PDA

View Full Version : Want to play UFS online?

rAn
03-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Well, after about a year of me being lazy i've finally finished UFS for OCTGN. I have every set done and all of the promos (as far as i know) done and the game is very playable.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/DarkCorpsys/OCTGN/octgn.png

So, what is OCTGN?
OCTGN stands for Online Card and Tabletop Gaming Network, it is developed by 1 guy named jods and it's free. If you've ever used Lackey, it's kind of like that.
What does OCTGN do?
It is a platform that allows players to connect together an play a card game. It supports multiple games , all you need is the game definition and the set files.
What doesn't OCTGN do?
It does not automate anything. It is very much like you are sitting at the table and playing with a friend. It does not provided a 'match making' service, so you will need to
have an opponent in mind when you get ready to play.

What do you need to do to get started?
I have a forum setup on the community octgn forums (http://octgnsets.freeforums.org/ufs-f24.html) that will go over everything you need to do. The posts on the that forums go in depth on everything you need to do to get UFS installed and how to play a game.

If you find any problems , need help, or have any suggestions, feel free to email me at: ran.ufsoctgn@gmail.com .

I will get back to you asap.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

All updates will be posted on the forums at http://octgnsets.freeforums.org/ufs-f24.html .

Shinguyi
03-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Sorry for not having the SSBP in time... too much stuff at the same time on my side and I still want to get accustomed to Python...

rAn
03-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Haha, no worries man =D I converted the game definition file over to the required Python stuff, so it's all new. Basically all that needed to be done on that front was make the XML call Python functions from a script instead of having XML scripts, since XML script functionality is being removed soon.

FenMiHuo
03-27-2011, 03:51 PM
I figured someone would do this before I got around to publishing it, (I took what you had done before RH, made an RH patch, and did the python switch) So in that case, if you need help let me know since I do all this stuff for myself anyway lol

Also for anyone else reading this, OCTGN is awesome and people should use it (I'm working on an online IRC community for it with a tournament bot)

Dillon
03-27-2011, 04:23 PM
i downloaded it but it isnt an application or anything so im not sure how to play it

nevermind i got it now

FenMiHuo
03-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Basically, you get the octgn application from http://www.octgn.net/
Its a free program thats meant to work with any number of ccgs you feel like.
So you download/install OCTGN itself, then you go to Manage Installed Games->Install a New Game and select the game definition you got (.o8g file).
Once youve got that, select Install New Cards and choose all the sets you want to add and install each one (.o8s files).

Dillon
03-27-2011, 04:41 PM
im building a deck right now but i cant search for foundations in general so that kinda sucks, but once im done ill play with someone and i have ventrilo

rAn
03-27-2011, 04:43 PM
im building a deck right now but i cant search for foundations in general so that kinda sucks, but once im done ill play with someone and i have ventrilo

At the top of the deck builder there are a lot of filters you can choose from. If you click on 'Type' and type in Foundation, it'll only should you foundations. You can combine the 'Type' filter with the 'Resource' filter to find foundations with a certain symbol.

bloodocean
03-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Groovy stuff.

Dillon
03-27-2011, 04:52 PM
ok i made a deck, anyone have a vent and want to play standard or you could join my vent

rAn
03-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Hey Dillon, log on to AIM and hit me up with your Vent info and we can play a game. I got your AIM name from the forums here =O

FenMiHuo
03-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Also for those who cant host or anything, theres a free program called hamachi

Knightmaregol
03-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Have to try it out once I get my lap top fixed.

Dillon
03-27-2011, 05:40 PM
i just played a game with ran and its pretty good, he beat me =[

Yoko Charming Fox
03-27-2011, 06:47 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has noticed this yet, but as far as I can tell Theemin Menkar is missing form standard.

Besides form that OCTGN is great. Thanks to rAn and anyone else who may have helped him out.

rAn
03-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the heads up Seph, I'll get that fixed asap. It must of gotten lost in translation some how, very strange.

rAn
03-27-2011, 07:06 PM
http://www.mediafire.com/?x6bo851m6xjn210 there is the updated Tower of Souls file, it should show up now (it did when i tested it.)

