PDA

View Full Version : Prices of Boxes...

Hayamachop
06-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Hey guys I was about to order some boxes from jasco but then i saw the prices!!! Whats up with that? I could barely afford to buy some boxes at 50$ each..i think many other people were in the same situation, what do you guys think?

Ninjazanus
06-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Yeah, I was a little shocked as well, but Jasco is a small company. Its pretty much only got UFS to work with and I bet they're a little strapped for cash right now. I'm trying to understand why it is the way it is, but I'm pretty hesitant about shelling out 100 bucks a box even if it is buy 2 get 1 free.

Hayamachop
06-14-2010, 02:40 PM
I cannot continue to play this game if prices stay this high so I will wait for the prices to come down. If not I know the Austin,TX area (at least the people i know) wont be playing.

Judas225
06-14-2010, 03:01 PM
The prices listed are just a few dollars above what most of us were already paying for retail from our shops. The problem is those discount sites are taking revenue away from the small card shops.
Strangely enough, though, I don't see how or why discount sites (CSI) were able to sell UFS so cheap when it looks like Magic and WoW are being sold directly at retail.
Anyways, my playgroup and I don't have much problem with the new prices. We'll just have to buy slowly and make the best out of what we have.

Hayamachop
06-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Our local shop was able to sell for a similar price after including shipping to us (maybe a few bucks more)

Baranor
06-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Jasco games is selling its product at a very competitive price with this promotion.

Just like that Taco Bell commercial, you can think about it as 95.76 x 2 and one item for free or you can think about 3 items for 63.84 each.

That price is pretty darn competitive in this market. 2.66 per pack is VERY good especially direct from the retailer. The thing we have to remember most is that we love this game and want it to continue. If you want to play a game that we can get for 50 cents a pack, I can show you the Lara Croft Tomb Raider CCG.

ATLDrew
06-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Also Jasco will be selling product to distributors at cost. So if CSI or the other internet retailers can get them cheap, Im sure you will see a price drop. And Baranor's absolutely right. If we're not buying product , this game is going to die again. Jason and Co. have spent a LOT of money to get this game back on in its feet and unless we show them some love it's gonna be another very sad state of the game.

I think a lot of people were spoiled by the 2 boxes for 50 bucks promo that FFG was doing as the game was fizzling out. Keep in that mind that was to move product for the game they were, unbeknown to most of us, about to kill. Give it until after Gen Con and retailers will start seeing drops in prices as distributors will actually be able to get them product.

Hayamachop
06-14-2010, 08:22 PM
@Baranor: The promotion is okay but im talking about just buying a box solo especially after the promotion ends. No need to be snarky with your Lara Croft CCG.

@ATLDrew: I'd rather pay ~65 bucks a box have it go directly to jasco then pay 65 dollars a box and have it go to some supplier. Wouldn't that make a ton more sense?

ATLDrew
06-14-2010, 08:33 PM
@Baranor: The promotion is okay but im talking about just buying a box solo especially after the promotion ends. No need to be snarky with your Lara Croft CCG.

@ATLDrew: I'd rather pay ~65 bucks a box have it go directly to jasco then pay 65 dollars a box and have it go to some supplier. Wouldn't that make a ton more sense?

Yeah but then youre screwing your local game store. In which case they stop carrying UFS. In which case the game dies. Trust me, talk to a local retailer. Buying it from a retailer is helping Jasco just as much as buying it from him directly as the retailer buys it from the distributor who in turns buys it from Jasco. Everybody wins!

jason
06-15-2010, 03:56 AM
Hey guys! Jason here,

Just to clear things up about the prices of UFS cards:

Our retail price listed on our site is exactly the same as it has always been with STG and FFG. Remember we are the publisher and set the standard retail price. If we sell lower than our game stores, we will put them out of business, or keep them from ordering UFS. Your local game store should always be able to sell at, or below retail price to the players, we do not want to compete with them. If you see our UFS boxes consistently going for $25-$50 you should sell your cards, because that means the game is clearly not doing well. If a TCG company sells their boxes for the same price required to print the cards, then they are obviously trying to get out of the business and cover their expenses.

So, that having been said, we will do our very best to keep boxes and packs worth the investment. We will be adding some promo's and ultra rares to starter decks, and we are making promotional cards much more available. We have already got FFG to send us all of their remaining promo cards, and will be making them available on our site, and to your local player groups. We will also make sure that boxes in the future are worth buying. No more boxes full of useless assets, and cards that you would never use.

