PDA

View Full Version : Something so simple but would actually make sense...

Grizzlegrom
08-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Since there is and always will be a lack of 1/5 foundations for all symbols I propose this card:

Name Under Construction :p
Foundation
Infinity
1 Difficulty 5 Control +1 Mid Block
Infinity Watermark (Always Legal)

I know people are against infinity but I think if it is something like this I don't think it matters as much as cards like Olcadan's Mentoring and it could have an ability like E: Commit this attack gets +1 or -1 Speed or something like that nothing super overpowered but generic enough it isn't going to be stupid I was just wondering thoughts on a card similar to this it could be a promo or in a set it doesn't really matter

Zardis
08-01-2011, 09:01 AM
Actually it sounds interesting, kinda like the effect of Infected

the 0/6 one I think it was Air/Life/Something

E, commit: Your attack gets +1 Speed. Only if your attack has more speed than damage. (Or viceversa?) lol don't remember

Grizzlegrom
08-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Actually it sounds interesting, kinda like the effect of Infected

the 0/6 one I think it was Air/Life/Something

E, commit: Your attack gets +1 Speed. Only if your attack has more speed than damage. (Or viceversa?) lol don't remember

These would probably be best as a promo kind of like universal fighter that you get at prereleases to help you get a decent foundation base and would help out standard as well

Zardis
08-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Yeah, they could also throw things like this in the future if they add God Packs again

The Hurricane
09-15-2011, 01:45 AM
I wanted to bring this topic back up... as I think it is a really cool and solid idea. Something balanced like you said Kirk:

"The Universal Foundation"
Foundation
Infinity
1/5 +1M
E Commit: This attack gets +1 Speed or +1 Damage.

Just "Universal Foundations" like that. Spam, solid check, good block, mediocre ability, that is availible to all characters and symbols. I think this could be cool as a "New" version of FoP.

Make the abilities like:

1) E Commit: This attack gets +1 Speed or +1 Damage
2) E Commit: This attack gets -1 Speed or -1 Damage
3) E Commit: Discard 1 card. Draw 1 card.
Etc Etc.

You guys get the point. So what do you all think about this.

Discuss.

wafflecopter
09-15-2011, 01:52 AM
Why should this be strictly better than Carefree? Make it a 1/5 +2M at best IMO. If it has abilities, +3M

Or maybe +3L because people whine about how few low blocks there are? :P

The Hurricane
09-15-2011, 02:03 AM
Alright I feel ya on that one.

So you could have three, something like:

1) 1/5 +3H E Commit: This attack gets +1 Speed or +1 Damage.
2) 1/5 +3M E Commit: This attack gets -1 Speed or -1 Damage.
3) 1/5 +3L E Commit: Discard 1 card. Draw 1 card.

Thoughts?

Vanguard
09-15-2011, 07:12 AM
1/5 +3L E Commit: Discard 1 card. Draw 1 card.
This would really be overpowered : better stats than Controller of Souls (which is already a great card), a block where CoS has none, and the "discard 1 card" as part of the effect (which means you would still draw when you have no cards in hand). Ouch !

I, for one, would prefer that Jasco edited new, interesting 1/5 foundations for all symbols in Tides of Vengeance (like they did in RH01). I don't really like the idea of the "Universal Promo" that everybody will need 40 copies of (yes, I always have 10 or more decks builded at any given time). I still have nightmares regarding Paid to Protect (which I would need 16 of, whereas I currently have 2...)

HypeMan!
09-15-2011, 08:58 AM
I personally feel 1/5 foundations for every symbol is not a good idea. Some symbols should be limited in their start up or lack of 1 drops in exchange for a stronger late game. Just giving symbols 1/5 might not jive for how some symbols roll, especially with abilities printed on those 1/5s.

Hatman
09-15-2011, 11:14 AM
I personally feel 1/5 foundations for every symbol is not a good idea. Some symbols should be limited in their start up or lack of 1 drops in exchange for a stronger late game. Just giving symbols 1/5 might not jive for how some symbols roll, especially with abilities printed on those 1/5s.

Most times though, late game doesn't exist. It is a mere illusion.

That being said, Infinity foundations with blocks are a horrible idea. It completely eliminates the risk of playing a dual/tri symbol deck.

dutpotd
09-15-2011, 01:45 PM
That being said, Infinity foundations with blocks are a horrible idea. It completely eliminates the risk of playing a dual/tri symbol deck.

I'm a fan of dual/tri symbol decks and I'm a friend of Kirk and know where he's coming from on this (okay, I'll admit the guys is just addicted to spam foundations ^^) but I don't like the idea.