Dillon
03-27-2011, 07:29 PM
if anyone wants to join my vent and play my info is
vent60.light-speed.com
maxpower1

Yoko Charming Fox
03-27-2011, 07:47 PM
http://www.mediafire.com/?x6bo851m6xjn210 there is the updated Tower of Souls file, it should show up now (it did when i tested it.)

Worked for me too. Thanks

Birch
03-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Can this be downloaded with Mac OSX?

rAn
03-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Can this be downloaded with Mac OSX?

I'm not sure. I did a quick google search and people were saying they had to use something like crossover or parallels to emulate a windows platform. However, if you can get OCTGN installed on your mac, the set files and everything will definitely work.

Yoko Charming Fox
03-27-2011, 08:27 PM
I'm not sure how to join and creat games. Could someone give me a quick walkthrough on how to do this?

Magnusotls
03-27-2011, 08:37 PM
I need tyo learn how to join and create too. I have it all downloaded n stuff.

Link
03-27-2011, 08:42 PM
YOU ARE MY MF HERO! Seriously! Amazing. Thanks man!

rAn
03-27-2011, 08:45 PM
To create a game, just click the start a new game button on the main OCTGN window. Change your IP settings to IPv4 on the connection window (simply because it is easier) then copy your IP address. Give the IP address to your opponent, then they click 'Join an existing game' and enter the IP you gave them. Let me know if this doesn't work for some reason.

Yoko Charming Fox
03-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Ok here's what I think is the IP:

If anyone wants to play please join my room.

rAn
03-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Ok here's what I think is the IP:

If anyone wants to play please join my room.
yea, this is your IPv6 IP address, i usually just use the IPv4 IP just because it's much easier to use =D

Yoko Charming Fox
03-27-2011, 09:40 PM
How do I make it give me the IPv4, because it just defalts to the IPv6, and I can select IPv4, but it doesn't change the IP that it gives me?

rAn
03-27-2011, 09:48 PM
there should be multiple IPs on the screen. By the IPv6 button it should have the one you posted, then beside the IPv4 button it should have LAN Address and another IP Address

Raikou
03-27-2011, 09:52 PM
ill be trying this out later in the week but im really syched.

DISSRUPTER

Yoko Charming Fox
03-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Ok then this should be the correct IP (took out for safty) if anyone wants to play.

rAn
03-27-2011, 09:54 PM
I'll join you in a few minutes, finishing something up =)

rAn
03-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Do you have AIM Seph?

Yoko Charming Fox
03-27-2011, 10:01 PM
I don't think so.

Shinguyi
03-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Yep, do not post your public IPs unless you want to increase the risks of your security being breached. PM the players or contact them via another means.

For those who cannot bypass router issues, you guys can download Hamachi here: https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi2/download.aspx (Downlaod Unmanaged)

Once you set it up, create your own Network if you wish, and have people join your network. Once you and players are int he same network, you can use Hamachi's Network ID (looks like an IP address) and easily connect to players. Think of it as a Virtual Network which you can connect computers.

Do note it is also possible to chat with possible players through Hamachi to make things easier.

Yoko Charming Fox
03-27-2011, 10:03 PM
I have it now.

Shinguyi
03-27-2011, 10:06 PM
I have it now.

Message was mostly meant for everyone hehe.

Try joining other people's networks and try contacting them there in case you have a case such as you and rAn where you don't have AIM. You can still chat with him in Hamachi as long as you two are in at least one same network.

rAn
03-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Seph, what is your AIM name? I'll message you and we can set a game up =)

Dillon
03-27-2011, 10:19 PM
ive played once with aim and once with vent and its a lot easier in vent

Birch
03-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Sigh. No online for me and my fancy mac :(

tannerface
03-27-2011, 10:49 PM

Can you run a virtual machine on your mac? If so just run a virtual windows machine and install it on there, might be slow though.

Birch
03-27-2011, 10:54 PM
I dont even kno what that means. Im not so tech savvy.

FenMiHuo
03-27-2011, 11:18 PM
I dont even kno what that means. Im not so tech savvy.

He basically means can you run an entire copy of windows on your mac using vmware or something (vmware fusion is the mac version I believe)
I just want to point out, if no one bought macs we wouldn't have these problems >_>

Birch
03-27-2011, 11:22 PM
If PC's didnt crash i wouldnt need a mac :)

Vexion
03-27-2011, 11:31 PM
I'll be pickin this up later tonight... I'll prolly be able to play with folks tomorrow.

