PDA

View Full Version : get off the high horse and sell out!

KeijiMaeda
07-10-2010, 04:26 PM
People could blame the previous downfall of UFS on many things but I have always though it was because of the high horse the creators rode in at the beginning in saying they would not sell the game at large retailers like Wal Mart or Target.

You are limiting your target demographic and potential customers/fans. Tons of people play Magic and Yugioh... How many of them actually play sanctioned tournaments or high level play? probably a much smaller percentage than the actual consumers stats would show because many just buy and pick up teh game leisurely at large retail stores. and play at home or with friends.

I'm glad to hear that Jasco Games is going to be able to attempt to reboot UFS.... But please sell out. Sell at wal mart. Sell at target... Costco even! More people will see the game. more people will play and probably considering how small the base is right now more will start to play at tournaments as well.

UFS has failed once already here in San Diego were i'm from. Previous players and store owners alike fear that UFS wont fully bounce back and are weary of supporting the game or spending money on it. If its sold at large retailers that wont have to be a problem. more people will be playing. Small hobby shops will notice it. And start to carry it too.

So what's Jasco's stance on the whole "we only cater to core hobby shops"?
Specially consider that most people that do play games like street fighter, tekken, soul calibur, probably bought their games at wal mart, target, or even gamestop.

NJBrock22
07-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Game Crazy, Game Haven, Hollywood Videos & EB Games/Game Stop i can understand as they are SOLEY Video games and accessories and would make sense to sell it there, but the problem is and you HAVE to understand this... the game is MEANT to bring people back to their core hobby store to play tournaments and to help bolster their stores thru PURCHASING product, think of it this way if you go to a store as a player of that area and you NEVER buy something how do you think that makes the owner feel, trust me i did that for a short time in WWE Raw Deal and quickly decided it was time to support my local store, yeah it would make MORE sense to put it in a more global market like Wal-Mart or Target but really... ya do that... why would ANYONE buy from their local gamestore anymore... ya have to find a ballance to make that work.

N.J.

Sketch
07-10-2010, 06:10 PM
... why would ANYONE buy from their local gamestore anymore...

Because you can't hold tournaments at Target.

Seriously though, here's a few scenarios. What if your local shop is run by some sweaty neckbeard you can't stand, smells like feet and old milk, and there isn't another shop around for miles? Do you just quit playing UFS?

What if you have no local game shop? Are you SOL? What if you want product -now-, but your local is a lazy bastard who won't put product on the shelf for another week after you order it? What if you just want to play with your friends, in your own home?

What if you buy boxes from CSI or off Ebay or something, at a deeper discount than your local provides? We've all done it, we've all cut out our local guy to save a few bucks. Did you take advantage of the offer FFG put out when the game tanked initially? Cut out your local shop there, too. Do you still go play, pay tournament fees, maybe pick up a couple packs or a starter deck? Probably.

You can't just cater to the niche. You have to be a little bit more broad to bring in people on the fence, maybe people who would never even entertain the thought of spending time at a hobby shop. Do hobby stores still sell a ton of yugioh and magic despite the two of them being available at mass-market retailers? Sure. UFS should be no different, really, and if the price point at wal-mart and your local is the same, then who cares? If product is getting sold, it's keeping the game alive. Win-win. Get it on the shelves!

Tagrineth
07-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Say what you want but the "hobby stores only" business strategy has BLATANTLY FAILED not just once but TWICE now. It's a BAD IDEA. It doesn't work the way you want it to.

Judas225
07-10-2010, 08:58 PM
I seem to be agreeing with a lot of people on these forums lately. That said, I more or less second what Sketch already said.

If the price in any store is the same as you'll pay in your local game store then people will be more willing to buy from the LGS instead of waiting to go somewhere that sells product at lower prices. The problem of cutting out the LGS comes from sites like CSI and certain warehouse stores selling product at almost half of the normal retail price. What needs to happen is for Jasco to put in some sort of restriction to stop companies from selling so cheap compared to anybody else. I've noticed Magic sells for retail on CSI, there should be a way to make UFS sell the same way.

Tagrineth
07-10-2010, 11:08 PM
What needs to happen is for Jasco to put in some sort of restriction to stop companies from selling so cheap compared to anybody else. I've noticed Magic sells for retail on CSI, there should be a way to make UFS sell the same way.

There's just too many web sites to police effectively, though it's sad that CSI being a HUGE and well-known web site for UFS got away with $50 boxes for so damn long before STG told them to knock it off. :\

Judas225
07-10-2010, 11:26 PM
There's just too many web sites to police effectively, though it's sad that CSI being a HUGE and well-known web site for UFS got away with $50 boxes for so damn long before STG told them to knock it off. :\

I think we could have quite a bit of success even only watching the larger sites. They're the biggest problem since everybody knows about them. Sure we can't police everything there is, but if we can target the larger sites at first, the smaller sites are either going to be flooded with customers, meaning we'll hear about it eventually through purchases or players, or ignored because they can't bring in enough stock to satisfy more than a few individuals at a time.

