PDA

View Full Version : No Forgiveness + Maniacal Laughter

SMazzurco
07-21-2010, 04:39 PM
I have Maniacal Laughter in play. I am attacked and my opponent uses No Forgiveness to turn it upside down.

I then destroy my "Face down foundation with a blank text box". Do i get the free momentum or no?

RockStar
07-21-2010, 05:14 PM
I think that because Maniacal became a "foundation with a blank text box" you wouldn't get the free momentum. The 'blanking' of text even includes the static text.

I believe that the ability to look underneath a blanked foundation, and identify what card it is, is simply for its interaction with cards like Deceptively Quick, which count like number of the same-named foundations.

SMazzurco
07-21-2010, 05:48 PM
I agree, but looking for an "official" just to be safe. When it is in the discard pile (and thus the text is back) i think it is just a card and not a foundation.

I have seen stranger rulings though, so want to be sure, lol

RockStar
07-21-2010, 05:52 PM
An official ruling would be nice, fo sho.

I would argue that since the static text says: "After this foundation is destroyed...", that if this card were blanked, than the window for it to trigger would be long gone, since the moment it's destroyed it's considered to be a foundation with a blank text box. It only hits the discard pile after it's already been destroyed, thus the window for the static ability to grant a momentum should have already passed.

Still, official ruling will be official.

Tagrineth
07-26-2010, 02:45 PM
I'd say the static text won't trigger because it wasn't active while in play, and abilities generally don't work in out-of-play zones unless they Golden Rule. I'd want a clarification from Jason though since it could go either way.

jason
07-27-2010, 11:32 AM
The static text is blanked at the time when the trigger would go off, thus there is no trigger. The text will return to the card once it leaves the staging area.

SMazzurco
07-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the replies