PDA

View Full Version : Reese, the final Touches on RH

NJBrock22
01-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Welcome to the final Character "Gems" Corner - Red Horizon Edition today we look into Reese who is from the little information I gathered a Bio-Engineered Man with similar abilities to that of Terry Bogard from King of Fighters, though he looks a bit more like a blend between Rock Howard and Soiree Meira but that's a different story.

Reese(Character)
[Air, All, Good]
Hand: 6
Vitality: 27
E: Discard 1 card: Discard 1 punch from your card pool. Only playable durring your turn.
R: Commit 1 foundation: After your punch deals damage, draw 1 card.

First thing I notice about him is he has [All] which has been the primary theme "Punch" resource and the "Draw" resource for UFS for a long time, and thus he has a "Punch" theme to him with a slight "draw" mechanic, he has [Air] & [Good] also which give him a few other tricks he can delve into; [Air] gives him some momentum generation and some speed boost; [Good] gives him Damage Redux which can help him but isn't necessary for most builds. His enhance which at first seems very restrictive is actually very good, discarding an unwanted card from your hand to get a card out of your card pool, though it must be a punch attack but that's STILL an amazing ability, as you can just keep the punches coming at your opponent if you time the attack chain just right. The Response allows you to refill your hand after you use your Enhance ability AND your punch deals damage for just the cost of 1 foundation commited. With a 6 hand, though you could be upwards of 10 hand with your ability and 27 vitality he can be a VERY fun character to play and could sneak up on people and be top tier with more punch support, he is a Beast in Extended, just saying.

Templar(Action)
[Air, All, Life]
Block: +1M[B: 1]
R: After you block an attack with this card, draw 2 cards and gain 2 vitality.
R: Commit 1 foundation: After your punch attack deals damage, discard it and this card from your card pool.
Diff: 3 Control: 5

Yes it's a UR, yes we know this, but for what it does would you WANT it to be a Common, really... blocking with it, giving your opponent +1 diff AND you draw 2 cards AND gain 2 vitality, yeah that's UR status right there. The Response is essentially another use of Reese's ability except costing a foundation commital rather than discarding a card, but hey you can clear 2 cards for one this way, and if any card is referring to you discarding cards from your card pool(looking at you Shredding Vibrato) this is your new favorite toy, (oh look it has [Life], just saying...).

Weapons Enthusiast(Action)
[Air, All, Life]
First F: Your punch attacks get +1 Speed and +1 Damage for the rest of this combat phase.
E: Return this attack's speed to it's printed value.

Not really much of a Rare as far as I'm concerned though the Enhance will see some use if you see a lot of speed boosts from your opponent, though I'd perfer it be a response and on an asset or foundation... wait we already have one nvm...

Enki Labs(Asset)[Terrain]
[Air, All, Life]
Block: +2M
While this card is in your staging area, players may not play asset cards.
F: Lose 3 vitality: Destroy this asset. Any player may play this ability. Playable while commited.
E: Commit: If your punch attack deals damage, draw 1 card.
Diff: 1 Control: 5

Well here we have the first Terrain that protects itself from being blown up... until you read the Form on it which allows it to be blown up by your opponent IF they pay 3 vitality to do so, granted you can do this yourself but why... The Enhance is miniscule at best compared to the rest of Reese's and all other punch support.

Ballista(Ranged)[Combo: Punch]
[Air, All, Good]
SZD: 3L4
Combo E: This attack gets +3 damage.
E: Discard 1 card: Chose 1 card in your card pool. For the rest of this turn that card does not count towards progressive difficulty.
Diff: 4 Control: 3

The Combo on this is one that is easy to pull off with his Punch support, 3L7 is nice to throw for only 5 difficulty and with the enhance you get a use out of Genius Alchemist w/o having it in play by making any card in your card pool not count towards prog difficulty, not much else can be said here... I just wish it was 3 diff...

Chivalry(Punch)
[Air, All, Good]
SZD: 3M3
E(4+): Ready 1 foundation in your staging area that has not been readied this Combat Phase.
Diff: 3 Control: 3

3M3 with a re-ready ability, not bad this is exactly a card Ivy7 players want to throw early and often as it will give you multiple uses out of your ability or even cards like Researching the Past and Genius Alchemist, I approve.

Gallant Defender(Punch)[U]
[All, Good, Life]
SZD: 4M4
E: Commit 1 foundation: If this attack deals damage, gain 3 vitality.

4M4 with gaining 3 vitality for it dealing damage AND a Reversal... yes, yes AND yes nice for 4 difficulty.

Gaunltet Fury(Punch)
[Air, All, Good]
Block: +2L
SZD: 2L4
E: If this attack deals damage, your next punch attack gets +2 Speed and +2 Damage.
Diff: 3 Control: 3

A nice lead off attack for any punch deck and even for Ivy7 as stated earlier with Chivalry, but hey 2L4 for only 3 difficulty and +2/+2 to your next punch if this deals damage... I'll take it.

