PDA

View Full Version : New Job

tannerface
07-09-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm not posting this to be a jerk by bragging, I just don't like face book and consider this site a social circle of mine. In other words I actually care about some of the people on here and what is going on in their lives. On to topic,

I just got a job with a company called Medical Informatics Solutions as a desktop technician. This is a great thing for me as it is my first job in my field of study. I am very excited to work with them as it is a virtual company and eventually after my training I will be working out of my house.

So I would like to hear what is going on with you? Like what do you do for a living and what do you actually want to do for a living.

ATLDrew
07-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Congrats Tanner! Great news man. It's good to hear that people are actually finding stuff in their field with this economy.

I am a high school special education teacher going into my second year of teaching. I love my job despite it being VERY draining at times. But teachers go into teaching because they love the biz and not the money/respect.

RockStar
07-09-2011, 05:55 PM
As Drew stated, Congratz, my man!!

I'm a full-time pro-musician, and as such, i have several different revenue streams that i count on to make my overhead and have a lil' somethin' extra at the end of the month. By day, I train singers in proper technique, and style in multiple music genres (11+ years experience, full-time). I'm also in several corporate bands that are hired with regular frequency to play at different corporate events and weddings and other such function. Lastly, and most importantly imo, I'm a founding member in my band, Maybe Tuesday (.net), and we just signed our first major contract 2 years ago, released our first independent CD this past April, and are getting ready for a Fall tour later this year.

Keepin' Busy,
RockStar

Dillon
07-09-2011, 06:22 PM
im a sophomore in high school...

Link
07-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Yes Tanner! Glad to hear u got a real job. Hope its better than ur last one

Shinji Mimura
07-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Great job sir. 's always good to get the job that most closely follows what you enjoy.

I'm still in college, getting my Associate's Degree in December, -nodnod-. I am pursuing a high school teacher's certification, where I will tap into the power of my Bachelor of Arts degree to teach Japanese (or Korean, if a school is looking for any help with that).

However, that is, honestly, just to keep me afloat. My main goal is to move to South Korea, form a rock band, become world famous, and use said fame to pilot my movie career, where I will both act and direct. So yeah, big dreams. I'm sure Rock Star understands.

For now, though, I work weekeds-only at a big, gigantic movie theatre, where I am the world's greatest boss evar. And I can also tell you which movies are awesome and which suck (lookin at you Transformers 3)

RockStar
07-09-2011, 10:42 PM
However, that is, honestly, just to keep me afloat. My main goal is to move to South Korea, form a rock band, become world famous, and use said fame to pilot my movie career, where I will both act and direct. So yeah, big dreams. I'm sure Rock Star understands.

Don't hate the Playa, hate the Game. Lolz.

Shenron
07-10-2011, 01:51 AM
Congratz man.

As for me? I work in Armed Security and this August I will be going to school for my EMT certification. I hope you dig you new job.

Raikou
07-10-2011, 02:50 AM
I work for Jasco Games... nuff said.

but im happy for you tanner

tannerface
07-10-2011, 06:43 AM
Figures Rockstar actually is a rock star lol. I always enjoy seeing how truly diverse a group we are as a community. This is truly the best gaming community out there I mean this game is now even owned and operated by fans of the game.

Keep'em coming guys I really do enjoy reading about what people do for a living as you may find people who are in an area of work that you want to be in and that could be your "in". Take for instance shinji, you may want to talk to Drew and Rock about what they do and what the job is like.

Nfxon
07-10-2011, 07:29 AM
Google.

DabalRowRaizah
07-10-2011, 11:16 AM
congrats Tanner!

my contract didn't get extended so I am going to take it easy till after gencon. on a related note: hey Ben get me a job :)

mattkohls
07-10-2011, 12:29 PM
I'm a CPA, working for a big public accounting firm as an auditor for over 3 years now after I finished my undergrad and MBA.

Hatman
07-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Currently unemployed (officially), writing a book to be self-published in a feeble attempt to get some local cred and then move on to other things.

tannerface
07-11-2011, 04:57 AM
Google.

Do you really work for google?

Also OMG ITS MATT KOHL HE SO HARD COR.

Nfxon
07-11-2011, 06:25 AM
@tanner
Yes I do and I am actually curbing ALOT of excitement about saying that :D

dutpotd
07-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Congrats Tanner!

I'm an accountant working at a small (3 man) Estate and Tax Planning firm. I've been out of University with my Bachelor's degree in Commerce for about 5-6 years now. The letters that apply here in Canada are CA (Chartered Accountant).

- Garett

Hatman
07-11-2011, 12:56 PM
you people and your actually useful to finding a job degrees.

tannerface
07-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Well actually I don't have my degree yet, till December but I know what you mean. Ask Andrew about finding a job in your field of study. On a side note karma may have given me a job opportunity but I payed for it with my car since my car's back tire is one good pot hole from falling off now. Broke the same day I got the job.

