PDA

View Full Version : Jasco Games Event Report

jason
02-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Hey everyone,

I know this belongs in the event's forum, but I would like to post it here, to start a discussion about meta, and the effects of Red Horizon on your play groups. Please respond and let us know how the newer cards are spicing things up in your area.

This Saturday, we had our weekly local tournament with 16 players. We had a nice mix of new and old players all sporting very interesting decks. Here was the line up:

2x (Evil) Kaden
1x (Earth) Kaden
1x (Water) Nehtali
1x (Chaos/Evil) Nehtali
2x (Good) Siegfried
1x (Air) Tira
1x (Void) Eva
1x (All) Reese
1x (Choas) Cervantes
1x (Fire) Zi Mei
1x (Fire) Astrid
1x (Chaos) Omar Chavez
1x (Earth) Bryan Fury
1x (Evil) Nightmare

Because we had players ranging from "set 1 veterans" to "I started this week", we did the first round pairings in a tier by how long each player has been playing UFS. This isn't something we would do at a major event, but at locals it gives everyone a much more fair chance to do well, and in this case, make top 8. We also do not enforce diversity in our local events, because it's more for fun and allows players to play who they want without worries.

The decks that stood out this week were:

Air Tira - This merge between Reese and Tira builds was a force to be reckoned with. Tira used 2 major kill conditions, Shredding Vibrato and Sovereign's Glory. Paired up with several tricks to clear the card pool, and punch attacks, this deck was able to kill very vast, and 1 or 2 games, was able to kill off opponent's with lower vitality turn 1! Of course this is a very lucky hand/good checks but it did through some players off guard.

Void Eva - This build showed Void at it's finest. Using a very interesting attack line up, with lots of low attacks, and spinning daemon and Canine Strike as it's kill conditions, this deck would discard your hand and force through lots of damage. Harnessing Chaos, War between Sisters, wipe the floor, and other discard tricks made it hard to stop a long string of attacks that would get +3 to +5 damage at times with Miska support and Eva's enhance.

Evil Kaden - I have personally been playing Evil Kaden for some time now, but had to face off against someone with nerve enough to challenge me :). This fast paced, beat-em-up deck could kill turn 2 and 3 and also had some nifty tricks for the late game. Divine Harvester, Power of the Edge, Revoke, Sweet Nothings, and a few others allowed Kaden to survive the late game and would stun and crush through any late game defenses.

Water Nehtali - One of the many ways to build Nehtali is this water smash deck. Using Nehtali's tricks to modify control checks, this deck relied mostly on Wrath of Heaven and reversals to combo Wrath of Heaven. It would hit early game with 1 or 2 Wrath's and could disrupt with Cleansing flames and Amy support. This deck was pretty beastly and if you didn't play your cards right against it, you would often end up on the losing end.

Chaos/Evil Nehtali - Unlike the Water version of this deck, this dual symboled version used a surprising assortment of combo attacks to kill the opponent. Using not only her support but nearly everything that could combo, this deck gave several decks a run for their money. When it was put against the test to see which Nehtali would rein supreme, they ended up tying 1 to 1 before time was called. I personally played this deck first round, and if it weren't for the pilot of this deck miss playing the order of his combo's I never would have made it out alive.

Good Siegfried - I am putting this deck in here, because the player who piloted this deck literally learned how to play the day of the event, and was able to start off undefeated through the first 2 rounds with a slightly modified starter deck. He ended up making top 8 with 8th place and proving to the player base, that you should not underestimate any opponent!

Evil Nightmare - Nightmare has always been a tough to pilot control deck, but with new support from red Horizon and a new look at the deck from a fairly rookie player, Evil Nightmare was able to destroy his way through several staging area's and into Top 8. The staging area destruction power combined with great attacks and nightmare support made was just enough to put this deck into 7th going into the top 8.

Overall, this was a great event, and everyone had a lot of fun. We started at 2:30pm and had several hours of UFS gaming, trading, and smack talk :). Since we are gearing up for a self proclaimed store championship, to see who is really the best in town, everyone is trying out their new tricks, and seeing what they should bring to the table. I played this week as well, with a thrown together Kaden deck, that was build from traded for cards. Unfortunately I still have to trade until new cards come in if I want to play... :(

Because of our unique method of pairing, the games started out very interesting. Over half of the veterans had to be knocked down to the losing bracket off the bat, and would have to fight their way back up if they wanted to make top 8.

