PDA

View Full Version : Canada Nats?

The Hurricane
09-15-2011, 02:14 AM
So I know US Nats is now gonna be in January and the UK is trying to get one going sometime in October if Im not mistaken... What about a Canadian Nats?

You guys up there ever going to have one?

I would totally be interested in traveling up there to throw down with you guys!

idk, I was just thinking about it lol...

Hatman
09-15-2011, 11:07 AM
I can safely say that there hasn't been a Canadian National tournament since 2009 and the shenanigans that went on behind the scenes of that tournament is pretty much discouraging a lot of people from throwing one.

We'd (note that we being around here locally) LOVE to throw a tournament but when we proposed the idea, it was rejected outright for reasons I will not get into for they infuriate me to no end.

I'll recognize that the actual geographical location is a legit argument, though.

dutpotd
09-15-2011, 01:06 PM
I can safely say that there hasn't been a Canadian National tournament since 2009 and the shenanigans that went on behind the scenes of that tournament is pretty much discouraging a lot of people from throwing one.

We'd (note that we being around here locally) LOVE to throw a tournament but when we proposed the idea, it was rejected outright for reasons I will not get into for they infuriate me to no end.

I'll recognize that the actual geographical location is a legit argument, though.

I'll travel to Quebec to play. And the other large Canadian group isn't to far away in Toronto. Obviously I'd travel to either.

The sad fact is my Calgary play group is very off and on with UFS. They play enough to keep me up to date for tourney's but with only one 99 card set in the last year and a half, and distributor issues to boot, we don't have a big enough group to host or make up a Nationals level group of players. I hope and expect a lot of this to change once the core set is released and more people realize Jasco/RH/new licenses is for serious.

Hatman
09-15-2011, 01:17 PM
As I said, however, there are other considerations that would prevent us from running successful tournament with a great turn out that, as I said, I won't get into (because they are stupid as :):):):)).

We're not "off and on" about UFS but we are getting quite annoyed at the distribution problems around here. It's getting ridiculous.

dutpotd
09-15-2011, 01:29 PM
We're not "off and on" about UFS but we are getting quite annoyed at the distribution problems around here. It's getting ridiculous.

Yeah, Canada in general doesn't have good distribution of the UFS game at the moment and that's that.

Hatman
09-15-2011, 02:00 PM
At the moment?

Try forever. Even FFG had it's problems.

dutpotd
09-15-2011, 02:08 PM
At the moment?

Try forever. Even FFG had it's problems.

Yep, you got me there!

Lord of Mudkips
09-15-2011, 03:02 PM
i'm always willing to travel for some lulz. but then, i'd need to improve my luck skills. oh and get some UFS around here...

jason
09-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Getting Canadian distributors to carry UFS has been a bit of an issue. The burn they got from the game dying really made it hard for them to invest into a new company. We hope this changes in the near future as we introduce new licenses and extremely awesome products.

dutpotd
09-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Getting Canadian distributors to carry UFS has been a bit of an issue. The burn they got from the game dying really made it hard for them to invest into a new company. We hope this changes in the near future as we introduce new licenses and extremely awesome products.

Pretty much sums up my/(our still dedicated Canadian players) perspective exactly.

That understood, a Canadian Nationals event wouldn't really make sense under the current circumstances. But the future is ours and you will be invited!

- dut

Hatman
09-15-2011, 07:49 PM
That understood, a Canadian Nationals event wouldn't really make sense under the current circumstances. But the future is ours and you will be invited!

Hell, we even had troubles settling on an area to do the tournament in BEFORE the game went under as we were all in agreement that, well, '09 wasn't that great.

Deck Dont Matter
09-16-2011, 11:02 PM
I actually want to know what happened in 2009...I mean I remember the issues that happen in 2008 where I dropped after both antigoth and I were explaining that Addes Syndicate had been errata'd right before the event but because it was during transition from Sabertooth to Fantasy Flight the "judge" of the event had no clue...and let that degenerate Curse broken /Syndicate stuff go on :(

S_OBrien
09-17-2011, 04:34 PM
We would love to make the trip up to Toronto or Montreal from Rochester.

The Hurricane
09-17-2011, 07:07 PM
I don't know what happened at the last Canadian Nats, but its a new company, new atmospher, and pretty much a new game. I think UFS is the healthiest it has been in a really long time. And I thank Jasco for this. I was just saying it would be really cool to go to a Canadian Nats. Im in California and I would love to travel up there and throw down with you guys in a competitive tourney. Plus I like Canada and would love to make a vacation out of it.

All I am saying is I think it could be time again to try and get a Nationals back up in Canada.

Lord of Mudkips
09-17-2011, 11:48 PM
back then, i'd say Jay (mr. platinum) got sick of the game and perhaps the support. thats just my guess.

Link
09-18-2011, 12:47 AM
the problem wasnt any shenanigans. it was that Jay didnt want to pay for the Nats kit and up until the day before there was NO prize support so we got some jank promos and a Kingdom Hearts promo instead of the binders and life counters.

Hatman
09-19-2011, 12:32 PM
the problem wasnt any shenanigans. it was that Jay didnt want to pay for the Nats kit and up until the day before there was NO prize support so we got some jank promos and a Kingdom Hearts promo instead of the binders and life counters.
Pretty much this. Especially considering that nobody even knew if the event was going to have any prizes at all on Friday evening was what the :):):):)-esque.

Frailelement
02-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Also here for Rochester NY. I'm with Sean on this one I'd love to do this would be very cool.

Janka
02-28-2012, 08:34 PM
I would be down for this.

PvtChurch
04-21-2012, 06:38 PM
I've been discussing things with friends, and it may be a bit short notice, but how about July 20-22 in Winnipeg at our anime convention, Ai-Kon? Would enough people be good for this that I should book it?

Cass
04-21-2012, 08:07 PM
I am waiting new from Jason for booking the CanNats in Montréal in Sept.-Oct. I guess it all depend on how many peoples each city can get for this tournament.

PvtChurch
04-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Ah, good. As long as it happens somewhere, I'll be happy. What about getting a regionals or PTC happening up here? Would that attract players? I've hosted regionals here myself before, it had a good, but not great turnout.

PvtChurch
06-11-2012, 05:10 AM
Has there been any further news pertaining to this? I'm getting more of our players back into the game, and if we can get a nationals not too far from us, I'm sure their interest would skyrocket.

The Hurricane
06-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Hey can we get a finalized date on this? Some person from California wants to go. ((:

He wants to plan as far in advanced as possible for cheap tickets and such.

Thanks!

Cass
06-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Oy!

I'll try to get you guys a date as soon as possible, most probably i'll have a final date somewhere around july. I'll keep everyone informed!