Target X
03-28-2011, 12:04 AM
This thing is pretty cool I dare say! Hit me on MSN live messenger: Target_X at live dot ca

tannerface
03-28-2011, 02:09 AM
Well rAn I must thank you very much for this. I have set up a ventrilo server on my comp for the sole purpose of using OCTGN. Currently I am only able to host 8 clients at a time. If anyone would like the vent info please contact me through steam or PM me on here.

steam name: Tannerface29

Magnusotls
03-28-2011, 04:20 AM
anyone want to play?

Vexion
03-28-2011, 04:29 AM
Give me a few minutes to get the Standard zip file donwloaded and I'm good to go.

jason
03-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Hey rAn,

Obviously we have discussed Octgn stuff before. I would like to know if you would mind being the go to guy for a new forum for UFS online play that I will be adding to the main boards? I would like the community to seriously consider using this program to play online and this will allow us to have a centralized location. I would recommend a list of AIM names to be listed in the forum (at volunteered players digression) so that people can add them all to a UFS Player Friends list on their aim, and that way we will have a make shift lobby to get players ready to find a game.

We will work with you more and more to make online play something easy and fun for everyone.

Please PM me when you get a chance,

Thanks

JinKazama
03-28-2011, 10:01 AM

actually your macbook is equipped with an application called bootcamp that will allow you to run both operating systems.
Problem is you need a Windows start up disc, and apparently people don't realize there suppose to keep those.

Birch
03-28-2011, 10:26 AM
actually your macbook is equipped with an application called bootcamp that will allow you to run both operating systems.
Problem is you need a Windows start up disc, and apparently people don't realize there suppose to keep those.

We need this. We need to see these quick strikes these west coast guys are all aboot.

tannerface
03-28-2011, 01:40 PM
We need this. We need to see these quick strikes these west coast guys are all aboot.

I may be able to help you with a startup disc.

Birch
03-28-2011, 02:34 PM
NOICE lol. Like he said apparently no one keeps them lol

tannerface
03-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Networking student keeps every disc I ever get.

Baranor
03-28-2011, 05:01 PM
I would totally be interested in playing. I can't seem to host games, but I would love to play. I'm building a couple decks. I've got Miska right now.

Magnusotls
03-28-2011, 05:07 PM
someone pm me in the next 2 hours and I will reply with my room's IP and my hamachi server so we can play.

aslum
03-29-2011, 02:01 AM
I'm set up to play... but am going to bed now... but definitely want to get some more games in.

LuchaHeroAl
03-29-2011, 03:26 AM
Tanner and I found out the Shuffle Discard into Deck option doesn't work. You have to move each card back one by one and then shuffle and remove top 10 to mill. Still awesome though.

tannerface
03-29-2011, 03:58 AM
To add to what Lucha was saying, either a cycle option when right-clicking the discard pile would be nice. Another thing we noticed was you can't add cards from either your deck or hand without revealing them when they are supposed to remain either private(from hand) or public(from deck) knowledge. So maybe an option to add cards from hand/deck face down to table or play cards from hand/deck face down.

Thank you for all your hard work guys, this program is truly wonderful and I look forward to being able to test decks in new metas before gencon this year.

rAn
03-29-2011, 08:26 AM
To add to what Lucha was saying, either a cycle option when right-clicking the discard pile would be nice. Another thing we noticed was you can't add cards from either your deck or hand without revealing them when they are supposed to remain either private(from hand) or public(from deck) knowledge. So maybe an option to add cards from hand/deck face down to table or play cards from hand/deck face down.

Thank you for all your hard work guys, this program is truly wonderful and I look forward to being able to test decks in new metas before gencon this year.

Definitely need to add a cycle option, we'll do that soon =D . As far as the momentum goes, if you drag a card from your hand over the table just hold SHIFT before you let it go. Then it'll appear facedown on the table. You can also do this with cards from the top of your deck. However, an easier way to do this is probably a good idea. I'll add these to the list of things to add. Thanks for the heads up on things not working =)

failed2k
03-29-2011, 09:00 AM
Very cool stuff, I installed it, and I'm sure at some point, I'll actually play game on it :)

Thanks a lot for your work rAn

Think I've got it up and running and built a fun little deck, my aim screename is impulsive123 and I'm on all the time during the day especially, if you wanna play drop me a line, not always gonna be able to play, but I wont feel pestered by anyone asking.