1. Me (Evil Kaden) vs. Chaos/Evil Nehtali = Kaden wins 2/1
2. Chaos Omar vs. Water Nehtali = Omar wins 2/1
3. Evil Kaden vs. Air Tira = Kaden Wins 2/0
4. Void Eva vs. Earth Bryan Fury = Eva wins 2/0
5. Earth Kaden vs. All Reese = Kaden wins 2/1
6. Evil Nightmare vs. Good Siegfried #1 = Nightmare wins 2/0
7. Chaos Cervantes vs. Fire Astris = Cervantes wins 2/1
8. Good Siegfried #2 vs. Fire Zi Mei = Siegfried wins 2/0

At the end of Round 1, we had the following ratings:

1. ME with Evil Kaden!
2. Chaos Omar Chaves
3. Other Evil Kaden
4. Void Eva
5. Earth Kaden
6. Evil Nightmare
7. Chaos Cervantes
8. Good Siegfried
9. Evil/Chaos Nehtali
10. Water Nehtali
11. Air Tira
12. Earth Bryan Fury
13. All Reese
14. Good Seigfried
15. Fire Astrid
16. Fire Zi Mei

Bryan Fury Drops

Round 2 started off with 2 big mirror matches.

1. Evil Kaden vs. Evil Kaden = Draw 1/1
2. Chaos Omar vs. Void Eva = Eva wins 2/1
3. Earth Kaden vs. Evil Nightmare = Kaden wins 2/1
4. Chaos Cervantes vs. Good Siegfried #2 = Siegfried wins 2/1
5. Chaos/Evil Nehtali vs. Water Nehtali = Draw 1/1
6. Air Tira wins with a bye = 3 points
7. All Reese vs. Good Siegfried = Reese wins 2/0
8. Fire Astrid vs. Fire Zi mei = Astrid wins 2/1

This starts the final round with the following placing:

1. Void Eva - 6 points
2. Earth Kaden - 6 points
3. Good Siegfried #2 - 6 points
4. Evil Kaden (me) - 4 points
5. Evil Kaden #2 - 4 points
6. Chaos Omar - 3 points
7. Evil Nightmare - 3 points
8. Chaos Cervantes - 3 points
9. Air Tira - 3 points
10. All Reese - 3 points
11. Fire Astrid - 3 points
12 Chaos/Evil Nehtali - 1 point
13. Water Nehtali - 1 point
14. Good Siegfried #1 - 0 points
15. Zi mei - 0 points
16. Earth Bryan Fury - Drop

After round 2:
Bryan Fury dropped round 1
Chaos/Evil Nehtali drops

Final round Pairings we have:

1. Void Eva vs. Earth Kaden = Eva wins 2/0
2. Good Siegfried #2 vs. Evil kaden (me) = Kaden Wins 2/0
3. Evil Kaden vs. Chaos Omar = Omar wins 2/1
4. Evil Nightmare vs. Chaos Cervantes = Nightmare wins 2/1
5. Air Tira vs. All Reese = Tira wins 2/0
6. Fire Astrid vs. Water Nehtali = Nehtali wins 2/0
7. Good Siegfried #1 vs. Fire Zi Mei = Zi mei wins 2/0

Final points before cut to top 8:

1. Void Eva - 9 points
2. Evil Kaden (ME) - 7 points
3. Earth Kaden - 6 points
4. Good Siegfried #2 - 6 points
5. Chaos Omar Chavez - 6 points
6. Evil Nightmare - 6 points
7. Air Tira - 6 points
8. Evil Kaden - 4 points
9. Water Nehtali - 4 points
10. Chaos Cervantes - 3 points
11. All Reese - 3 points
12. Fire Astrid - 3 points
13. Fire Zi Mei - 3 points
14. Good Siegfried #1 - 0 points
15. Earth Bryan Fury - 0 points (dropped)
16. Chaos/Evil Nehtali - 1 point (dropped)

This means top 8 would be:

Void Eva vs. Evil Kaden
Evil Kaden (Me) vs. Air Tira
Earth Kaden vs. Evil Nightmare
Good Siegfried #2 vs. Chaos Omar

Buuuuuttttt...... two players had to go because they hadn't eaten all day. Evil Nightmare, Good Siegfried #2, Chaos Cervantes, Fire Astrid, Fire Zi Mei and Good Siegfried #1 dropped before finals.

So here was the top 8 after we bumped the other players in. Also note, because of all the drops, I paired these wrong in retrospect...

(1) Void Eva vs. (11) All Reese = Void Eva wins 2/0
(2) Evil Kaden (ME) vs. (9) Water Nehtali = Nehtali wins 2/0 :( :( :(
(3) Earth Kaden vs. (5) chaos Omar = Omar wins 2/1
(8) Evil Kaden vs. (7) Air Tira = Kaden wins 2/1

Obviously it is not ideal that half the players leave for food before top 8, but we still had a blast regardless. Also, I would like to add, that I did beat Siegfried right before top 8 2/0 and if I didn't have to play Nehtali instead after Sieg dropped, I may have gone farther :(

Top 4 Cuts:

(1) Void Eva vs. (9) Water Nehtali = Eva wins 2/1
(5) Chaos Omar vs. (8) Evil Kaden = Omar wins 2/1

Now for the epic final match!!!!

Seed 1 Void Eva vs. Seed 5 Chaos Omar.

Eva takes the first game after living through the low attack onslaught from Chaos Omar, and pounding through with discard and harnessing chaos.

Game 2 was a close one, but Evan wins again and proves that Void is a new symbol to watch out for! Even with match ups that side boarded anti discard, Void Eva fought through the defenses and claimed victory at this weeks Jasco Games weekly local tournament!

