PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Things To Do Before a Convention

Shaneth
08-01-2011, 02:13 PM
5) Clip your toenails.

You will be doing A LOT of walking, especially if you visit the dealer hall. The last thing u want is a pair of ripped socks (or shoes, depending on how sharp) because ur toenails pierced them.

4) Remember your meds.

If you know me and Chubbz, you know we have a hyperactivity disorder that occurs when we meet people who we have not seen in quite some time. At Worlds 2007, I took my meds and it resulted in me not getting kicked out of the convention, although it made my hands cold as old-man-winter Omar when I was in top cuts (ask Steve Horvath about Shane Duckworth's Iceberg Handshake).

In Worlds 2008, Chubbz and I forgot our medz, which resulted in us almost being kicked out 4 times each, and Chubbs playing top 16 with his shirt off (how he made top 16 with that Elena deck is still beyond my comprehension).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQP38fRCMas

At Worlds 2009, I took my meds, but Chubbz didn't, and when Magnus called Chubbz weak, Chubbz threw him to the ground and started doing pushups on him, and the whole Naruto community just HAD to make a scene and pull out their phones for a picture. Then somebody called security and when me, Chubbz, Hughes, and MickyD were all walking out of the TCG hall, we saw the security team walk past us. What a save!

3) Clip your fingernails.

If I reach across the table to shake your hand after 2-0'ing you senseless, and your fingernails induce blood from my palms, I will not be a very happy UFSer. If you plan to do this to me, at least bring bandaids (latex free).

2) Hide drinks in your backpack.

Unless you want to pay $4 for a 20oz bottle of coke, bring your own drinks. And the machines do not take 5 dollar bills.

At Worlds 2007 I was thirsty as hell and there were no water fountains in sight (cheap bastards). I had no 1's on me, so I went around asking about 15 people if they could split a 5. I finally found Ian Firth and asked him if he could split a 5, and he said, "Yes, I bought a hot dog from a hot dog stand last night and I gave him a 20 and he gave me 19 1's back."
Unless you can find that hot dog stand 4 years later, just bring your own drink to make it easier.

Oh yeah and at Nationals 2008 I was so parched that I paid $5 for a lemonade that consisted of 85% ice. How dare they charge me that much.

1) Work on your manners. And be nice to everyone.

I may talk a lot of smack on the boards, but any player who has met me in person will tell you that I am one of the most polite players you will ever meet. If I 2-0 you within 4 minutes and 23 seconds, don't go stomping off and crying in the bathroom (COUGHscubaCOUGH) because that puts a taint in what makes the community so clutch.

I hope to have great times this year. I hope to meet new people and catch up with the players who I have spent time with in the past.

Every time I go to Gencon, I have a blast. Don't dissapoint me, UFS community.

TripsEX
08-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Amendment 6: Packing

Make sure you packing is prepared packing! Be ready for anything that might happen. Does your hotel have a pool? Will you possibly get a stain on your cool LOLCAT shirt? Will it be raining, or super hot the entire time? Don't come sit down at the card table with the smell of chlorine on you, or drenched in sweat because you only brought hoodies. The best advice is to make a list of things to bring either today or tonight, and then start packing that stuff up! (This includes pivotal things you will need in matches too, like dice or pen/paper.)

If at all possible, if you could have brought it to GenCon (and it's not illegal), don't buy it at GenCon. You'll get killed in the wallet area.

Shaneth
08-01-2011, 02:59 PM
omg dont get me started on smelly card game players....................

I hate it when I am sitting across from a person and they are eating a pizza then they brush their hands off on their clothes, offer you a handshake, and then pick up your deck and start shuffling it OMG it should seriously be a crime to do that, like, damage of property. How dare you get my sleeves all greasy like i seriously want to dropkick them in the nuts

TripsEX
08-01-2011, 03:19 PM
If I don't like you touching my cards, then you're salty and going to need to use some hand sanitizer. Keep it in my bag for a reason.

Grizzlegrom
08-01-2011, 04:39 PM
If I don't like you touching my cards, then you're salty and going to need to use some hand sanitizer. Keep it in my bag for a reason.

You're my hero lol...

HypeMan!
08-01-2011, 06:37 PM
The ball game prices on food is truth. Last year I got back to my room and found I was out $40 and all I could remember buying was a bottle of coke and a hotdog. It was stupid. My best advice for nourishment is a good breakfast in the room and then a good dinner after we call it a night. Usually at the Ram. Saturday or Friday we'll go to Bucca-di-Beppo. Bring some snackage for between rounds.

Pack light. I might bring a laptop if I have a webcam but past that and a deck I'm not carrying anything. You won't walk a ton if you don't want to but the less you have to keep up with the better.

And it will be hot. Prep for 80+ weather and please guys, deodorant. I dont want to be caught macing anyone with a can of axe. Ive almost done that at cons.

This is for a different kind of con, but the squirrel speaks truth. (NSFW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maOk2inUjLg

aslum
08-01-2011, 07:46 PM
There is a grocery store about 6 blocks away from the convention. Their prices are not going to be sky high in honor of the convention. When I get in Wednesday I make it a point to go buy a loaf of bread, a bag of ziplock baggies, and some PB & J. Each day I pack 2-3 sandwiches in my back pack, and I also take a water bottle with me. Dotted through out the convention area are filtered water fountains which is great for refills, but even the regular water fountains near the bathrooms are better than paying $5 for a soda. Get some water-flavor thingies and maybe some granola bars and your wallet AND stomach will love you.

Comfortable shoes are must as mentioned. Shower EVERY day. Deodorant alone is not enough. Another perk of packing light is it'll be easier to keep an eye on your stuff. Make sure you have a decent backpack or man-purse (no offense to the ladies, hopefully you're already sensible in this regard) that can hold ALL of the stuff you plan on carrying around for the day. Inevitably you'll pick up something that doesn't fit in your back pack, it'll be a pain if you don't have a hand free. Also those plastic goodie bags you get with registration get heavy after carrying it around for 3 days and filling it with all the junk you don't have a good spot to put.

Make sure you have your cellphone charger. And a spare battery if you have one. Bring some cash in small bills just in case of emergencies.

If you want to take pictures of cosplayers, ask first. 99.9% of the time they'll be happy to have their picture taken, and will likely even pose for/with you.

generalreaction2.0
08-01-2011, 09:09 PM
why is "shower before the event" not listed? also i had almost forgotten about shane playing topless

HypeMan!
08-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Pants off dance off.