PDA

View Full Version : Very Sad Day

RockStar
07-22-2011, 10:29 AM
It was announced yesterday that Borders Books and Music will officially be closing the doors to ALL of their stores, citing a poor economic climate, and the emergence of eReaders as to the main reasons why they're going out of business.

It's a sad day for me, as my very first CD Tour waaaay back in 2002 was a Borders Books and Music tour. During that Summer, and over the span of 16 weeks, i played EVERY Borders Books and Music store in Northern California from Monterey, CA all the way up to Elk Grove, CA; sometimes, with my band, or sometimes as an acoustic duo.

I have so many fond memories of that place, it's hard to imagine that very shortly, starting August 1st, there will be no more Borders Books and Music ANYWHERE, except maybe online, but no physical location for me or anyone else to spend an hour or two with a mocha in hand, simply perusing and doing some light reading on all the new best-sellers.

Very sad day for me, indeed...

~ RockStar

Zardis
07-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Aw man that sucks :/ is always sad when those places that bring back good memories are gone u.u

Dillon
07-22-2011, 12:19 PM
ya that would be like me losing my local shop after 5 years =[

TripsEX
07-22-2011, 03:01 PM
They've all been closed around me for months now.

Hatman
07-22-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm too international for this to affect me.

But for reals, I feel for you.

Shenron
07-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Ya, I feel you Roxkstar. I had a Borders about a half of a block from my apartment and it closed down months ago..I have spent countless hours in Borders across the country.

I think the CEO had no idea what he was doing, I mean a business that big and famous to just be gone like thatr?

Vexion
07-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Awww! Borders was where I could get the stuff that Barns & Noble wouldn't carry.. Like some of my manga... And the book of Forbidden Knowledge...

Shenron
07-24-2011, 02:08 AM
Also, borders was a great place to pick up chicks.

Shaneth
07-24-2011, 04:45 PM
i would always sit my little 8yr old ass down in the magazine section and read cheats from nintendo power or something

RockStar
07-24-2011, 05:37 PM
Yeah, all of these are great memories we should cherish! Went in to the Sunnyvale Borders and there was a line of people stretching all the way from the counter registers at the very front of the store all the way to the back of the store by the cafe. EVERYONE was holding a TON of product. It was great to see. It was sad to see, all at the same time.

Waiting for their RPGs to go on more than 10% discount, and then i'm stocking up on a bunch of dnd 4e material!! :)

Shenron
07-25-2011, 11:23 AM
Yeah, all of these are great memories we should cherish! Went in to the Sunnyvale Borders and there was a line of people stretching all the way from the counter registers at the very front of the store all the way to the back of the store by the cafe. EVERYONE was holding a TON of product. It was great to see. It was sad to see, all at the same time.

Waiting for their RPGs to go on more than 10% discount, and then i'm stocking up on a bunch of dnd 4e material!! :)

Same thing happened here. I waited until their RPG's hit like 40 percent off. I think I picked up the DM's Pack for 4e Essentials, DC Adventures, and a WOD book.