Zardis
03-29-2011, 09:09 AM
I haven't been able to install it yet but maybe I did something wrong :P I'll try with a little more patience in a while :P ca't wait to play-test there ^^

FenMiHuo
03-29-2011, 10:57 AM
There may be problems installing this in Vista, I'm not sure if it has been fixed yet

SMazzurco
03-29-2011, 11:18 AM
There may be problems installing this in Vista, I'm not sure if it has been fixed yet

32 or 64bit?

I haven't been home really so haven't had a chance to try but i have windows 7 64bit at home...which isn't always the most compatible OS lol

FenMiHuo
03-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Windows 7 works fine (you know if you have compatibility problems theres an entire compatibility mode right?
I run it on Windows 7 Pro x64

Link
03-29-2011, 03:14 PM
one more thing i noticed, i could be wrong but i cant seem to place cards on the bottom of my deck. i could be missing something though. ive only fooled around with it a bit so far

FenMiHuo
03-29-2011, 03:25 PM
there might be some missing elements (like that one) that weren't noticed, we are already working on a pretty significant update

Shinguyi
03-29-2011, 03:32 PM
one more thing i noticed, i could be wrong but i cant seem to place cards on the bottom of my deck. i could be missing something though. ive only fooled around with it a bit so far

To add it to bottom, drag the card to the lower part of the deck until an arrow appears. Let go on top of the arrow to send it to bottom of the deck.

tannerface
03-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Definitely need to add a cycle option, we'll do that soon =D . As far as the momentum goes, if you drag a card from your hand over the table just hold SHIFT before you let it go. Then it'll appear facedown on the table. You can also do this with cards from the top of your deck. However, an easier way to do this is probably a good idea. I'll add these to the list of things to add. Thanks for the heads up on things not working =)

Lol didn't know about the shift thing but that is unbelievably helpful. Thank you for all your work rAn.

FenMiHuo
03-29-2011, 03:46 PM
To add it to bottom, drag the card to the lower part of the deck until an arrow appears. Let go on top of the arrow to send it to bottom of the deck.

Nice catch, I didn't even notice that one (mainly because I've never had to do it but still) Glad I didnt script it yet since its already there

rAn
03-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Lol didn't know about the shift thing but that is unbelievably helpful. Thank you for all your work rAn.

No problem, FenMiHuo has been doing a lot of work with me too! So thanks to you as well Fen! =D

tannerface
03-29-2011, 10:56 PM
It seems the shift+drag thing doesn't work either or I'm doing it wrong lol. Keep up the good work you two!!

aslum
03-30-2011, 01:21 AM
@Tanneface: click drag, then shift before you release. It's tricky.

Shinguyi
03-30-2011, 06:24 AM
It seems the shift+drag thing doesn't work either or I'm doing it wrong lol. Keep up the good work you two!!

Only works when dragging from different piles such as hand, deck and discard pile, not from the table. First you hold the key while you drag the card, then hold shift. Then let go while holding shift.

Another neat trick you guys will notice is that if you hold shift, then hold on a card already on table and start dragging, arrows will show. Works really well to show targets. Another is to hold shift when you click ona card, and a target appears for easy reference.

Eldelay
08-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Will anyone play me in standard?

Knightmaregol
08-31-2011, 07:36 PM
When I try to download octgn it just says welcome to the test page. I downloaded the microsoft 4 framework.

FenMiHuo
08-31-2011, 08:57 PM
When I try to download octgn it just says welcome to the test page. I downloaded the microsoft 4 framework.

Apparently they changed their site around, the link should be updated on the OCTGN guide now

Knightmaregol
09-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Apparently they changed their site around, the link should be updated on the OCTGN guide now

Thanks. Got it downloaded and installed. But I get this when I try to get the standard cards to be added under the manager: 'Shadowar.o8s' an error occured during installation:
The property 'CardText' is unknown

FenMiHuo
09-01-2011, 05:55 PM
is that the only one that gives you an error?

Knightmaregol
09-01-2011, 06:31 PM
No. I tried them all for standard. Got the same reply for each respectively.

Knightmaregol
09-04-2011, 12:37 AM
Never mind. Had to dowload the latest version.