I wasn't in the game until the very end of STG, so I don't really know if the prices ever rose. I remember boxes at 50 since I started, though recently we've been buying quite a bit from our own shop anyways as a way of saying thanks.

Hatman
07-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Say what you want but the "hobby stores only" business strategy has BLATANTLY FAILED not just once but TWICE now. It's a BAD IDEA. It doesn't work the way you want it to.

You do know that it was a marketing strategy that was conceived because they couldn't sell their wares at the larger stores, right?

I seriously don't get the rage in this thread. They started out like that because Wal-Mart and the like wouldn't touch the product with a 10 foot pole. How do you turn that into an opportunity? By saying that you didn't want them to in the first place. If they bite (because a LOT of people end up playing the game, like around set 2-3 when the game was relatively hugely popular), show some leg and start testing the waters there.

Tagrineth
07-12-2010, 12:31 PM
I get that, Hatman, I'm just pointing out the most obvious reason why people clinging to that philosophy is a BAD idea.

Hatman
07-12-2010, 12:54 PM
I get that, Hatman, I'm just pointing out the most obvious reason why people clinging to that philosophy is a BAD idea.
Yeah, I just grabbed your post because it was the shortest.

Baranor
07-12-2010, 02:03 PM
From what I can see of Magic, Yugioh and the others, the big box stores are not stealing revenue from the good old brick and mortar stores. People like the convenience of buying there, but that's just the gateway drug. If you have more people playing the game, there are more people that are stopping into hobby stores to pick up cards, even if they are at a slightly higher price.

It's that age old question in marketing. Is it better to have a larger base of consumers but with more competition or is it better to have a smaller base of consumers with less competition. We have tried the latter, let's get on the former.

Eithinis
07-12-2010, 02:10 PM
They tried setting up with walmart and the like, and they just weren't able to. They wanting things that were either a) magic, or b) would get kids to go "Oh oh buy me this"(like YGO and Pokemon.) regardless of if they played it.

Baranor
07-12-2010, 02:39 PM
I can understand that, but that's where the licenses come in. I was putting cards in a pack for a trade recently and a co-working saw the Cassandra card on top and went "OOOH! I didn't know they made Soul Calibur cards!" The license gets you in, but the mechanics keep you.

Eithinis
07-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Tell that to walmart. I'm just saying what Steve said to my personally; they tried to get walmart to carry it, and no dice. :/

Hatman
07-13-2010, 08:23 AM
Tell that to walmart. I'm just saying what Steve said to my personally; they tried to get walmart to carry it, and no dice. :/

That's what the company told all of us when asked.

ShadowDragon
07-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Here's what I suggested to Jasco recently (and granted, there's no telling if Walmart or Target would even carry UFS at this point)- Sell starter decks at the general stores, but sell both starters and booster packs at brick and morter stores. The starters could have some insert advertising the Jasco site, and we could get some sort of store locator going again so that the people who bought the starters at some random Walmart could be able to find their local game store. This would still get UFS out there, but would direct people to the game stores if they wanted to improve their decks without going online. It was just an idea though.

Yoko Charming Fox
07-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Seriously though, here's a few scenarios. What if your local shop is run by some sweaty neckbeard you can't stand, smells like feet and old milk, and there isn't another shop around for miles? Do you just quit playing UFS?

Have your been to my store recently? Because it sure sounds like it. lol.

Kidding aside I would love to see UFS at Wal-Mart and Target, but I don't think that it would work out verry well until they get some of the old licences back.

Omega
07-14-2010, 12:14 AM
Sell them at Target, because Wal-Mart sucks anyway.

But yeah, get those licenses back! D:

TheWorldWarrior
07-14-2010, 12:17 AM
Here's what I suggested to Jasco recently (and granted, there's no telling if Walmart or Target would even carry UFS at this point)- Sell starter decks at the general stores, but sell both starters and booster packs at brick and morter stores. The starters could have some insert advertising the Jasco site, and we could get some sort of store locator going again so that the people who bought the starters at some random Walmart could be able to find their local game store. This would still get UFS out there, but would direct people to the game stores if they wanted to improve their decks without going online. It was just an idea though.
This is a great idea, if as you said, any retailer would be willing to pick it up. The game needs to increase its' base. I got into the game because I love SF and fighting games in general. If Jasco can get even an older license that someone 30 years old like myself can reminisce about some would pick it up, or any license really, I think its what brings people into the game, it did for me. BTW Shadowar is pretty awesome, but I didn't realize that until after jumping in.

TripsEX
07-14-2010, 11:06 PM
As an employee of my CORE HOBBY RETAILER, I can tell you it doesn't matter where you sell UFS. You just need to sell UFS.

Bloodrunstrue
07-15-2010, 02:16 PM
As an employee of my CORE HOBBY RETAILER, I can tell you it doesn't matter where you sell UFS. You just need to sell UFS.

Well of course.

But still I'm sure UFS would benefit from selling out, no? Then the game should have more opportunities to sell. :P