Vexion
07-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Lucky, grats man. I've been trying to find a job forever (freaking california)....

I'm currently writing a relatively small novel in an attempt to self publish, while at the same time designing some games, and trying to get a collab going with any artists at my local comic creator group to make a manga (No one seems to need a writer :().

tannerface
07-12-2011, 12:46 AM
Lucky, grats man. I've been trying to find a job forever (freaking california)....

I'm currently writing a relatively small novel in an attempt to self publish, while at the same time designing some games, and trying to get a collab going with any artists at my local comic creator group to make a manga (No one seems to need a writer :().

That seems to be the case with Hatman and Drewkasa as well.

tannerface
07-12-2011, 12:47 AM
@tanner
Yes I do and I am actually curbing ALOT of excitement about saying that :D

I must say that is the LAST place I thought you would be working.

The Hurricane
07-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Man it's cool to read about everyones jobs/goals/ambitions. And congratz Tannerface on your new job!

As for me, I am going to college to get my BS in Aimation and Digital Effects, I got about one year left. Right now I do freelance work for logo and graphic design for various companies. And pretty soon I should be hopefully getting an internship at somewhere like Pixar or Dreamworks Studios for Story Boarding and Anamatics. Just want to "get my foot in the door."

And as a side note I used to play Minor Ice Hockey. That was really my dream to play in the NHL, but life happens. Still, art and hockey have always been my passions and loves so I am happy either way. :)

Shinji Mimura
07-12-2011, 07:50 PM
And as a side note I used to play Minor Ice Hockey. That was really my dream to play in the NHL, but life happens. Still, art and hockey have always been my passions and loves so I am happy either way. :)

You really ought to consider pursuring them. Personally, I think people should try to get jobs based off of their #1 interest (assuming their #1 interest has an occupation related to it).

I also grew up being a huge hockey player. I have always loved playing, but wouldn't want to do it professionally, as being moved from state to state (possibly country to country) interferes with what I care about most; having a family, one day. That, and as far as sports go, I'm a bigger fan of doing martial arts than playing an organized team sport.

Never the less, if it really is your dream to do professional hockey, I say go for it. I'm sure it's an enriching (both literally and metaphorically) experience. My dream is to be the lead singer of a famous rock band, and that is why I am choosing to follow my dreams, no matter how difficult, instead of just quitting and being relegated to a normal desk job.

The Hurricane
07-12-2011, 10:35 PM
You really ought to consider pursuring them. Personally, I think people should try to get jobs based off of their #1 interest (assuming their #1 interest has an occupation related to it).

Well, theres also another reason why I didn't pursue it. I have been playing since I was 4, and I am a goalie. Injuries took hold of of me, and if I ever did make it to a professional level, I would have no idea how long phisically my body would let me play for. But in the end, I like what I do now also. My first love actually is to make people smile, and creating an Animation and watching a kids face light up with excitment is priceless.

jason
07-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Interesting. I am a goalie too. I played for Texas Tech for a while, but the city of Lubbock got rid of the ice rink here. I feel you with the injuries though. My knees are terrible now haha.

I work for Jasco Games as the owner and president of Jasco Games. I love my job, and have no time for other hobbies.

-Jason

The Hurricane
07-12-2011, 11:17 PM
Interesting. I am a goalie too. I played for Texas Tech for a while, but the city of Lubbock got rid of the ice rink here. I feel you with the injuries though. My knees are terrible now haha.

Yeah man, lol. I have had so many knee injuries. I've torn my MCL, shifted my growth plate, and have Osgood Slchlatter disease in both knees. So knee injuries are like my thing lol. And I have gotten 4 concussions. 2 majors and 2 minors, and for that reason alone doctors always told me that I should strongly think about quitting. lol But I still play in rec leagues. Who knows... maybe one day I will go try out for Juniors again. We should talk some hockey next time I see you in person! Always love talking to people who have played. Especially people who are my kin, goalies.

Resting Moth
07-13-2011, 12:03 AM
Congratulations Tanner!

Hatman, I completely understand where you're coming from, I don't have any degrees and I'm having trouble getting work, I just got hired at a local fast-food joint where the manager is so flaky that it's been three weeks since she hired me and I still haven't been trained. -_-

I'm currently awaiting a fateful call from an Job Corps (.org) when they'll tell me that I'm officially in the program and can start attending classes. Job Corps is like a boarding school but you learn a specific trade and get a degree while staying in their dorms, all on scholarship. Basically it's my last chance and it'll (hopefully) allow me to have a great, successful career.

tannerface
07-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Man lots of hockey players in here. Jason I don't know why but I am incredibly surprised that there is/was an ice rink in Texas.

So Hurricane do you make like any of your own animated movies or shorts? Animation is something that has always interested me.

