PDA

View Full Version : UFS Round 3 - Ask a question, get an answer!

ATLDrew
06-14-2010, 04:32 PM
Hey everybody. This is mainly to help the new guard get acquainted to the game. So, like the title suggests, if you have any (non-rules) questions, please feel free to ask them. Don't be shy. We haven't haven't had a forum in months and want to talk strategy!

So ask some f'ing questions!

kryzenbeastfang
06-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Alright, I'll bite.

As a question, how viable would a Lizardman reversal/discard deck be in an actual tournament?

I'm thinking Void/Water, SoulCalibur 3 version, Soul Arena.
It seems interesting to me, and Lizardman being one of my favorite characters, I was wondering just how viable it actually is, or is discard easily countered in a structured environment?

ATLDrew
06-14-2010, 04:51 PM
That all depends. If we're talking Soul Arena Lizard man I assume you mean the 7HS set one. Which means you get access to Legacy card support. In my humble opinion, Void will remain one of the top 3 symbols in Legacy until the end of time. Cards like Emptiness, Charisma,Ancient Insight, Awakening, and Voids ridiculous pool of overpowered discard are all huge. Reverse waterfall gives you a consistent, recurring reversal that shares water.

As for the anti-discard, yes it is very powerful in Legacy. Pure of Heart is devastating for liz on account of 20 squishy life. Dodge step pretty much ensures your opponent gets to do whatever they want to you if you arent able to shred their hand on their attack. Legacy discard is very strong and lizardman seems okay, but when you're going to rip up their hand, you have make sure you aren't walking into a handful of blue discard hate. This is a lot easier first game as people will have sideboarded them in yet.

Now if you'd like, I have been playing a Standard Lizardman (heavily inspired by Mr. Jascogames himself, Jason. Shout outs to Texas Lizardman) build to some success that does exactly what you're talking about. The discard hate is much weaker in Standard but the discard is also much more tuned and less broken. I'll post it in the deck building forum soon.

kryzenbeastfang
06-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Please and thank you!

Dragoku
06-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Hey I've got a question. Why are you such a lame ass?

^ This one ^ oh and i love you drew..... do you love me too?

kryzenbeastfang
06-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Why are you being so rude?

You've only posted several times, and I can already tell that there may be several conflicts between us.

However, I'd like to alert you that if you're just trying to troll, it's not really going to work, as I don't get mad, or insult you back.

In fact, I'll just take you're trolling and turn it into constructive feedback!

Well, Mist, that question can be considered hurtful, and is somewhat off-topic. Why not try changing "lame ass" into something like "Why would you run a Lizardman void deck, when X character can perform the job just as well, if not better?"

Or, "Hey, I've got a question. What cards were you planning on using?"

This way, everyone wins.

Dragoku
06-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Why are you being so rude?

You've only posted several times, and I can already tell that there may be several conflicts between us.

However, I'd like to alert you that if you're just trying to troll, it's not really going to work, as I don't get mad, or insult you back.

In fact, I'll just take you're trolling and turn it into constructive feedback!

Well, Mist, that question can be considered hurtful, and is somewhat off-topic. Why not try changing "lame ass" into something like "Why would you run a Lizardman void deck, when X character can perform the job just as well, if not better?"

Or, "Hey, I've got a question. What cards were you planning on using?"

This way, everyone wins.

just so you know trolls auto win if you respond to them..... you don't have to get mad or even insult them..... you give them attention and they've won.... you have already lost this match but you still might win the war

kryzenbeastfang
06-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Ah, my apologies then.
Thanks for the advice!

However, it's somewhat disheartening that the forums haven't been up a full day, even, and there's already trolls :/

ATLDrew
06-14-2010, 10:01 PM
That particular troll is actually a member of my playgroup. He has been grounded. All is good.

Anyways back on topic.

