PDA

View Full Version : Ymirfang: A discussion

B-Rad
07-16-2010, 01:20 AM
Right so recently folks around town have started running Ymirfang in various decks that can run it. It kind of caught my off guard because I've always felt that it's utter garbage and there's just so many better assets decks can run.

Let's look at the stats and such shall we:

Diff 3

Problem the first I have with it. It's a 3 difficulty asset that is now most likely included with a 3 difficulty foundation which in Fire could be Communing with the Ancients, The Ultimate Team, or Shadowar. In Death it could be Need to Destroy. In Earth, depending on the build it could be Bloodline Rebellion or Enraged Golem. It just makes it harder to spam.

Control 4

Another problem imho. That lack of a 5 makes it more of a liability to your deck and your first couple of turns of spamming. While yes there's a chance you can check attacks and 4 cc foundations, usually those are kept to a certain number in a deck, and throwing in another 2-3 4cc cards lowers the overall check value or the deck and may again, take the deck slot of a 4cc foundation which in the end is more usefull.

+2Mid Block

No complaints, it passes.

Death, Earth, Fire symbols:

Fire sports assets like Hilde's Weapon, Reaver Axe, Valkreyja Shield, Paul's Gi, Wonderworld (both of them)... Why in the holy hell would you even need this?

Death sports Hoola Hoop, Scroll of the Abyss (another 3 diff), and Tekken Forces. It looks like it asset slots are pretty hefty as is.

Earth is semi lacking in good assets at the moment, so an argument could be made for it to fit into an earth deck.

Abilities:

E: Destroy 1 foundation: This attack gets +3 damage, you may only play attacks for the rest of the turn.

This in my opinion just makes the card not viable. While yes it is a reusable ability, the fact that it has to blow up a foundation, and the negative of the fact if your kill turn is aborted (via say, reverse Pommel or Gut Drill, or even the fact you can't punch through yet) then you have already blown up resources, AND it can't even commit itself to pass foundations. It in turn makes itself a major liability, especially if your opponent has a few tricks up his sleeve.

E: Lose 2 vitality: If your attack does 4 or more damage, destroy an asset.

This ability is decent, but given today's heavy damage redux meta, it's hard to pull off. Cards such as Defeated the Rifle in fire, Sigfried's/Rashotep's blanking support (Ka Technique, Memories of a Nightmare), and Scroll of the Abyss in Death (which admittedly has to blow itself up to do), there's plenty of Asset hate going around.

I just feel that the card is overrated, and that's it's drawbacks far outweigh it's usefulness. Any thoughts?

Yoko Charming Fox
07-16-2010, 10:45 AM
I don't think it would be bad in mountain decks like King. Just because and extra +3 damage to several throws and one turn can help, and it does not have the 5 or more printed damage requirement that Unstoppable Warrior has. Allowing you to get Kings 4 damage trows up to 7 damage making it easyer to deal 4 damage for its second ability.

I think it could also work in death, but, like you said, if a had access to any death asset I want Ymirfang would get overshadowed by other cards.

I can't see my self ever running Ymirfang in fire. Fire just has to many other good cards.

In conclusion, I don't think Ymirfang is crap, but its not tire 1. It will probalby just get forgotten after a few sets when better cards get released.

Da_ghetto_gamer
07-16-2010, 04:33 PM
I think its more that people want to try everything and see what works and what doesnt since weve had all this extra time to play with the current standard legal cards.....Its not a bad card by any means its just overshadowed by alot of other cards that have better utility overall

I like it for its asset destruction but i dont feel like games last long enough for it to actually be useful more then once and there are alot more damage pumps in those symbols most of which are better and cost less/check better...but if its working for people in your playgroup then by all means let them use it i just dont see it being a card your going to see very often

DabalRowRaizah
07-16-2010, 07:50 PM
fire doesn't need it. earth i never played but they do have access to hungry. death doesn't really have any real damage pump so its pretty decent in that. it can also work with all life is prey.

Hatman
07-17-2010, 01:16 AM
The damage pump is just fluff, really. You activate it if you've got nothing else to play afterwards or if you're planning on only playing attacks because of an orange hand. It's the Asset D that's more important to Ymirfang's awesomeness.

As you can see, I personally swear by this card as it can screw up an opponent quite nicely. Throne Room? Ymirfang it. GNFH? Ymirfang it. Another Ymirfang? You know the drill.

Before PotM was banned (and before I got tired of King), our Astrid/King match-ups generally went : "Who can put Ymirfang on the table first and protect it?"

TripsEX
07-17-2010, 01:27 AM
It's asset destruction tool for symbols that need it. Every other symbol can use the scrolls, and Earth needs it.

Hatman
07-17-2010, 01:44 AM
Death can use a scroll.

TripsEX
07-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Death can use a scroll.

Can Earth?

Hatman
07-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Can Earth?

No, but just saying Death shouldn't really count, although honestly, Ymirfang is better than the Scroll because it doesn't destroy itself.

Bloodrunstrue
07-18-2010, 02:35 PM
I don't think it would be bad in mountain decks like King. Just because and extra +3 damage to several throws and one turn can help, and it does not have the 5 or more printed damage requirement that Unstoppable Warrior has. Allowing you to get Kings 4 damage trows up to 7 damage making it easyer to deal 4 damage for its second ability.

I think it could also work in death, but, like you said, if a had access to any death asset I want Ymirfang would get overshadowed by other cards.

I can't see my self ever running Ymirfang in fire. Fire just has to many other good cards.

In conclusion, I don't think Ymirfang is crap, but its not tire 1. It will probalby just get forgotten after a few sets when better cards get released.

I was going to make a credible comment, but this about sums up my feelings.

Nice one Sephiroth
Bloodrunstrue

Hatman
07-18-2010, 10:24 PM
I'm sure you're all well aware of this, but the next set is in October (as we are told, at least). Saying it might suck in the future means pretty much nothing for the next 2-3 months, and even then, Earth's had a lot of cards in the last few sets and I'd expect it and Fire to not be on many cards in the next set.