PDA

View Full Version : Making Marius Gaius work

B-Rad
06-27-2010, 09:22 PM
So in pondering what to build now that Astrid got nerfed and Potm King is gone, I stumbled accross MG and nearly died. Non commiting enhance? Free r? All i gotta do is clog my pool with actions ><

See that's the problem. I think it's possible offa fire, but I really want to find a way to do it with all, coupling Frantic Searches, Sacrafices for the Cause, and Fire Brand.

See I can go one of three routes:

The one big attack: Basically clog my pool with actions then throw a Fire Brand or Full Moon Disembowl at them. Only problem with this one is the wall of damage redux fire decks have atm, which is the most played deck archetype at the moment.

The monster multiple: This build would have to have a fire kill turn, as I'd clog my pool with actions (most prolly Mist Stances and then one Quick Strike), throw out a Fury of the Ancients, and using potentially Autumn's Kiss I'd have multiple 5 attacks that are HUGE! Only problem is getting the momentum.

The plinker: This is probably the hardest and most time consuming. Build build and build and then try to be Ivy and/or Christie by dropping 2-3 actions and plinking them for a lot. The drawback is it requires a heckuva lotta cards in my hand and on the table.

So ideas folks? Like I said I'd like to do this off All, but an All/Fire build is just as easy.

RockStar
06-27-2010, 10:29 PM
So in pondering what to build now that Astrid got nerfed and Potm King is gone, I stumbled accross MG and nearly died. Non commiting enhance? Free r? All i gotta do is clog my pool with actions ><

See that's the problem. I think it's possible offa fire, but I really want to find a way to do it with all, coupling Frantic Searches, Sacrafices for the Cause, and Fire Brand.

See I can go one of three routes:

The one big attack: Basically clog my pool with actions then throw a Fire Brand or Full Moon Disembowl at them. Only problem with this one is the wall of damage redux fire decks have atm, which is the most played deck archetype at the moment.

The monster multiple: This build would have to have a fire kill turn, as I'd clog my pool with actions (most prolly Mist Stances and then one Quick Strike), throw out a Fury of the Ancients, and using potentially Autumn's Kiss I'd have multiple 5 attacks that are HUGE! Only problem is getting the momentum.

The plinker: This is probably the hardest and most time consuming. Build build and build and then try to be Ivy and/or Christie by dropping 2-3 actions and plinking them for a lot. The drawback is it requires a heckuva lotta cards in my hand and on the table.

So ideas folks? Like I said I'd like to do this off All, but an All/Fire build is just as easy.

With regards to The One Big Attack... Seeking Perfection is your new best friend. :)

Omega
06-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Multiple big attacks, to where any one of them isn't necessarily lethal, but extremely crippling.

Mist Stance -> Quick Strike -> Full Moon -> Quick Strike -> Full Moon

Looking for a Thrill helps, same with Seeking Perfection. I'd say that Fire Brand.strategy may not work that well, since Torn Hero counters it absolutely (since you're relying upon Marius to be able to go off), and is totally reliant on the number of cards you can draw. Then again, you can always use Relentless to draw, and the other Astrid card whose name I forget for recursion. =/

Consider this as well: Quick Strike -> Hammer of the Gods -> Turn Thruster -> Toughest in the Universe. Provides a native 5M7, followed by an attack that is AT LEAST a 5H13. Truthfully, you're better off stunning them out and then beating the living piss out of them with whatever. Yeah, they can tap down Gaius with Torn Hero, but at that point it doesn't matter, because you don't need your character to begin with. He's just icing on the cake.

BOOM

(personally, I think that Marius is better off of Earth, abusing Ready to Launch for lulz)

Bloodrunstrue
06-28-2010, 01:49 AM
Just be wary that you're going to need a lot of draw cards. As a 6HS and being reliant on several actions you're going to get clogged hands so expect to mulligan about 1/3 opening hands...... also being action relaint means you're probably killing by T3 at the earliest.

just some basic fundamentals to consider.
Bloodrunstrue.

ATLDrew
06-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Another thing you can try Brad is the Clash of the Ages build we had going. Anytime your opponent bashes into a readied Marius you get clash into like Hammer of the God + Marius e/r to recur it. Makes attack into the Roman very difficult. Also, toughest in the universe is really really good when you ALWAYS it. I like mist in this deck, but the way we were building was a defensive fire deck that just made your opponent miserable while they were on offenses and killed you with a standard fire chain (hammer/launcher/breaker or wheel/lifter/phoenix smasher). Let me know if that works for you.