PDA

View Full Version : Everybody Loves Algol

Wild Party Hat
03-31-2011, 04:01 PM
I went to my store's AoP tournament last night packing some serious heat: Void Algol. My plan was to control the board and blast my opponent with a series of unforgiving attacks across two or more turns. Fortunately, Algol's hand size is whatever he wants it to be, so drawing the attacks wasn't a problem. With Controller of Souls/War Between Sisters/Ancient Fighting Style, I always had a block, or an attack I wanted to play during my opponent's turn. I had the most trouble against Rashotep Throws, piloted by fusionshogun, which apparently decided it didn't need foundations during the first game.

Other than that, Algol ran as smooth as a baby's bowel movement, securing 2nd place out of 9.

I feel like you all owe Algol an Apology.

SMazzurco
03-31-2011, 04:16 PM
Bring algol to santa cruz.

I will wreck him.

:D

Wild Party Hat
03-31-2011, 04:18 PM
Challenge accepted. I'll bring him when I go to scott's valley for the PTC.

SMazzurco
03-31-2011, 04:29 PM
if my life frees up maybe ill make it to sac before then...

Dillon
03-31-2011, 05:22 PM
it seems like everyone except the sac playgroup thinks algol is terrible

SMazzurco
03-31-2011, 06:14 PM
it seems like everyone except the sac playgroup knows algol is terrible

fixed.

RockStar
03-31-2011, 06:22 PM
To be fair, i'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that you've actually made Algol playable...at least in an Air and Void only cardpool.

It will be very interesting to see how he fares when the card pool and deck-types are wide open. If i can find time to grab a ride with Smazzurco, we'd be happy to make the trek to SacTown to witness the AwesomeAlgol with our own eyes. :)

fusionshogun
03-31-2011, 08:23 PM
it seems like everyone except the sac playgroup thinks algol is terrible

I'm part of the Sacramento playgroup and I know Algol is terrible.

That said, it's fun to watch someone play Algol.

Vexion
03-31-2011, 09:16 PM
Algol can be good. He just needs to be piloted perfectly (more so than Nina), and needs the PERFECT build.... One that unfortunately Hat got the collection of cards before I did.

Birch
04-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Algol can be good. He just needs to be piloted perfectly (more so than Nina), and needs the PERFECT build.... One that unfortunately Hat got the collection of cards before I did.

Disagree. Nina can be good with a good pilot and a smart player. Algol cannot be good. He can be playable, but not good. He only does one thing and its not very good...

Wild Party Hat
04-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Disagree. Nina can be good with a good pilot and a smart player. Algol cannot be good. He can be playable, but not good. He only does one thing and its not very good...

When that one thing is draw tons of cards, I think he goes from playable to decent. Other characters only do one thing. Tira, for instance.

What's that? You only drew one attack? Play it and draw 5 more cards - ohhh wait, you aren't playing Algol. Sorry.

SMazzurco
04-01-2011, 01:50 PM
When that one thing is draw tons of cards, I think he goes from playable to decent. Other characters only do one thing. Tira, for instance.

What's that? You only drew one attack? Play it and draw 5 more cards - ohhh wait, you aren't playing Algol. Sorry.

Hmm...you still didn't draw enough dmg? Play out hand and die next turn.

Birch
04-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Algol draws cards. Thats it. and its not like he is gaining the advantage by drawing cards. He just mulligans his hand for a new one essentially. Its not like I discard my hand and draw X+1 No advantage is gained. He is good at filtering

SMazzurco
04-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Algol draws cards. Thats it. and its not like he is gaining the advantage by drawing cards. He just mulligans his hand for a new one essentially. Its not like I discard my hand and draw X+1 No advantage is gained. He is good at filtering

In a slower meta he would be much better. You get out his assets and pavillion and its dumb. But his assets are way too slow for the meta. Especially if you want to run 2-checks. And his 2nd ability is retarded.

Wild Party Hat
04-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Hmm...you still didn't draw enough dmg? Play out hand and die next turn.

Why would you play out your entire hand if you couldn't kill your opponent and you're at low enough life to die in one turn? He is all about ensuring that you draw what you need, when you need it.

In a slower meta he would be much better. You get out his assets and pavillion and its dumb. But his assets are way too slow for the meta. Especially if you want to run 2-checks. And his 2nd ability is retarded.

Why would I want to run 2 checks?

He is good at filtering

...Exactly.

SMazzurco
04-01-2011, 02:05 PM
If you don't play out your hand he is really no different than another character other than you commit him to have a different 5 cards in your hand, that still don't kill your opponent.

You run 2 checks because his throw is the balls and because thats where damage comes from. He does not have much in the way of speed pumps (definitely didn't pre-RH, has some now) and one attack lineup for him is throws (which have 2 checks).

