PDA

View Full Version : Election coming up

tannerface
06-01-2011, 06:30 AM
So who might you be voting for? Personally, I have thought about not voting at all, due to the fact that it seems every election is voting for the least worst candidate. Though after doing a little research on Ralph Nader, and assuming he even runs next year, I think I will be voting for him. In short, even if Nader doesn't run, I am no longer voting Rep or Dem.

NJBrock22
06-01-2011, 07:19 AM
whoever is a True Conservative, sad thing is the real conservatives will be weeded out by the media like they were last election... *sigh*

N.J.

tannerface
06-01-2011, 07:44 AM
I wouldn't call it weeding out, I would call it totally shut out. The only true news is online and even then you have to decipher the propaganda. I just hate to believe that there isn't ONE person out there that can be uncorrupted.

NJBrock22
06-01-2011, 07:47 AM
yeah i listen mainly to Conservative Talk Radio so i know where most of the BS is hence why i refuse to watch the news on TV anymore... even sports news is getting bad... *Sigh* why cant we have Reagan 2.0... ever...

N.J.

tannerface
06-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Reagan 2.0?

Wild Party Hat
06-01-2011, 11:07 AM
I feel the liberals need a representative in this thread. If Palin runs for office I will laugh. If she wins (god forbid) I will leave the country.

yeah most of the BS is in Conservative Talk Radio

Fixed. ; )

tannerface
06-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Lol at party hat. Also I agree, I think there needs to be more than just 2 parties. Which really the two parties might as well be one party cause they both take money from corparations to run for president anyway. Does that not see like it should be illegal? That's pretty much letting them buy the next president.

Wild Party Hat
06-01-2011, 12:37 PM
It isn't illegal because the money is donated. It's the same as a company sponsoring a sports game. They fund the event, and get good advertising from it. It's more of an investment that a purchase.

tannerface
06-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Did you just compare sponsoring a sports team to sponsoring someone who is going to potentially take part in running a country? I would be much happier if presidential candidates weren't sponsored by anyone. Nor do I believe that there should be lobbyists but that's a different topic.

Wild Party Hat
06-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Whether or not people would be happier one way or the other does not come into the equation. Candidates need campaign money and it can't all come from donations and bake sales. It's absolutely true that companies sponsor candidates, though they don't really use that term.

It's not really a matter of personal opinion, it's just that companies give money to presedential campaigns. I was just using sports as an example of something that is sponsored, I could have just as easily said TV shows or concerts.

tannerface
06-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Well I guess my question really is, do you think that is right? And I don't mean you specifically I mean anyone that reads this. Cause when you say sponsor, though they may not call it that, I think Denis rodman with a pepsi logo on his head. So really the candidates should where the logos of the companies that sponsor them lol. That would be quite the site.

Wild Party Hat
06-01-2011, 01:40 PM
I suppose you mean right both morally and legally. My personal answer to both is: I really couldn't care less. The money has got to come from somewhere, and it's not like a campaign HAS to accept the donation. I seem to recall NAMBLA trying to donate to a recent campaign, though I don't remember whose it was. The donation was rejected and life moved on. Wearing logos like a nascar car would only hurt a candidate's chances, so I don't think they would ever do that.

I don't think this is quite the problem you seem to think it is, though I see where you're comming from.

RockStar
06-01-2011, 02:50 PM
If Palin runs for office I will laugh. If she wins (god forbid) I will leave the country.

Truer words have never been spoken.

tannerface
06-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Truer words have never been spoken.

Yea I am quite certain we can all agree that if that were to happen then you could pretty much just kiss America goodbye. Though the other branches may not let her do anything.

Another thing of concern to me is bailing out companies with taxpayer money. I mean I can see the desire to try to keep jobs around. It just seems stupid in a free market economy though. If walmart were to start going under (I know it won't just hypothetically), would the government bail them out too? How is that fair to walmart's competitors? I mean if you or I start a small business we are not guaranteed to succeed with that business, so why should a large corporation be any different? Basically by bailing out those companies your denying others the opportunity to join that market.

PaulBittner
06-01-2011, 10:40 PM
I'm voting for that second guy down in the preview section standing in front of the white house. He looks like a nice guy.

PaulBittner
06-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Another thing of concern to me is bailing out companies with taxpayer money. I mean I can see the desire to try to keep jobs around. It just seems stupid in a free market economy though. If walmart were to start going under (I know it won't just hypothetically), would the government bail them out too? How is that fair to walmart's competitors? I mean if you or I start a small business we are not guaranteed to succeed with that business, so why should a large corporation be any different? Basically by bailing out those companies your denying others the opportunity to join that market.

In case any of you were wondering. ^ This guy is from DETROIT. Oh the irony.

tannerface
06-02-2011, 04:56 AM
Actually I've never lived in Detroit. Though if you say your from the D when your in other countries they get really interested in stuff you make up. As for voting for that other guy, I might vote for Paul Bitner. In fact I think all the ufs players should do a write in vote for Paul Bitner for president. Lets make it happen.

Vexion
06-02-2011, 05:36 AM
I'm a true independent... I sit on the outside, looking in and going "wtf are both parties thinking!?"..... The problem is Germany may have lost, but fascism won.... Why? Corporations run the government... Add to the fact that you have no rights, but a mere list of measly privileges that can be stripped away the moment you piss off the government...

Sad times, sad times.... The entire system has failed. We need a major spring cleaning, and a massive restructuring.....

To illustrate who I'll be voting for? Myself.

tannerface
06-02-2011, 07:22 AM
I'm a true independent... I sit on the outside, looking in and going "wtf are both parties thinking!?"..... The problem is Germany may have lost, but fascism won.... Why? Corporations run the government... Add to the fact that you have no rights, but a mere list of measly privileges that can be stripped away the moment you piss off the government...