ATLPiglet
07-13-2011, 01:07 PM
I am going to school in the fall to be a funeral director :O

Hatman
07-13-2011, 02:09 PM
That seems to be the case with Hatman and Drewkasa as well.
That being said, it's mostly because the "who you know" factor in these kinds of jobs is multiplied tenfold, as everyone and their mother believes they can write good content properly.

The Hurricane
07-13-2011, 04:39 PM
So Hurricane do you make like any of your own animated movies or shorts? Animation is something that has always interested me.

Uhm at this time, I make about 30sec to about 2min shorts. It takes an unbelievable amount of time to even make a 2min short. Soooo yeeaah. But my last class I will take before I graduate is pretty awesome. I will work with a team of other students and a game designer, or someone who has already made an animation movie, or an advertiser will come in and pay us to make a trailer or commercial for them. It will be about 5min long. By the end of my schooling I sould be able and ready to work on a big production pipeline. So its really awesome.

A lot of people don't really understand that making an Animation is a long strenuous process. They think that you just click some buttons on a computer and... POOF... Animation was made. This is not the case at all. It's really fun but hard work. To make just one Animation film it takes approx. 2 years of 12-14hour days 6days a week to do. Lots of all nighters and caffeine. lol But hey, I love what I do and that's why I do it.

If you have any questions about Animation, Tanner, feel free to pm me. I love talking about it, so if you are interested I would be more than happy to have a convo with ya!

tannerface
07-13-2011, 11:54 PM
Like I said I was interested in it. That is not to say I would ever do it. I do understand the amount of time it takes to do animation though, not to mention the cost for most productions like say Avatar that are entirely animation. I wouldn't mind seeing some of your shorts though(sounds dirty).

TripsEX
07-14-2011, 12:44 AM
I work at GameStop (4899 if you need a shipment from Wisconsin for whatever reason), and it's whack. I only do midnights now.
I work at a lazer tag place called CMP Tactical Lazertag. It's actually one of the best jobs I have ever had. I design games and arenas for people to play in.

Shinji Mimura
07-14-2011, 11:28 AM
I just wish I knew a team of animators (flash, hand-drawn, or otherwise) who were looking to work on a project to hone their craft. I've always wanted to put my writings and voice-over work to good use, but without an animation team, it cannot happen :(

tannerface
07-14-2011, 10:07 PM
I work at GameStop (4899 if you need a shipment from Wisconsin for whatever reason), and it's whack. I only do midnights now.
I work at a lazer tag place called CMP Tactical Lazertag. It's actually one of the best jobs I have ever had. I design games and arenas for people to play in.

That lazer tag job sounds awesome.

TripsEX
07-15-2011, 12:57 AM
Yeah. The game itself is really cool, because it's geared toward older players and it's more milsim without the snide remarks.

The best way to describe it is like real life Call of Duty. Everyone is going for headshots, you get to respawn, and you're in multi-level buildings inside a giant warehouse shooting at people to complete an objective. I keep the game fun and balanced by changed the maps around every week and making sure the gun variations aren't too crazy. My boss has mandatory team meetings at a bar down the street after the work day is done.

tannerface
07-16-2011, 05:47 AM
Yeah. The game itself is really cool, because it's geared toward older players and it's more milsim without the snide remarks.

The best way to describe it is like real life Call of Duty. Everyone is going for headshots, you get to respawn, and you're in multi-level buildings inside a giant warehouse shooting at people to complete an objective. I keep the game fun and balanced by changed the maps around every week and making sure the gun variations aren't too crazy. My boss has mandatory team meetings at a bar down the street after the work day is done.

Seriously that place sounds amazing. I so want to go there. Is there like a capture the flag type game? Or rather what are some of the rules.

Also @ATLpiglett- OMG is that really something you would enjoy doing?

TripsEX
07-16-2011, 06:03 AM
what are some of the rules.

Well... We have a few variations on games that we run.

In Urban Warfare (our city), we run...
-King of the Hill/Headquarters (get to the roof of one of the buildings, hold it off until time expires; team holding it at call of time wins)
-Total Defense/1 Flag CTF (Team A attacks one building, tries to recover both flags)
-V.I.P. Extraction (get a special player up to a certain building roof without the other team knowing what building or player it is, they do get an intel leak)
-Generals (your General dies, your team loses)

The Complex (our warehouse/office setting) has...
-Stockpile (capture and defend objective cubes)
-Domination (control X number of points at the end of time)

Both sides have...
-Search and Destroy (our fake bomb looks AMAZING. It has a keypad and a working timer)
-Hostage (save a neutral hostage player, usually me since I am a good hostage)
-Tactical TDM (one life, no respawns)

- - -

It's a good game because it simulates wave after wave of enemies coming at you. You respawn, you're never really out of the game unless it's a Tactical/One Life variation, and head shots only. That means someone peeks around a corner, you take their fscking head off. It's really rad. When you're in MKE, you have to play.

tannerface
07-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Man now I am just sad that it's not here. That sounds like the most amazing game ever.