PDA

View Full Version : Attack cards VS Attacks

DFNZ
07-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Hello all,

A situation occur involving my opponent playing as an old promo Nightmare***, that had an ability that reads:

"R Commit: After you fail the control check to play an attack, that control check is successful. That attack gets -X damage. X equals the amount the control check failed by."

How the situations goes, during combat phase of my turn I played an attack as a form, played my enchances etc to get it become a very fast, lethal damage attack. My opponent attempts to block with a attack card with a block modifier, makes a control check, failed the check, my opponent used Nightmare***'s Response ability, and somehow it made to check sucessful?

Now can Nightmare***'s response even be played like that? To me, the wording on Nightmare***'s response is meant to be used on attack cards with the intentions of entering into the Attack Sequence (Enchance step, block step, damage step etc), not to play attack cards as a blocks.

Now can anyone help clarify this? It's been bugging me for a few weeks now.

Thanks

Sato Arashi
07-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Can not be used that way. The card being used to block your attack is not going through the normal steps attacks would have, therefore the ability has no valid target and fizzles. If the attack is going to go through the steps under normal circumstances, the ability can be used.

RockStar
07-22-2010, 01:11 AM
Actually, i believe it DOES work that way.

Promo Terry has an ability that reads R Discard 1 Momentum: Your control check to play an attack gets +1. RAW, I used to play that ability to pass Burning Knuckle as a Block all the time.

It doesn't matter if Nightmare is playing an Attack as an Attack, or as a Block. The first part of the ability before the 'period' is satisfied. The rest of the ability that deals with -X dmg, the rest of the ability after that first sentence, fizzles.

NJBrock22
07-22-2010, 01:42 AM
yes it works the way you think it does, it's been played that way since the day Nightmare3 was released, remember when you play a card you are playing a card AND it's card TYPE(Action, Asset, Char, Attack, Foundation) THATS what matters so yep, play attack as block, reduce it down to 0 damage and auto pass the check.

N.J.

DFNZ
07-22-2010, 02:08 PM
yes it works the way you think it does, it's been played that way since the day Nightmare3 was released, remember when you play a card you are playing a card AND it's card TYPE(Action, Asset, Char, Attack, Foundation) THATS what matters so yep, play attack as block, reduce it down to 0 damage and auto pass the check.

N.J.

So for example, if I was using a attack card to be played as a block, I can use fountations like For the Money to give it +2 to its check?

SMazzurco
07-22-2010, 02:08 PM
So for example, if I was using a attack card to be played as a block, I can use fountations like For the Money to give it +2 to its check?

Most definately. Do it all the time.

Tagrineth
07-23-2010, 04:07 AM
Yup. The only case where this doesn't happen is Heel Snipe, which has the awkward phrasing of "When you play this card as an attack..." to avoid its text triggering on blocking.