Knight Wave(Punch)[Pow: 2]
[Air, All, Good]
Block: +1H[B: 2]
SZD: 5H5
Diff: 5 Control: 2

Blank attack for 5H5, it's essentially Upper Claw with a few differences, it has Breaker: 2 AND Powerful: 2, this is [Air], [All] & [Good]s equivalent to Upper Claw, maybe this should have a 1 check... nah 2 will do.

Sovereign's Glory(Ranged)
[Air, All, Life]
SZD: 3L7
E: This attack gets +X speed and +X damage. X equals the number of attacks discarded from your card pool this turn.
E: Discard 1 momentum: Draw 1 card.
Diff: 5[Reese D: 3] Control: 3

Remember what I was saying about discarding cards from your card pool was to your benefit? This is the reason, +X/+X where X equals the number of attacks discarded from the card pool AND Drawing 1 card for 1 momentum AND it starts at 3L7 for 5 difficulty(3 if Reese is in desperation) yeah it's a UR but for what it does it deserves it, it maybe should be a Reese ONLY but we'll see.

Valiant Assault(Punch)[Combo: Punch]
[Air, All, Good]
Block: +2H
SZD: 3H4
Combo E: Draw 2 cards.
E: If this attack deals damage, look at the top card of your deck. You may add that card to the bottom of your deck.

Another good card to keep your hand up if you want to keep using Reese's card pool cleaning ability, the enhance also allows you to semi-manipulate what you do next... reminds me a little bit of Jon Herr's card... 3H4 at 4 Difficulty not bad at all.

Directing an Empire(Foundation)
[Air, All, Order]
R: Commit, lose X Vitality: After your opponent's ready phase, commit 1 foundation in your opponent's staging area X equals half the difficulty of the foundation you commited with this ability(rounded up).

Here we have a more BALANCED version of Ring Veteran/Experienced Combatant, for losing Vitality you can lock down a card of difficulty X where X equals half the vitality you lost, which can give you a chance to lock down problem foundations on your opponents turn that you don't want to deal with... see damage and speed redux or boosters for the main ones.

Fearless(Foundation)
[Air, All, Good]
Block: +3M
R: Commit: After your opponent's attack deals damage, draw 1 card.
[Air] R: Commit: After you play a combo ability, your attack gets +2 damage.
Diff: 1 Control: 5

A 1/5 with a block that lets you draw a card for taking damage, not bad; one that allows you to give your attack +2 damage for using a Combo Ability, yes please.

Hand of a Tyrant(Foundation)
[Air, All, Good]
[Air] E: Destroy this foundation: Ready your Character.
Reese E: Your punch attack gets +1 Speed.
Diff: 2 Control: 5

Hey it's an [Air] only version of Quick Exit I like it, yes it can only target your character but that will help a lot. The Reese E gives your attack +1 Speed for FREE, yes please.

Made for Speed(Foundation)
[Air, All, Death]
Block: +3L
F: add this card to the top of your deck face down.
Diff: 0 Control: 5

Hey it's Open Road except BETTER as it can sacrifice itself to give you a guarented 5 check, yes nice 2 uses in one. The fact that it's a 0/5 with a block also makes it that much better.

Playboy(Foundation)
[Air, All, Order]
F: RFG: Add the top card of your discard pile to your hand.
E: Commit, discard 1 card: Draw 1 card.
Diff: 3 Control: 4

Hand from Grave recursion, not bad yes it RFG's itself to get only the TOP card but hey do we REALLY want Military Rank or Unorthodox Style back... REALLY? And for discarding a card and commiting you get to draw a card, not bad... but Reese's Girlfriends isn't that great as it's a 3/4... meh...

Street Justice(Foundation)
[Air, All, Good]
E: Commit: If your punch attack deals damage, your next punch attack gets +2 Speed and +2 Damage.
[Air] E: Commit, Lose 2 vitality: Discard 1 punch attack from your card pool.

+2/+2 to your next punch attack for one dealing damage, nice; the [Air] ability allows you to discard a punch from your card pool at the cost of 2 vitality... hey it's Deathly Ill for [Air].

Uncovering The Truth(Foundation)
[Air, All, Good]
Block: +3L
R: Destroy this foundation, discard 1 momentum: After your opponent plays an attack as a reversal, discard it and cancel it's effects
R: Commit: After you play an ability that discards a card from your card pool, ready 1 foundation that has not been readied this Combat Phase.

Hey we have the answer to the Making a Difference of this set, oh you discarded any card from my card pool, sure I'll just ready this card I just used to draw a lot of cards or make my attack unblockable or anything else and we get to try this again, the other ability allows you to negate a Reversal which is always nice.

