/3 2H2 Ranged +1M
Reload[Death, Order, Water] x4 3/3 4H2 Weapon +2H
Rowdy Bunch[Death, Order, Water] x4 6/3 4M5 Ranged Multi: 2

Foundations(32)
Competitive Nature[Death, Order, Water] x4 2/5
Guidance[Death, Order, Water] x4 2/5 +3L
Into the Sunset[Death, Order, Water] x4 1/5 +2M
Juggle[Order, Water] x4 1/5 +3M
Know when to Talk[Water] x4 1/5 +3L
Recon[Water] x4 2/5 +3M
Relaxing Model[Water] x4 2/5 +3H
You Are Not Alone[Order, Water] x4 2/5

lemme know what you guys think, doing Miska next

Shinguyi
01-17-2011, 06:40 AM
She can abuse Flexible Body so much with that asset... I'm still really scared of her. ^^;

Bloodrunstrue
01-17-2011, 09:41 AM
You're on fire with these articles NJ o_0

Keep it up! :D

Lono
01-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Showdown has Death, Evil, Order. It doesn't have Water.

In your block describing the foundations you say Reward resets speed, but I'm sure you meant damage.

I would go back to breaking down each card separately, like you did Eva. It felt like you went more in depth with each card.

Sigil_Flintlock
01-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Showdown fooled me too... The text spoiler on coolstuff says it has water, but the actual card image has evil. Looks like Lily's only symbol on all of her cards is order. Anyhow, these write-ups are an interesting read, despite all the brainstorming I've already been doing after seeing Lily's cards.

NJBrock22
01-17-2011, 08:11 PM
Showdown has Death, Evil, Order. It doesn't have Water.

In your block describing the foundations you say Reward resets speed, but I'm sure you meant damage.

I would go back to breaking down each card separately, like you did Eva. It felt like you went more in depth with each card.

are you sure it's d, e, o... *looks at card on csi* DAMMIT!!!!!!!, grrr k fixing. Only problem with me breaking them down separately is it screws up my train of thought hence why i've done it this way for the rest.

N.J.

Shinguyi
01-17-2011, 10:11 PM
are you sure it's d, e, o... *looks at card on csi* DAMMIT!!!!!!!, grrr k fixing. Only problem with me breaking them down separately is it screws up my train of thought hence why i've done it this way for the rest.

N.J.

Why not first write done the actual review and then add the details of the cards?
Almost got all the Red Horizon card list with pictures up in the UFS Wiki in case you want to use it as reference: 12 foundations left.

Trip Se7ens
01-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Rapido, felix!