I know we could have gone more in-depth into each match, but I honestly can't remember a ton since I was playing in the event as well.

Hope you all enjoyed reading this and I will do my best to bring you a report for the store championship we are holding in 2 weeks.

-Jason

JinKazama
02-13-2011, 12:45 PM
could someone explain how chaos Cervantes took fire Astrid?

Trip Se7ens
02-13-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm running Kaden. Eff this game.

Edit:

Quick strike + Shadow Flare. GG

jason
02-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Like I said, the first round pairings were done based on how long players have been playing. The bottom 6 characters have all very recently started playing UFS. I would blame that mostly on experience. (I agree with you that Cervantes isn't all that great).

Trip Se7ens
02-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Pfft... Starter deck Zi Mei almost beat me bc of how fast it is... dumb.

Birch
02-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Like I said, the first round pairings were done based on how long players have been playing. The bottom 6 characters have all very recently started playing UFS. I would blame that mostly on experience. (I agree with you that Cervantes isn't all that great).

You give cervantes way to much credit... He is awful.

How'd the Bryan Fury work, Idk if you got a chance to see it, but iv'e only seen him run of of fire, and Evil (when i did this before RH)

Trip Se7ens
02-13-2011, 01:02 PM
It was a Fire-Throw Bryan Fury.

Birch
02-13-2011, 01:03 PM
It was a Fire-Throw Bryan Fury.

It said earth up top, just kinda assumed it was earth

Trip Se7ens
02-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Jason has bad recall. He was also running the tourney, while working and playing, lol.

JinKazama
02-13-2011, 01:07 PM

oooooooo I C

RockStar
02-13-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm running Kaden. Eff this game.

Edit:

Quick strike + Shadow Flare. GG

You're a couple months late with that tech, Steven. :) Us West Coasters have been runnin' QS -> SF for quite some time now. Just sayin'. :D

Great ready, Jason! Thanks for posting that.

Trip Se7ens
02-13-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm trying to build anything on All, Order, or Fire... Financial Troubles is so good.

Lono
02-13-2011, 05:38 PM
I'm very interested in seeing that Air Tira build.

Drinzen
02-13-2011, 07:10 PM
im redoing my Siegfried deck and building a Kaden deck after that tourney. losing 2-0 to nightmare sucked

jason
02-13-2011, 07:44 PM
Hey nice to see you on the boards!

Drinzen
02-13-2011, 07:58 PM
thanks man. after last night i ended up with enough for my kaden deck :)

Hatman
02-13-2011, 08:40 PM
im redoing my Siegfried deck and building a Kaden deck after that tourney. losing 2-0 to nightmare sucked

I still believe Nightmare's got untapped potential.

Trip Se7ens
02-13-2011, 10:09 PM
I hope all you guys got to grab characters that you wanted to build! I gave away what I had so you can all play and enjoy this wonderful game! :D

Shinguyi
02-13-2011, 10:21 PM
I hope all you guys got to grab characters that you wanted to build! I gave away what I had so you can all play and enjoy this wonderful game! :D

I thought you were going to quit Steven and sticking with Jin. :P

All in all, very good to know how the games went. Lots of six handers.

Trip Se7ens
02-13-2011, 10:24 PM
I only play Fire Jin. I need to play the best char with the best symbol!

Shinguyi
02-13-2011, 10:30 PM

Ironically, its possible. In Standard very unlikely but possible, in Legacy and Extended more plausible.

Good luck with that bud.

Good to see boards are growing though. Really good to see.

brislove
02-14-2011, 12:53 AM
If only you were good enough to figure out what either of those are >_> :-p

Trip Se7ens
02-14-2011, 01:08 AM
:( Y'all are mean. I'm going to go back to playing my Chaos Jin ;;>_> only one build.

Lono
02-14-2011, 01:41 AM
I still believe Nightmare's got untapped potential.

You know who else has untapped potential? Zhao Daiyu. Harnessing Chaos is a wonderful low attack for her combo and Brilliant Tactician is almost a free +2 burn on enemies turn.

Trip Se7ens
02-14-2011, 01:43 AM
With Wake in His Destruction... yum.

Lono
02-14-2011, 01:56 AM
Also, Confine is probably the best common Action this side of Kung-Fu Training. Momentum recursion and damage reduction negation, both of which clear themselves from the card pool. For a lot of combo decks, you just need to get that one piece in there (like Twilight Embrace) and you become less draw dependent.

Oh, and Hell Ripper. Thank God that E that lowers combo difficulty isn't the combo E.

tannerface
02-14-2011, 05:19 AM
I think showdown is the best action this side of kung-fu training...

Hatman
02-14-2011, 06:56 AM
You know who else has untapped potential? Zhao Daiyu. Harnessing Chaos is a wonderful low attack for her combo and Brilliant Tactician is almost a free +2 burn on enemies turn.
Except that Montreal's seen 3 Zhao Daiyu decks in not a lot of time, so we know.