PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else having this problem?

Vexion
04-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Is anyone else having horrible, or impossible, shuffles in OCTGN? Allow me to explain.

Lisa and I have played each other several times. Over these games, we have both noticed something happen. It happens every now and then offline, but it is impossible to happen so many times in a row, which it does online.

The program is horrible at shuffling. It really is. After many games, we have noticed that attacks group together, no matter what, in 2s or 3s in any amount, there are several cards that have always clumped together in the same copies of 2 to 4, and for decks with about 16 attacks and just foundations, the opening hand always appears to be 3 foundations and 3 attacks, with 2 foundations followed by 2 attacks on top of the deck.

After some more resets, and various numbers of shuffling, it very nearly always does this. Roughly 95% of the time.... At one point during my experiments I shuffled, literally, 50 times. I counted... Same... Exact... Thing. Throughout the entire deck.

I'm not sure if this is a problem in the core programming, or in the UFS addon programming..... But has anyone else had this problem?

Now, before ya'll go off on me, let me say this.

I know things like this happen offline, but it is statistically impossible to wind up having such an occurrence so often. Lisa and I were playing, down to the last card, decks we had offline.... Decks we've played enough to know that such a thing simply does not happen more than twice, maybe thrice in a row, no matter what the shuffling style is.

I'd be more willing to play if OCTGN didnt have this problem... But for now I'm just going to use it as a database.... It simply does not provide proper play tests, compared to offline. You're better off proxying card.

rAn
04-03-2011, 09:37 AM
I personally haven't noticed any issues like that, but i may be in the minority

Shinguyi
04-03-2011, 12:42 PM
It hasn't happened to me, and it does happen to me in real life, a lot. Checking 7 foundations, drawing 5 attacks, drawing 4 foundations, checking 4 attacks.

But it may just as rAn said, being int he minority.

tannerface
04-04-2011, 03:31 AM
I've had that kind of luck in real life. Usually I will play a certain 2 cc attack in my deck and that attack will always and I mean always be the second or third card I check no matter how I shuffle. When that happens I stop playing that card. On the topic at hand it has only happened to me once. Also as to your proxy thing, I've done that and it has its own problems: 1 it is slow to actually put together and shuffle two decks to play against themselves. 2 It is limited to what you have on hand, which for me is nothing since my playgroup keeps all the cards at one house and I am usually too busy to go over there and spend an hour building a deck that might not work. 3 Proxies are great if you have one of two things, a lot of printer ink+time or a lot of time+time.

I mean OCTGN has allowed me to make decks that I would never bother with IRL. Which is cool for my imagination and learning the cards by heart. The fact that it can take as little as 5 mins to build a deck is what I find so great about it. I have prolly made and played around with about 30 decks in this past week. One of the things I learned is that siggy hurts... a lot. As does mitsu not as much as siggy but more consistent dmg since he can force things thorugh. 7hsers die with just about 2 of anything. Order controls better than death, in that since commiting problem foundations is much easier and less costly than trying to negate them.

That is a good amount of stuff I had not really known since I have not been able to play much. I also got to play king for the first time since we made him. I really do like where he is at and I think he is pretty much the perfect throw character.

TripsEX
04-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Who the :):):):) is Lisa?

Zardis
04-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Well, I have had a similar issue testing my deck. Not many times but most of them. For example:

Draw 4 attacks, 3 foundations. Play foundations and I can't get to pay the second or the third because of the bad ccs. After that I draw only attacks. I am forced to either attack or go discarding them to see if I get more foundations.

The other is, I get lots of foundations first hand with almost only attacks for ccs :/

and I think I run like 16 attacks.

Dillon
04-10-2011, 05:33 PM
i dont have this problem

rAn
04-10-2011, 05:38 PM
are you guys shuffling sufficiently? If you're only shuffling once or twice it's not going to randomize it enough. I usually shuffle like 5-8 times before drawing and never really have any out of the ordinary experiences. I would argue that i go on 'streaks' of checking attacks/foundations more in RL than on OCTGN.

Zardis
04-10-2011, 05:40 PM
oh yeah at first i only did it twice to test but since I'm used to YVD's (Yu-Gi-Oh Virtual Desktop) bad shuffling I am used to shuffle around 8-10 times :P haha so maybe I just shuffled too much xDD