PDA

View Full Version : Darkness Barrier Question

fusionshogun
02-10-2011, 02:53 AM
If you use Darkness Barrier's enhance that says, "E: If this attack played as a reversal deals damage, discard all cards from your card pool." can you respond to that ability going into effect with Cute Prankster's response that says, "R Commit: After your attack played as a reversal deals damage, add it your hand." to get Darkness Barrier back into your hand before it would be discarded?

Tagrineth
02-10-2011, 02:57 AM
The floating effect from Darkness Barrier's Enhance must resolve before you can play response abilities to the same trigger. It discards.

fusionshogun
02-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Is there a part in the comprehensive rulebook that talks about floating effects so that I can clarify this?

Shinguyi
02-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Don't remember where exactly it was (I'll look into it) but floating effects resolve first when the conditions are met, and then the windows for the trigger opens.

EDIT: This is the closest thing I found in the rulebook:

8.3.3.11 Any effects that activate “if damage is dealt” (or any applicable synonyms),
trigger at this step.

Note that an E has already been used so its actual activation of the effect is pending, which resolves in this step. R on the other hand needs the trigger to activate, so after the pending effects have resolved one gets the decision to activate newer cards in response to "if damage is dealt". Think of it as the game state stops to resolve all pending effects or situations (such as cycling) and then game state continues, where it goes to the part where a person decides if they want to use something or not.

Think of it kind of as mandatory effects happen first and then abilities you want to activate (not always the case, but pretty close to it, since once you used an enhance, it is mandatory to resolve it).

Hope that helps.

SMazzurco
02-10-2011, 01:37 PM
i did a quick browse and didn't see...not saying it isn't there...but i didn't see it.

It might just be "common knowledge" and need to be added somewhere...or more likely i probably missed it

fusionshogun
02-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Alright, that makes sense. I guess I was confused by that wording because it said that any effects that activate...etc "trigger", and so I thought that since at that point the opponent would have been dealt damage, you could respond to the enhance's trigger with the Cute Prankster response.

Shinguyi
02-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Alright, that makes sense. I guess I was confused by that wording because it said that any effects that activate...etc "trigger", and so I thought that since at that point the opponent would have been dealt damage, you could respond to the enhance's trigger with the Cute Prankster response.

Its good to notice this things for when the AGR gets updated (unless JasoGames would rule it differently).

But thanks for the issue though. Always good to know what goes through player's head hehe.