I hope that clears up the state of the prices as of now. I also want you all to know that I personally love the UFS card game and if we could give everyone in the world free cards we would, however because I love this game so much, I am going to do everything in my power to make sure that it stays around and only gets better every day.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all at GenCon and remember, this year is UFS' first and only proxy legal Worlds Event in all 3 formats!

Fight On!

Jypsy
06-15-2010, 09:13 AM
If there are players out there who actually thought that $50 boxes were the normal price for UFS then it is no wonder the game didn't sell as well as it needed to under STG/FFG.

$3.99 a pack is standard MSRP folks, it's what you should expect to pay at a retailer where you play the game. Most stores will give a break on buying by the box or case, but nowhere near $50 a box.

B-Rad
06-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Jasco, now don't get me wrong I haven't bought a box of Oofs in a long time, but I certainly don't remember them going for 98.58 (all figures Canadian) BEFORE tax. And if the stores are expected to sell them around that price, I know I won't be paying 111.40 for a box from my LGS. Sorry :S

Jypsy
06-15-2010, 11:02 AM
We sell them for 89.99 a box USD as we give a discount for purchasing a full box. I am sure if you talk to your local game store and put some money down they will give you a break on the boxes. I doubt though that it will be comparable to the old CSI prices.

If people really want the game to succeed, they have to understand that buying from online deep discounters will only hurt the game especially now that it is with a much smaller company than either of the previous owners.

B-Rad
06-15-2010, 11:41 AM
I want the game to succeed, but I can't afford to throw down 100+ dollars a box ;) And keep in mind, some stores may decided NOT to pick up UFS again. I know at World's Collide we had UFS sitting on a shelf collecting dust until they finally took it down. Betcha they were soured on all that wasted product

Baranor
06-15-2010, 12:20 PM
@ Hayamachop: Ha! Sorry. No intent to be snarky. I was just saying that it's good to look for deals, but if everyone cuts corners through the internet the storefronts go under. As to Lara Croft, my friends and I have been buying boxes of old dead CCG's for super cheap and having fun playing them. It was on my mind.

I love UFS and am excited to see it grow under a new, smaller company.

Jypsy
06-15-2010, 12:53 PM
I want the game to succeed, but I can't afford to throw down 100+ dollars a box ;) And keep in mind, some stores may decided NOT to pick up UFS again. I know at World's Collide we had UFS sitting on a shelf collecting dust until they finally took it down. Betcha they were soured on all that wasted product

Yeah we are definitely soured on all that wasted product. We moved quite a bit when UFS was really popular locally, but the sudden dramatic rotation hurt immensely, followed relatively soon by a sudden cancellation of the game.

You are exactly right, many stores won't carry it anymore due to the history of the game, especially if players can just get boxes from online retailers super cheap.

All I am saying is that if the game is available at a local retailer, try to support them if you hope to have OP events in the store. If they don't carry it, of course buy it online. That's what the internet is for.

Honestly, I wasn't planning on stocking the Jasco-run UFS at all, but I spoke to our players and it came down to them wanting to have at least a small amount in-stock at all times. Most of them agree that while they won't be getting as much of it, they still want to play the game, so I won't be ordering the quantities that I did last year this time. We will keep at least two boxes (one sealed, one open) on hand for our players. If it sells well we will keep it well-stocked. If not, well then shame on me for being an idiot 3 times now.

Tifer
06-16-2010, 02:58 AM
Honestly, I think it's a fair price point. I mean, you're going to pay that much, if not more, for pretty much ANY card game.
Plus, I'm more than willing to shell out a little extra money to make sure a game that I love survives.

Knightmaregol
06-16-2010, 05:07 PM
I'll say I was a little let down originally with the prices. But this was strictly due to not having paid more than $60 for a box of cards ever. Cleveland isn't a haven for ccg's and hardly anyone carries anything outside of Magic, Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh. So my buying came from online retailers. I've only played UFS for a year, but I bought over a dozen boxes online through ebay and a few other places.

But, in comparison to other games this is a very fair price. And I will support UFS. I'm tired of watching the games I've really enjoyed playing go down because of low sales ( Overpower, Raw Deal and UFS).

Target X
06-29-2010, 02:14 PM
The trick is to buy as a group. Not everyone's looking for the same stuff so sharing boxes is the most cost efficient way to go. Also, less unused cards laying around.