I wish he worked too, but he is just not as effective as some other characters. Personally i think his ability should be "F Commit, discard X cards: Once per turn, draw x cards. "

Wild Party Hat
04-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Ohhhhh, you guys think I played Algol attacks. No, no, no, no , no. Those are terrible. My main damage came from Piercing Howl/Body of Souls and from Canine Strike.

RockStar
04-01-2011, 02:12 PM
I think it's fair to say that baggin' on Wild Party Hat for running Algo isn't the best use of anyone's time. He likes running with Algo, so let him do it, and stop trying to argue the merits of his advantages vs disadvantages. I, for one, am really looking forward to playing against him and his Algol build at the June PTC in Scotts Valley. If his Algol is as good as he claims, he will turn more than a few heads whilst doing very well there. If he's as bad y'all claim (and i have to admit i side with y'all, because i've yet to see a competitive Algol), then WPH is going to have a very educational weekend at that Event.

Period.

Vexion
04-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Why would anyone run any Algol attacks other than Achernar? That's his only redeeming attack (outside of cervantes CC hax decks, which adore his 2 checks).....

Wild Party Hat
04-01-2011, 02:20 PM
I think it's fair to say that baggin' on Wild Party Hat for running Algo isn't the best use of anyone's time. He likes running with Algo, so let him do it, and stop trying to argue the merits of his advantages vs disadvantages. I, for one, am really looking forward to playing against him and his Algol build at the June PTC in Scotts Valley. If his Algol is as good as he claims, he will turn more than a few heads whilst doing very well there. If he's as bad y'all claim (and i have to admit i side with y'all, because i've yet to see a competitive Algol), then WPH is going to have a very educational weekend at that Event.

Period.

I don't plan to play him at the PTC, but I do plan to bring him to play you guys for fun. And you're right, I do like him. Though I don't think I ever said "Algol is good". I said "Decent" and "Playable". I'm enthusiastic, not naive.

SMazzurco
04-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Lots of algols attacks are played...
I have ran 3 of them in many different decks.

The 2L6 throw, the combo draw 2 cards one, and the kick with a +0H block.

Honestly at an air/void only event, when you say most your dmg comes through from BoS/Canine, i'm surprised you didn't run into more MAC's and acrobatics...

And i hope you know we are all messin and giving you a hard time, not hatin' and saying you should play someone else :P

Vexion
04-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Honestly, I've seen it run... I've proxied out pretty much the same deck before, and in both cases it ran fairly well. His second ability really depends on your luck, and how well you can keep track of your opponent's deck and cards. After a few rounds I can usually guess where people sort their cards into, which side they put their attacks in. It's human nature, and subconscious so they don't realize they do it. Afterwords, I can successfully, 70% of the time, track where the cards go during the shuffle that leads to the random card discarded. I have annoyed more than my fair share of opponents using this technique.

Really his power lies in filtering... And gods can filtering be a game changer. Using extra void discard to wipe most of your opponent's hand, while including a bunch of void draw (because they discard), and you wind up with more cards to filter... Your attacks dealt damage, recur them with body of souls.

Honestly, when it's not having the worst luck, and when you are paying explicit attention, Algol can be rather competitive... Not as competitive as other decks (like #$%@in' Mitsu or Nina), but enough to, given the right luck and good skill with the deck, give other competitive decks a run for their money.

Understanding the subtle art of psychological manipulation and intimidation also helps. Unnerve your opponent well enough and they're bound to misplay... It's especially destined to happen when you start to, or at least make the appearance of, beating them with a "weak character". This aspect is what WPH needs to work on... You hear me man!

Of course, I'm one who thrives on taking "horrible decks" and proving people wrong. I've done it in YGO, Battle Spirits, and pretty much every other card game I've played. And I'm running at about an 80% success rate.

Notes: I edited my previous post to throw all this in.... But with the new posts afterwords I just cut them out and put them here, lol.

RockStar
04-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Even if it's for casual play, bring'em on, i say!! The wider variety of decks present in June the better!!

Lookin' forward to reacquainting with old(er) friends, and makin' new ones this Summer!! :)

SMazzurco
04-01-2011, 02:30 PM
I said "Decent" and "Playable". I'm enthusiastic, not naive.

Thread won. lol. If i was drinking milk i would of just spit it out :P

Wild Party Hat
04-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Lots of algols attacks are played...
I have ran 3 of them in many different decks.

The 2L6 throw, the combo draw 2 cards one, and the kick with a +0H block.

Honestly at an air/void only event, when you say most your dmg comes through from BoS/Canine, i'm surprised you didn't run into more MAC's and acrobatics...

And i hope you know we are all messin and giving you a hard time, not hatin' and saying you should play someone else :P

Absolutely, I would give myself wayyyy more crap were I in your shoes. As for MAC and Acrobatic - my playgroup doesn't have them, which is why I say that he is only decent, and why I wouldn't play him at the PTC.

