PDA

View Full Version : Rose3 + Deadly Rave

Quorthon
02-10-2011, 06:35 AM
Rose3

R: Before a player makes a control check, that player reveals the 2 cards from the top of their deck. You choose which card is used for the check. The chosen card is discarded and the remaining card is returned to the top of the owner's deck.

Deadly Rave

E: If this attack deals damage, add it to your momentum face up.
R Discard 1 momentum: Before a control check is made, choose a number. If the printed control of the card checked is equal to the chosen number, each player loses that much vitality. Only playable while this card is face up in your momentum.

If I'm playing Rose and Deadly Rave is face up in my momentum, the correct sequence of play would be respond with Rose's R, choose the card that will be used for the check and discard it. Then, respond with Deadly Rave's R and choose the same control of the discarded card. After both players pass priority the control check would be made but it would take the value of the discarded card's control thus burning each player for that value.

Is this correct?

eypyeash
02-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Man, I'm not sure how this works... I always looked at Rose like she created a "floating" control check, pretty much saying "Reveal the top 2 cards, discard one, and replace the other. That player's next control check is equal to X, where X is the control value of the checked card, no further control check necessary." If that IS how she works, Deadly Rave couldn't activate because they aren't making a control check anymore, it's just using a static value based off of Rose's ability.

I don't know how else she'd work, really, because of the "before" thing. If it was "when a player makes a control check", she'd be making it on their behalf, and it would be an actual check.

Eh... interesting question. Good job.

SMazzurco
02-10-2011, 08:51 AM
I think Rose automatically moves from "before CC" to "after CC" cause she places it in the discard pile. Her R is "before" but then she "finishes" the check.

You could do DR then Rose, and you would have a better chance to hit your number, but you wouldn't get to look first.

Tagrineth
02-11-2011, 03:49 AM
Rose doesn't say anything at all about forcing the control check to be made. All she does is fix its value, nothing more.

She even specifies that the card discarded is the card used, so for any effects that reference the control value etc. will use that card's values.