I am a fan for a select few more spam foundations, but I don't feel they need to be infinity or with great blocks per se.

HypeMan!
09-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Most times though, late game doesn't exist. It is a mere illusion.

Agreed on both points. I hope that as the current format develops, a turn 1 or 2 kill becomes much more of an achievement than the norm and games going a little longer, but not degenerate into stall decks long term or gray wall.

JinKazama
09-17-2011, 07:31 AM
I like this idea, but I think its a horrible idea for foundations to ever have good blocks in standard
maybe something like

1/4 + 3 block
infinity

F Commit: Draw 1 card (only playable if your characters hand size is less than your opponents)

F Commit: Draw 2 cards (only playable if your characters hand size is 5)

RockStar
09-17-2011, 08:18 AM
I like this idea, but I think its a horrible idea for foundations to ever have good blocks in standard
maybe something like

1/4 + 3 block
infinity

F Commit: Draw 1 card (only playable if your characters hand size is less than your opponents)

F Commit: Draw 2 cards (only playable if your characters hand size is 5)

I think these are good ideas, but that they also need either be Unique, or only playable once per turn. Otherwise, God Draw on T1 for a 5 hs means they're starting with 9 cards in hand T2 (min).

guitalex2010
09-17-2011, 12:42 PM
How about a Carefree for everyone? Why are we even considering giving a card with infinity ANY effects? Then the symbol who needs it most now has an easy, low difficulty tool.

Make is a 0/5, Infinity, +1M block with NO TEXT and you've got yourself some balance.

HypeMan!
09-17-2011, 01:43 PM
I really REALLY, don't like the idea of giving a universal blank foundation. It just seems... water down I guess. It is possible to make 1 diff foundations for all the symbols without just being a general do nothing. Temptress is proof of that, being a great 1cc for Chaos Evil and Water and having an ability that does over power the start up or gives an ability of the symbol too cheaply.

guitalex2010
09-17-2011, 04:44 PM
I really REALLY, don't like the idea of giving a universal blank foundation. It just seems... water down I guess. It is possible to make 1 diff foundations for all the symbols without just being a general do nothing. Temptress is proof of that, being a great 1cc for Chaos Evil and Water and having an ability that does over power the start up or gives an ability of the symbol too cheaply.I think you mean 0 diff, not 1CC.

A blank foundation with good stats is not a terrible idea. Carefree is used. And the best part of Carefree is seeing Xianghua high on X.

Oh yeah, and it's a 1/5 +1M.

The Hurricane
09-17-2011, 07:14 PM
I like the idea of having a universal 1/5 with a block w/ no ability. Just extra spam for every symbol. I think it could be useful. And I know people are "Scared" of the infinity symbol but obviously Jasco has been thinking about it because oh look at that... a new character has infinity. Just sayin.

MasWasTooShort
09-18-2011, 05:24 AM
Infinity on a foundation = Anyone can play it.
Infinity on a non-starting character = It could theoretically play anything but it means deviating from the starting character's resources to do so; it'll probably cost you.

Also, I'd like to quickly list every Earth foundation in Standard with 0 or 1 difficulty:

The Man Behind the Mask - Desperation E: This attack gets +1 or -1 Damage.

Know Your Objective - Desperation E Commit: Choose one foundation in your opponent's staging area that has an ability that reduces damage and it turn it face down. That card is considered a foundation with a blank text box.
E Commit: This attack gets -2 speed.

Torn Hero - After this card is committed due to your opponent's effect, choose two foundations in your opponent's staging area and commit them.
R Discard 1 momentum: Before your opponent commits a card in your staging area, they commit this card instead.

Brooding - E Lose 1 Vitality: This attack gets +1 damage.

See how the ones for changing speed and damage pretty much suck? That's the pretty much the ceiling for power right there.

JinKazama
09-18-2011, 11:08 AM
If u think brooding, man behind the mask, and know your objective suck u must not play standard,
those cards are all pretty good actually

guitalex2010
09-18-2011, 11:45 AM
I like the idea of having a universal 1/5 with a block w/ no ability. Just extra spam for every symbol. I think it could be useful. And I know people are "Scared" of the infinity symbol but obviously Jasco has been thinking about it because oh look at that... a new character has infinity. Just sayin.He does, but he can't be a starting character. So whatever setup is required to put him into play makes the extra effort worth it.

OLCADAN, on the other hand...

MasWasTooShort
09-18-2011, 01:18 PM
If u think brooding, man behind the mask, and know your objective suck u must not play standard,
those cards are all pretty good actually

I couldn't think of a better way of communicating the idea that "E Commit: This attack gets either +1 damage or -1 damage" was actually overpowered for a 1 difficulty card.