Thread won. lol. If i was drinking milk i would of just spit it out :P

SUCCESS!!

dutpotd
04-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Wait, you came second in a nine man event with Algol? So there is a play group where 8 out of 9 players play as Algol !!! He's not even a starter deck character, I don't get why everyone would have such great access to him.

Birch
04-01-2011, 03:58 PM
No disrespect WPH just puttin my 2 cents in on Algol. I do disagree with vexion that he can be competitive tho. He just isn't good enough and ur wins would most likely come from lucky draws and bad checks by the opponent neither of which you have any say in. He is jut a character that can win and get lucky. I believe he is probably a lot better to run in the void air Cardpool than in the actual standard meta.

Grizzlegrom
04-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Wait, you came second in a nine man event with Algol? So there is a play group where 8 out of 9 players play as Algol !!! He's not even a starter deck character, I don't get why everyone would have such great access to him.

Nice dut lol...

vaporgecko
04-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Honestly, I've seen it run... I've proxied out pretty much the same deck before, and in both cases it ran fairly well. His second ability really depends on your luck, and how well you can keep track of your opponent's deck and cards. After a few rounds I can usually guess where people sort their cards into, which side they put their attacks in. It's human nature, and subconscious so they don't realize they do it. Afterwords, I can successfully, 70% of the time, track where the cards go during the shuffle that leads to the random card discarded. I have annoyed more than my fair share of opponents using this technique.

This is why I not only shuffle, but insist that my opponent rolls a die if we are going to be doing anything randomly. I always have my player's set of dice with me at events so we can roll a die that matches the number fo cards in hand +1-2.

Really his power lies in filtering... And gods can filtering be a game changer. Using extra void discard to wipe most of your opponent's hand, while including a bunch of void draw (because they discard), and you wind up with more cards to filter... Your attacks dealt damage, recur them with body of souls.

Honestly, when it's not having the worst luck, and when you are paying explicit attention, Algol can be rather competitive... Not as competitive as other decks (like #$%@in' Mitsu or Nina), but enough to, given the right luck and good skill with the deck, give other competitive decks a run for their money.

I agree that Yoshi gave him a lot of tools, and Red Horizon gave him even more. I think he can definitely be a decent deck build, but I do not think he can out perform any of his counter-parts. I feel that there is no (competitive) point to playing him unless you are using his character specific stuff because of this.

Understanding the subtle art of psychological manipulation and intimidation also helps. Unnerve your opponent well enough and they're bound to misplay... It's especially destined to happen when you start to, or at least make the appearance of, beating them with a "weak character". This aspect is what WPH needs to work on... You hear me man!

I do not think this point is valid because you are depending on your opponent making a mistake to gain a game-winning advantage. If you opponent plays perfectly, then you need to depend on a reliable deck to push your way to victory, something that Algol is getting closer to, but not quite at yet.

Of course, I'm one who thrives on taking "horrible decks" and proving people wrong. I've done it in YGO, Battle Spirits, and pretty much every other card game I've played. And I'm running at about an 80% success rate.

Notes: I edited my previous post to throw all this in.... But with the new posts afterwords I just cut them out and put them here, lol.

Athena
04-25-2011, 11:54 PM

80% success rate? Then why aren't you ever in top four? I agree with vaporgecko; Algol is not competitive in any current incarnation. Try playing a deck with a more competitive character.

Magnusotls
04-26-2011, 01:43 AM
kablamo

NJBrock22
04-26-2011, 02:07 AM
80% success rate? Then why aren't you ever in top four? I agree with vaporgecko; Algol is not competitive in any current incarnation. Try playing a deck with a more competitive character.

beeing just a WEE Bit harsh on him aint ya Athena? I mean don't tell someone not to play a character they like... that'll turn someone away from the game quickly if they don't have somewhat thick skin... please chose your words a little more carefully(not singling you out but some people need to learn to be smart with their words).

now as for Algol, the POTENTIAL is there for him to win a tournament... but unfortunately he is overshadowed by a lot of characters, i'm convinced someone will eventually find a way to break him but i'm unsure when that time will come, sigh.

Birch
04-26-2011, 10:05 AM
My vote is for never

SMazzurco
04-26-2011, 10:24 AM
I may be wrong but i think Athena is part of his playgroup so the "harshness" might of been misunderstood...

i mean in know for a fact i am way harder on member of my playgroup than "strangers" lol. (5 minutes Aj...thats all i need :P)

and because stuff can be "misunderstood" on the internet, i am harder on them in a playful jesting way, <3 my playgroup (no homo)

Wild Party Hat
04-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Yes Vexion, Athena and I are all part of the same playgroup.

TripsEX
05-08-2011, 01:47 PM
God, Algol is so fscking terrible.

kilik850
06-02-2011, 10:39 AM
God, Algol is so fscking terrible.

He's not terrible in legacy...if you're the opponent and you're playing ::Voldo:: :D Then it's funny as hell!