PDA

View Full Version : Changing Characters

Baranor
06-28-2010, 10:48 AM
In the roughly 4 years of UFS, we have had exactly 1 card that allows you to switch characters mid-game. With all of the VS two person fighters like Marvel VS Capcom and the like, shouldn't that be more of a strategy? Here Comes a New Challenger was a good idea, but really amounted to simple shtick rather than good strategy. What if characters had an ability called Tag-In that only activated when they entered play during a match?

Key problem: Vitality totals are different.

Solved by maintaining vitality total independent of character. If you bring in a new vitality character, your vitality total remains the same. If the new character has less max vitality than your current vitality, your vitality resets to their max. It's the risk you take to get the tag-in ability or the new character's abilities.

Key bonuses:
Characters for the most part cost 6 which is super high. You could simply re-write the rule to state that if a character is played as a Form that does not match your current character, that character is Tagged-In and replaces your current character during the end phase.

You could have cards like this:
Dragged Into the Ring
Action
3/4
F Commit Your Character: Search your opponent's deck for a character that does not match their current character and replace their character.

Tag Team
Action
5/2
R: After your new character tags in, discard cards from the top of your deck until you reveal an attack. Play that attack. (No control check necessary). This card and the attack played remain in your card pool until your next ready phase and may not be discarded by your card effects.

Thoughts?

Lono
06-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Well, the thing about changing characters is that in UFS, you build decks around a character. To then switch it mid game, has to mean that the character emphasizes another aspect of the original characters strategy, or symbol in general. For instance, Water Yi Shan can't switch with Water Christie. They run two completely different strategies, and attacks. It would require about a set's worth of support to make characters and cards that could interact with each other, rather than get each others way. Not that I wouldn't want to see it. I think it would lead to some interesting stuff.

RockStar
06-28-2010, 05:54 PM
I hosted a Regional-esque tournament on May 22, and one of the players from Torrence, CA brought a deck that he advertised as "...the best Padma deck built. Ever...". The funny thing about my match with him (i won 2 - 1) was, he sided into a new starting character every game!

Game 1: Padma
Game 2: Tira
Game 3: Kisheri

Seriously, it was pretty amazing the kind of synergy he built into what i call his Death Symbol Deck (i refuse to call it a Padma deck). So, there ARE some decks that could benefit from a Tag-Style mechanic in Singles. It would just really need to be refined.

Lono
06-28-2010, 06:09 PM
That's true, but he used his sideboard right? I mean, Gloomy/Jolly are kinda wasted if you're not Tira. This is about switching characters mid-game, which is a lot trickier. Unless he didn't use a sideboard, then I'm impressed and I say kudos to that guy.