[All] I believe gives him the most good options to play though I believe he could be played off ANY symbol but I'd prefer to play him off [All].

Reese[Air, All, Good]

Actions(4)
Templar[Air, All] x4 3/5 +1M[B: 1]

Attacks(24)
Ballista[Air, All, Good] x4 4/3 3L4 Ranged Combo: (Punch)
Chivalry[Air, All, Good] x4 3/3 3M3 Punch +2M
Gaunltet Fury[Air, All, Good] x4 3/3 2L4 Punch +2L
Sovereign's Glory[Air, All] x4 5[3]/3 3L7 Ranged
Tandoya[All] x4 5/3 3L5 Punch Stun: 1
Valiant Assault[Air, All, Good] x4 4/3 3H4 Punch Combo: (Punch) +2H

Foundations(36)
Boxing is Life[All] x4 2/5
Fearless[Air, All, Good] x4 1/5 +3M
Financial Troubles[All] x4 2/5
For the Money[All] x4 2/5 +3M
Hand of a Tyrant[Air, All, Good] x4 2/5
Hunt for Jin[All, Good] x4 1/5 +2L
Made for Speed[Air, All] x4 0/5 +3L
Relaxing Model[All] x4 2/5 +3H
Street Justice[Air, All, Good] x4 2/5

again Criticism, Comments and all are welcome, and y'all better wish me a happy birthday tomorrow...

Shinguyi
01-27-2011, 08:59 AM
No Miska...? T_T

Nice review of the support. Templar does deserve the UR. Its good, but at the same time its not extremely necessary so I'm liking that about some UR.

NJBrock22
01-27-2011, 09:01 AM
already did Miska about 8 days ago...

N.J.

Shinguyi
01-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Searched the forums, didn't find her. Guess I'll look again.

Found the Articles in this order:
Eva
Lily
Kaden
Nehtali
Reese

EDIT: Just saw, Gauntlet Fury is actually Gauntlet Flurry. :D
(Just messing with you)

RockStar
01-27-2011, 09:49 AM
Hey man, nice write up!!

I'm curious as to why you main decked Tandoya in your sample build of All Reese? I think if you were to use any of Paul's punch support, Hammer of the Gods is a better choice (same stats, but with a block, better Stun rating, and self-pumping damage boost E).

I already see a way to make Reese very competitive. When i get the cards, play test some, i will holler back and let you know! :)

Trip Se7ens
01-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Miska was never done, lol...

Lono
01-27-2011, 02:49 PM
All Reese is going to be a monster. His support combine with Genius Alchemist and Hammer of the Gods, and I see him as being one the stronger aggro characters.

I'm waiting to see who will turn Sovereigns Glory into a murder stick.

Side Note: Fearless' Symbol R is Good, not Air.

KodiakZero
01-27-2011, 03:01 PM
All Reese is going to be a monster. His support combine with Genius Alchemist and Hammer of the Gods, and I see him as being one the stronger aggro characters.

I'm waiting to see who will turn Sovereigns Glory into a murder stick.

Side Note: Fearless' Symbol R is Good, not Air.

I have plans....oh yes i do :)

Boooo for Reese. I want Miska! Any hot chick with a bazooka (gulp!) is such a turn on....lol.

SMazzurco
01-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Hey man, nice write up!!

I'm curious as to why you main decked Tandoya in your sample build of All Reese? I think if you were to use any of Paul's punch support, Hammer of the Gods is a better choice (same stats, but with a block, better Stun rating, and self-pumping damage boost E).

I already see a way to make Reese very competitive. When i get the cards, play test some, i will holler back and let you know! :)

My guess is offzone. Tandoya is low while hammer is mid.

hammer is a better kill condition, but i think reese likes to just repeatedly beat face.

NJBrock22
01-27-2011, 03:31 PM
yep Sal is correct i chose because it was offzone, Hammer is cute and all but i want to stay offzone if all possible.

Also yes i found the article and posted it for you guys...

N.J.

RockStar
01-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Hammer is a better attack. Period. I think Hammer used in Reese is there to bait blocks, Stun out your opponent's field, and sit there as the first card played to combo with Valiant Assault draw combo. And, in a pinch, it can block off-zone attacks.

I don't think Tandoya is good enough to warrant main decking anymore, as there are now too many better Punch attack options. Heck, Gut Drill is a better choice than Tandoya, although i would run Gallant Defender instead. Templar --> Gallant D is way sexy!!!

tannerface
01-28-2011, 03:51 AM
I perfer Olexa's reese build, damn thing hurts. Well cept when he has jeremy ray luck and draws no attacks out of ten cards.

ATLPiglet
01-28-2011, 12:19 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BROTHER! Thanks for all the great articles