Sad times, sad times.... The entire system has failed. We need a major spring cleaning, and a massive restructuring.....

To illustrate who I'll be voting for? Myself.

Really the system is so messed up that I don't think any one person can fix it or rather it doesn't really matter who gets put into office because even if they had all the good intentions required to fix things, it does not mean the rest of the government wouldn't stand against him. Hmm maybe we should vote for Scott Pilgrim.

Vexion
06-02-2011, 01:17 PM
it does not mean the rest of the government wouldn't stand against him

Thats why soon as I was in office I'd gather some followers and initiate a complete spring cleaning and reworking of the entire system as is.... Democracy failed people. your government no longer listens to you!

Hatman
06-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Lol at party hat. Also I agree, I think there needs to be more than just 2 parties. Which really the two parties might as well be one party cause they both take money from corparations to run for president anyway. Does that not see like it should be illegal? That's pretty much letting them buy the next president.

Coming from a country with more than 2 parties, it eventually devolves into two parties eventually, the moment all the issues become binary in thinking. All nuance is lost, because nuance can't translate in a five-second clip.

But hey, I can't vote in your election.

tannerface
06-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Funny thing about that Hatman is that even though you don't get to vote for our president, it still usually effects your country in some way. Also your right, our system isn't a two party system as it is now, but only two parties get voted for because those are the only two parties people see on tv. Most americans don't do their own research when voting, they just vote for whoever they see on tv who they think might do a good job. Sometimes people vote for who they think would do the least worst like in the Bush vs. Gore election.

Hatman
06-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Funny thing about that Hatman is that even though you don't get to vote for our president, it still usually effects your country in some way. Also your right, our system isn't a two party system as it is now, but only two parties get voted for because those are the only two parties people see on tv. Most americans don't do their own research when voting, they just vote for whoever they see on tv who they think might do a good job. Sometimes people vote for who they think would do the least worst like in the Bush vs. Gore election.
Remove all references to American politics and, well, that's pretty much the state of a lot of democratic countries right now.

Shinji Mimura
06-02-2011, 05:07 PM
The problem is that, regardless of parties, we never really vote for the best man for the job; we simply vote for the best candidate in the pool.

Whatever the case is, I'm excited for Obama's second term. When looking at presidential statistics and applying their logic, he is most likely to win a second term, in which case I'm down.

Unless Anthony Weiner ran. That dude would have my vote in a heartbeat.

tannerface
06-02-2011, 06:21 PM
That man is passionate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4zwCMf8dsc

Edit: Kinda silly that I am realizing this now but some of these videos about congress and politics on YouTube have a severe lack of views compared to stupid videos like Rebecca black. That to me is something sad to say about our general public.

Dillon
06-02-2011, 06:51 PM
That man is passionate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4zwCMf8dsc

Edit: Kinda silly that I am realizing this now but some of these videos about congress and politics on YouTube have a severe lack of views compared to stupid videos like Rebecca black. That to me is something sad to say about our general public.

well people who are in politics probably dont go on youtube as much as 13 year old girls

and i think the only reason rebecca black has so many views is because 4chan decided to attack it, if you look it has like 4x more dislikes than likes

now that i look, its a bit over 7x more dislikes than likes

tannerface
06-03-2011, 04:44 AM
Ok so maybe the Rebecca black video was a bad reference. I am just saying that there are much stupider videos on YouTube that get way more views than they probably ever should. I guess my point is more people should be researching their own governments so that they can decipher the biases that major media's carry.

Vanguard
06-03-2011, 06:24 AM
Coming from a country with more than 2 parties

What country are you from, Hatman ?

Wild Party Hat
06-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Okay, I'm back up in this thread. Tanner, you have a good point about company bailouts, and it's a problem many others are considering. It is, in fact, the main argument against them. Unfortunately, much like legacy UFS, there is no real way to balance the system. Every time there is a democratic president, the republicans complain about how he's leading America into communism and ruining the country. Every time there is a republican president the democrats complain about how dumb he is and how HE's ruining the country.

There is no unbiased opinion, even from people who aren't from America. I can't tell you how often I hear completely uninformed generalizations about American politics from foreigners.

That said, I generally try to stay away from political discussions, because everyone thinks that their own opinion is the only one that matters. But who am I kidding, I argue this crap all the time.

Hatman
06-03-2011, 09:53 AM
What country are you from, Hatman ?

Canada.

tannerface
06-03-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm quite different when it comes to arguing politics, I prefer to hear opinions of others. Now I have my own opinions of things, but just because I think things should be a certain way doesn't make what I think right or that it would even work especially with my limited knowledge of economics and politics. But that is the point of a free country and the checks and balance system. However that is also the problem, the scale is not balanced. Too much money has made its way into politics and now its more like "checks". Also, much like legacy, I refuse to believe that there is no conceivable way to balance the system.

Edit: About the sides complain about each other, You only mention the two parties. That always makes me laugh, that a good majority of people only vote for democrat or republican and don't ever do more research on the candidates than what they see on tv (not saying this describes you). One of the reasons I started this thread is more or less for awareness. I think next time you go to vote you should maybe do more research than what you see and hear on tv or the radio. Like when shinji said he would vote for congressmen Weiner. I had no clue who that guy was, but I choose to educate myself about who he was, where he is from, and what he has done. Now I know there is a bunch of stuff about him in the mainstream right now with the whole twitter thing but that really has nothing to do with what he has done or what he stands for.

tl&dr: Do your own research when voting, don't rely on mainstream media or even one source to make your mind up when it comes to who to vote for.

Hatman
06-04-2011, 10:35 AM
It's all in the way the opinion is brought forth.