What are yall metagames looking like? Who is winning? Who is bad? What are you guys playing and how is it doing?

kryzenbeastfang
06-14-2010, 10:15 PM
Well, as of yet, I don't really have a local metagame, as we only have like two or three players, though I'm working on getting more into the game (only made easier once the demo decks are released :D)

But in general, like in the current competitive metagame, how viable would this kind of deck be?

Eithinis
06-14-2010, 10:28 PM
A discard void reversal lizardman is very viable in the current meta. It may not be 100% the best deck out there, but it can certainly be competitive.

Nubian God
06-14-2010, 11:13 PM
The reason anti-discard is so effective isn't because of the mechanics of the abilities, but the mere threat of somebody having it in their decks scared a lot of discard pilots from even playing their style. This, in turn, led to fewer people packing the anti-discard, which in turn led to some of the stronger discard pilots to go all out, like a wolf among sheep! Oh, the rivers of blood!

If you think about it, especially with how unpopular blind discard is, you could get away with it a whole lot more than you'll run into someone who's prepared for it. Look at the stats and other "abilities" on the anti-discard cards. Meh-ish damage pump? Asset destruction that relies on you to run low checks or stack your deck? Outside of playing Yi-Shan (Tieh Lei, Iron Thunder synergizes awesomely with him, btw), you'd only run these cards in a side board IF the meta had crazy discard.

So go forth, with your wicked discarding ways! Just don't blame us if you ruin discard for everyone else and make anti-discard popular again. I can see it now...

"Oh, there goes kryzenbeastfang. You don't want to mess with him, he'll drop your hand!"
"Nah, that's cool. I make sure to keep at least one Soul Wave** on me at all times."

Da_ghetto_gamer
06-15-2010, 04:10 PM
That particular troll is actually a member of my playgroup. He has been grounded. All is good.

Anyways back on topic.

What are yall metagames looking like? Who is winning? Who is bad? What are you guys playing and how is it doing?

Well our metagame before the crash consisted off 2 hopefully getting ready to be banned characters(hata and astrid), super fun yun-seoung, dirty king, and a few other characters scattered in the mix but might have had 1 or 2 tourneys where these characters didnt make at least 2 out of the 3 top spots if not all 3

Im really looking forward to some diversity in the game since weve only got a few sets to work with anyways and once astrid and hata are nerfed/gone i think more characters can compete

As for legacy and extended i really wanna know what everyone is playing and whats winning i havent had a chance to get my playgroup together yet and play any games...hoping thatll happen sometime soon

Nubian God
06-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Hopefully the characters will get nerf'd, as the standard format is pretty slim in the ways of characters as it is. Like, put a cap on the amount of damage Astrid can add using her ability, or Hata only being able to modify the zones of his attacks.

NJBrock22
06-15-2010, 10:43 PM
on topic:

yes, Void Lizardman is dumb extended, legacy and to an extent standard; and anti-discard is that good against them, Though if you're playing Lizardman4 or 3 Water is probably your best bet or even Chaos for Liz4.

new topic:

i have a lot of strategy guide/spotlight articles on teamcanadaonline.com anyone want me to transfer them over here and have y'all look them over and give me your opinion on them.

N.J.

Sketch
06-16-2010, 02:03 AM
Brock - Anything you could transfer over and put up would be great, I'm sure. I know a lot of us are chomping at the bit prepping for Worlds, and anything to get the brain-juices going would be good stuff.

Tifer
06-16-2010, 02:35 AM
Ah... good 'ol Sogetsu.. The memories. Haha.

NJBrock22
06-16-2010, 03:28 AM
hmm sogetsu... i think i actually HAVE an article on him i'll have to check my cpu in the morning, don't worry i'll have them transfered over here pretty soon.

N.J.

Da_ghetto_gamer
06-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Hopefully the characters will get nerf'd, as the standard format is pretty slim in the ways of characters as it is. Like, put a cap on the amount of damage Astrid can add using her ability, or Hata only being able to modify the zones of his attacks.

Id be happy to see hatas other ability say speed or damage that would help alot and astrid could commit herself instead of a foundation